• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
The only "problem" with the thumbs up scene and some of Arnold's behavior im the third act is explained in the missing scene.

I feel like this isn't an issue without knowledge of that scene? The movie works perfectly fine as is and I think actually strengths the bond between Jon and the Terminator knowing it didn't mostly just come down to flipping an empathy Switch

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this isn't an issue without knowledge of that scene? The movie works perfectly fine as is and I think actually strengths the bond between Jon and the Terminator knowing it didn't mostly just come down to flipping an empathy Switch

Well it's a learning switch which is a significant difference, but I agree it's not a big problem and we assume the terminator can learn anyway

The deleted scene is where it says he can't. I think.

Jan 3, 2018
I like it. The scene definitely would have lacked something if it was just the T-800 descending into the molten steel.

Nov 8, 2017
Things like the thumbs up, and the T800's Spanish catchphrases kill the tone of the movie. Scenes like those and the, "why do you cry" nonsense are why preferring the first movie is such a no brainer for me.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's a pretty iconic moment and probably more iconic than any moment in any subsequent Terminator movie. I always thought it was pretty great!

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Things like the thumbs up, and the T800's Spanish catchphrases kill the tone of the movie. Scenes like those and the, "why do you cry" nonsense are why preferring the first movie is such a no brainer for me.

The first movie is so lean and the tone is perfection. Just rewatched both and it's a far better film than T2.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
In the 2010s he would have dabbed
source.gif

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
"I need a vacation" which was so out of place as a line from the Terminator was much more jarring for me than the thumbs up. The latter is fine, the vacation line was just weird.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thumbs-up is perfectly fine.

Bad to the Bone playing is goofy and should have never made it in the final movie.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He just wanted to cheer up John, he even literally said that he knew why John was crying.

It made perfect sense.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I very much agree. So glad that scene didn't make it into a movie.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like how the thread title just conveniently leaves out how Linda Hamilton feels about the thumbs up. Makes it easier to build a narrative against Tim Miller.

Oct 27, 2017
The thumbs-up is perfectly fine.

Bad to the Bone playing is goofy and should have never made it in the final movie.

Bad to the Bone is why there's clearly no truth in the oft-repeated claim that the orientation of the two Terminators was supposed to be a mystery until the mall shoot-out, and was spoiled by an overzealous marketing department. Cameron either never intended for it to be ambiguous, or he dropped the idea long before the film went out, hence the inclusion of said song.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Martin Scorsese talking about Marvel.

Me: "Sure are a lot people who can't take critism about their favorite franchise"

Also Me, this comment:
49b.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
The first movie is so lean and the tone is perfection. Just rewatched both and it's a far better film than T2.

No question. It's one of the greatest movies of all time, and almost certainly the best action / horror hybrid. There's no an ounce of fat on it, whereas you could probably chop a good 15 minutes from T2 and be left with a better film, although that's arguably an issue with everything James Cameron has directed post-1984.

I even prefer the more melancholy synth of the main theme.

Last edited: