• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
How? I'm surprised you never had to if your system ran into issues. Had that happen once or twice with my pro.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
i guess thats the benefit of being a natural curious person. I usually figure such stuff out quickly by trying things.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018

1z3s3M.gif

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
The default function of the power button is to put console into Rest Mode. Long press shuts the console off.

traB-pU-kciP

Mar 30, 2019
Italy
you can also turn off the console when/if the system hangs / doesn't respond to any input by keep pressed the power button for 15 seconds like the PS3. It's meant to avoid the unplug of the power cord.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay. I haven't bothered since if I'm by the power button, I can use the screen. I'm not sure if there's ever been a console you can't turn off that way then.

If you were asking for the last console that wasn't press for sleep/standby, hold for shutdown, the answer would be Wii U. Its standby was a little atypical in that it was a periodic state (default was one hour) instead of a constant one, and would kick in even after a force shutdown IIRC. The only way to prevent standby was to disable it entirely.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question... How do you turn off your mobile phone (granted, you won't need to do that to often). Do you run Aida64 to drain the battery or something?

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, the power button controls the power. Crazy, right?

(having to hold it for 7 seconds sounds like an eternity though)

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
If I could only figure out which one was the power button. Always hitting eject...

This would be helpful if I could ever figure out which one is the power button and which one is the disk eject.

If you have an OG PS4, this was easy to remember once I learned this memory aid - Eject is the bottom one, it is a silly design that causes the disc to hit your fingers when ejected since you are having to reach across the slot! Therefore power is the top.

A Pro or Slim, you're on your own sorry :D

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Tbh, i have a ps4 fat, and if you ask me which one of the 2 buttons is the switching on/off, or disk one, i couldnt say you which is one and the other.
Who even uses that buttons anymore

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What sucks is not being able to do this from rest mode, since it'll give a "your PS4 wasn't turned off properly" message next time.

I think you can shut it off from rest mode fine as long as you don't have the suspend app box checked. At least that's how it's been for me, it used to work before the suspend app update and since then I get the same message as you. But it's too convenient to uncheck.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Don't feel bad OP. For about a year and a half I didn't know where the power button was on my PS4 Pro. A friend pointed it out to me when I was trying to find it on the console one day.

I think I've maybe used the buttons twice for when I couldn't find my controller.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I just unplugged it

Edit: just to be clear: I unplugged my PS2, not the PS4
Not knowing goes back several generations.
It has become pretty standard on most recent consoles. Not sure about Xbox consoles. Wii, Wii U, PS4 all have standby modes, that you can turn off by holding the button longer.

what in god's name am i reading

EDIT: there's even a power switch on the back of the console, jesus christ man use THAT instead
Not on the slim PS2.