• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
OP
OP
BobbeMalle

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Never saw this before. Holy shit, that was not just a slip of the tongue or anything (not that such a thing would be acceptable anyway).

That was full on racist Klan shit.

You haven't see all of It. He even apologized on live TV during Letterman i think, with Jerry in the studio.
It sounded so fake and It was really weird.
There's the video on youtube

Edit:

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You haven't see all of It. He even apologized on live TV during Letterman i think, with Jerry in the studio.
It sounded so fake and It was really weird.
There's the video on youtube
didn't sound too fake.
problem were the morons in the audience, that thought it was a bit and couldn't stop laughing till Jerry told them to.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
didn't sound too fake.
problem were the morons in the audience, that thought it was a bit and couldn't stop laughing till Jerry told them to.
He also appears on Comedian in Cars Getting Coffee. Jerry asks him some good questions. He seems extremely remorseful, sad, and downright broken towards the end. Honestly, I feel like he's been through enough after all these years. I recommend watching that episode and you decide for yourselves. It doesn't excuse what he did, just thought it'd be an interesting watch over a decade later.

Edit* Fixed the link

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you got enough in common beyond sex with twenty years apart to sustain a relationship, one of you is a fucking stagnant moron and it's the elder of the two.

Jerry Seinfeld is not a moron, he just liked fucking a really young woman. That was it.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that was super sketch and gross. Like Luc Besson marrying a 15 year old after he got her pregnant in France type gross. Seinfeld ended up marrying someone closer to his own age at least. The only time huge age gaps like that are okay are if the younger person is well into adulthood, like a 30 or 40 year old marrying a 60 something is fine. Going for teenagers should be off limits if you're over age 30.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I must have been reading sanitized gossip back then, because I thought that they'd met (in Central Park, I think) and he asked her out (and might have gone on one date), but found out she was 17 and then waited until she was 18 before they really dated.

Didn't he go on to steal someone's fiance after that too?
I think he met his wife when she was on her honeymoon. Makes that relationship game show he created seem like a bad idea in retrospect.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I was in junior high at the time, Seinfeld had just become a phenomenon and while it "got people talking" here and there it was mostly brushed off as "Oh, that quirky, immature Jerry doin' his thing" and the entertainment press just winked at it or flat out broadly defended it (like that People magazine article posted earlier). That's not to say it went completely under the radar, there was an episode of Unhappily Ever After where a comedian who is obviously a spoof of Jerry is dating Tiffany.

This is more of a side tangent but while I still love his work, Jerry in general seems like a pretty jerky, callous person overall. Aside from the topic of this thread, there's the whole bit with Jerry stealing a guy's newlywed wife back in '98. Not to mention coming across as a very unpleasant person who constantly looks down his nose at "the little people" in Comedians in Cars. Look up the episode with Bill Maher where he asks a waiter "What's your name?" The waiter then naturally extends his hand to Jerry and introduces himself. Jerry then just coldly stares at the dude and says something like 'Wow, that's gross. You just shake someone's hand after being in the kitchen?' Even Bill Maher seemed uncomfortable. Then at one point the same waiter is walking by and Jerry, who just berated the waiter for being "unhygenic" then puts a used napkin in his hand to throw away. Like, all time great comedian but #1 celebrity I wouldn't want anything to do with in a public situation. And I'm all for giving celebs their space in public anyways, just saying Jerry makes it easy because of how crass he comes off as.

Never saw this before. Holy shit, that was not just a slip of the tongue or anything (not that such a thing would be acceptable anyway).

That was full on racist Klan shit.

Yes, that was horrible but at least it inspired this:

Last edited:

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
didn't sound too fake.
It's not the audience's fault, the apology came too fast. Youtube didn't exist, the video only started to go viral, and Letterman/Seinfeld gave no specifics, so the vast majority of the audience had no clue what he was even apologizing about.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
It's not the audience's fault, the apology came too fast. Youtube didn't exist, the video only started to go viral, and Letterman/Seinfeld gave no specifics, so the vast majority of the audience had no clue what he was even apologizing about.

Yeah, I always took it as the audience wasn't laughing at him or being dismissive, they were just like "Uhhh, ok this is kinda weird. Why is the guy who played Kramer giving this super uncomfortable apology about a very serious situation over satellite feed on this Letterman episode we waited in line to see?" They can't be blamed at all for maybe thinking it was some weird skit. Not to mention Richards being crazy awkward and saying things like "Afro-Americans." And Jerry comes across condescending as always treating the audience like they're dumb kids saying "Stop that! It's not funny!" in a lecturing tone. Give me a break. I remember Sinbad saying in his opinion Richard's apology on Letterman was an inappropriate cop out which I agree with and also said something to the effect of "If he really wants to man up and show that he's really sorry then he should come out and apologize on stage at the Apollo." Although I dunno if that would have been a great idea either, obviously. lol

Last edited:

irradiance

Oct 30, 2017
He had a racist outburst during a stand up

It's bad, really bad.

Whoa. Never watched it and assumed he just made a brainless comment. This was something else.
He also appears on Comedian in Cars Getting Coffee. Jerry asks him some good questions. He seems extremely remorseful, sad, and downright broken towards the end. Honestly, I feel like he's been through enough after all these years. I recommend watching that episode and you decide for yourselves. It doesn't excuse what he did, just thought it'd be an interesting watch over a decade later.

