• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
:( I really like his work and hope to follow up wherever he goes if he continues writing/producing content about games!

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tim is one of my favorite people in the industry: his video content is wild, strange, and thoughtful. His Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts 3 reviews are art. His "Growing Up Sixty-Four" piece is one of the most interesting and evocative things I've read on a game website, it captures the time *around* video games so well https://kotaku.com/growing-up-sixty-four-1644419166.

Also his game VIDEOBALL is an excellent, elegantly simple multiplayer game, can't wait for Truckheck!

OP
OP
reconceptualize
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Tim is one of my favorite people in the industry: his video content is wild, strange, and thoughtful. His Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts 3 reviews are art. His "Growing Up Sixty-Four" piece is one of the most interesting and evocative things I've read on a game website, it captures the time *around* video games so well https://kotaku.com/growing-up-sixty-four-1644419166.

Also his game VIDEOBALL is an excellent, elegantly simple multiplayer game, can't wait for Truckheck!

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

Glad to see he's got support from around the industry too. Lots of well-wishes on Twitter.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I never heard of this guy until this past week. Someone tell me why he is important, cliff notes version please.

nevermind. Just seen some posts.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Title is misleading. He's just not making videos for them full time anymore. Doesn't mean he won't put content on Kotaku and elsewhere.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I was just starting to get into his content. I hope whatever he does next proved successful

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I really like his videos and I'll most likely follow him to the next place he's streaming from.

This is a loss for Kotaku.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Tim Rogers is basically the only person at Kotaku whose content I still enjoy, so it's a big loss for them, in my view.

This is semi related, and I didn't want to start a new thread, but what in ungodly HELL is up with Kotaku's comments? They're one of the biggest gaming sites going, but have zero comments on most articles because they're buried under 200 click bait ads!

In addition to other problems people mentioned, Kinja also has the stupid "grey" system which, by default, makes the majority of comments invisible to everyone else on the website. Their comment system is unbelievably bad.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Ah hell. Just caught up on the Deadspin and G/O stuff. It looks pretty hopeless. Not much else to go for reasonable video game journalism if Kotaku goes down and there's no fighting G/O except quitting. G/O didn't compromise from trying to keep Deadspin in their lane, just zero tolerance and immediate firings. No wonder the staff left.

Man, I really liked Tim Roger's Dragon Quest 11 review. It had a pleasant self deprecating but positive enthusiasm. It felt like Senator Pastore listening to Mr. Rogers convince him to keep public TV funded, approaching with cynicism but leaving as a believer.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like it's a good move for him based on his comments. I'm glad he's not moving away from videos/writing entirely and I'll be sure to follow wherever he ends up next.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, I'll be unsubscribing to Kotaku and contributing to his Patreon, that's for sure.

I can't think of any voice in the industry I enjoy more than Tim's. He has changed my perspective on the value of video game analysis and criticism, and I learn things when I listen to him. And as pretentious as that sounds, he does this while being a big dumb dumptruck of knowledge. It's wonderful.

I have found myself thinking in recent videos, "how is he getting away with this?" when he openly trashes Kotaku. It's a shame that the answer to that question isn't "because criticism and satire is OK." But if that's what Kotaku is now, I hope something better comes out of it for Tim and everyone else who jumps ship.

Is there a good (non-paywalled) article to catch up on this recent Kotaku shitstorm? I'm only getting bits of it.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After his appearance on the bad end podcast I knew this was coming.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
He was the only reason I even clicked the site. Now I don't have to do that much. His FF7 vid was spot on and I love his enthusiasm. Following him wherever he goes.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I've been following the guy since stumbling upon his old Livejournal about living in Japan. Sometimes it's hard following him since he switches sites! He's probably my favourite writer on the internet. I'll throw money at him! You hear that actionbutton ?

Hazzuh

Oct 28, 2017
I loved all of his reviews in the mid 2000s, his action button review of Bangai-O Spirits made me go and buy it immediately lol. Will be supporting whatever he does next. Hopefully TRUCKHECK releases soon.

Last edited:

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I wonder if there's some way to turn all of the increased eyeballs on Tim's videos into an Action Button collection or something on Switch. Mainly I want to play Ziggurat again, but also all of those Vita games I missed since I never had a Vita.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
This makes his recent boatload of uploads kind of bittersweet. I do hope I'll get to hear him ramble about his life again soon. Until then, there's alot of his stuff I can catch up on. Best of luck!

qatak

Oct 27, 2017

I had never read this before... what an amazing piece.

Tim seems to have an unbelievable ability to recall specific things - does he have a photographic memory?

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Given the mass exodus from Kotaku as of late, this is hardly surprising. That's not to say that it stings any less, because this is the one I feel the most.

His recent video output was genuinely wonderful, considered, and full of joy about games. His content always carries a real sense of whimsy with it, which is something we could always use more of.

