• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
How do they know if you have been possessed by a demon?
Do you have to look like this?

Vb5sbN0.jpeg

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder now if other religions have a concept similar to that of possession and exorcism as in Christianity, and more specifically Roman Catholicism.

Most do. Demons and possession are hardly a Christian monopoly. Jews have the dybbuk for example. You can see an example of a Korean exorcism in the film The Wailing.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's still a pretty large percentage of the world population that believes in this sort of thing, so I'm not really sure why it would be surprising.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Complaining about work conditions is a tactic to justify the validity of the work. It's utter nonsense, but talking like it's real makes it real to their gullible followers. A con, fraud, or just lies. The Catholic church is extremely good at it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they have a whole-ass process where you have to hard confirm "possession" or they're just gonna tell you to seek actual mental help?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes thank goodness for modern psychology so we can now know if someone is really infested with a demon.

The hometown Catholic church I went to as a kid has an exorcist working there. These people are out of their minds:

This parts cracks me up on how they know if someone isn't faking it:
jdqnrh8.png

Now they know the cheat codes to get a free exorcism. 😄

What the hell is extreme knowledge?

"Yo this guy is smart as fuck. Must be demons."

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
One of the craziest courses I took in college focused a lot on modern day exorcism in the Catholic church. I'm disassociated from the Catholic Church these days, but at least in the mid-2000s, the Church really wanted to avoid the association with exorcism but it was still a technical part of the theology, and most/all diocese had a priest whose duties included being the diocean exorcist, even if he never participates in one. In the process, they also heavily refer potential victims of possession to psychological services, and usually don't even consider one unless -- according to the host or some other loved one -- all other avenues ... psychological treatment, medical treatment, etc, have been exhausted. This is somethign that the movie, The Exorcist, actually does pretty well. The first 30+ minutes are of Reagan getting all sorts of medical treatment from well-to-do doctors and the medical establishment. And finally like ... they're all out of ideas, oh, it's a demon who is targeting the priest all along.

What the hell is extreme knowledge?

"Yo this guy is smart as fuck. Must be demons."

Knowledge of things that somebody should just not have that sort of knowledge of.

There's this book I read when I was really into this stuff, Hostage to the Devil, which is sensationalistic anecdotes of actual exorcism processes, written by an ex-Catholic priest who dropped out of the Catholic Church because he thought the church was too liberal, and so take what he wrote as fiction or whatever, but one of the anecdotes of transcripts from an exorcism was a young person who knew intimate details of an elderly priest's life from when the priest grew up in Ireland many decades earlier. As an atheist skeptic I don't believe in any of it, but think of it the same way of aliens or ghost stories, and at least from the perspective of the book, that's "extreme knowledge."

I don't believe in god, or many of the beliefs that follow from that, but I also think the brain and perhaps all of our brains together, are weird complex organs that exhibit phenomenon that we've never been able to explain with contemporary understanding of the brain.

Last edited:

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
To this day nobody has actual footage of a "possessed" person doing magic or flinging shit around like Eleven does in Stranger Things. I wonder why. The internet has really helped us uncover lots of bullshit.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder now if other religions have a concept similar to that of possession and exorcism as in Christianity, and more specifically Roman Catholicism.

Most do, absolutely. But the Catholic Church has like ~1600 years of philosophy/theology around demonology/angelology, and then the thousands years prior inherited from other religions, and a lot of it isn't that different from intro to metaphysics. Academic theology/philosophy publications that, at least internally, try to take this seriously:

www.pdcnet.org

Augustine and Aquinas on Demonic Possession: Theoria and Praxis - Volume 90, 2016

Augustine asserted that demons (and angels) have material bodies, while Aquinas denied demonic corporeality, upholding that demons are separated, incorporeal, intelligible substances. Augustine’s conception of demons as composite substances possessing an immaterial soul and an aerial body is...

OP
OP
mbpm

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Knowledge of things that somebody should just not have that sort of knowledge of.

There's this book I read when I was really into this stuff, Hostage to the Devil, which is sensationalistic anecdotes of actual exorcism processes, written by an ex-Catholic priest who dropped out of the Catholic Church because he thought the church was too liberal, and so take what he wrote as fiction or whatever, but one of the anecdotes of transcripts from an exorcism was a young person who knew intimate details of an elderly priest's life from when the priest grew up in Ireland many decades earlier. As an atheist skeptic I don't believe in any of it, but think of it the same way of aliens or ghost stories, and at least from the perspective of the book, that's "extreme knowledge."
Yeah I assumed this was a part of things from the movie. Impossible things to know. Of course just like modern psychics, presumably someone could use the help of the internet/global information indexing to help fake sone things

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I assumed this was a part of things from the movie. Impossible things to know. Of course just like modern psychics, presumably someone could use the help of the internet/global information indexing to help fake sone things

Yeah, a difference between psychics, conmen, etc, is that typically people who might be candidates for an exorcism are not trying to sell someone to be exorcised, and the church (at least North American and European Roman Catholic church) typically wants to completely avoid exorcisms... It's expensive, embarrassing for the church, super risky legally/insurance-wise, and in the handful of documented modern cases in industrialized countries, usually traumatic for the exorcist (priest) and the person undergoing the rite. That's also one of the few things that I think the Exorcist 2 and future ones (and fucking poor Linda Blair) also got right... like, exorcisms fuck up the exorcist and the victim, and the sequels to the exorcist that have Regan in them did a good job with that IIRC. I kinda forget the plot to the sequels, where I've seen the original a million times and it's one of my favorite movies.

It's not like the local priest sees a kid run off a random fact from wikipedia and then refers him to an exorcism.

At least not in the American RCC... I think it's different in Latin America, Africa, and SE Asia, where individual dioceses might be more Pentecostal / charismatic than what you have in North America.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Can I get a job evaluating people for 'Potential' possession? Seems like a pretty sweet gig.

Show up, say "No, they are not possessed", get paid, go home.

Or if I'm not honorable, flip a coin each time.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I knew an exorcist who worked for a diocese. In 20 years as an exorcist he never performed an exorcism but did convince hundreds of people to seek psychiatric help. If someone thinks they're actually possessed by a demon, sometimes a priest is the only person they'll listen to so that person can actually get the help they need from medical professionals.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't believe in god, or many of the beliefs that follow from that, but I also think the brain and perhaps all of our brains together, are weird complex organs that exhibit phenomenon
So mentalism pretty much