Edit* Fixed the link

Thanks for the link. He's basically saying that it broke him. And Jerry looking at him like "I always knew you were racist, and probably still are, but why tf couldn't you just keep it to yourself."

Last edited:

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
This is a world in which Woody Allen had a relationship and then married his girlfriend's adopted daughter....plus..well you know the other stuff...he still got a pass, until pretty recently.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The way I see this stuff is if you're an adult, you can only date 18-19 year olds if you're below 30.

No adults should be having sex with anyone below 18.

If you're over 30, the lowest you should go is around 20 but i'll be giving you a side-glance if you look like you can be your partner's grandpa.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Age of consent is all well and good, but that doesn't stop it from being creepy as hell. Lets say the AoC is 17 and and she just turned 17 today.. That doesn't make her any more mature than she was 6 hours ago. But the law says she's free to date 40 year old men, so it's fine? Nah. That's still borderline predator..

Lets flip this to the obvious next step: Any of you "but, age of consent" people comfortable with your 16/17 year old dating a 40 year old man?

Last edited:

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty disgusting
Inb4 "WELL ACTUALLY..."
I never understand why people feel they have a right to pass judgement on others (when they are doing nothing wrong). Not getting at you OP.

If she was attracted to him for money and power, good on her, as long as they were both adults, I don't see how anyone has a right to judge

He is an actor not the pope

I am UK based, this is presuming 16 is the law in US
Lol just under the wire shugga

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This is all kinds of cringe. Guess you were the one 'in charge', eh?

FWIW I haven't dated a teenager since I *was one*, so even though I can't relate to your situation I still don't think your about-to-be-18 GF was incapable of deciding for herself nor would I be comfortable with such an imbalance in a relationship.
She want to and I didn't. Do I not get a say?

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
The age of consent in NY is 17, in case anyone was wondering.

So he may have been sketchy, but she wasn't underage.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, that was horrible but at least it inspired this:

i fucking lost it at "ok you take the monkey's side"

i dont even remember that episode, i dont remember any monkey in the show, must be from one of the episodes i didn't care for

EDIT: nvm, i kinda remember the zookeeper guy in the video

Oct 25, 2017
Hollywood doesn't care.
giphy.gif

They seriously still stan for Roman Polanski so any idea they will look down on a 30-40 year old dating a teenager is giving them too much credit.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
17 is legal. They are still married. Meh. I dated a 19 yr old at 31. what can ya do.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
TIL that my wife and I being 20 years apart in age is creepy and or immoral, and that the stereotypes of it being a male fantasy trip but nevermind two people being in love with each other.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
TIL that my wife and I being 20 years apart in age is creepy and or immoral, and that the stereotypes of it being a male fantasy trip but nevermind two people being in love with each other.

Were ya'll both grown for all those 20 years? Then no problem. Have a nice life. If your wife was a minor when you started smashing and you were 38, then yea. You were immoral. Sorry.

The age difference itself isn't the issue. She was 17.

OP
OP
BobbeMalle

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
That guy is an ass. That is all

That's a superficial opinion on the subject, it's not always black or white.
Jerry is a smart, brilliant person and i doubt he recklessly doved into a creepy situation.
Despite all of this, i can understand he felt a connection with this girl, but it's still immoral to pursue a relationship like this.
Like others said, the age difference is not the issue, the problem is that she's 17.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
When I was like 27 and dating an 18 year old girl I felt extremely weird about it, and that was legal!

I made sure to ask everyone around me how they felt about it and if it was weird and they all told me they didn't see it as a big deal.

I will say I didn't, like, intentionally go for her cuz she was younger or any of that nonsense. Age is age and I was late 20's but I will say I've always been much younger looking, and frankly kind of immature for my age. So seeing us together really didn't even look like any kind of age difference. So there was that. But I'm not taking away the age gap and how young she was. Even to this day I still feel slightly weird about our age gap. I would have preferred her to be older.

We were co-workers and she actually made the first moves. I was really unsure about it but after my friends and even her own brother said it was no big deal I felt more okay with it.

But Jerry being damn near 40 and dating a high school girl? Goddamn. That's going too far.
That's not even legal! He probably coulda dated any woman, why a 17 year old?

Some guys are way too pervy about younger women. It's all I can take from this cuz as I said, he woulda had little trouble finding someone his age. No excuse.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine asking your friends, people who are complete strangers to this person, for permission to date her. Her, someone old enough to begin taking their own life in their hands and learn from their own experiences and choices.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Gross.

As soon as I hit 26 or so I stopped being attracted to women up to 22. The brain isn't mature until around 23 and most people lack real life experience, they're like children.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The age of consent in NY is 17, in case anyone was wondering.

So he may have been sketchy, but she wasn't underage.

Some states have 16/17 as age of consent BUT it comes with restrictions. Like you have to be within a few years of your sexual partner, which Seinfeld was not. Now, if you want to believe they weren't having sex while she was 17 and he was 38 then....you can believe what you want I guess. But a 17 year old having sex with a 38 year old is very illegal in all US states.