• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic, considering Bolsonaro hates gay people.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I really really doubt Cook enjoyed his company considering Bolsonaro is a outspoking homophobic.

"I'd rather have my son die in a car accident than have him show up dating some guy.
"Brazilian society doesn't like homosexuals."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...lo-jair-bolsonaro-victory-lgbt-community-fear

During the campaign, Bolsonaro said that he stood by his claim that he would punch gay people if he saw them kissing in public. Standing by the comments, the candidate compared gay kisses to "a paedophile's right to have sex with a 2-year-old."

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/01/01/brazil-jair-bolsonaro-homophobic/

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean... it's Davos.

Cook is just sitting at a table with Bolsanaro. Like, lots of people go to Davos.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Its Davos, what do you expect. You will have some people you like sitting right next to people you hate, that´s what happens at a summit like this.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I am sure right now they are impressed at how dumb our president is. You can't sit next to him on a table and not notice it after 30 seconds.

I am sure the was licking their balls all the time, to the point that they felt uncomfortable.

Oct 27, 2017
They're not on a date. And they're both engaged in separate conversations. And the article behind this doesn't match the title or the OP, but at least the OP has the article.

Did you know Tim Cook played the trombone?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Updated Thread Title. Just adding a bit more context as to what's going on.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody had a gun to his head to sit with a fascist.

He's sitting at a table.

I think it's a pretty extreme reading to say he's "having dinner with Bolsonaro" we don't know if seating was pre-assigned or who showed up first or anything.

It's pretty safe to say that Tim Cook isn't toasting Bolsonaro's fascism dude.

The more interesting interaction here is that Cook was seen talking with Pashinyan, why worry about seating arrangements?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think there's a bit of over-reaction here. It's a economic forum where lots of huge companies go to and they happen to have been seated with Bolsonaro. I think the thread titles a bit sensationalist in reality.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"Has dinner with Bolsonaro". Talk about stretching the truth, they aren't even engaging in conversation with him in that picture.

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think it's disingenuous to infer "Well what could they do, they had no choice, there was a SEATING CHART after all!" like it's some almighty declaration. Would you break bread next to a fascist because someone told you to?
Tim Cook is kicked out of the #resistance
Peak Marrec.

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
Would you have expected them to get up and walk away when they figured they were gonna sit next to Bolsonaro?

I'm gay. If I was seated at the same table as a prominent figure who compared same-sex displays of affection to having sex with a 2-year old, then yes, yes I would get up from the table and walk away. I cannot stress enough that I am not the CEO of a trillion-dollar company, however, and as the absolute face of capitalism, I'd imagine that $$$ was top of mind in the particular engagement.

Oct 25, 2017
CEO of public companies don't really have the luxury of publicly dissing foreign heads of state. I mean maybe a dictator but not one who was freely elected.

Yeah I mean, there's certainly a decent amount of Apple employees in Brazil, if he says "F this guy" and walks away that could legitimately make their lives harder. Is that really the better way to go here?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's disingenuous to infer "Well what could they do, they had no choice, there was a SEATING CHART after all!" like it's some almighty declaration. Would you break bread next to a fascist because someone told you to?

I wouldn't make a scene no, something like that could start a diplomatic incident that you're unprepared or unqualified to deal with. Holding Cook accountable for a seating chart at Davos is completely unfair.

This isn't even my final form

OP
OP
RedMercury

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I bet Tim Cook personally made the seating arrangements in order to send a message to the non captio-fascists out there who his real friends are
Stop trolling.
I wouldn't make a scene no, something like that could start a diplomatic incident that you're unprepared or unqualified to deal with. Holding Cook accountable for a seating chart at Davos is completely unfair.
He's not accountable for the seating chart, he is accountable for choosing to follow it though. He made that decision, whatever qualifiers you want to throw on it, whatever interests he was serving or excuses you can make for him doesn't change that. He's a grown man, you're basically saying he's "just following orders" or some shit.
Its Davos, they cannot decide who to sit next to.
So he was physically forced to sit there under duress? Do you have evidence to back that up?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
What does your logic -stripped from any company preference- tells you?
Do you think they draw sticks?
Uh well considering I have no idea who anyone else at the table is its hard for me to draw conclusions. It's probably safe to say there was some sort of connection of tech CEO's. Maybe there are other south american politicians at the table?? I have absolutely no idea.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Huge reach. I dislike Apple more than anyone and this is something you can't fault them for.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You first.

He's not accountable for the seating chart, he is accountable for choosing to follow it though. He made that decision, whatever qualifiers you want to throw on it, whatever interests he was serving or excuses you can make for him doesn't change that. He's a grown man, you're basically saying he's "just following orders" or some shit.

High profile CEOs at a public forum have bigger shit to worry about than who is sitting at their table, I'm sorry to burst your bubble. They have different behavioral standards than "random who posts on ERA". You could easily leave the table as a statement and literally no one would give a shit because you aren't Tim Cook CEO of Apple. Tim Cook leaves that table and American interests in the region are at risk.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Uh well considering I have no idea who anyone else at the table is its hard for me to draw conclusions. It's probably safe to say there was some sort of connection of tech CEO's. Maybe there are other south american politicians at the table?? I have absolutely no idea.

Why do you think they meet there?
To eat fish and exchange pleasantries?
"Lets go eat some food along with a random leader, maybe a fascist one"?

For God's sake people.