• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So what happens if Steam decided to play this game too? What if they open up their MUCH bigger wallet and start money hatting games and securing exclusives?

By the way, after what happened with Phoenix point I'm not supporting Epic at all. Was just skipping money-hatted games but now not getting anything from that store period. Fuck Epic.

They lose because they don't have a bigger wallet and don't have Tencent backing if things go south

The best way to win this game is not to play it IMO

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Between UE4 fees, third party funding, and Fortnite, Epic almost certainly has more money than Steam.

do we have numbers? Steam has had a huge profit margin since like 2008. Almost $5 billion worth of games were purchased on Steam in 2017 alone, that's 1.5 billion, and I don't know what that counts stuff like DLC and micro transactions.

Forgot about tencent, yeah they have all the money in the world.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So what happens if Steam decided to play this game too? What if they open up their MUCH bigger wallet and start money hatting games and securing exclusives?

By the way, after what happened with Phoenix point I'm not supporting Epic at all. Was just skipping money-hatted games but now not getting anything from that store period. Fuck Epic.

It would be interesting to watch the war if Valve decided it would be in their best interests to retaliate, possibly even attempt to completely trivialize the EGS in the process to make an example of them.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I want to see Valve step it up with Moderation not Curation.

My personal GOTY lists are always littered with deep end of the pool indies. Titles some might call trash or whatever. But hobby-grade / folk-art game development is what I'm into.

Curation would simply wipe these options off the table. And that would be a tragic loss, imo.

Now better Moderation I can get behind. Just the golden rules such has No Hate, No Criminal Sex, Broken games, etc. I mean Valve has these rules in place already, they just need to hit the eject button more quickly on those who try to slip through the cracks.

Shady devs looking for attention will always be there. I bet a million bucks that Rape game dev absolutely knew their game wouldn't get published on Steam. But they sure as hell got their name out there nonetheless for the mere fact of trying. Free advertising, with zero expectation of launching on Steam.

Valve needs to clamp down on this crap before it even reaches the consumer's eyeballs. Stricter moderation. Human moderation. Whatever.

But please stop with the Curation angle. That only creates gatekeepers to potentially quality content.

This 1000x

A big chunk of my favorite games simply wouldn't have a place on curated Steam. They clearly don't in Epic Store.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Lmao at putting Google in there of all things
Why's that funny?
I can email our Google rep about featuring and get a reply back in hours.
Can a PC dev email someone at Valve and get a response in a reasonable time frame?

You can rip on Google for not supporting their products long-term, but working with the Play Store is a great experience.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why's that funny?
Can a PC dev email someone at Valve and get a response in a reasonable time frame?

You can rip on Google for not supporting their products long-term, but working with the Play Store is a great experience.

Well human beings are better at responding to emails than algorithms

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Well human beings are better at responding to emails than algorithms
And that's one of the reasons EGS is probably going to be fine in the long term.
Consumer impact aside, they're building relationships with developers and publishers. That's immensely attractive.

A lot of the complaints over EGS are tangential to that fact--there's no world where communication, curation, moderation, and human interaction are mutually exclusive with features. The combination of those is literally the standard model used on every other platform. It's crazy that Valve has rejected so many of these things for so long, just as crazy that EGS is so slow to adopt (or will not adopt) basic features.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): needless hostility + history of similar behaviour
Why's that funny?

Two things:
Curation and Dev contacts have zero to do with each other. Google's curation is non-existent with even blatant pirate apps going through. Lmao at even implying they have curation.
And developer contact? Another fucking lmao, I invite you to read this https://android.jlelse.eu/google-ju...blisher-account-on-christmas-day-5cb69a454da0

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Two things:
Curation and Dev contacts have zero to do with each other. Google's curation is non-existent with even blatant pirate apps going through. Lmao at even implying they have curation.
And developer contact? Another fucking lmao, I invite you to read this https://android.jlelse.eu/google-ju...blisher-account-on-christmas-day-5cb69a454da0
I'm really confused at what you're trying to get at here.
Are you saying that because people have had bad experiences with Google that Steam should not bother with building business relationships with devs and pubs?
Or are you just trying to shit on Google and sidetrack the thread?

I mean, yeah, people are going to have bad experiences. Anecdotally, I've only had good experiences with Apple and Google. Apple tends to be more responsive, but both are amenable.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying that because people have had bad experiences with Google that Steam should not bother with building business relationships with devs and pubs?

I mean, yeah, people are going to have bad experiences. Anecdotally, I've only had good experiences with Apple and Google. Apple tends to be more responsive, but both are amenable.
Anecdotally, Steam has built plenty of business relationships with Devs and pubs.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
"It's nearly perfect for consumers already… There is no hope of displacing a dominant storefront solely by adding marginally more store features or a marginally better install experience. These battles will be won on the basis of game supply, consumer prices, and developer revenue sharing," Sweeney reckons.

