• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Then even a Gog connect like won't even help you to be a competitor to Steam (not a niche competitor but a real one).
Steam allows you to launch games not coming from Steam. Pricewise they are killing with all their seasonal rebates that people are waiting for them.
They have been pretty fair to consumers.
You don't even hope to try to compete unless you are playing dirty like Epic and even then I don't think it would work in the long run.
How would you people think a fair competitor would be able to compete, starting from nothing ?
- Better pricing than Steam (this happens regularly on other stores so isn't impossible)
- Improved usability / user interface
- Useful features that Steam doesn't have, or improved versions of Steam functionality
- Reward system (e.g. loyalty points for purchases)

Epic have done none of this.

Edit: My last sentence is not quite true. As Jaded Alyx points out, regional pricing is better in some countries, and available in more countries, than on Steam.

Last edited:

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018

It's a good little read and highlights exactly why so many indie devs are biting for the timed exclusivity when Epic comes by with the bags of money. They know that the PC games market is so overly saturated that trying to get peoples attention on a platform like Steam is extremely difficult, let alone convincing people to then part with their money. They're no doubt extremely aware that sales figures on the Epic store will be infinitely lower than Steam, but with the increased visibility and higher revenue split combined with the Epic moneyhat, it seems like a no brainer and I don't blame the devs that do it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's a good little read and highlights exactly why so many indie devs are biting for the timed exclusivity when Epic comes by with the bags of money. They know that the PC games market is so overly saturated that trying to get peoples attention on a platform like Steam is extremely difficult, let alone convincing people to then part with their money. They're no doubt extremely aware that sales figures on the Epic store will be infinitely lower than Steam, but with the increased visibility and higher revenue split combined with the Epic moneyhat, it seems like a no brainer and I don't blame the devs that do it.
Seems like you're missing the point of that article. People who play F2P games tend to not buy premium games.

In Epic's case: Fortnite players. They'd rather buy Fortnite items than spend money on games that they don't care about. Because all they do is play Fortnite.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I don't know why you all talks about third party keys resellers boycott from Epic? I see the division 2 at a discount right now on CDKeys.

You could have read the OP. Sweeney literally said that he won't allow key reselling for games they moneyhat.

Also, cdkeys isn't an official key reseller. They are selling keys from retail games.

Zophop

Apr 12, 2018
Seems like you're missing the point of that article. People who play F2P games tend to not buy premium games.

In Epic's case: Fortnite players.

Sorry, the point I was trying to make that I'm sure indie devs are VERY much aware that they're likely not going to get many sales from the EGS, but the payout from Epic is enough to convince them to try their luck. Any sales are just an additional bonus.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

In Epic's case: Fortnite players. They'd rather buy Fortnite items than spend money on games that they don't care about. Because all they do is play Fortnite.
and how many times have we seen people say "I have an account on Epic store, but just for the free games". Devs are competing not just with Fortnite, but the free games Epic have flooded the market with.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
They have regional pricing in more countries than Steam currently so this isn't quite so accurate.
I can confirm this. Here in Panama, Metro is $20 while in Steam before the removal, it was $59.99.
Hate that Valve refuses to add regional pricing here.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
At least they are using it on something... Valve hasn't been making any games people want with all that Steam money tbh.

But I get the hate Epic Store is getting, it's going on a anti-consumer path which I won't follow for sure... So far I have only played Subnautica there
How about using that Fortnite money to produce content which you can then use to promote your store?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm this. Here in Panama, Metro is $20 while in Steam before the removal, it was $59.99.
Hate that Valve refuses to add regional pricing here.
I wrote to Valve about this (well, the Caribbean specifically since that's where I am), and they replied saying they would consider it when they review their pricing setup this year. Whenever that is.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote to Valve about this (well, the Caribbean specifically since that's where I am), and they replied saying they would consider it when they review their pricing setup this year. Whenever that is.
Well, technically only Valve games had regional pricing here. I wrote Newell about the issue, and next time I search them in the store, they have the same price as in the US. Feels like an own goal.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I think the main focus in the last years was mainly in South-East Asia expansion, as that was where they were seeing a major increase in game sales (and it is an area EGS has less regions).
Steam also is slower in including regions as they normally want to have set it up so that you pay in local currency (instead of being hidden as a dollar equivalent which could create issue with refunding).

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
and how many times have we seen people say "I have an account on Epic store, but just for the free games". Devs are competing not just with Fortnite, but the free games Epic have flooded the market with.
2 often short, seldom amazing free games a month isn't exactly flooding the market IMO. The people who would be sated by such releases are likely casually playing fortnite and not much else, anyway.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Steam also is slower in including regions as they normally want to have set it up so that you pay in local currency (instead of being hidden as a dollar equivalent which could create issue with refunding).
Yep, I understand why it's slower with Valve.

My bad, that's very true. I was thinking of pricing too simplistically from just my country's point of view, where often 3rd party stores like Voidu have cheaper prices than Steam.
It's ok. I still depend on stores like Voidu for Steam keys, but ideally Steam would incorporate regional pricing here so there would be no need for me to use them since the prices would be significantly less. I had to take stock recently and rethink how much I'm spending on games. It's an extremely expensive hobby for people in poorer countries.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I think the main focus in the last years was mainly in South-East Asia expansion, as that was where they were seeing a major increase in game sales (and it is an area EGS has less regions).

