• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix are the ones making original shows.

To play devils advocate, this isn't always true. Netflix often buy up the distribution rights to shows from one region and show them in other regions as exclusive 'Netflix Originals'. The labelled Rickey Gervais's Derek as a Netflix Original in the States despite it being produced and distributed a year earlier by Channel 4 in the U.K.

Netflix Original often means that Netflix funded the production of the show. But other times it just means they paid a bunch of money so that Netflix is the only place you can see it.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sweeney applying the exact tactics to the PC platform that he claimed Microsoft would in all of his doomsday talk.

What an enormous hypocrite.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
First of all, I said probably. Why else would they take Epic's deals? Secondly, I never claimed that those games sell badly.. I said they might not be considered "successful" to publishers. Please stop twisting my words.
You can be sure that Hades will sell even less than Pyre while being exclusive to EGS.
To play devils advocate, this isn't always true. Netflix often buy up the distribution rights to shows from one region and show them in other regions as exclusive 'Netflix Originals'. The labelled Rickey Gervais's Derek as a Netflix Original in the States despite it being produced and distributed a year earlier by Channel 4 in the U.K.

Netflix Original often means that Netflix funded the production of the show. But other times it just means they paid a bunch of money so that Netflix is the only place you can see it.
At least Netflix always tries to have those shows available worldwide. Star Trek Discovery, for example, without Netflix, I wouldn't have a legal way to watch it. The same with most (if not all) their Netflix series that they didn't fund, yet have the Netflix Original logo.

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Know that they judge their games as successful?

They aren't struggling.. what does that mean? They can afford to make more new games?

Is this "being successful" to you?

40431642183_949787313f_o.png

This is probably the trend that these indies are seeing across their games on Steam. It's not cut and dry like you think. Success isn't measured in "oh we can make another game"... they need to see growth as well. And if they aren't seeing that on Steam.. then maybe taking the money and running isn't the worst thing to them.

I'm just saying.
That's not the trend at all and you'd know this if you actually researched. Pyre bombed on every single platform it was released on.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's shady business but it's still business. I've lived my whole life being excluded from certain games. At the end of the day and like everything else, it depends on what ppl do with their wallets. I'm not a PC gamer so It still confuses me why it matters what store you buy a game from. I've settled for owning all consoles so I don't miss out on much.

PC gamers prefer open platforms to exclusive ones from what I've seen. It's why MS' initial push into pc floundered and why gamers are celebrating their current efforts with releasing MCC on steam and windows store. Can affect pricing as well.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I love all the options Epic are giving me as a customer.
Love that competition.
Really.

How about you doing more then one game yourself, and selling them there? No? Alrighty then.
How about you adding features customers want? No? Alrighty then.
How about you taking a stance for the customer, and work for a cause they want, like everything being DRM free? No? Alrighty then.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
That's not the trend at all and you'd know this if you actually researched. Pyre bombed on every single platform it was released on.
Ok, so as the developer of that game... when a company offers you money to make your next game exclusive to their platform and minimize the risk almost completely.. what do you do? lol

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
People would still defend this company even if they suddenly removed 12% dev cut and Tim Sweeney personally telling people whining to go fuck themselves on twitter. The man is a full blown hypocrite. I just don't know why anyone would trust what this guy is preaching, since integrity means nothing to him.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Ok, so as the developer of that game... when a company offers you money to make your next game exclusive to their platform and minimize the risk almost completely.. what do you do? lol

It's probably a fine short-term plan. But when three years go by and you're releasing your next game, and suddenly Epic aren't offering payouts and their store has expanded so you're no longer visible by default, you're right back where you began. And you've probably built up some measure of badwill among the people who you're hoping will buy your new game.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Hope that gets you through the next game when people no longer want to bother I guess. I don't see a lot of the original backers bothering with a Phoenix point sequel based on how the first was handled.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
First of all, I said probably. Why else would they take Epic's deals?

Because Epic is throwing around lots of cash to buy its store's way to success.

Secondly, I never claimed that those games sell badly.. I said they might not be considered "successful" to publishers. Please stop twisting my words.

Oh, you didn't?

If Valve's business depended on games selling good numbers instead of just massive quantities of games that sell badly, then I'm sure things would be different there as well.

