• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Credit card debt is not objectively bad. Not saving money isn't objectively bad. You know what objective means, right?
Since we're playing full-on pedantry games, did I ever claim at any point that debt was objectively bad? I provided objective statistical measurements of patterns of debt and savings in the US. I make no claims otherwise. Other inferences and insinuations are wholly on the part of the reader.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since we're playing full-on pedantry games, did I ever claim at any point that debt was objectively bad? I provided objective statistical measurements of patterns of debt and savings in the US. I make no claims otherwise. Other inferences and insinuations are wholly on the part of the reader.

If you think, then, that debt isn't objectively bad and financial decisions made regarding maintaining debt and/or having savings cannot be objectively correct or incorrect, we agree. Havinf credit card debt and a $1000 phone is not objectively financially irresponsible. Others are arguing it is. They're wrong.

It's really not that simple

But it is.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're using the literal definition of "afford" rather than the colloquial definition many others are using. You take a position of being objectively right because you're using the literal definition.

Under your definition of "afford", as far as I can see it, a homeless person who's capable of scraping up a loan can "afford" a $1000 phone. Did I misread you here?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can I point you to the first post of StudioTan claiming I contradicted myself when he defined "afford" by adding additional requirements of "not in debt"? Or do you just want to post links you don't understand, as per usual?
An easy way to look at it is being able to afford something means having enough money to spare, not just happening to have that much money to your name.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): History of hostility and antagonizing other members
You're using the literal definition of "afford" rather than the colloquial definition many others are using. You take a position of being objectively right because you're using the literal definition.

Under your definition of "afford", as far as I can see it, a homeless person who's capable of scraping up a loan can afford a $1000 phone. Am I inaccurate here?

If they have the cash to make payments, they literally can afford the loan.

You're really not following along. I used a word. I was then told it didn't mean what I intended it to mean, which happens to be the literal definition. I was told I was contradicting myself because I used a word another person defined differently from how it is literally defined and how I used it. Arguing I'm the one in the wrong here is ludicrous.

An easy way to look at it is being able to afford something means having enough money to spare, not just happening to have that much money to your name.

But that's not the dictionary definition of the word or how I used it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're really not following along. I used a word. I was then told it didn't mean what I intended it to mean, which happens to be the literal definition. I was told I was contradicting myself because I used a word another person defined differently from how it is literally defined and how I used it. Arguing I'm the one in the wrong here is ludicrous.
And thus we come to the link.
Linguistic prescription, or prescriptive grammar, is the attempt to lay down rules defining preferred or "correct" use of language.[1][2] These rules may address such linguistic aspects as spelling, pronunciation, vocabulary, syntax, and semantics. Sometimes informed by linguistic purism,[3] such normative practices may suggest that some usages are incorrect, illogical, lack communicative effect, or are of low aesthetic value.[4] They may also include judgments on socially proper and politically correct language use.

Prescriptive approaches to language are often contrasted with the descriptive approach ("descriptivism"), employed in academic linguistics, which observes and records how language is actually used.[6] The basis of linguistic research is text (corpus) analysis and field study, both of which are descriptive activities. Description, however, may include researchers' observations of their own language usage.
In my long time on the internet I find linguistic prescriptionists to be that domain of people for whom the most important thing is to be the smartest and most "correct" person in a discussion. Successful communication and interchange of ideas, if it's desired at all, is usually a secondary concern.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And thus we come to the link.

In my long time on the internet I find linguistic prescriptionists to be that domain of people for whom the most important thing is to be the smartest and most "correct" person in a discussion. Successful communication and interchange of ideas, if it's desired at all, is usually a secondary concern.

I used the word and then the other poster tried to define it for me. Please try to pay attention to what I''m saying.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Discussing anything with KHarvey is an exercise in frustration and is a pointless and fruitless effort. He's a contrarian that will argue to the death that water is dry just because you claimed water to be wet.
I've learned my lesson. Guy is just an irritating pedant who thinks it's fun to talk down to people.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I hope Nvidia is next.

Nvidia already had its share price by halves from october 2018 to december 2018 when they announced during the last quarter earning calls that over-excess inventory from the crypto phase and less than expected sales for the latest GPU will means they guidance will be lower than analysts expected. Stocks took a large tumble since and don't it will recover for quite some time....not with the volatile macro-economics situation and this current apple news (AMD didn't escape it as well if you are 'celebrating' from the Red camp, their share price were down 45+% since october 2018 which means they are in the same ballpack in terms of market confidence).

I am saying this as a Nvidia investors and the last quarter was particularly painful..LOL (X_X)

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
But that's not the dictionary definition of the word or how I used it.

Afford: be able to do something without risk of adverse consequences.

When most people say they can afford something they mean spend the money without having it negatively affect them by subsequently not having that money available for something else. Of course you know that, you're just being pedantic because you have no better argument.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Yup. I was at Sprint looking at potential upgrades for my phone over Christmas break and I looked at the new iPhone. I have a 6S and they're like "but there's TWO cameras on the front now!"

Why the fuck would I care about that? Why would I want to pay almost a thousand dollars for that?
I recently got an 8 and avoided the 8s when they told me the only difference was the better camera. I couldn't care less about the camera.

I only upgraded because I too was on my 6s. I don't know if it was just me but it got to a point where I had no storage space for anything. I'd delete photos, music and apps and I'd still get a notification that I have no space. Think I had 16gb and the updates alone were 14-15 gbs.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Afford: be able to do something without risk of adverse consequences.

That's not the literal defintion nor is it the definition I had in mind when I used the word.

When most people say they can afford something they mean spend the money without having it negatively affect them by subsequently not having that money available for something else. Of course you know that, you're just being pedantic because you have no better argument.

