• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's unsustainable is that the capital investment of developing games is greater than that of running a digital store and the ratio is more than 70/30. What's unsustainable is that Steam has a monopoly on game distribution.

I want games to be more profitable for developers and publishers because I love the medium and want more projects to become financially viable.

Steam allow developers to generate keys and resell on 3rd party key resellers, and Steam earns nothing from this.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I think Epic will eventually bully Steam into a higher cut . That would be good. Maybe not to match EGS , but a higher cut than what they offer now.

Epic can keep on buying games up. No matter what Steam fans , or non fans of EGS say now...if all the big new games are only on EGS what are you going to do ?

Let your hate for a company beat out your love for gaming ? I'd pick gaming.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they're picking on Steam's revenue because Epic doesn't need the store, they have Tencent backing them and fortnite and UE4 revenues.

At this point Steam, as a private company, should sell half or a controlling stake to Disney and watch Epic change their tune in a heartbeat

Oct 27, 2017
I think Epic will eventually bully Steam into a higher cut . That would be good. Maybe not to match EGS , but a higher cut than what they offer now.

Epic can keep on buying games up. No matter what Steam fans , or non fans of EGS say now...if all the big new games are only on EGS what are you going to do ?

I would quit PC gaming and PC gaming as a whole would return to 1990s pirate fest.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely would not. What are devs losing by accepting money from Epic, when they can release on Steam 6 months later and make bank there too?

Many good devs understand the importance of fostering community - look at Frostpunk as a recent example - they leveraged the success of War is Mine and it translated into a huge start up sales. You're throwing a lot of that momentum into the waste basket when you take that money and put your game exclusively in one place.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
In what capacity has Valve squeezed their suppliers, though? They started out at the 30% cut from day 1, when they were one of only a tiny handful of players on the market, and it remains there to this day, only now if you sell above certain thresholds it's lowered to 25% (for big hits) and then 20% (for mega hits). They service games that are sold outside of their own storefront, both through retail channels and third party key resellers, sales on which they take no margin. They have increased the amount of services they offer to developers, not decreased it.

It's other storefronts that have come out offering lower cuts in an effort to entice developers to jump onboard, not Valve jacking up prices. Both from a consumer and developer perspective, Steam offers you much, much more in 2019 than it did in 2006, and the margin they charge developers has not increased. If you're a big player, it's decreased.

It really does not fit any model of how a monopolistic entity behaves. This isn't surprising though, because competition from PC Digital Distribution services is not their only worry. They're also in competition with consoles, smartphones, and browser games, so even if they had 100% control over all PC digital distribution, it's not clear that it would be necessary for governments to take antitrust action against them, because they would not control all of the commodity or supply since "PC games that you buy and download" isn't a class of commodity in the same sense that controlling all the milk or oil in the world is. That's also why regulators don't break up Sony just because they "have a monopoly of games sold on playstation". It doesn't matter, because Playstation itself doesn't represent all videogames.

I don't think Valve is predatory or evil. As I said, they are a great company. But they do have too much pricing power against their suppliers. The fact that they offer discounts to their strongest suppliers only goes to show that the power dynamic is what determines the market outcome. Strong suppliers pay 25% and even 20%, weaker suppliers pay 30%.

I'm not calling for government action, but I think it's natural for publishers to try and shift the power dynamics in their favor given how dominant Steam is on PC. Their competition with other platforms is not irrelevant but it is limited in its effect because there are gamers who only play on PC or have a strong preference for PC.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I would like to see Epic implement everything the Steam client offers, and still only ask for 12%.

Well Epic already plans to start charging to get streamers to play games for proper marketing, although the wording on how much it will cost is quite confusing.

Also, it seems like EGS is behind schedule on getting more features; I think cloud saves were supposed to be introduced 2 months ago.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

You ever heard of this service issue called "piracy?".

Note: I'm not condoning it, just saying it will become a much bigger thing again

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I'm not insisting Epic's current state is the ideal solution. But if they're the ones saying 30% doesn't need to be the norm - and a storefront can in fact find a more amicable split at a lower percentage - that's a policy worth hearing out. The answer can fall somewhere in the middle. The answer can come from somebody other than Epic. The answer can be spread to other digital storefronts across console and PC.

