• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the FFVII review will happen now.

Edit:
Just looked at his twitter and it seems FFVII review will happen.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I hope he finds a way of making videos and outputting content still, I really like his recent stuff

Hope the kotaku crew all find their way out of that awful situation and into a stable new one, maybe even one of their own making?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this doesn't mean he's going to die hungry

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
*tim rogers voice*

video games forever

patreon dot com forward slash tim rogers

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I literally spent this last weekend doing nothing but binge watching his videos. I will happily support his content in the future wherever he decides to take it.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
this seems like the meaty context: "this decision was difficult to make because Kotaku Dot Com is my favorite website. however, when some wig-haired motorola-hip-holster-havin Daddy's Man and his pet TJ Maxx Frankenstein murdered my *second*-favorite website, i couldn't let it slide"

aka deadspin debacle seems to have motivated him to reprioritize

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
He followed up that he'll be be starting a Patreon. I'll subscribe as soon as I see the link pop up on my twitter feed.

He also stated the obvious in another follow up tweet - that he's leaving largely due to Jim Spanfeller being an herb.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck. Hope he finds the success he deserves.

It would be quite depressing to lose Kotaku..

Oct 27, 2017
I just started listening to this guy's stuff. As someone recently getting back into jrpgs after like 20 years he's been invaluable!

Between his Dq11, Octopath, and FF6 stuff he's a real hoot.

Damn. I hope he gets back into commentary. His delivery is so relaxing.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Had a feeling he'd be leaving. I love his stuff, I'll have to make sure to follow him elsewhere. He's a big loss for Kotaku.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big loss for Kotaku.

Imagine if Schreier or Totilo also decide to leave.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Tim Rogers and Brian David Gilbert are literally the only two gaming people I watch videos from so... that sucks. Best of luck to him though!

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
this seems like the meaty context: "this decision was difficult to make because Kotaku Dot Com is my favorite website. however, when some wig-haired motorola-hip-holster-havin Daddy's Man and his pet TJ Maxx Frankenstein murdered my *second*-favorite website, i couldn't let it slide"

aka deadspin debacle seems to have motivated him to reprioritize

Apologies behind 800 work proxies but what is going down with Deadspin?

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've always loved his stuff, so I'll follow him wherever he ends up. Best of luck to him!

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is semi related, and I didn't want to start a new thread, but what in ungodly HELL is up with Kotaku's comments? They're one of the biggest gaming sites going, but have zero comments on most articles because they're buried under 200 click bait ads!

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only person I watch anything from that was at kotaku. I'm sure he'll be fine, his videos are really good.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Man, they are jettisoning so much talent from that bundle of sites. It's weird. The owner is just gonna make less money, but he cant stop lighting himself of fire.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I recently cancelled all my Patreons as part of a larger effort to reprioritise my finances but I'll be hecked if Tim doesn't make me change my mind.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damn, really looking forward to whatever else he does in the future. I would love more videos in the same style, but a podcast would be great too, also #TRUCKHECK.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago

Every once in a while he'll drop something like "I need to live some more stories" - see also the end of the Undertale segment in his Game of the Decade video, which got me a little emotional while reflecting on similar feelings about the game - and I just kind of stop for a second and go "yeah, this guy seems pretty alright."

Best of luck, man.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This is semi related, and I didn't want to start a new thread, but what in ungodly HELL is up with Kotaku's comments? They're one of the biggest gaming sites going, but have zero comments on most articles because they're buried under 200 click bait ads!
Their comment system is absolutely atrocious. Super slow to load, often crashes pages, buried under ads, you need to click multiple buttons for every story to see all the comment threads, you can only edit for 15 minutes, media links break half the time...horrific.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking yesterday it seemed like he was ready to go lol. I look forward to whatever he does next!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely sad. I will follow him wherever he goes but I'm still sad I will never listen "I was born stupid, however, I will not die hungry. Videogames forever, Kotaku dot com" again.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Man, he used to tweet about how much he liked working there. Such a shame what this new owner has "accomplished." I hope Tim will be all right out there, and I'll be following whatever he does.

Jim Spanfeller and terrible management.
OP
OP
reconceptualize
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Inserting threadmark here about Jim Spanfeller's predatory practices. Nightmare of an owner, and his approach to media is a death sentence for good work.

G/O Media Workers Call on Owners to Replace CEO

Employees in G/O Media's editorial union urged the company's private-equity owners to replace G/O Chief Executive Jim Spanfeller in a letter Monday, saying a change in leadership was required to improve the performance of the publisher of Jezebel, Gizmodo and Lifehacker.

"We are disappointed that the union has chosen to use tactics that are designed to divide and harm both the company and their co-workers," a spokesman for Great Hill Partners said. "Rather than working together to move forward, the union continues to seek to change the [collective bargaining agreement] that was negotiated just eight months ago in ways, which, if they succeeded, would result in giving them fundamental control of the company."

Some 55.1 million people visited the company's sites in November, a roughly 16% decrease from the same month a year earlier, according to analytics firm Comscore. The letter said more than 95% of employees in the company's editorial union—about 125 people—voted to express a lack of confidence in Mr. Spanfeller's leadership last week.

Last week, Mr. Spanfeller sent a letter to the Writers Guild of America, East—the union that represents G/O Media's editorial employees—saying that he was moving Deadspin's headquarters to Chicago and that he was suspending negotiations with unionized employees. In response, the guild said that Mr. Spanfeller "walked away from discussions around editorial integrity."

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Bittersweet. I've been a fan of his work for years and this latest run with Kotaku was easily the best stuff he's ever done. But I know wherever he ends up next he'll continue to put out amazing content.