Any money you use is money you don't have available for something else.

Don't start an argument over a perceived contradiction because of a word and then accuse me of pedantry. You suck at this.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
So they get caught slowing down phones, and then offer a relatively cheap program to fix the issue. This prevents people from replacing their phones so they get lower sales? I don't buy this bullshit. First of all, most people I know especially none techies don't even know about the program. Second of all, I know for a fact that MANY people I know didn't upgrade after looking at the prices of the new iPhones. Even the most die hard Apple fans that I know recognize that the prices is just ridiculous. in China, I doubt most people could afford to get a $600 phone let alone a thousand dollars.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Return of the suicide battery, coming next year. Maybe they'll find a firmware implementation for older models too!

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Afford literally means having enough money to pay for. If I go to the store and pay cash I can afford whatever is less than or equal to the amount of cash in my pocket.

This isn't complicated and you stretching to play a stupid gotcha game is failing, so you should stop.
That might be it's literal meaning, but I always took it as being able to pay for something without putting me a tough financial position. Let's say that I had $60k in my bank account right now. I am shopping for a car, and then I found a nice car for that much that I liked. I could definitely write a $60k check and get the car. Does that mean I can afford it? No. At least not without impacting how much money I could spend on essential things to survive. With that kind of money, I could afford a $20k-$30k car without any issues. Buying a $30k car in my situation will not have any major negative consequences. Now, I am over simplifying since I would never drop that much cash on car since financing is much more practical since the cash could be invested on much more important things. But I hope you get the idea.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That might be it's literal meaning, but I always took it as being able to pay for something without putting me a tough financial position. Let's say that I had $60k in my bank account right now. I am shopping for a car, and then I found a nice car for that much that I liked. I could definitely write a $60k check and get the car. Does that mean I can afford it? No. At least not without impacting how much money I could spend on essential things to survive. With that kind of money, I could afford a $20k-$30k car without any issues. Buying a $30k car in my situation will not have any major negative consequences. Now, I am over simplifying since I would never drop that much cash on car since financing is much more practical since the cash could be invested on much more important things. But I hope you get the idea.

If you have $60k available you can literally afford to pay 60,000 individual US dollars to another person or entity in exchange for something. That is the way it was meant in the sentence that I wrote. In the context of the point I was making it's clear that is how I meant it, and this entire tangent has been exclusively an effort to prove I contradicted myself in the span of one sentence. It's a really pathetic attempt by one poster to score gotcha points because they can't bear the thought of not being able to judge others as idiots because of the financial decisions they make.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Lol what the hell is going on here. Oh. That poster. In a Apple thread.

Anyway, I just hope Apple doesn't get even more dick-ish when it comes to 3rd party iphone repairs. I fear what it would cost if I had to replace the oled on mine.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I think smart phones are at the end of major innovation. I just got a s8+ and outside of some AR shit and better screen/camera resolution it really isn't much difference than my galaxy s6+. Now waiting for future Magic Leap, apple glasses and Holens at this point

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all one person arguing with everyone. This is genuinely the first time I've ever considered blocking someone on a forum.

This last discussion was me responding to someone who claimed I contradicted myself because of what they thought a word should mean.

I didn't start it and I wasn't the one being pedantic.

If blocking me means you won't constantly comment on things without participating directly, please do so.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This last discussion was me responding to someone who claimed I contradicted myself because of what they thought a word should mean.

If blocking me means you won't constantly comment on things without participating, please do so.
Oh you mean your google.com definition where the bullet points under definition #1 (the definition you cited) specifically included the alternate uses he was referring to?

af·ford
/əˈfôrd/
verb
  1. have enough money to pay for.
    "the best that I could afford was a first-floor room"
    synonyms:pay for, bear the expense of, have the money for, spare the price of
    "I can't afford a new car"
    • have (a certain amount of something, especially money or time) available or to spare.
      "it was taking up more time than he could afford"
    • be able to do something without risk of adverse consequences.
      "kings could afford to be wrathful"
You were being pedantic AND disingenuous.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh you mean your google.com definition where the bullet points under definition #1 (the definition you cited) specifically included the alternate uses he was referring to?

You were being pedantic AND disingenuous.

I used the #1 definition, like the other poster did in the post I responded to. Why do you insist on failing at this so completely and often?

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this decline will push Apple to produce more competitively priced devices in the future.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
The meaning of the word meaning, duh.

I read the back and forth arguments only partially, seems like really an unimportant thing to feel that heated about.

Anyways, Apple is probably the biggest offender in preventing the efforts of giving the customers their right-to-repair rights, so it's good that they feel the heat on this. Seriously, fuck them for trying to trample customer's rights to fix their own devices and kill the self-repair industry so badly.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn't have upgraded if not for the XS Max. The X (and the XS) didn't offer large enough displays. I might have gone back to Android if the XS Max didn't exist.

I want this phone to last a couple of years though, like the iPhone 7 that I upgraded from.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If blocking me means you won't constantly comment on things without participating directly, please do so.

If people misunderstand what you meant, then use a different word or phrasing and be done with it.

English is a very versatile language, there's no need to play the semantics game when simple alternatives will do.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If people misunderstand what you meant, then use a different word or phrasing and be done with it.

English is a very versatile language, there's no need to play the semantics game when simple alternatives will do.

I said exactly what I meant in the first response to the person who claimed I contradicted myself. Did you bother to read any of it?

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
No surprise, the notion of trying to keep the bottom-line as consistently inflated as possible for the sake of short-term shareholder appeasement is an unsustainable business model. Hope Apple will adjust their objectives into a balance of being an employee/consumer/environmental-friendly in the future.