• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yea for sure. But MS gets the lion's share of the money from those games.. They are mostly first party games. This is how Epic is doing business so that they can give more back to developers with the 12/88 split. You essentially have to make sure that people are buying it from a store that allows that revenue split to be sustainable and profitable long term.
So we should support Epic's quest to become a monopoly?

Oct 27, 2017
The funniest thing about all this mess is that these guys think their potential customers are stupid and need to be told about what's good for them, and every objection to their plans is shrugged off as 'you don't understans our business model'.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes they are. Record companies produce albums and sell the rights to platforms and engage in those deals. TV companies that are not Netflix in house production (or Amazon, or any of these) sell their shows and content for exclusive deals. No one is claiming these should be forced onto one platform and if not its anti consumer.
I mean, for one, album exclusives ARE controversial. Apple mostly moved away from album exclusives because they're controversial: https://www.businessinsider.com/app...-exclusives-angering-labels-kanye-west-2017-5
Apple Music has reversed course on a controversial business strategy that left many in the industry with a sour taste in their mouths, according to Apple exec and music industry titan Jimmy Iovine.

The idea of paying artists for "exclusives," or windows when their albums appear only on a specific streaming service — like Apple Music, Spotify, or Tidal — has been hotly debated over the last year.

Apple Music initially made it a significant piece of the company's strategy, snagging high-profile exclusives from the likes of Drake, Frank Ocean, and Chance the Rapper. Jay Z's Tidal, a smaller player, went full-throttle as well, getting Rihanna, Beyonce, and Kanye West. But market leader Spotify came out swinging against the practice, declaring it bad for both artists and fans.

Now Apple Music seems to be leaning away from exclusives.

"We tried it," Iovine said of exclusives in a new interview with Music Business Worldwide. "We'll still do some stuff with the occasional artist. The labels don't seem to like it and ultimately it's their content." Later in the interview Iovine said that, generally, Apple Music didn't want to disrespect or hurt record companies.

Moreover, Netflix buys the streaming rights to non-in house productions, but you're still able to buy that series/movie on iTunes/Amazon/Blu-ray et al. Even some of the Netflix in-house productions are available on iTunes/Amazon/Blu-ray for purchase for that matter.

This is what it means to be an Epic Game Store exclusive: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/ashen/info/

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I hope everyone mad in this topic is mad about Netflix original shows and Apple Music releasing Kanye's album first exclusively...oh they're not?

Mister-Gotcha.jpg

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

Much competition, such wow

Crap like this is exactly why I'm against the epic game store. Paying for exclusive rights for games that they weren't even attached to. Basically, they'll pay to screw over any other outlet/service and that's crap. Sweeny is a huge hypocrite, it's ridiculous.

Not the sort of crap the pc gaming landscape needs. It's all that Fortnite money going to his head.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes they are. Relations between production and the publishing companies in these industries is not exactly the same as game dev, but they are similar enough for comparison and for films comparable in budget. Record labels produce albums and sell the rights to platforms and engage in exclusive deals. TV or film production ompanies independent of Netflix in house production (or Amazon, or any of these) sell their shows and content for exclusive deals. No one is claiming these should be forced onto one platform and if not its anti consumer.
Difference is those albums and movies are being shopped around. No one expected Stranger Things on Amazon to only be pulled down the road. That's what's happening here is that games are being pulled to NOT be sold on steam.
I hope everyone mad in this topic is mad about Netflix original shows and Apple Music releasing Kanye's album first exclusively...oh they're not?
people in fact did complain when life of pablo was exclusive.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Reminder that by getting The Division 2 removed from third party sellers, they have in fact increase the price for it.

HWrngBr.png

DTFNbuo.png

Wait 4-6 months to track my time played? The fuck Epic?

That's just for tracking playtime from games bought from Epic Store. They are already tracking your playtime for Steam games.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
This confirms they don't just want to kill steam, they want to kill ALL other third party sellers, so it's just a sea of publisher launchers and Epic with control over third party sales.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Right, so basically they have to be the only one in the market to be sustainable. Gotcha.
Well, to be fair, developers who aren't successful on a 30% platform, isn't sustainable business for those developers either... meaning games don't release period.

Publishers are greedy... developers are greedy.. and Stores in general are greedy.

If Valve's business depended on games selling good numbers instead of just massive quantities of games that sell badly, then I'm sure things would be different there as well.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Any time Tim opens his mouth about the Epic Store he is being a disingenuous hypocrite.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to be fair, developers who aren't successful on a 30% platform, isn't sustainable business for those developers either... meaning games don't release period.

Publishers are greedy... developers are greedy.. and Stores in general are greedy.

If Valve's business depended on games selling good numbers instead of just massive quantities of games that sell badly, then I'm sure things would be different there as well.

So we all imaged the years of years of successful indie developers?

It's just last couple months with the arrival of Saint Epic Store that the indie game revolution has finally arrived?

Why are you rewriting history to act like indie devs have never been profitable until Epic came along?

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Developers who aren't successfull on a 30% platform should probably look for a new job because that'sbeen the industry standard forever.

The market is more competitive than ever, not everyone is going to prosper and that's just the reality of it. Epic throwing a few money-shaped lifeboats makes no difference whatsoever.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's just last couple months with the arrival of Saint Epic Store that the indie game revolution has finally arrived?

Why are you rewriting history to act like indie devs have never been profitable until Epic came along?
Yes.

