• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
While looking up stuff on Resident Evil, I came across this 2001 article when Capcom announced that the Resident evil series would be developed exclusively for the Nintendo GameCube. In the article was this:

The company will first release a remake version of Biohazard [released on the PlayStation in 1996] on March 22 of next year. It will be followed by the release of Biohazard 0, and then remake versions of Biohazard 2, Biohazard 3, Biohazard Code:Veronica, and finally leading up to the anticipated Biohazard 4.

gen722.jpg

Putting aside that only two games ended up being exclusive as RE4 came out on the PS2 as well and Code Veronica released on the PS2 in 2001, I had no idea there was a plan to do more than just port 2, 3 and Code Veronica. The exclusivity was well-known, but I feel like this was forgotten because I had no idea this was the plan. Instead, I think everything was just ported.

I guess we got what they planned 18 years later! :-O

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
Could be mistranslation because Capcom did release those games on GameCube (ports, not remakes).

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
RE/Nintendo exclusivity was full on WTF! Didn't they go from RE4 will never, ever be on anything else to announcing the PS2 port before the GC release!

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling that the author is actually just referring to the ports that did come out. Some crossed wires maybe?

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We do know that RE4 was such a disappointment on GC sales-wise that Capcom walked back on that exclusivity policy and released the game to PS2 and PC.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Would have been nice to have all 4 classic games remade to a consistent standard.

I remember hearing about RE2make way back when, but never the full saga.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
That photo makes it look like neither are happy about the deal lol

Not sure why Veronica would be remake, was the Gamecube that much more powerful than the Dreamcast?

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
yeah, heard that before.
after the disappointing sales of REmake 1 and Zero they scrapped the rest and just ported them I guess.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If I recall, the only remake that was even slightly planned after 0 was 2. But since 0 had so much criticism and didn't reach expectations. Plans to make any other remakes were scrapped.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We do know that RE4 was such a disappointment on GC sales-wise that Capcom walked back on that exclusivity policy and released the game to PS2 and PC.

They anticipated weak sales based on GCN"s commercial performance, as the PS2 port was announced months before the game launched. Mikami had a ton of control over his own projects, but Capcom eventually took some of that control away.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
If I recall, the only remake that was even slightly planned after 0 was 2. But since 0 had so much criticism and didn't reach expectations. Plans to make any other remakes were scrapped.

I guess that was probably it? Maybe if the GC were more successful, full remakes of the originals would have already been available.

Then again, I really like the RE2 remake, so maybe it's OK that was waited lol.

Oct 28, 2017

I believe it had to do with the rest of the "Capcom 5" and the troubles all those games were having and not the sales of RE4, which like others have said wasn't out when Capcom said they were going to port the game.

To be fair, it is arugbly the greatest game ever made so sales, no matter what platform are underwhelming.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably for the best. I don't think we would have gotten this remake if one already existed before.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
PS2 version was announced before the GC version was even released. It was more disappointment in GC sales, REmake/0 sales and potintial RE4 sales than actually looking at RE4 sales numbers.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This was absolutely supposed to happen. It was one of the reasons I bought a GameCube.

The fact that it did not happen was also widely talked about a decade ago. It was notorious as a reason to not put blindly accept exclusive contracts. A similar sentiment was expressed after Agent on PS3, except that just became vaporware.

Anecdotally, I remember people used to accuse (some in jest, some serious) every exclusive of becoming one of the most widely ported games as was RE4.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain they just meant the straight ports that the Gamecube got.

Announcing the PS2 version hurt the Gamecube release.
Being on the Gamecube hurt the Gamecube release. The whole plan of moving the franchise to the Gamecube was idiotic and diminished the popularity of the brand for a while. Mikami had a weird thing against Sony I guess, what with Code Veronica originally being made for the Dreamcast and the PS2 getting a heavily-belated port.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
RE2/3/CV were never meant to be remade for GameCube. That was just dodgy reporting at the time. They were always intended as ports to compliment RE0's previously planned release.

L_Blue

Jan 9, 2019
Must have been ports. Does anyone seriously think that they would have had time to develop completely remade versions of 2, 3 and CV, all whilst working on RE4 for a 2005 release at the same time?