My apologies.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Not sure why anyone would buy The Division on EGS anyway, Uplay will give you 20% off for 100 Uplay points.
Not for three months they won't.

This promo code can only be redeemed once and will only work on one order.

Please note that this code cannot be applied to pre-orders/pre-purchases, in-game currency, newly released titles, or items under the clearance category.

A game is no longer considered newly released three months after the official launch date.

https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/...-0318-1----UBISOFT_AI___Wininshop_FAQ_ID54909

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Because Epic is throwing around lots of cash to buy its store's way to success.

Oh, you didn't?

My apologies.

In response to completely different games.. Nice try.

Bastion - Release date: 2011
Pyre - Release date: 2017

The market has changed a LOT. Just saying.
Alexandros said:
Again: Do you have anything at all to back these claims that you keep making? That games sell badly on Steam compared to other platforms?

First of all, I said probably. Why else would they take Epic's deals? Secondly, I never claimed that those games sell badly.. I said they might not be considered "successful" to publishers. Please stop twisting my words.

Next time post the full quote. Thanks.

There's far more junk on Steam that sells terribly, and doesn't deserve to be grouped with indie devs like SuperGiant. Keep acting like you don't know...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Seeking better distribution for developers means killing off sites selling games at a discount. I'm sure developers love it, because fuck consumers.

Epic's bullshit is going to give rise to the piracy of Epic exclusives.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'd previously heard Epic was looking into adding key redistribution at some point, or something vague like that.
But apparently the plan is to never allow it for Epic exclusives. So that's for how long I'll be avoiding their store.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Tim Sweeney should stop acting like a bumbling fool and learn how to run a proper store. I never hoped for a store to crash and burn as bad as the EGS. And that goes to all devs supporting this exclusivity crap.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv

Yeah, and that's just as bad. I really dread the upcoming future of having to subscribe to 15 services just to see different shows (especially as someone who's outside of the US so I can't even sub to Hulu or HBO.)
This is why I'm 100% with the Academy Awards for not accepting streaming-only movies. You want to be on this award? You need to make sure everyone can see your movie, not just your subs.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Tim Sweeney should stop acting like a bumbling fool and learn how to run a proper store. I never hoped for a store to crash and burn as bad as the EGS. And that goes to all devs supporting this exclusivity crap.
I really am curious to see if they ever release any sales figures. Especially after all the stuff we heard about how sharing sales figures on Steam Spy is for the good of everyone in the industry.

Yeah, and that's just as bad. I really dread the upcoming future of having to subscribe to 15 services just to see different shows (especially as someone who's outside of the US so I can't even sub to Hulu or HBO.)
This is why I'm 100% with the Academy Awards for not accepting streaming-only movies. You want to be on this award? You need to make sure everyone can see your movie, not just your subs.
A movie being on Netflix is way more accessible to audiences than a movie that gets a limited theatrical release.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Hey as long as evil no good very bad Steam gets hurt who cares what other stores may suffer as well, right?

At least we are getting a better product at a cheaper price, right?

Right?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I really am curious to see if they ever release any sales figures. Especially after all the stuff we heard about how sharing sales figures on Steam Spy is for the good of everyone in the industry.
This is something I'm interested in as well. We'll see if they put their money where their mouth is regarding this.. or not. Because it will be completely hypocritical if they don't.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
A movie being on Netflix is way more accessible to audiences than a movie that gets a limited theatrical release.
Well, I agree with the principle of it - I'd argue that Netflix should be pressured to do more than a limited theatrical release.
Anyway, right now your sentence is true for sure, but in 5 years, after competitors start throwing their weight around and the streaming userbase is more divided? Then it'll be a problem. It's a bit off-topic, but I think what's going to happen is pretty close to what we're seeing with Epic and Steam right now.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't say it did. I said it affects how Valve can do business compared to Epic.. who doesn't want all that junk on their platform. (currently anyway)

Valve created a platform that benefitted both developers and customers. Epic is screwing customers left and right. That's the main difference.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
User Banned (3 days): advocating piracy
Third party exclusivity has no place on PC. Ever.

End of discussion.

If Epic wants to swing its Fornite bucks around, they should invest in development process of these "struggling indie games".
Like a real publisher, not this crap.

