• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 11, 2017
I played some games on PC at like 2 FPS when I was a kid. When you save up and buy that game no low FPS will stop you from enjoying it.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I could never even tell and still can't really. Then again I'm one of those who can't tell the difference between 30 and 60.
The difference is massive for a lot of games and certain games and genres can really only be in 60fps like fighting games. I also can't imagine playing 30fps on PC games with keyboard and mouse, 60fps is always ideal. It's a good thing many new games on the new consoles are offering 60fps options for a reason.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I remember reading a post from a guy who said as a kid, he thought framerate drops were the game intentionally slowing down to give you more time to react, and although I never consciously saw it that way, I think that's how I interpreted it as well as a kid, I was never like, "Ugh, the game is chugging again, the N64 really needs a Pro model," I just thought it was normal.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Yeah, many great N64 games ran like crap, that's why I never could care about frame rates, as long as they are stable enough.

Games like Smash could slow the hell down when there were many explosions going at once.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I noticed a lot of N64 games had terrible performance when I was a kid. Shadows of the Empire, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, Ocarina, Majora's, Perfect Dark, etc... I originally wanted a N64 to go along with my PS1, but some of those games I listed made me physically ill (partially due to framerate, partially due to the N64 smear) so I ended up not getting one until many years later. I didn't play/beat OoT until like 2008 and it was on an emulator.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
I remember as a kid that when the game practically froze whenever something exploded I thought it was cinematic and intentional. I legitimately thought dropped frames were cool lol

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
N64 was a nightmare when it comes to performance and the PAL N64 was even worse. Unlike the SNES it didn't even have the advantage of RGB output. So the PAL version was complete shit. This was still the era when Nintendo was treating the PAL territories as afterthoughts.

My older brother imported NTSC games and got a hold of the NTSC console in 1998, and I never hooked up the PAL system again.

Even when the games ran at their intended speed, it was still unpleasant.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Why did the European version run even worse? Was there a difference in hardware or code?
2560px-pal-ntsc-secamioj6b.png

Televisions in PAL/SECAM regions ran at 50Hz, while televisions in NTSC regions refreshed at 60Hz (technically, 60/1.001).
PAL/SECAM televisions had 576 lines of resolution, while NTSC televisions had 480 lines.

This meant that games which were not PAL-optimized (the majority) ran ~17% slower.
It also meant that many games had a squashed "letterboxed" appearance where the extra lines were blank but still scaled to fit a 4:3 screen.
Now games could be PAL-optimized and use the full 576 lines while also running at full speed, but it was quite rare.
This is why importing games/consoles was far more common back then.

PAL60 started to be used with the Dreamcast. Nearly every game supported that, and it was a revelation for many; but it didn't work with all televisions, and you had to use an RGB connection.
I think it was supported by some PS2 games, but not many, most GameCube games, and I believe most Xbox games as well(?).
Those problems largely disappeared with the HD era of consoles.

I don't remember if it was on here or somewhere else, but I remember reading a post from a guy who said as a kid, he thought framerate drops were the game intentionally slowing down to give you more time to react, and although I never consciously saw it that way, I think that's how I interpreted it as well as a kid, I was never like, "Ugh, the game is chugging again, the N64 really needs a Pro model," I just thought it was normal.
  • Old games slowed down as the frame rate dipped.
  • New games drop frames, but continue running at full speed (mostly).
It's not the same.
Game speed being disconnected from frame rate is a good thing though, as it's what makes high frame rate gaming possible now; but it's also one of the reasons why lower frame rates are far less tolerated today.

Last edited:

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
This thread is the basis for why I don't really care about the 60fps banter (or 120fps). I've played countless great games that ran like "dog shit" according to some here.
Back then we didnt know what a good framerate was, almost every early 3D game played like dogshit and it was fine because we didnt know better. Now the standars has change and we should at least ask for playable framerates in modern consoles

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
People talked more about slowdown than about framerates back then on console. But a lot of PSX games actually ran at good framerates. I still didn't really pay attention to it on the N64. Zelda 64 just felt like Zelda 64.

LDigital

Oct 27, 2020
Starfox 64 seems smooth as butter to this day so good fps were definitely possible, but that was essentially a corridor shooter

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
I do remember noticing that Ocarina of Time was "choppier" than other games like Super Mario 64, but the graphics were so impressive so I figured it was for a good reason. Can't say it bothered me much, especially after a few minutes of play, and I imagine this was true for most people.
I think it helps that the frame rate was at least evenly low. If things ever started to chug the game would just slow down, which may or may not be noticeable. Something like Turok was a whole different story, that game would just turn into a slideshow as soon as anything happened on screen.

