• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
If Epic sees that these exclusives are not making them as much profit then they are less likely to try making waves using this tactic and instead will find other ways to move ahead in the marketplace (like the very cool free games thing they've been doing).

Exactly. Pc gamers should give a clear signal that this isn't the way how companies should try to "compete" in pc gaming. There are so many other great games out there!

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Imagine if Valve was doing this, buying up random third party games to be Steam-exclusive after being planned to appear on, or already being released on other platforms like GOG, itch.io, GMG, Humble, etc. They'd be eviscerated.

The media very much wants to treat EGS vs Valve like Rocky taking on Apollo. But it's more like if Rocky was too lazy actually fight, and instead just threw wads of cash around so everyone would say he's awesome.
Well said!

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Corporate bodies exist to make money
This is true, and the very first thing I learned in my first business class in college is that the most effective way to make money in the long term, is to make ethical business decisions. It's a lesson that many companies in 2019 don't take very seriously. They see short term profits and think, "well hey, this will make me more money NOW, who cares about what happens in three months?" The reasoning behind it is you eliminate unforeseen costs that arise later that can tank your bottom line.

If I could describe the launch of the EGS, I would use the word aggressive. I definitely would not describe their practices as ethical, good for the consumer, or good for the general market. I'd say they'll at least make some good short term profits from this, but when you consider they are literally bank rolling games like Division 2 just to make sure they don't appear on Steam, I don't see how this venture will even last.

I would bet you all money that Epic is harvesting user data and reselling it without enduser consent to help mitigate some of these up front costs.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
I mean I really could just go on and on but my point is, I don't think it's hyperbolic to suggest they are anti-consumer, they are the very definition of it.

I'm strictly speaking about the present topic. Obviously, many of their business choices have been very pro-publisher at the expense of consumer friendly practices. I just think there's too much of a grey area with the key-selling thing regarding exclusives to specifically call it out as anti-consumer.

JarrodL

Oct 27, 2017
Tim is a massive hypocrite. He believes money-hatting exclusives is pro-competition.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...believe_that_epic_games_is/eimee9b/?context=3
"Yes, and the PC remains open, and there is more robust competition among PC stores than ever before. There's Steam offering Valve games, Origin offering EA games, Battle.net offering Activision and Bungie games, Epic Games offering games from many publishers."
So the only store which gets to sell 3rd party games should be the Epic store, everyone else should just stick to selling their own games. I see. "Robust competition" indeed.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am glad he came out with it because now we can skip the bad faith BuT CaN yOu PrOvE tHeY pAy OfF dEvS bs we have in every egs thread

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I am glad he came out with it because now we can skip the bad faith BuT CaN yOu PrOvE tHeY pAy OfF dEvS bs we have in every egs thread
I can't believe so many people doubted it happened, when it was so blatantly obvious right off the bat. It's like ok, these publishers and devs just happened to decide one day to RISK EVERYTHING and make their content EGS exclusive for exactly one year, out of the blue, all for "the cut".

Sure

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

It was already confirmed by the Satisfactory studio near the launch of the Epic Game Store.

I 100% believe many of these outlets are getting outright paid off by Epic. Epic has no qualms about flashing their cash around, and not even being secretive about it.

I don't think this is the case. It's cooler to support the newcomer "underdog" than the most popular one.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
This is just Tim admitting they're doing exactly what everyone has been trying to tell you for months now.
They don't care about consumers. Their only goal is to try and force people to buy games on their client by throwing money around, because once they have games exclusive to their own store, they can charge whatever they want and think people will pay it.

The attitudes towards the Epic Games Store that I have seen here are somewhat concerning.
In the past, PC gamers as a whole completely rejected things like paying for Xbox Live Gold - to the point that Microsoft abandoned the idea and made it free.
I'm not convinced that the people making up the PC market as a whole now are going to have the desire or willpower to reject the Epic Games Store once they have an exclusive that they really want to play locked up for a year.

On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Epic to be paying people to astroturf to a ridiculous degree, since there are so many people on this forum that jump in and repeat the same tired rhetoric about how this is somehow a good thing for PC gamers, or whining about people having the audacity to complain about the platform and the people running it.

Couldn't find any mention of this earlier in the thread, but Epic also released their roadmap for the store: https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap
Note that "Automated Refunds" is such a low priority for them, that they don't even have an estimate.

