• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article is from 2013, but I just seen it come across my feed. That's fucking nuts.

George Clooney is spending a recent handsome paycheck on an endeavor that might surprise those who know more about Clooney's love life than his espionage activities.
The "Gravity" actor told the Guardian that he's spending "most" of the cash he earns from appearing in commercials for Nespresso on a spy satellite aimed at Sudan. Allow Clooney to explain:
Most of the money I make on the [Nespresso] commercials I spend keeping a satellite over the border of North and South Sudan to keep an eye on Omar al-Bashir [the Sudanese dictator charged with war crimes at The Hague]. Then he puts out a statement saying that I'm spying on him and how would I like it if a camera was following me everywhere I went and I go 'well welcome to my life Mr War Criminal'. I want the war criminal to have the same amount of attention that I get. I think that's fair.
al-Bashir was recently reported to have fled Nigeria in an attempt to avoid being arrested on war crimes and human rights violations. Human rights leaders accuse the Sudanese president of committing gruesome atrocities in the Darfur region of the country.
Clooney's humorous take on the situation shouldn't be mistaken for glibness on the actor's part. The Satellite Sentinel Project, Clooney's spy program, tracks the movements of Sudan's brutal army and attempts to warn civilians in advance of attacks. The 52-year-old was also arrested last March in a protest at the Sudanese embassy in Washington D.C. At the time, Clooney told The Huffington Post that the goal "is the same goal it's been all along and will continue to be and not be accomplished today or anytime in the near future, but it's a job that we have to continually do which is raise attention."

Are there any other celebrities that do this kind of thing?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I was paid enough to buy private satellites I could use to watch people like I'm Batman or something.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I was paid enough to buy private satellites I could use to watch people like I'm Batman or something.
george-clooney-1-2.jpg

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
The answer to But Why is written in the blurbs. Extremely noble goal, wish that were common behavior everywhere where a lotta war crimes take place.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, he does what?

I mean look at him.
Look at his house. It has a secret underwater cave for a jet boat.

if you think George Clooney is anything more than an identity for hiding a superhero in plain sight I don't know what to tell you.

PS he bought a tequila distillery and farm and sold it for a billion dollars. And that tequila was effing legit too.

3o7JFls.jpg

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see those nespresso commercials I think about this fact. I'm glad Clooney can do some good with the money. Even if it's just to observe atrocities.

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
It's wild to me I haven't heard of this before at all, given this is a piece from 2013. If it wasn't the HuffPost I'd say the whole article is just an elaborate joke.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I love that Clooney quote, its spot on. I also had no idea about this, however he always one of the actors who legitimately felt like good people.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Wouldn't a drone be more cost effective?
Considering the satellite didn't do shit to lead to the arrest of Bashir and he had to be deposed years later due to protests and a military coup, it seems like a huge vanity project that ended up being a waste of money.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes way, way more sense when you know what his wife does.

still insane and amazing though

Considering the satellite didn't do shit to lead to the arrest of Bashir and he had to be deposed years later due to protests and a military coup, it seems like a huge vanity project that ended up being a waste of money.
well there are the villages full of people that were warned of impending attacks, repeatedly. but go off

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Did Batman & Robin teach Clooney about satellite reconnaisance or did his experience inform his acting in the telescope scene

Solace

Dog's Best Friend
Oct 29, 2017
Huh
Is that legal? Wtf, you can just launch your own satellite and spy on other nations?