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
How did Capcom end up making so many exclusive games or initially exclusive games for the GC, was it a Nintendo moneyhat or?

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
This was absolutely supposed to happen. It was one of the reasons I bought a GameCube.

The fact that it did not happen was also widely talked about a decade ago. It was notorious as a reason to not put blindly accept exclusive contracts. A similar sentiment was expressed after Agent on PS3, except that just became vaporware.

Anecdotally, I remember people used to accuse (some in jest, some serious) every exclusive of becoming one of the most widely ported games as was RE4.

Nice to hear of someone who remembers when this was announced.

The fact that I'm seeing it on a few sites means if that's not what they meant, then I don't think they communicated it properly. I read that and was like O_O

Hah, don't worry, I know I could've looked up this info before posting but decided to trust my memory.

Yeah, no biggie. The minute I see that I'm correcting someone twice, I usually get self-conscious about it because I hate doing that lol

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Must have been ports. Does anyone seriously think that they would have had time to develop completely remade versions of 2, 3 and CV, all whilst working on RE4 for a 2005 release at the same time?

Eh, at that point in time, I could see that. They released quite a bit because games were overall smaller, less detailed, with worse AI and usually worse voice acting since even bigger games at the time didn't have voice acting as good as it is now. I mean they were doing REmake, RE0, Dino Crisis, Devil May Cry 1 - 3, Viewtiful Joe 1 - 2, the Capcom Five (including RE4)...

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

REmake only took 14 months to develop.

They probably could have done it if they really wanted to.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Mikami was very resentful of Sony. I'm not sure if it was because the console was harder to develop for, if he didn't like Sony's view for the system as an all-in-one entertainment device, or if Sony just didn't offer the same support other console developers of the time did-- the Dreamcast ver. of RE:CV had Sega staff helping Capcom staff directly iirc. There's the infamous "cut of my own head" (approximate quote) line from Mikami regarding if RE4 made it to a Sony console.
Being on the Gamecube hurt the Gamecube release..

Yep.

Oct 29, 2017
Probably just a mistranslation. Pretty sure there was never any intention to remake the other games on Gamecube (they would never have been able to remake them all before the generation was over anyway!)

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I seem to remember a follow-up story not too long after where Capcom clarified that this meant the ports of RE2/RE3/CVX. Because they were remaking RE1 there was some confusion.

Being on the Gamecube hurt the Gamecube release. The whole plan of moving the franchise to the Gamecube was idiotic and diminished the popularity of the brand for a while. Mikami had a weird thing against Sony I guess, what with Code Veronica originally being made for the Dreamcast and the PS2 getting a heavily-belated port.
This. The games were hugely successful on the PS1 and the PS2 was an even more popular console, so of course they put out their new games as exclusives to the two least-popular consoles of that generation.

Capcom had to have been fuming by the time they got out of their contract and announced the PS2 version of RE4. Not just at Mikami, but also at Nintendo for their lack of support in ensuring these Capcom exclusives were successful for both the GameCube and for Capcom.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Mikami was very resentful of Sony. I'm not sure if it was because the console was harder to develop for, if he didn't like Sony's view for the system as an all-in-one entertainment device, or if Sony just didn't offer the same support other console developers of the time did-- the Dreamcast ver. of RE:CV had Sega staff helping Capcom staff directly iirc. There's the infamous "cut of my own head" (approximate quote) line from Mikami regarding if RE4 made it to a Sony console.

Yep.

According to a Kotaku article, the PS2 being very hard to develop for drove his thinking. Xbox guys had a bad meeting with him and couldn't convince him to put it on the Xbox.

Probably just a mistranslation. Pretty sure there was never any intention to remake the other games on Gamecube (they would never have been able to remake them all before the generation was over anyway!)