I'm European by the way, so 15 fps team go.
Speaking of, the PAL version of Majora's Mask actually had interesting glitch. If you ever tried the crooked cartridge thing you could actually get the game to briefly switch over to 60hz, but sadly it would always lock up shortly afterwards so it wasn't really playable in this mode. To my knowledge there were no N64 games that allowed you to switch between 50 and 60hz so it could have been pretty wild.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It never bothered me because the game slowed down when the framerate did. Even 10 year old me just thought "oh, the game is lagging." I've never been one to get hung up on FPS though.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Didn't most N64 games run at 20fps? The worst part is most of those games have so many game mechanics tied to the framerate as well, so even running them on an emulator, you have to deal with the low framerate.

What? So running at 60fps makes up for all the other negative changes they made to the game?

This absolutely isn't nitpicking "the tiniest insignificant details":
  • Deku Link is slow as hell for no reason, meaning a lot of the lily pad jumps are incredibly difficult to hop between.
  • Zora Link used to have just about the absolute best swimming in a video game, and they completely nerfed it for no reason.
  • They ruined all the boss fights.
  • They ruined the Captain Keeta race.
  • They ruined the Deku Palace.
  • They ruined the bombers.
  • They ruined the ice arrows.
  • They made one of the fairies in Snowhead Temple basically impossible to acquire.
  • They didn't improve one of the worst parts of the original, that being placing clones during the Stone Tower Temple portion.
So much care was put into Ocarina of Time 3DS, meanwhile, Aonuma never understood why people liked Majora's Mask, so they made a remake without understanding why anybody liked the original, ruining aspects of the original that people liked.

this post is so unintentionally funny lol

Didn't Ocarina have an average of 15 or 16fps as well?
wait for OPs next thread

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Still better than 99.999%* of all games all-time
*Source: me.
*Statistically correct, proven by: me.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Never noticed the abysmal N64 frame rates at the time, and it wasn't bad enough to stop the great games like Majora's Mask from being enjoyable.

It would be damn hard for me to go back now that I'm much older and knowledgeable.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Playing split screen perfect dark with max simulants running around was the true n64 chug experience.
The performance would get worse the longer you played AND fist sim would punch you into a groggy screen stupor.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
That discourse has always been there, especially on PC. But the DF performance-centric approach is honestly one of the most boring talking-points that people hinge their opinions on. Like I would way rather my games run well than not. I get the appeal of their videos and like to know where or why something might start chugging. But the way some people react, it's like critique begins and ends there.

People treat games that don't run at a perfect frame rate like a product that's fundamentally broken rather than a work of art where the developers made concessions in performance to prioritize other aspects. If it doesn't run flawlessly people act like the developers are ripping off consumers.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna give it (Majoras not ocarina) another go, if its worth it as so many of you guys say.
Here's how I see it.

Majora diehards like myself resent the changes made in Majora 3DS because we feel it alters several core aspects of the game to their detriment in ways like the artstyle being much brighter and over-detailed, changes to how sidequests are meted out, Zora swimming being gutted so that you have to expend magic to go fast, and bosses being remade and mostly to their detriment (they're more complex now and Majora 64's bosses were baby easy, but at least they functioned properly).

There are some mechanical downgrades but I think the artstyle complain is the bigger one, but part of why it's so big is that Majora's Mask is a game deeply focused on emotional storytelling than the usual Zelda adventure. It's a game more about helping the people around you than fighting big monsters, and so the emotiaonal resonance of the player matters a lot more than the technical aspects, and we feel that was lost in the transition to 3DS.

Which is to say that you could play the 3DS version and have a good time, because you don't have that original game to compare to. It wouldn't be your Majora's Mask, the new one would be.

If you do go back to the 3DS version there are some hacks for the game playable on Citra that make it a much better playing experience.

Thats funny, no owl statues for saving. I assume I'll get saving when I've gone back in time for the first time then?
That's correct. Owl Statues are for warping around and once you've got your sword back you can use them to suspend your current save.

That actually wasn't in the original Japanese version of the game. You could only stop playing by playing the Song of Time.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if those who grew up on the N64 are on the whole less concerned with framerate than those before or after.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
I think I'd definitely pick the 3DS version whenever I want to play it. Saying that, I've played the N64 (well GC) version past the first dungeon and it's definitely something you can get used to. To the extent I think I'll try and finish it.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I never once thought of frame rates growing up playing any game whatsoever, Majora's
Mask included. The games were fun and great to play and that's all that mattered.