• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Tim Rogers of Kotaku lists the top 10 games of the decade, determined by his own methodology. This is a long one, and filled with his own musings and elaborations, if you know that style from his long form Dragon Quest reviews.

Here's the list, but I'd avoid clicking this if you intend to watch the video. It's the journey, man, not the destination.

10. Destiny
9. Super Mario Maker 2
8. Flappy Bird
7. Overwatch
6. The Witcher 3 and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
5. PUBG
4. Getting Over it With Bennett Foddy
3. Undertale
2. Killer Queen
!?1. VideoBall
Actual 1. Dark Souls

Note: This isn't strictly speaking a top 10 BEST games of the decade, watch the video for elaboration.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I don't always love Tim Rogers stuff but really enjoyed his appearance on the Bad End podcast (that he mentions in this video), he almost works better in that format than he does in his videos.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking of what mine would be for each year...

Goddamn 2017 is tough. Persona 5, Nier Automata, Breath of the Wild, Odyssey, Digimon World Next Order...well that last one for me.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
50 minute Tim Rogers video?

giphy.webp

niiiiice

Side note: I would lose it if Tim did a video together with Brian Gilbert of Polygon. Maybe that's illegal though. Brains would melt.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't have the best day. But 10 minutes into the Tim ramblings I feel a whole lot more comfortable.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Videoball really should be in people's Top 25 of the decade. It's the purest goddamned "abstracted video game sport" title since NES Ice Hockey. Shame that its online netcode was trash at launch.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Ziggurat is probably in my top 10 for the decade. Videoball gets all the discussion but Ziggurat was basically perfect to me.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Videoball is actually good and you should play it.

And yes, count me shocked as well that DQ11 isn't on this list given Tim's multiple love letters to it.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Flappy Bird is a way out of left pick but I get it. Hell its an app that went on to become a staple at Dave & Buster arcades.

Also, he said Switch is console of the decade. I haven't heard this anywhere else but I'm inclined to agree.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think it helps to watch the video to get why each item is where it is, and why it's on the list. It's not "Highest Rated," "Most Acclaimed Games of the Decade," or even "Best Games of the Decade," but his own rationale for each item.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Almost got a little choked up at the end of the #3 segment. I had the same feeling after finishing the game, and it directly led to finally jumping into the first creative thing I had done in years. I still haven't quite arrived anywhere with that drive, but I still think back to the game every single day as I push myself to keep going.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be that guy but the decade ends next year in 2020. 2010 was the end of the last decade.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Of course there's people in here saying his list is wrong, or invalid, or that these are not the games of the decade. Of course these people didn't watch the video, of perhaps don't understand Tim's "schtick", or maybe they're just so self indulgently occupied with their own biases and perceptions that the mere idea of someone daring to say something controversial or antagonistic to their precious gamer mentality that they just have to lash out against it Because "gamers".

Along the lines of something Tim said, perhaps the true game of the decade is the discourse of gamers, alongside the entitlement of the collective whole, and the toxic downturn of conversation in the post-social media age.

Okay, rant over, good video, enjoyable list. Each submission is frankly very well reasoned to the point I find it hard to disagree, even though I only like 3 of the games on the list.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Tim Rogers is amazing, he makes me laugh just with that staring-into-space thumbnail before I even start the video

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Given his premise Auto Chess should probably have been on there. Great video though.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really listened to Tim before, but I like him. Though I'm not sure if it was my setup or his sound mixing, but I reallly had to crank the sound up for this video.

Also I need to go back and play more Videoball.

Not to be that guy but the decade ends next year in 2020. 2010 was the end of the last decade.
It's been discussed. 99% of people don't care.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Oh Tim, where is Death Stranding? You enjoyed it to the point of doing 5 different reviews for it in a single video.

Hmm if I understood it correctly, Tim found it to be a better book than a game (or was it a better tamagochi?). I guess DS will be 1st place in his books of the decade list just like he had a DS for this one.

Will watch the video now. I found some of the choices baffling (which is great), but I'm sure they will make a whole lot of sense after listening to him for one hour.