At least until Tim opens the floodgates and I will die laughing at history repeating itself.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

Well, I'm not. The Epic store isn't just about indie games...

And those indies are making their own choice. I'm just stating what it likely is. Most indies aren't as successful on Steam as the ones that are. Even so, if they choose to take Epic's deal, then it's because they think that's best for their business... yes, unfortunately at the expense of consumer choice.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm not. The Epic store isn't just about indie games...

And those indies are making their own choice. I'm just stating what it likely is. Most indies aren't as successful on Steam as the ones that are. Even so, if they choose to take Epic's deal, then it's because they think that's best for their business... yes, unfortunately at the expense of consumer choice.

99.9% of indie developers won't ever get that choice?

'Choice'

That's funny

Funny how the only indie devs on the Epic store are the already successful ones, I guess Epic isn't pro-indie developer, considering they lock out over 99% of them.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Crap like this is exactly why I'm against the epic game store. Paying for exclusive rights for games that they weren't even attached to. Basically, they'll pay to screw over any other outlet/service and that's crap. Sweeny is a huge hypocrite, it's ridiculous.

Not the sort of crap the pc gaming landscape needs. It's all that Fortnite money going to his head.

I don't know if it's the Fortnite money so much as the console model. I mean, this is how exclusivity works. This is how Sony built the Playstation's library back in the '90s when they entered the game industry, buying exclusives. Then Microsoft did the same for the Xbox. He's just applying the same business model to PC, which seems...unwise? I guess we'll see what happens, but it feels like trying to apply a model that makes more sense for a more closed system to a very traditionally open one, and that usually doesn't go too well.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Developers who aren't successfull on a 30% platform should probably look for a new job because that'sbeen the industry standard forever.

The market is more competitive than ever, not everyone is going to prosper and that's just the reality of it. Epic throwing a few money-shaped lifeboats makes no difference whatsoever.
Absolutely right. But those developers are being given a platform and another chance to be successful. We don't have to support them.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

I mean, you're not incorrect, but, for how many devs are these additional 12% they get truly a gamechanger?
I'd wager the amount of devs for whom this makes the difference between being successul or not are a fringe case at most.

In entertainment media, including videogames, a minority of products makes a majority of the money. meaning the ones who will profit off of this are those that are already immensely successful, where as those who are failing will just fail a little bit less.

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Someone on twitter wrote to Tim saying:

"Honestly at this point if I was
EpicGames or TimSweeneyEpic
I'd stop with the exclusives, it's doing nothing more than damaging the launchers reputation and trashing any game that launches on it."

To which Tim replied:

"I understand your sentiment and the convenience factor of a single store, but Epic is absolutely committed to this path. Exclusives are by the far the most potent tool for our 88% revenue share making inroads against 70% stores."

First of all, Tim is trying to make Epic a "single store" and secondly the person asking the question never said they wanted to just use Steam, that's what Tim is assuming about them.

This is the issue, Tim thinks the pushback against exclusives is because people just want to use Steam, the arrogance/ignorance is quite outstanding tbh.

I could have sworn their inroads against 70% stores were "passing the savings on to the customer" and "an in-built Fortnite audience". Oh well.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Devs who aren't successful on a 30% platform wont be successful on a 12% platform either. Every publisher on the EGS so far aren't struggling devs.

You have a total lack of reading about the market. Not every game can and will be successful. Period. You have far too many legitimate devs and games for that to happen. Your solution is basically to tell devs who spent the last 3 years developping a game that they're not welcomed to sell their game.

Disgusting.

Nov 1, 2017
I really hope the next big fad comes along and topples Fortnite so that Epic can't use their current cash cow to pull this nonsense. Few things get on my tits more than a hypocrite and by christ Tim has that personality flaw in spades.

Really, the PC gaming landscape is in a bit of a mess. All these different launchers, the whole EGS scanning Steam files which seems suspect as fuck, what a ballache.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

What? A huge chunk of Netflix Originals are funded by them and would not exist otherwise.

Are there any shows that were announced for TV networks that Netflix "stole"? Most of the time a show moves networks its a mutual agreement

The Television industry and the Gaming industry are very different.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Devs who aren't successful on a 30% platform wont be successful on a 12% platform either. Every publisher on the EGS so far aren't struggling devs.

You have a total lack of reading about the market. Not every game can and will be successful. Period. You have far too many legitimate devs and games for that to happen. Your solution is basically to tell devs who spent the last 3 years developping a game that they're not welcomed to sell their game.

Disgusting.
How do you know that?

That's not what I'm saying at all.. like AT ALL..

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Buying exclusives is explicitly anti-competition, anti-market and anti-consumer. The attempt to spin the exclusive model as being pro-competition is almost more insulting than the practice itself. The only reason EGS is paying for exclusives is because they don't want to compete with Steam and third party sellers. They need to pick a new marketing angle.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
99.9% of indie developers won't ever get that choice?

'Choice'

That's funny

Funny how the only indie devs on the Epic store are the already successful ones, I guess Epic isn't pro-indie developer, considering they lock out over 99% of them.
Yes, the publishers that Epic propositions have the choice... which was who I was referring to.

Everyone's metric for success is different. If you want to say they are even more greedy.. be my guest.. but that's not all on Epic.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually funny how Sweeney goes into those Reddit threads to use Corporate DoubleSpeak to assuge concerns people have with Epic.

Procompetative that's a new one.