But right now, we're only considering the question because Epic asked it.
I'm basically telling ya'll not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

There's objective benefits to having a competitor in the market that is trying to increase dev cut, curb unnecessary features, and curate a storefront. You do not need to hate these ideas, simply because you do not like EGS.

Comparatively, you could consider that Steam could adopt and grow from some of these conversations taking place - rather than declaring that the current system is perfect, and that anybody who says otherwise is cashing a check from Tencent.

I just get annoyed with how quickly these discussions devolve into mudslinging, rather than actual consideration of the issue.
The problem lies with the nature of each storefront.

Steam is Valve's primary source of income. It powers the entire R&D branch, provides funds for all side developments and the rest of the company. Proton for Linux, Valve Index, any ongoing game development, etc, that's all money gotten from the operation of Steam.

EGS is a side busness for Epic Games, their primary source of income being UE4 licensing and Fortnite, the actual financial returns on its operation are inconsequential to the company as long as they're not negative.

I don't think it should take an economics major to see the problem here.:
- Epic Games can afford to run EGS on minimal profit, without hurting their ongoing developments in any way.
- Valve relies on the profits from Steam to actually run their company and expand their business.

This is before even taking the difference of the featureset provided into account, i.e. Steam itself takes a lot more money to run that EGS because of the features it provides to both developers and customers. There's no fair comparison here, Epic runs EGS the way it does because they don't care how much money it makes - nobody else has that luxury.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

If Steam change their revenue cut to match the one of Epic it means:
- The death of 3rd party stores like Humble and GMG. Dont believe me ? See Borderlands 3 which got a maximum discount of 10% on GMG or which isnt getting the Humble 10% off for the Monthly members.
- Higher prices in general (Since their removal of 3rd party stores, Anno 1800 and Division saw 2 saw their price raise by 15 to 20€. So good for customers).
- A chargeup for customers on multiple payment options.
- Less features to be developped since the store would run on razor thin margins.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
If Steam change their revenue cut to match the one of Epic it means:
- The death of 3rd party stores like Humble and GMG. Dont believe me ? See Borderlands 3 which got a maximum discount of 10% on GMG or which isnt getting the Humble 10% off for the Monthly members.
- Higher prices in general (Since their removal of 3rd party stores, Anno 1800 and Division saw 2 saw their price raise by 15 to 20€. So good for customers).
- A chargeup for customers on multiple payment options.
- Less features to be developped since the store would run on razor thin margins.
How much is Valve worth ? Tbh 30 percent seems ridiculous. I know everyone does it but still ...it seems like a rip off

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I would quit PC gaming and PC gaming as a whole would return to 1990s pirate fest.
Yup, there's a reason storefronts have to give a fuck about the customers, especially so when your goods are digital.
Many good devs understand the importance of fostering community - look at Frostpunk as a recent example - they leveraged the success of War is Mine and it translated into a huge start up sales. You're throwing a lot of that momentum into the waste basket when you take that money and put your game exclusively in one place.
I know but I don't think large publishers worry about that, or in some cases even realize that.
How much is Valve worth ? Tbh 30 percent seems ridiculous. I know everyone does it but still ...it seems like a rip off
And on what grounds is that opinion validated or informed? Do you understand why it's 30%?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I don't think Valve is predatory or evil. As I said, they are a great company. But they do have too much pricing power against their suppliers. The fact that they offer discounts to their strongest suppliers only goes to show that the power dynamic is what determines the market outcome. Strong suppliers pay 25% and even 20%, weaker suppliers pay 30%.

I'm not calling for government action, but I think it's natural for publishers to try and shift the power dynamics in their favor given how dominant Steam is on PC. Their competition with other platforms is not irrelevant but it is limited in its effect because there are gamers who only play on PC or have a strong preference for PC.
The entire reason why Valve can't provide a better cut for developers, is their rising to "natural monopoly" status. From a competition law point of view, a "better cut for developers" from Steam would not be "improving the market conditions", it would be "driving existing competitor stores out of business by drawing away their suppliers with superior offers and dominant market presence".

