• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just the price of lumber that's skyrocketed, or ALL building supplies? We wanted to have our basement finished and we're planning on using aluminum framing behind the drywall. Haven't received any quotes just yet, but was wondering if cutting back on amount of lumber used would save us a considerable amount.
It's lots of stuff.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
We're delaying our deck project, and I was hoping like "Oh by 2022 prices will probably be somewhat back to normal as supply ramps up..." but I Think it'll perpetuate longer. It's kinda like the wedding venue market. Everybody from 2020 cancelled their big events, and so every place is booked for 2021 and prices are insane for venues/catering/etc, and so that then affects 2022 as well as people who were going to get married in 2021 are now pushed back to 2022 because of price... etc.

That makes sense.

Have to hope that suppliers across the board see the prices and get greedy and want to capture as much revenue as possible with as much supply as possible. I don't really see a scenario where they collude to keep supply limited like the OPEC cartel or something.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
My contractor called me up to see how things were going with the new workshop I built about a year ago and told me the cost now and I almost spit out my coffee.
Timing.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense.

Have to hope that suppliers across the board see the prices and get greedy and want to capture as much revenue as possible with as much supply as possible. I don't really see a scenario where they collude to keep supply limited like the OPEC cartel or something.

I hope so too... especially with the manufactured products like Trex, etc., which have a chance to take an even bigger cut of the market because it's mostly petroleum products and some wood waste products (sawdust, waste) so they have more diverse supply lines, not all Canadian lumber.

If someone can jump out and under cut prices and ramp up manufacturing supply they can get a huge advantage. Thankfully I think the lumber and manufacturing supply market is too distributed to have a real cartel come in and control prices. The history of oil companies all being state/government-run made it easy for them to band together even when some were privatized

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
609ecb38f30c5.jpeg

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
According to the futures trading for Lumber, price has started dropping since early May https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/commodities/lbs

Not sure how long it will take for the drop to be reflected in actual prices. I think the futures contract ends in July so maybe around the end of summer. Could always go back up too but looking at that chart, prices are cooling down

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I sort of follow the real estate market in the Vancouver area and the low supply is a problem. Even years ago contractors were reluctant to build more housing because of the cost of land, construction costs, taxes, permits, delays, and all the red tape they had to deal with. Now the cost of building supplies makes their decisions even easier. They're saying screw it. People complain about the price of real estate and rent but it's rarely worth building new housing anymore, especially with the current construction costs.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
So I wanted to bump this as WaPo has additional updates/info on the lumber situation. Prices are still falling and correcting. Now some say the increase was due to inflation - and I typically understand inflation as the value of money declining due to a glut of money circulating in the system. Here, I think it kind of points to unprecedented supply chain issues coupled with strong demand driving up prices.

Lumber companies and home builders reported record profits due to the lumber increases. The lumber companies laid off workers and plants over the last year, creating a labor shortage. Now they're bragging about massive profits and talking about now having to lure workers back with increased pay/benefits. So I wonder how much of this was companies just not paying enough over the last year, prolonging issues with supply, versus the value of the dollar itself collapsing. Would it be typical for a company to have massive profits and soaring stock prices due to inflation?

Lumber prices rose more than 260 percent over the past year, as the pandemic reshaped Americans' spending patterns and disrupted industrial pipelines. But since early May, those prices have plunged by nearly half.

The abrupt turnabout offers lessons that are likely to guide policymakers as they run the economy at full throttle, accepting what they regard as a temporary bout of inflation in hopes of generating more than 10 million new jobs. Lumber's wild gyrations show that today's hiring troubles and shipping delays reflect short-term reopening kinks, not a lasting shift that will push prices higher and higher.

When the pandemic first hit, sawmills furloughed workers and cut production to prepare for a punishing recession. But while housing starts fell to their lowest level since the financial crisis a decade before, they rebounded by summer, catching sawmills with low inventories and covid-thinned crews.
Panic buying set in, as consumers remodeling their houses for the work-from-home era rushed to avoid being caught short. Prices peaked May 7 at $1,686 per thousand board feet, a standard measurement, up from about $460 before the pandemic.

"Shutting down an industry and restarting it, it's not a flip of a switch," said economist Dustin Jalbert, who heads the lumber team for Fastmarkets RISI, a data and research firm.

On Thursday, Lennar, a Miami-based home builder, reported $831 million in second-quarter net earnings along with the fattest profit margins for that period in the company's history.

Weyerhaeuser, the largest U.S. lumber producer, reported $681 million in profit for the first three months of this year, its best first-quarter results since the collapse of the housing bubble. The company's stock is up 47 percent over the past year, rising more than four times as fast as the broader market.

No doubt that there are some inflationary issues happening, but I'd bet this is mostly driven by supply chain issues and the long-term mismanagement that was exposed by the pandemic. Operating at razor thin margins and capacity that didn't take into account the possibility of disruptions of any kind.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it'll go back up again just somewhat do to all the people who are gonna rush to get their projects they held off on done since the price dropped.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well time to call my contractor again.

Building demand is still pretty high so I'd expect labor costs to stay high.

Interestingly the insanely hot housing market has actually slowed in Massachusetts... Boston and Worcester both had moderate drops in home prices the last 2 months.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Interestingly the insanely hot housing market has actually slowed in Massachusetts... Boston and Worcester both had moderate drops in home prices the last 2 months.

I thought that would be the case around me (central Jersey) but I keep seeing literal dumps selling for nearly 200K. We're talking home of hoarders that are going to be entirely gutted if they want to be made livable.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I signed a contractor to build my deck about 1 month ago... already paid 20% though they haven't started the project yet

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

I saw some actually sort of steep drops in my area. Might be time for this ol' boy to buy something.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
So why did the price go up? Lack of labor cut into the supply? Increased amount of demand as people at home decided to do some home improvement?

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that would be the case around me (central Jersey) but I keep seeing literal dumps selling for nearly 200K. We're talking home of hoarders that are going to be entirely gutted if they want to be made livable.

Considering real estate costs in NJ, that is cheap. Figure if you're good for a 500K mortgage, you get the home for 200K and get your motrgage set up as one of those for rehab (forget the exact name). You now have 300K to work with to make that house into whatever you want, which is a TON of money for a renovation.

Oct 25, 2017
So why did the price go up? Lack of labor cut into the supply? Increased amount of demand as people at home decided to do some home improvement?

Supply constraints due to shipping combined with everyone and their mom doing projects. Ive not been able to get a quote from my contractor despite speaking and emailing with him 4 times. It's just wildly busy right now

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

Everyone and I mean everyone looked at the pandemic and thought "oh no we need to produce less" and completely misread demand across many industries.

That and the sawmills that stayed open were having production issues due to people being out for COVID. Hell that's still happening in many industries.

Lumber is also something with a several month delay in creation. The industry doesn't turn on a dime when they realized what the market was doing. Like some other raw material industries, there's also not a lot of thirst for investment since a glut in supply for an extended amount of time can crater prices and make the whole thing unprofitable.

And then since lumber is a traded commodity, Wall Street got involved and pumped the price up further on speculation.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Was getting quotes from contractors on new roofs.

Two were still charging $135 per board of plywood.

One guy dropped to $80 per board of plywood.

I think the 3rd guy is going to get a lot of business.