However, I couldn't be more excited for Action Button!

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Noo, where can I get my prereviews now

Godspeed, Tim. Your videos are a delight and treasure much like yourself. I'll be there to support your patreon should you make one.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I wonder if there's some way to turn all of the increased eyeballs on Tim's videos into an Action Button collection or something on Switch. Mainly I want to play Ziggurat again, but also all of those Vita games I missed since I never had a Vita.
Tuffy and the Tower of Bones being PlayStation Mobile ONLY is so tragic!
Tim seems to have an unbelievable ability to recall specific things - does he have a photographic memory?
I watched a video of his earlier today where he was recalling characters with sunglasses and thought the same thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I've come to realize that Tim Rogers is exactly what I want for video game coverage. Hopefully he keeps the videos coming... He might be the first Patreon I subscribe to.

Last edited:

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I purchased DQ11 on steam and then refunded it after trying the intro. Then I watched his wonderful love letter to the game and repurchased it immediately and it's one of my most beloved jrpgs ever! I often go back and rewatch it because it's chill as heck like the game.

Anyway I'm wishing him massive success wherever life takes him! His videos were all amazing!

Anchelepizze

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 18, 2019

Thank you so much, I found out about Tim just a couple months ago and this captivated me in a way articles and books usually don't (because I'm stupid), but now I have a treasure trove of stuff to read. Even the videos I've already seen have a small story on the website, I feel like I should read em while I can.
I'll happily keep an eye on what's next, godspeed.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Alexa.... play Komm Susser Tod 😞😞😞

Kotaku really isn't gonna be here soon is it...

I'll subscribe to my mans Patreon

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
" however, when some wig-haired motorola-hip-holster-havin Daddy's Man and his pet TJ Maxx Frankenstein murdered my *second*-favorite website, i couldn't let it slide "
What's he talking about?

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
Extremely talented dude - excited to see him crank out more content through a Patreon and get #TRUCKHECK finished.

Also get this man on a podcast.

actionbutton

Jan 28, 2019
New York
hey, thanks everybody!!!!!!

. . . i just wanna clarify that there's a little bit (a lot) more going on than i might have hinted at in the twitter thread. i have been receiving a lot of interesting collaboration offers and such lately, and we're in the process of preparing to release MOON in english, and TRUCK HECK is coming along super-well all of a sudden, and suddenly a podcast seems like a MUCH better idea than it did before, and . . . just a lot of stuff!

my ideal plan was to really professionally do up new youtube and twitch channel branding for myself—logos, motion graphics, hardware, software, camera, green screen, new chair, etc—and then seamlessly quit right into my new thing, though planning all that while also working this full-time job just wasn't working out.

i was making such slow progress on my personal project that it really felt like cutting the brutal new york subway commute and daily eight-hour office-sit out of my weekdays might help me really drill down and finish some stuff. and i feel like it's gonna work.

so i'm gonna hunker down in my home office and focus on secret stuff (and the final steps of MOON!) for a while. i'll be back at making videos hopefully in time for animal crossing, and definitely for FFVII remake! subscribe to youtube.com/108x (i gotta get a better URL, oops) and follow twitch.tv/actionbutton while i finish setting my whole enterprise up :-O

and i never said there would be a patreon . . . i said maybe there WOULDN'T be a patreon (lol)

May 26, 2018

. . . i just wanna clarify that there's a little bit (a lot) more going on than i might have hinted at in the twitter thread. i have been receiving a lot of interesting collaboration offers and such lately, and we're in the process of preparing to release MOON in english, and TRUCK HECK is coming along super-well all of a sudden, and suddenly a podcast seems like a MUCH better idea than it did before, and . . . just a lot of stuff!

my ideal plan was to really professionally do up new youtube and twitch channel branding for myself—logos, motion graphics, hardware, software, camera, green screen, new chair, etc—and then seamlessly quit right into my new thing, though planning all that while also working this full-time job just wasn't working out.

i was making such slow progress on my personal project that it really felt like cutting the brutal new york subway commute and daily eight-hour office-sit out of my weekdays might help me really drill down and finish some stuff. and i feel like it's gonna work.

so i'm gonna hunker down in my home office and focus on secret stuff (and the final steps of MOON!) for a while. i'll be back at making videos hopefully in time for animal crossing, and definitely for FFVII remake! subscribe to youtube.com/108x (i gotta get a better URL, oops) and follow twitch.tv/actionbutton while i finish setting my whole enterprise up :-O

and i never said there would be a patreon . . . i said maybe there WOULDN'T be a patreon (lol)

Whatever you post, I'm there. Good luck, dude.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I noticed the "elsewhere and someday" in his last video too.

May fortune follow him where he goes. Love his stuff.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017

Had no idea you were working on MOON's translation. I was curious about it but now I'll definitely be picking it up.

Can't wait to see where you take your content in the future, man. Thank you for your great work!