Cutting out 3rd party stores from selling game keys is obviously a way to keep prices high. There's no way in hell this can benefit consumers and its ludicrous to argue otherwise.

I don't think anything else needs to be said, but fuck Sweeney, fuck Epic and every game exclusive to the EGS should top PirateBay. Since Epic is offering sales guarantees to devs who accept exclusivity, every "lost sale" equals more money Epic has to pay to these devs. I think that's the only way they'll get drained fast enough to declare all PC gamers pirates and slink off to consoles. Again.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not familiar with all the details, but it sounds awfully similar. Maybe more into file formats?

Will any mp games between Epic and Steam work? Didn't MS store limit cross store play?

Games that use their own infrastructure like The Division would work without issues. As for other games they would probably work too because Epic doesn't have their own infrastructure so devs would need to use their own solution so we are back to that first point.

MS had issues because they asked devs to use their infrastructure aka Xbox Live. But now they worked on it and there is cross play between Steam and Windows store for example and Valve worked on their side to include way for Xbox Live and Steam to communicate.

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
Sounds petty. If he wants more reasons for people to come into his crappy store, why don't he simply use that large pool of money he has to fund original content rather than blocking multiplatform games on a unique store?

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
User banned (5 days): thread whining, trolling, antagonizing other members + history of similar infractions

Much competition, such wow

Thank you for creating another Epic Game Store hate thread. For people who do not like Epic paying for exclusives, you have very easy solution. You can just ignore their store and not buy anything from it. Instead, you can buy games from all of the other game stores including Steam, Good Old Games, Origin, Ubisoft's Store, Activision's Store, the Microsoft Windows App Store, Xbox's Game Store, Nintendo's Store, Sony's Store, Apple's App Store, the Google Play Store, etc.

I have never seen so many people get so angry over something which is so trivial. The hate Epic is getting over opening a game store is equivalent to Wendy's getting hate for selling hamburgers on McDonald's turf. Do you realize how ridiculous it is to get angry over someone selling games and giving more money to the people who actually make the games? Do you realize how bizarre it is that you guys are all rooting for the greedier middle man (Valve)? This "we hate Epic for opening a new store" phenomenon is very strange and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Tim Sweeney two years ago.

"The thing that I feel is incredibly important for the future of the industry is that the PC platform remains open, so that any user without any friction can install applications from any developer, and ensure that no company, Microsoft or anybody else, can insert themselves by force as the universal middleman, and force developers to sell through them instead of selling directly to customers."
Looks like he was just simply projecting all along.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for creating another Epic Game Store hate thread. For people who do not like Epic paying for exclusives, you have very easy solution. You can just ignore their store and not buy anything from it. Instead, you can buy games from all of the other game stores including Steam, Good Old Games, Origin, Ubisoft's Store, Activision's Store, the Microsoft Windows App Store, Xbox's Game Store, Nintendo's Store, Sony's Store, Apple's App Store, the Google Play Store, etc.

I have never seen so many people get so angry over something which is so trivial. The hate Epic is getting over opening a game store is equivalent to Wendy's getting hate for selling hamburgers on McDonald's turf. Do you realize how ridiculous it is to get angry over someone selling games and giving more money to the people who actually make the games? Do you realize how bizarre it is that you guys are all rooting for the greedier middle man (Valve)? This "we hate Epic for opening a new store" phenomenon is very strange and doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

lol nice try acting like any of the shitty stuff epic does didn't happen at all. I'll give you points for digging your head into the sand in style though.

Sweeney applying the exact tactics to the PC platform that he claimed Microsoft would in all of his doomsday talk.

What an enormous hypocrite.

I guess he was scared of Microsoft eating his lunch before he got to launch the epic store, it all makes sense now why he felt threatened.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
If Epic actually funded a third party game from start to finish (or at least funded a game that wouldn't have been completed otherwise), we wouldn't be nearly as upset about the exclusivity to their dumb store. In fact, I'd probably be ok with it.

Sergey?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Sounds petty. If he wants more reasons for people to come into his crappy store, why don't he simply use that large pool of money he has to fund original content rather than blocking multiplatform games on a unique store?
Hopefully they can do this when they get to a point where every game announced isn't some game that was "supposed to be released on Steam".

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's like you haven't read a single post in a single of these threads at all. That or you're just bad at drive-by shitposts.