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Valve has such a monopoly on their suppliers that they allow for free unlimited key generation which means they dont get a single cent out of external sales and devs can get up to 100% on these keys... Which is also the reason why there's actual competition in the PC market with all these stores. For some games, there's like 40% sales done outside of Steam. Even higher for others. Despite these games redeeming on Steam and Valve offering full service for... 0 dollars.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Yup, there's a reason storefronts have to give a fuck about the customers, especially so when your goods are digital.

I know but I don't think large publishers worry about that, or in some cases even realize that.
And on what grounds is that opinion validated or informed? Do you understand why it's 30%?
I dont . But I see EGS can do 12. 30 seems really high .

Maybe 20 would be better .

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Because you dont like EGS ? Geez .
As for the piracy thing ...I doubt it.

I guess we will see how things go in the future.
No, I would quit because I fundamentally disagree with Epic trying to turn PC gaming into a walled garden, don't for a second think that if EGS gets the chance that they won't hesitate to push Steam and other 3rd parties out to try and monopolise the market. I don't have an irrational hatred for EGS, I just see it as something harmful to a hobby I love.

As for piracy... from anecdotal experience, I can already see it happening which is worrying.

Epic has all but outright admitted that their current split is unsustainable even now when they don't even have half of the Steam ecosystem features and are forcing transaction fees on to consumers. Not to mention Steam's 30% is only a half-truth.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's funny is his statement is exactly right and completely misinterpreted just like he expected.

I mean yeah, Steam drops to that amount, there is no need for them to make exclusive deals. They wont be able to get them. lmao.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

EGS cant do 12 on a sustainable way. Hence why the service has so little features. Hence why for a lot of payment options, the cost has to be paid by the customer.

Heck, having wallet cards is already a 15% cost to cover for the store. That's already out of EGS reach.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
No, I would quit because I fundamentally disagree with Epic trying to turn PC gaming into a walled garden, don't for a second think that if EGS gets the chance that they won't hesitate to push Steam and other 3rd parties out to try and monopolise the market. I don't have an irrational hatred for EGS, I just see it as something harmful to a hobby I love.

As for piracy... from anecdotal experience, I can already see it happening which is worrying.
Well I doubt many people would follow you but if you have that strong of a stance on it, I guess you would do what you feel is right .

I like games to much to care about this , what imo, is nonsense .

Can you even pirate games now and play them online?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Screw EGS and Tim Sweeney, Fortnite fever needs to start dying down so they wont have unlimited money to force exclusives on their crap store that is anti-consumer and lacks a ton of features expected in 2019. Of course he fails to mention how a much smaller cut would mean that Steam would no longer be able to cover the fees on payment methods that are very popular outside the US, resulting in the consumer paying an extra 5-10% on top of the regular price of the game. Plus, Epic isn't an open platform like Steam, they curate very specifically to mostly AA indie developers and as many AAA devs as possible, guess what they all have in common - they all have publishers who will be receiving the extra cut, we all know trickle down economics works and the publishers will be giving all the extra money to the developers, right.........

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
They do 12% while foisting fees on to the consumer, and while offering services that are frankly pathetic and basic compared to Steam's.
I haven't had any fees from egs , but I guess it's different in other places .

I wouldn't expect a relatively new store to be able to match steam , which has been around for how long ? I'm sure steam didn't start with the features it has now ?

Oct 27, 2017
Higher prices and a step 10 years back in term of what we uses to get on PC in term of services and options. With the rise of piracy that'll happen because of that crap, expect also publishers to withdraw from the platform. It happened before. It can always happen.
And then Epic would be like whoops it seems like you guys were indeed pirates!

Then they would fuck off leaving a shit storm behind.

Oct 27, 2017

I wouldn't expect a relatively new store to be able to match steam , which has been around for how long ? I'm sure steam didn't start with the features it has now ?
I would. Its fucking 2019 and they are sitting in billions of dollars. They could have done it if they wanted it.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Higher prices and a step 10 years back in term of what we uses to get on PC in term of services and options. With the rise of piracy that'll happen because of that crap, expect also publishers to withdraw from the platform. It happened before. It can always happen.
Maybe that would happen , or maybe not much would change at all .