"We have Fortnite money and we can and will take anything we want."

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I'm glad EGS exists and I hope they are successful. It's best for everyone in the long run.

Obligatory but muh steam

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm still waiting to see what their plans are for smaller devs. I will be rather annoyed if they aren't planning to help the smaller devs out after all this talk on revenue share. Especially when they're the one's who actually need it more than most.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting to see what their plans are for smaller devs. I will be rather annoyed if they aren't planning to help the smaller devs out after all this talk on revenue share. Especially when they're the one's who actually need it more than most.

So far it's been all "triples indies" or otherwise well-known games and publisher-backed studios. Let's see how it goes, but I suspect they'll be left to wait until the floodgates open at the end of 2019.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"muh steam"

Thoughts on days events regarding EGS and Phoenix Point?

EGS exclusives don't bother me, and because they're helping an actual competitor to Steam get a foothold I sort of cheer them on. They might bother me a bit if the launcher interface felt sluggish like Origin does, but it loads fast and feels snappy so I don't mind using it.

I want there to be a viable alternative to Steam, and this is the only way it happens.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So far it's been all "triples indies" and publisher-backed studios. Let's see how it goes, but I suspect they'll be left to wait until the floodgates open at the end of 2019.

Oh I expect that, i'm just saying I hope there isn't a bad case of "you don't make the cut". GoG was doing that for awhile on even some decent games like Cook Serve Delicious 2 and it irritated me to no end.
Being a fan of RPG Maker stuff, i'd imagine those sort of things will come under a lot of scrutiny on EGS. But I hope that won't be the case .

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
EGS exclusives don't bother me, and because they're helping an actual competitor to Steam get a foothold I sort of cheer them on. They might bother me a bit if the launcher interface felt sluggish like Origin does, but it loads fast and feels snappy so I don't mind using it.

I want there to be a viable alternative to Steam, and this is the only way it happens.

Ok. I disagree that it is the only way it becomes a viable alternative to steam, but Phoenix Point wasn't just a steam game.

Thoughts on crowdfunded backers promised Steam and GOG keys on losing their platform of choice after funding the game?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I'm glad EGS exists and I hope they are successful. It's best for everyone in the long run.

Obligatory but muh steam

That trickle down economics will pay off any day now!
Having my retail options for buying The Division 2 vanish is for the greater good!
sTeAm Is A mOnOpOlY, lE CoMPeTiTiON

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Many of Valve's decisions regarding Steam are not inherently consumer-friendly, but merely appear that way. They are, without a doubt, a profit-driven company and most of their features and business practices are ultimately cost and revenue driven rather than done for the good of the customer - even when it may appear to be a net positive for users (it's often not).

Yeah, this. Valve has done a lot to foist the labor of maintaining their platform onto consumers under the guise of freedom and control. Meanwhile, when it comes to actually developing games that, like, make the service a service at all, they've been extremely bad about informing people of policy they should be aware of or letting them know where the line is to be drawn. Rape Day is an obviously cheap and tawdry product that will recoup its cost from Steam's nearly-free advertising now, whereas it's much harder for a struggling dev with something worth publishing on the service to get past the walls in place. Not that Steam is their only or even best option, which is why I'm banging the itch.io drum so loudly now (well, that and a larger argument that Steam vs. Epic is a false dichotomy fueled by capitalist obsession but that's maybe a bit too high-concept for folks here)

All this talk about 'Steam needs to curate' is flat out nonsense. When Steam started offering AO content, the first thing that popped up was an option to 'opt out.' If you didn't click on that, that's on you.

See my problem with this line of thinking is that I don't want to necessarily block out AO content! My issue is that there's not a lot that the service does about providing context around games that involve sexual encounters, because that context is a huge component about whether or not the game is actually good. I mean, even then there's plenty of bleak objectification and pandering out there (we have a big ol' thread on it!) that doesn't go on the other side of that filter.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. I disagree that it is the only way it becomes a viable alternative to steam, but Phoenix Point wasn't just a steam game.

Thoughts on crowdfunded backers promised Steam and GOG keys on losing their platform of choice after funding the game?

If someone promised a Steam version and then took it away, that's a good reason to be annoyed. Other than that, though, it's all fair

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Yeah, I'm pretty curious about this aspect too... especially whether it'll ever actually happen.
It seems to me that Epic, at this stage anyway, isn't interested in fighting for parity on features or content.

