• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Referring to the overall overall options, not EGS store specifically:

He's not wrong though; competition by "featureset" often does not work and is not only expensive, but due to the direct cost as well the time needed to see any results, extremely risky. Yes, trying other avenues quickly might not result in the best first experience and both internally/externally it's easy to blame bad experience or bad results on the lack of those features, but it will show them whether their strategy is viable and their assumptions about consumer and developer behaviour right - and of course allow them to make course corrections on based on real life data rather than assumptions and somewhat relevant experience.

Yes, this is what I felt he was saying too. That makes more sense, at the very least

You know the problem here is that Tim really thinks he's helping out developers and gamers alike with this situation.

Current situation is that the consumers are the ones who lose.
I'm sure developers appreciate him and his store. The problem is he doesn't have to fuck over customers while he does that.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Gabe has a knife though.

Wherever the sales are, wherever the value is that's where people will go.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad or not, he isn't wrong.
If by "It's nearly perfect for consumers already" he's talking about Steam, then sure. It has important flaws that should have been addressed long ago, but it offers so much to its customers that no other gaming service or platform can compare. If he was referring to the Epic Store, then it's a blatant lie and I'd bet money he doesn't believe this himself.

As for the "displacing a dominant storefront" part, that may or may not be true, but it certainly isn't a valid excuse not to try. Having all these useful features doesn't guarantee that I'd start using it, but the lack of them ensures I won't even download the client for the free games.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still like cloud saves and stuff like a dedicated screenshot function but honestly he's right.

I bought Exodus on there because its a good game and thats where it was for sale. And honestly once I launched the game I just kinda forgot about all the other stuff.

The same way people will play Forza and SoT on Windows store, because in the end its the games.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
"There is no hope of displacing a dominant storefront solely by adding marginally more store features or a marginally better install experience "

What I've been saying all along. Regardless of how inconvenienced customers are in the short/long term, this is really the only viable strategy if you are going after Steam with any semblance of seriousness.

So we should support bad consumer practices because the EGS doesn't have a better business strategy?

Is this resetera or did I fall into another forum?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
He's talking about the status quo of the current marketplace in general, not Epic's own Game Store. It's nearly perfect for consumers right now with a number of options and feature-rich clients (Steam), so trying to play catch up by adding a new feature every few months isn't going to get them significant traction. They're playing the other side of the equation (developer relations, payouts, revenue) instead as they feel that's the area that can be disrupted.
Yeah, this was my read.
He's right. This is the only way to disrupt; otherwise they just join the middling graveyard of other storefronts.

I think there's an implicit acknowledgement that this isn't best for consumers, but I doubt they'd come out and say it.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Fuck it I'm lazy here have this post

Sure deal. While Steam does have issues with curation and such, all of this really comes down to the whole 'grass is greener on the other side' thing for devs, in particular the lower cut and the extra money Epic is throwing down to bring them over. They don't really care too much about which storefront is better, and they're going to not care as much Epic's issues (since it doesn't really affect them yet) and magnify Steam's (because it does). They're going to do what's best for them, usually at the expensive of the customers in this case.

This is relatively similar to when a rival app store shows up for Android (Samsung & Amazon's come to mind), where Amazon in particular was being very aggressive with payouts and trying lots of new things (like paying the app cost for a customer, and/or paying the dev based on the amount of time the app was used), but that stuff petered out.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this was my read.
He's right. This is the only way to disrupt; otherwise they just join the middling graveyard of other storefronts.

I think there's an implicit acknowledgement that this isn't best for consumers, but I doubt they'd come out and say it.
He is telling his paid developers to do PR and claim this is good for consumers.

So they know what they are doing is bad for consumers.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, this was my read.

If that was implicit, I'd hate to see what overt acknowledgement would be. Probably ad buys from google following everyone who searches for steam saying "We have what you want and you've got no choice. EGS!"

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I'd still like cloud saves and stuff like a dedicated screenshot function but honestly he's right.

I bought Exodus on there because its a good game and thats where it was for sale. And honestly once I launched the game I just kinda forgot about all the other stuff.

The same way people will play Forza and SoT on Windows store, because in the end its the games.

Yup. Ultimately, it comes down to the games for most people.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Y'all can do all the hot takes you want about the Epic Store, but he's not wrong in this instance. If it gets to where devs use it more because it's more money for their pocket and it's reflected in the prices for consumers, that grid of Steam features that shows up in every Epic thread will become less and less important to your average consumer.