Ah good old Tim
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war
Remember this ? HEY TIM THIS IS WHAT YOU BITCHED AND MOANED ABOUT.
Fuckin bizarro world where MS is making all the right moves by being one of the most consumer friendly companies currently.
It has been his plan all along. Sow the seeds of dissent to turn people against Microsoft and Valve/Steam before launching their own platform 'for the devs' offering an unsustainably-low cut long enough to do damage to their competitors.
Most of what he has talked about Microsoft/Valve having the potential to do, are actually things that he himself has been planning for the Epic store.

Notice how Sweeney doesn't feel compelled to answer for any of the various controversies to the games press?
He is busy doing damage control vs the public itself.
The press are on his side.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was already confirmed by the Satisfactory studio near the launch of the Epic Game Store.

I don't think this is the case. It's cooler to support the newcomer "underdog" than the most popular one.
I know, but people were still going 'LALA THIS IS JUST ONE DEV, YOU CANT PROVE THEY DO TIS FOR EVERY WUN : ////'. maybe now these people will finally stfu

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I'm strictly speaking about the present topic. Obviously, many of their business choices have been very pro-publisher at the expense of consumer friendly practices. I just think there's too much of a grey area with the key-selling thing regarding exclusives to specifically call it out as anti-consumer.

I appreciate your opinion but will have to disagree in regards to the key selling.

It is my personal preference and opinion that, irrespective of exclusivity, storefronts should allow third party sites to sell redeemable keys.

The reason I feel this way is that, not only is it keeping these sites in business and increasing competition across the board (which is good for consumers and developers) but it's also giving consumers the choice as to where they wish to purchase their games (even if it means redeeming them on the same storefront) which isn't ideal because in a perfect world we could also choose our storefront but nonetheless, having the choice of where to buy the key is incredibly important for consumers imo.

Epic have removed that option for no reason other than one of greed, it benefits nobody but themselves, it most certainly doesn't benefit the consumer and it actively works against the consumer, hence why I believe it's anti-consumer (along with all the other things I have mentioned.)

I appreciate your reply though :).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still kind of amazed that Epic are throwing around so much money yet being to completely clueless about how to actually appeal to PC gamers. How have they put clearly so much money into this venture without even considering things from a player perspective. It speaks to either a gap in their knowledge/experience, or even worse an entitlement. They are acting like they don't have to win players over, they can just remove choices and players will have no choice but to become loyal subservient customers of the Epic store. That's not how it works, that's never how it works. It's all stick no carrot. PC gamers rejected GFWL and UWP, and before that they rejected Download Insurance and aggressive DRM. If you're not acting in the interests of your audience, they have plenty of other options. Even with all these games they have gotten pulled from Steam and elsewhere, there are still plenty of games worth people's attention available outside of their walled garden.

I would even go as far to say that the Halo:MCC is a purposeful response to Epic, not that they planned it that way but that all this happening now is a perfect storm for them, I think that Phil Spencers recent tweet about giving PC gamers choice was a clear shot across the bow of Epic.

yGqtHVp.png

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still kind of amazed that Epic are throwing around so much money yet being to completely clueless about how to actually appeal to PC gamers. How have they put clearly so much money into this venture without even considering things from a player perspective. It speaks to either a gap in their knowledge/experience, or even worse an entitlement. They are acting like they don't have to win players over, they can just remove choices and players will have no choice but to become loyal subservient customers of the Epic store. That's not how it works, that's never how it works. It's all stick no carrot. PC gamers rejected GFWL and UWP, and before that they rejected Download Insurance and aggressive DRM. If you're not acting in the interests of your audience, they have plenty of other options. Even with all these games they have gotten pulled from Steam and elsewhere, there are still plenty of games worth people's attention available outside of their walled garden.
It's pretty telling that you could have posted this around 10 years ago and it would still have fit.

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot abide a hypocrite.
The second there was a chance for him to make money doing the same shit that he bitched about Microsoft doing, suddenly it's pro consumer. Fuck out of here with that shit Tim.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it has been made absolutely clear to the PC gaming community the danger the Epic Store represents, and why it shouldn't be supported.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aren't company like Sony or Nintendo pay for time exclusivity too? What's the difference here?

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
How ironic is that Tim Sweeney pull this shit while Microsoft just released Halo MCC not only on Windows Store but also Steam too?

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Epic store prevent specific PCs from operating software?
Because not being able to open it at all is the only thing that matters, right? /s

And actually, yes, kind of. PC's running Linux have lost out on games entirely because of Epic, as have PC's in countries where the Epic store isn't available (like China, for instance).

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
The question was, why can't people buy keys from third party key sellers that are only redeemable at Epic store.

And the answer to that question is greed and wanting to completely control the PC market and make their store the only viable option in the long run.

That answer from Tim summarising everything that is wrong with their anti-consumer approach.

They shouldn't be paying for exclusives anyway, that in itself in anti-consumer.
It's mind blowing any publisher/developer agrees radically reducing the exposure of their games on PC to a single barebone newbie shop. Epic must be paying them a real lot of money for that to make any business sense.

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's garbage on console, and it's also garbage on PC.
I'd say it's worse on PC due to the fragmentation should this approach get more widespread. On console you at least have a set store. On PC you'll first have to actively research what store to use and install that to not miss a specific exclusive game.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't company like Sony or Nintendo pay for time exclusivity too? What's the difference here?

People - and the media, too - have been annoyed by it in the past: https://kotaku.com/people-are-pissed-that-tomb-raider-is-an-xbox-exclusive-1620094498
Our buddy Keza MacDonald over at Kotaku UK thinks this whole thing is a very bad idea:

There's a reason why these deals are increasingly rare: they're generally a bad idea. Whatever benefits Rise of the Tomb Raider and its publisher will gain from an exclusive partnership, players are the ones losing out.

The only point at which it's "acceptable", most people agree, is when the exclusivity deal is the only reason for a game being made at all. Nintendo and Bayonetta 2, for instance.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The only point at which it's "acceptable", most people agree, is when the exclusivity deal is the only reason for a game being made at all. Nintendo and Bayonetta 2, for instance.
and these types of deal tend to be fully exclusive, not just paid to delay other versions.

These epic games aren't even fully exclusive (coming to consoles too) and are only timed on PC anyway.

If they were fully exclusive, they would likely have to fully fund the development, and yeah I'd be more accepting of that. That would basically be them being the publisher.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
User Warned: Antagonistic Behavior, Drive-By Post
This is true, and the very first thing I learned in my first business class in college is that the most effective way to make money in the long term, is to make ethical business decisions. It's a lesson that many companies in 2019 don't take very seriously. They see short term profits and think, "well hey, this will make me more money NOW, who cares about what happens in three months?" The reasoning behind it is you eliminate unforeseen costs that arise later that can tank your bottom line.

If I could describe the launch of the EGS, I would use the word aggressive. I definitely would not describe their practices as ethical, good for the consumer, or good for the general market. I'd say they'll at least make some good short term profits from this, but when you consider they are literally bank rolling games like Division 2 just to make sure they don't appear on Steam, I don't see how this venture will even last.

I would bet you all money that Epic is harvesting user data and reselling it without enduser consent to help mitigate some of these up front costs.

That community college class must have been tough.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Of course they're paying. $2 million at least for one year exclusivity for Indies. Probably a lot more for bigger studios. They're promising payment regardless of units sold, it's why developers are fine with signing exclusivity. Chances are that epic will recoup their money by knowing/estimating what the minimum sale can be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/b0ne5t/how_much_does_epic_pay_for_oneyear_exclusivity_on/

I bet it's significantly more than that too
And I'm gonna hazard a guess that they've probably earmarked an insane amount of money (like hundreds of millions of dollars insane) towards these biddings for the store

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

Oklusion

Nov 22, 2018
Hmm, Sweeney seems to be doing his best to make GabeN look like saint, he would make a killing as a publicist.

I wonder if the moneyhatting is working though, the way he is promoting it looks more like damage control to me.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if the moneyhatting is working though, the way he is promoting it looks more like damage control to me.
Judging by tim sweeneys first twitter reply, he completely misunderstood that guys question thinking he was supporting Epics moneyhatting tactic, and when the guy said he misunderstood him, he goes on full damage control by replying with some halfthought reply that is equivalent of we'll come back on that.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
Ahhh, wouldn't be a new day without the raging hatred for the Epic Store getting a new thread.

This was pretty obvious from the jump.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
And it wouldn't be an EGS thread without snippy drive-by posts.
Not really a drive by post. It's a post saying... yeah, what did people think was happening to make developers ONLY put their game out on the EGS?

Did you really have no idea until you read this thread?

Why don't you explain the benefits of Epic paying to get games pulled from other stores?
The same benefit all exclusives to a single platform have...