I think the biggest reason for the relatively slow addition of currencies, alongside that generally happening in the form of groups of currencies rather than piecemeal additions, is that Valve endeavours to support as many local payment methods as possible in addition to the usual debit/credit card, PayPal, etc. The Indian store, for example, supports cash on delivery, of all things.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Don't see what's wrong with this. Business is business and competition is competition. Exclusives make your store shinier and it works with consoles.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf is that statement. Lol

VHgFFgs.gif

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see what's wrong with this. Business is business and competition is competition. Exclusives make your store shinier and it works with consoles.
This is not competing.

Say our town has a top of the line cinemaplex that everyone enjoys. It has the best AC design in the shopping district, so people love going there on hot summer days.

One day, I decide to open my own theater across the street. The seats are less comfy. The food is worse. The screens and sound systems and accoustics are worse. The movie selections are the same. I pay the local utility providers to not provide you with central air, to provide it only to me.

Now, suddenly, your movie theater is a little worse off than before, and my movie theater isn't quite as enjoyable as yours was when I wasn't around. Aside from satisfying my own greed, all I've done is sabotage the movie-going experience for the local community.

I could have provided more modern accoustics. I could have offered double features. I could have had classic movie nights. I could have offered something different. But no, rather than compete, I just sabotaged

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Just use Epic Launcher for the game lol

It's not that hard. It's free and an easy download.

Stop the drive-by nonsense please. People aren't complaining because Epic's launcher is hard to download. They are complaining about Epic's shitty anti-consumer and anti-competitive practices, which they don't want to support. It makes perfectly sense to vote with your wallet against something you don't like.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there is still a chance Bethesda games show up on the Epic Games Store so you can have a choice of two launchers you don't want to use hah. If Epic will pay for Division 2, I could see them giving Bethesda money too. Not sure why UBI was a dev in need of money but if Epic will pay UBI, I could see them pay Bethesda.

No self respecting company would refuse free money. With TD2, Ubi probably had like 90+% of digital sales from their launcher, so they got Epic money AND get to keep most of the sales full revenue. Epic probably knew this would happen but paid to keep this from Steam. The main follow up from Ubi will be to see if they sold more or less than TD1 and if it aligns with their predictions, so they were paid to do some marketing research too. If they think they sold too little, they can go back to Steam on their next game. If not, they learned they can stand on their own and from now on all their games will be on Ubi launcher only.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Bingo.

I don't think Epic's goal is to convert Steam users into EGS users, but more to convert the existing Fortnite userbase into EGS users. They've already got their users into the ecosystem with Fortnite, they want to keep them there with the exclusives.

If their primary goal was to convert Fortnite players they wouldn't spend millions of dollars taking games off of every other storefront.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
When a store has more free games than paid games, and it's flagship game is also free, good luck convincing people to pay for games on it.

Yeah, you have to wonder a bit about the logic of getting everyone to sit and wait for the free games for a full year, while simultaneously having large discount on things like Ubi games, all while the largest gaming driving traffic is a F2p game - and then saying that wishlists + discounts is a bad thing triggering a certain behaviour among customers.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It may be that the PC gaming market is a bit saturated and certain store fronts have visibility problems. Don't let that fool you into thinking that there are no success stories of new indie games that struck it big. Its just harder.

Long story short, no one forced small groups of people to go into business by making an independent game and I have no obligation to buy any game. No game has any obligation to exist on any platform that is not worth their time/money. We all have choices and no one is good or bad for exercising them.

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I want to play quite a few of their exclusives. But every time Epic says anything about anything, they only convince me to keep waiting.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018

Increased visibility seems an odd thing to claim in Epic's favour. Let's say an indie feels they're being overlooked on Steam, which can be attributed to any number of factors. Even still, it's probably safe to assume that your potential audience drastically shrinks on the EGS. Then factor in that any discoverability on that store is entirely up to you, even down to offering streamers a portion of your cut, making viral discovery a double-edged sword. So that's already a bad deal, outside of whatever immediate lump sum Epic is offering.

But then you factor in that you have a) an already-diminished playerbase for that game, and b) a non-zero number of previous fans who have bad blood over your going EGS-exclusive, and suddenly the interest in your next game has plummeted, even if you're back on every store possible.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
No self respecting company would refuse free money. With TD2, Ubi probably had like 90+% of digital sales from their launcher, so they got Epic money AND get to keep most of the sales full revenue. Epic probably knew this would happen but paid to keep this from Steam. The main follow up from Ubi will be to see if they sold more or less than TD1 and if it aligns with their predictions, so they were paid to do some marketing research too. If they think they sold too little, they can go back to Steam on their next game. If not, they learned they can stand on their own and from now on all their games will be on Ubi launcher only.
Yeah no doubt, I agree. I was thinking along the lines if Epic were going to go after the division 2, I could see them going after Bethesda games. Especially something like rage 2 which has much more doubt selling on Bethesda store exclusively than the division 2 on Uplay.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Bingo.

I don't think Epic's goal is to convert Steam users into EGS users, but more to convert the existing Fortnite userbase into EGS users. They've already got their users into the ecosystem with Fortnite, they want to keep them there with the exclusives.

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

Galyonkin (Epic games head-guy)

1*_NbeheU7zOWV63JH2sIJUA.png

Why would Fortnite be different? If Valve couldn't convert its GaaS Audience, Epic will have no chance with the mostly young audience.