Now if we don't see this reflected in supply and savings (which is where we are at now), it will be interesting to see consumer response (in sales, not forum feedback). At the end of the day, the front end deals wouldn't be sustainable for Epic if the games don't sell, and if the games aren't selling as well obviously the dev has to weigh their options.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all can do all the hot takes you want about the Epic Store, but he's not wrong in this instance. If it gets to where devs use it more because it's more money for their pocket and it's reflected in the prices for consumers, that grid of Steam features that shows up in every Epic thread will become less and less important to your average consumer.

Now if we don't see this reflected in supply and savings (which is where we are at now), it will be interesting to see consumer response (in sales, not forum feedback). At the end of the day, the front end deals wouldn't be sustainable for Epic if the games don't sell, and if the games aren't selling as well obviously the dev has to weigh their options.

Then why is he having his developers do PR to claim this is good for consumers.

And people need to stop taking about prices.

The EGS is not cheap and will not be cheaper. AND they are deliberatly cutting any way of getting games for cheaper. See The division 2

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
The Article said:
That's because Battle Pass has given the company one hell of a war chest, or as Sweeney puts it: "Fortnite's success has given Epic significant latitude to help developers."

I can't help but wonder what exactly is going to happen once Fortnite stops bringing in the cash. I hope Epic have a more sustainable strategy for the store than throwing exclusivity deals around.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I can't help but wonder what exactly is going to happen once Fortnite stops bringing in the cash. I hope Epic have a more sustainable strategy for the store than throwing exclusivity deals around.

This is something they will have to reckon with in the long run, but in the short run, there really isn't a better strategy.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
By writing pay checks for exclusivity deals we totally empower developers and not publishers and shareholders. Please, Please believe us: our intentions are altruistic. The consumer's only role is to pay us. He doesn't deserve features or anything, what we are offering is good enough. Please come to us publishers *erm* I meant developers. We only care about developers, they benefit so much from those deals we make with publishers after all. The best deals ever. Unbelievable deals! We are the deal experts! Make gaming great again.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Man and according to him wasn't Microsoft supposed to destroy PC gaming with their own store? What happened to all that?

OP
OP
qrac

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
love how they went from "competition" to "storefront war" ,
their true intentions are finally showing even in PR speak

and even moneyhat is confirmed straight out of his mouth
Some people don't have a problem with money hatting. As he said it's one of the ways Epic can compete with Valve.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

I'm convinced they know Fortnite's popularity will wane in the coming years, and they're throwing money around while they have it in order to build a more sustainable business model. The problem is it's not consumer-friendly at all, and is doing the opposite of what they want - keeping people like me away from their store.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So we should support bad consumer practices because the EGS doesn't have a better business strategy?

Is this resetera or did I fall into another forum?

You don't have to support anything you don't want to support and you certainly wont find any post of mine telling you or anyone else to support it.

Also, frankly speaking, you being "inconvenienced" doesn't mean the practices are "bad" or "anti-consumer" (which is a word that's been so diluted here it no longer means anything).

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
If by "It's nearly perfect for consumers already" he's talking about Steam, then sure. It has important flaws that should have been addressed long ago, but it offers so much to its customers that no other gaming service or platform can compare. If he was referring to the Epic Store, then it's a blatant lie and I'd bet money he doesn't believe this himself.
It's pretty clear to me that he talks about the overall market.

As for the "displacing a dominant storefront" part, that may or may not be true, but it certainly isn't a valid excuse not to try. Having all these useful features doesn't guarantee that I'd start using it, but the lack of them ensures I won't even download the client for the free games.
That's why they obviously try ...

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Some people don't have a problem with money hatting. As he said it's one of the ways Epic can compete with Valve.

For a limited time.

You can't survive on money hats alone.

You don't have to support anything you don't want to support and you certainly wont find any post of mine telling you or anyone else to support it.

Also, frankly speaking, you being "inconvenienced" doesn't mean the practices are "bad" or "anti-consumer" (which is a word that's been so diluted here it no longer means anything).

What would you consider to be "anti consumer"?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So I guess forcing consumers to pay their payment processor fees is no longer anti-consumer?

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Then why is he having his developers do PR to claim this is good for consumers.

And people need to stop taking about prices.

The EGS is not cheap and will not be cheaper. AND they are deliberatly cutting any way of getting games for cheaper.

Why would a business try selling their products in the best possible light? Is that what you're asking?

And as for prices, I guess I would ask why you feel this is the case given the current state of the store has existed less than a year?