I dont see any reason for what egs is doing now to cause a massive rise in piracy

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's definitely a lot more to the equation than just 70% vs. 88%, but I think you're underselling that the revenue share is still most of it. The difference between the two, 18%, will certainly make up for the lack of those features (which Epic may very likely end up offering within 12 months anyway) nevermind the freedom for publishers/developers to choose how they spend it rather than just assuming Valve's platform is using that cash for their clients' best interests.

Not for developers who are strong in developing countries (SNK being one) where the local payment service transaction fees would be passed onto the consumer, which would drive away purchases.

If Epic ends up catching up on features and local payment services that will be a different story, but that is a big if IMO.
Let's be honest here. 99% of the people complaining about the 30% cut have absolutely no idea what kind of tools and features Steamworks offers to developers.

Does the EGS even have a robust multiplayer matchmaking API at this point? I was told that it did not yet, but I am no longer a bizdev guy so I don't take part in those conversations really anymore.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Well I doubt many people would follow you but if you have that strong of a stance on it, I guess you would do what you feel is right .

I like games to much to care about this , what imo, is nonsense .

Can you even pirate games now and play them online?
I like games too much TO NOT care about this. I'm going to continue to link this for people who want more information -
The Great Epic Store FAQ

And yes, from what I understand there are several ways these days to play pirated games online, though it's been possible for a long time through LAN tunnelling.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Steam didn't start with these features because they weren't a standard thing back then.

Would you expect a YouTube competitor to launch without HD video, a player to control sound and video position, streaming and a search bar ?

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Painting something that mostly benefits publishers and money men (aka parasites) as pro dev while presiding over a horrific culture of crunch sure is some peak late stage capitalism.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo develops their own hardware ecosystem which means a lot of fixed costs and risk. So do Microsoft and Sony. Valve builds on the existing PC ecosystem. If anything your question proves my point. They are charging developers the same as Nintendo without creating their own hardware ecosystem.

Also, Nintendo has a monopoly on the Switch store, so them charging 30% shows that this is probably the equilibrium monopoly pricing (they can't raise it any further without hurting demand for their store). So yeah, this comparison doesn't put valve in the best light.

dumb dumb dumb. this is all from the gut truthiness without a shread of insight into how software development actually works.

First of all, from the perspective of a software developer, nobody gives a shit that Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo develop their own hardware. Bespoke, exotic hardware is actually generally a hinderence to software development, which is why the trend has been towards more homogeneous architectures. Developers care about being able to reach consumers, and spread as wide of a net as possible. I don't have to pay Nvidia a royalty to develop for their video cards, I don't have to pay Intel to develop for their X86_64 cpus. And beyond all that, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc already charge a separate fee to develop on their hardware before you even begin to sell your game, that entities like valve do not. Nintendo isn't recouping their cost of hardware through a percentage of digital sales.

Beyond that, in terms of developer tools, steam absolutely is a platform just like Nintendo and Sony and Microsoft provide. Valve invests a ton of money into all sorts of library and tool development, they essentially prop up the entire PC development platform these days. This is most obvious when you see it applied directly to linux. Valve IS linux gaming at this point, offering steam itself (with a host of paid-by-value open source resources) as a library for developers to link against.

Your post is the exact opposite of true.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Maybe that would happen , or maybe not much would change at all .

I dont see any reason for what egs is doing now to cause a massive rise in piracy

Do you not see how offering a worse service at a higher price point will result in increased piracy? Especially in poorer regions that epic is already implicitly telling to get fucked with their additional payment processing fees?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
And why shouldn't Valve? If Valve is the benevolent company that so many gamers make it out to be, why couldn't it?

Benevolent is not what a lot of people argue Valve is, and it's disingenuous to imply it is. The whole "Good Guy Valve" meme is because they do a lot of pro-consumer and pro-developer work with Steam - APIs that are free to use, good refund system, good event sales, free key generation, and with little gatekeeping for products that want on the store. None of this is "benevolent" - it's a sound business philosophy, that benefits both consumer and developer/publisher. Could Steam be improved in both areas? Yes. Would a lower cut help devs/pubs? Yes. But this is a business, and all businesses have to be run profitably. As others have noted, a 12% cut for everything that Steam provides to devs/pubs is unsustainable.