• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Bro I'm telling you guys when these Xbox studios start churning out games its going to get crazy, looking forward to this

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's finally time, looking forward to this for forever.
Also excited for Tim to start working on other stuff also, hopefully point and clicks.

OP
OP
FarSight XR-20
Jan 4, 2018
Does dialog writing usually end five years after announcing a title?

Game has likely entered the polishing stage.

Psychonauts 2 can be played from start to finish and will no longer accept any new content in December, according to Double Fine.

www.thegamer.com

Psychonauts 2 Content Lock Is Happening This Month

Psychonauts 2 can be played from start to finish and will no longer accept any new content in December, according to Double Fine.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Tim is such a great writer and a great person too. One of the industry legends. Hoping for the game to be a success!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
They are still writing Dialog? Jesus. Thought this is finally around the corner and not another 2 years away.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are still writing Dialog? Jesus. Thought this is finally around the corner and not another 2 years away.
Lines of banter that play over gameplay can come in very late. They're typically easy to implement. I doubt he's still revising and writing the game's cutscenes or key narrative moments.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
A bit selfish on my end, but nah. I mean about the last part lol.

I hope this is it for Psychonauts. I want DF to work on something new.
Tim has said that whatever he makes next, he wants it to be a new thing and not a sequel or a throwback. So I wouldn't expect Psychonauts 3 or at least, wouldn't expect it soon

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, just sounds weird when you first read such a posting, cause my mind was immediately at " isn't it bug fixing only in the last months?".

nah

sometimes you're doing fixes to the content... like imagine if you cut something because you don't have the time and it breaks dialog so you need to rewrite the dialog to account for that change

even though engineering is usually the thing that wraps up last, sometimes it isn't.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm stoked.

Does dialog writing usually end five years after announcing a title?
For another example, Eiji Aonuma was still writing BotW dialogue in 2016, in the final year before the game's release for a title that ostensibly only released the following year because its launch was coordinated with the Switch. He suggested that finalizing dialogue and game text is something that takes place in the "end stages of development."

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
A bit selfish on my end, but nah. I mean about the last part lol.

I hope this is it for Psychonauts. I want DF to work on something new.
Double Fine/Tim Schafer have been very vocal in being deliberate on not doing sequels and with the amount of creative folks they have in the team, giving different teams a wide variety of projects, it's for the better. This is why I hope Psychonauts 2 is pretty special and worth the exception.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Double Fine/Tim Schafer have been very vocal in being deliberate on not doing sequels and with the amount of creative folks they have in the team, giving different teams a wide variety of projects, it's for the better. This is why I hope Psychonauts 2 is pretty special and worth the exception.
This is something that keeps making my hope glands flare up. Hopefully it wasn't just "this will sell" and was born of the team having too many cool ideas they need to get out into the universe.

The biggest thing that excites me is how far technology has come and what we've already seen them do. Games have utilised the capabilty for truly impossible visuals far too rarely and Psychonauts will definitely have some fun pushing them to extremes.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like thier first game that they've had the comfort of not cutting corners to meet a very tight deadline. Congrats! Can't wait to play it.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is something that keeps making my hope glands flare up. Hopefully it wasn't just "this will sell" and was born of the team having too many cool ideas they need to get out into the universe.

The biggest thing that excites me is how far technology has come and what we've already seen them do. Games have utilised the capabilty for truly impossible visuals far too rarely and Psychonauts will definitely have some fun pushing them to extremes.
Well the first Psychonauts was a massive commercial bomb despite getting great reviews and becoming a cult classic. So I don't think we need to be worried about them being purely motivated by sales potential.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Well the first Psychonauts was a massive commercial bomb despite getting great reviews and becoming a cult classic. So I don't think we need to be worried about them being purely motivated by sales potential.
Well yeah, but the cult classic did eventually turn into many many sales and big word of mouth. 1.7M by the end of things (with the .7M largely being the humble bundle sales). Sequels just conceptually always draw in more of a crowd as well.

I'm not saying it was a pure greed motivator because for the reasons you said that's silly, but I hope that it was birthed mostly via "we want to" and less via "we have to because best shot at money"

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I missed this. Crazy it's been close to 20 years since the original Psychonauts came out.

Fuck.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Interesting, just sounds weird when you first read such a posting, cause my mind was immediately at " isn't it bug fixing only in the last months?".

Just imagine what it's like when level 6 and 9 get cut (which are key plot point levels) and then level 3 becomes level 10 and you have to rewrite a bunch of portions of the script (and/or repurpose, edit, and rearrange VO to make everything make sense even though key locations, events, or plot points no longer exist in the game) to make it all work. 4 months before you ship.

Game development!