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
He's right about Steam.

Y'all wild if you can't see it, but Steam zealots are pretty wild.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i already said this in another thread about the same article but it bothers me that they just admit they can't come up with anything better

like come on there's tons of stuff you could do to make your client more competitive, sure they might take time and energy but your one option isn't just throwing money around

it's honestly sad to me how uncreative or adventurous they are

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Why would a business try selling their products in the best possible light? Is that what you're asking?

And as for prices, I guess I would ask why you feel this is the case given the current state of the store has existed less than a year?

Lying is the operative word here. Because he literally says here he isn't thinking about consumers with his business strategy
And yet it's somehow good for consumers in developer paid Epic store PR? But oddly Epic themselves stopped claiming this

So in the future when when they have less money because Fortnite will at some point become diminished they will cut prices for the benefit of consumers?

How does that math work out?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I would be totally fine with Sweeney coming out and saying "yeah, we want to fuck Steam's shit up a bit cause we got tons of cash to blow through". Maybe this will push Steam into moderating their forums AND their storefronts.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I would be totally fine with Sweeney coming out and saying "yeah, we want to fuck Steam's shit up a bit cause we got tons of cash to blow through". Maybe this will push Steam into moderating their forums AND their storefronts.

Yeah moderating the forums is TOTALLY going to counter a company spending millions to moneyhat.

So I guess you would support Steam just up and doing the same as Epic? Buying up exclusives and forgetting about their features now?

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
"PC games distribution is pretty much perfect right now. So, please, let us ruin that by dropping our store rates to 12% so we can't afford to put games on sale, and making the devs pay Youtubers out of their own sales cut, destroying the third-party key market, and then paying off publishers so the only place you can buy the game is from our storefront. That one last step towards perfection!"

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone

I love going back to the gaf threads anytime something was moneyhatted (whether its a game or DLC) and seeing people give a shit about being treated poorly by companies.

Then coming here and seeing the posts after Epic's Store got introduced. Its unreal. Pun intended if you prefer.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's right about Steam.

Y'all wild if you can't see it, but Steam zealots are pretty wild.
Gvz0fl6.jpg

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

More like Epic's whole initiative has been so anti-consumer from the start that hearing it repeated over & over simply becomes white noise to EGS apologists.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Well, I can tell you from personal experience that my local Louis Vuitton and Gucci stores never have sales.

Perhaps they want to be on that level. :-)

Maybe.. That actually makes sense. Especially considering the games that are the EGS currently; AAA and high profile polished Indie titles.

EGS, for the discerning and dev supporting gamer!

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah moderating the forums is TOTALLY going to counter a company spending millions to moneyhat.

So I guess you would support Steam just up and doing the same as Epic? Buying up exclusives and forgetting about their features now?
I'm not supporting anyone in this "fight", it's just that I have reasons to enjoy seeing Steam getting some heat. That's more enjoyable than any game one of these platforms could buy exclusivity for.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they can continue this, that is moneyhatting and low cut for them, then I can see them disrupting Steam due to flocking of said developer. I go to where the games at and I don't really care about any PC storefront since it's just a storefront.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe.. That actually makes sense. Especially considering the games that are the EGS currently; AAA and high profile polished Indie titles.

EGS, for the discerning and dev supporting gamer!

That also requires them to deny any and all third party sales.

Like with the division 2

The market is so good for consumers, too good in fact that Epic wants to take choice away from the consumer.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But delivery is only half the deal, so is Epic offering financial incentives, above and beyond the superior revenue split, to games which move exclusively to the store?

"Yes, we've worked to ensure it's genuinely worthwhile for developers to move to the Epic Games store," Sweeney replies openly. That's because Battle Pass has given the company one hell of a war chest, or as Sweeney puts it: "Fortnite's success has given Epic significant latitude to help developers."
Nice to have this from the horse's mouth. Maybe dumbshits can't stop saying "where's your proof it's a money hat?", "How do you know their internal contract with Epic" despite being transparently obvious to everyone with a functioning brain that it was a moneyhat

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Y'all can do all the hot takes you want about the Epic Store, but he's not wrong...

He's not wrong in that this is potentially a viable disruptive market tactic.

He's in the wrong because his company has shitty consumer practices and his product has shoddy features for users and they're selling this as good for users.

They are also, potentially, bad for the market. I have no faith that Epic, if it were to become the market leader, would be a superior benevolent industry/market force than Steam. Already we have a lack of free key generation for 3rd party websites, for instance.