Are we sure about this? REmake took a little over a year, and considering how much shorter development time was and how much smaller the games are, it seems like something that actually would have been possible at the time. I mean, REmake, RE0 and RE4? And three Devil May Cry games? And a Dino Crisis? And in 2000, Code Veronica? Seems doable. I feel like the sales of REmake and maybe 0 affected this.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Mikami was pretty hot-head regarding the PlayStation brand in general. I got this interview from GameInformer where (supposedly) say that the PS2 high number of selled systems were because of the poor quality of the DVD lens. Therefore, people had to buy another system sooner or later. He also apparently rant over the fact that Kingdom Hearts sold more in Japan than REmake back in the day:

BXa-hk_CEAEi6s4.jpg

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Didn't RE4 only come to exist because of that "Capcom Five" exclusivity deal? Given the fact that Capcom struck the deal to help bolster GameCube's third-party support, it's not surprising that the games involved in the deal underperformed and made it to other platforms. One of the "Five" was even canceled, and I think all but one of the four that made it out - that being P.N.03 - ended up being released on other platforms.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
RE2/3/CV were never meant to be remade for GameCube. That was just dodgy reporting at the time. They were always intended as ports to compliment RE0's previously planned release.

I mean, what you're saying is the only option that would make any sense with what is stated in the article. The plan was always just to port those games to GCN before the launch of RE4. As far as the release timeline goes at that point they were probably aiming to have RE4 launch in '04 with REmake out in '02 & Zero out in '03 so having remakes of RE2, RE3 & CVX exhaustively done in the style of the RE1 remake all before RE4 launched would absolutely be out of the question because when would they have had time to do them? I don't doubt that a couple Capcom employees at that time may have toyed around with some ideas of what they would've done with RE2 if they were to remake it but I would be surprised if that went beyond (at most) maybe some documents they made (you would probably know more about that than I would though) but even then an actual remake of RE2 is not at all what was being reported on here. Similarly to what you said, content of this article is likely the product of either poor translation or poor choice of words on the part of Capcom, both of which were very common issues with reporting at the time.

Last edited:

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm from neither the USA or Japan, but i don't recall any magazine from South America saying that RE2 and RE3 were going to be re-made from the scratch for the GCN in a similar way to Remake (i was buying Club Nintendo - MĂ©xico - Hobby Consolas - Spain - and EDGE back in the day), so i'm not sure if that deal is true. I do remember Nintendo Power translated version (Club Nintendo did that for some guides and articles), saying that "Gamecube was the only system in the world where you could play all the Resident Evil series as a whole" , but anything about remakes.

Probably the funniest fact about RE4 and Mikami in general was his legenday quote, saying that he was going to cut his head off if RE4 came out in anything but the Gamecube, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Didn't RE4 only come to exist because of that "Capcom Five" exclusivity deal? Given the fact that Capcom struck the deal to help bolster GameCube's third-party support, it's not surprising that the games involved in the deal underperformed and made it to other platforms. One of the "Five" was even canceled, and I think all but one of the four that made it out - that being P.N.03 - ended up being released on other platforms.

The fourth game being an exclusive was announced before the GameCube was even released, and the Capcom 5 was announced after that.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

How? I was in retail at the time and that thing sold gamecubes like gangbusters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mikami was pretty hot-head regarding the PlayStation brand in general. I got this interview from GameInformer where (supposedly) say that the PS2 high number of selled systems were because of the poor quality of the DVD lens. Therefore, people had to buy another system sooner or later. He also apparently rant over the fact that Kingdom Hearts sold more in Japan than REmake back in the day:

BXa-hk_CEAEi6s4.jpg

Was he shilling for a job at Nintendo or something. Just a bunch of bizarre statements.

How? I was in retail at the time and that thing sold gamecubes like gangbusters

RE games went from selling multi-million units to something that barely cleared one million.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
What the hell did Sony do to Mikami to convince him to turn his back on the fanbase built up from those millions of copies sold on the PS1? Man, what a bone-headed decision to make in retrospect.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Yepp. I heard the same thing back then.

Was waiting for REmake2 since the release on 1 on GC.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising. Capcom probably had big expectations for the Gamecube, otherwise they wouldn't have done that deal.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was a mis-translation. RE4 was their primary focus after Zero was being made. That's how I always understood it as

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow at the kingdom hearts stealing REmake sales quote. Especially funny with the delay of Kingdom Hearts 3 to the same week as REmake 2. Nomura never forgets and never forgives!