So maybe they're perfectly happy with RPG Maker games, VN's, or other niche titles staying on Steam. The titles they curate are just as much about promoting the EGS brand as they are about "competing" with Steam. Basically if they can build EGS to be a place for quality games, that's a pretty strong selling point already.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I expect that, i'm just saying I hope there isn't a bad case of "you don't make the cut". GoG was doing that for awhile on even some decent games like Cook Serve Delicious 2 and it irritated me to no end.
Being a fan of RPG Maker stuff, i'd imagine those sort of things will come under a lot of scrutiny on EGS. But I hope that won't be the case .

Ah in that sense. Yeah, I'd hope not.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
He's an ass, but this:

Is hard to argue with

Still sucks for consumers though
I disagree. While steam is miles ahead of every competition there are to me at the very least 5 problems with steam:
  • UI in non BPM is crap.
  • It is incredibly hard to manage your game library.
  • offline mode is a "joke".
  • family sharing is very basic. I'd like more features with this idea
  • curation algorythm still allows far too many fake games.

Obligatory but muh steam

May i enquire what EGS does that makes it "better for everyone in the long run"?

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If someone promised a Steam version and then took it away, that's a good reason to be annoyed. Other than that, though, it's all fair

Ok. And other resellers/stores? GOG?

This isn't a pure "Steam vs Epic" situation. Its gone beyond that now.

Just take a look in the Division 2 thread we had a while ago and the Phoenix Point thread on the front page.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I really doubt that Steam dosn't have humans dealing with business relationships with at least large publishers or big indies.

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There you have it folks, Epic must directly interfere in the delivery of crowdfunded products, there is simply no other way to compete!

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty curious about this aspect too... especially whether it'll ever actually happen.
It seems to me that Epic, at this stage anyway, isn't interested in fighting for parity on features or content.

So maybe they're perfectly happy with RPG Maker games, VN's, or other niche titles staying on Steam. The titles they curate are just as much about promoting the EGS brand as they are about "competing" with Steam. Basically if they can build EGS to be a place for quality games, that's a pretty strong selling point already.

So the spiel about the suffering unknown developers was just false marketing.

Because zero percent of them will ever hit the EGS as it it now.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I really doubt that Steam dosn't have humans dealing with business relationships with at least large publishers or big indies.
Maybe others have had better experiences with Valve than me. I'm pretty biased, lol.
I really can't sing the praises of Google/Apple enough though. They're really fantastic to work with, to the point where they'll do studio visits. Obviously not everyone's going to have that same level of support (especially if they're one-man operations), but even working at small indie studios, mobile platform holders have been very accommodating and responsive, and will really try to help your product succeed.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

yes pissing off your consumers is definitely the only way youre right

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
The titles they curate are just as much about promoting the EGS brand as they are about "competing" with Steam. Basically if they can build EGS to be a place for quality games, that's a pretty strong selling point already.

But aren't we back to square one with this? We are back to the days of Minecraft being knocked back on Steam or when the latest Zachtronics game got knocked back from GOG for looking like a mobile game. Or the fact that Stardew Valley would have been prevented from releasing on Steam under the old curation days.

Curation is great until it is your game that's being prevented from entering.

Nome

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
But aren't we back to square one with this? We are back to the days of Minecraft being knocked back on Steam or when the latest Zachtronics game got knocked back from GOG for looking like a mobile game. Or the fact that Stardew Valley would have been prevented from releasing on Steam under the old curation days.

We're not back at square one, precisely because now there's actual competition, and they can always publish on Steam.

In the old Steam days, there was no viable alternative to self-publish. That was an effective monopoly--not due to Steam's fault, but simply because there was nowhere else you could self-publish and still hit a reasonable audience. If EGS ever ends up at a point where it becomes the only viable place to publish, then we'd be back at square one.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017

LewieP had a post, about the attitudes of indie developers at large. Generally it's a "fuck you, got mine" attitude.

First they were whining about curation preventing their game from getting on steam. Now that it is easy to get on steam, they're complaining that they have to compete with others.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
We're not back at square one, precisely because now there's actual competition, and they can always publish on Steam.

In the old Steam days, there was no viable alternative to self-publish. That was an effective monopoly--not due to Steam's fault, but simply because there was nowhere else you could self-publish and still hit a reasonable audience. If EGS ever ends up at a point where it becomes the only viable place to publish, then we'd be back at square one.

And that still doesn't explain why EGS had their big marketing campaign on the outset about the suffering, unknown indie developers that are swamped on Steam.

When 99% of them will never hit the EGS?

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017

But here's the problem, the logic is they can't make money on Steam any more (for whatever reason). Epic comes along with some proclamations that they are offering a better cut and will help the small developers. But the catch is that it is heavily curated for "Quality" games. So all those indie devs who couldn't make money on steam still can't make money on Steam and are locked out of Epic because of their curation policies.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Has the Epic Game Store had a store-wide sale yet? Steam sales are large part of what makes it so appealing to consumers and I feel it would be remiss of Epic to not capitalize on that if they want to curry more goodwill.