• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I've toured with one professional gospel choir of 50 people and we were asked to sing on every flight. We had secular stuff specifically for things like that, but choral music at large is inherently religious, especially in classical music when most text comes from sacred music. We'd sing one SHORT song (1-2 minutes) and then be quiet. Every director I've ever had is uncomfy with it. If a group is jazzed to invade the public with their music, I'd definitely not want to be a part of it.

I also agree that it's not considerate of the other 150 people who paid to be there and in quiet. But point is - they were likely asked to do so because a flight attendant thought it'd be a fantastic idea lol.

I think there's a difference between a professional gospel choir on a flight being prompted by the flight-staff to perform as a special treat vs. impromptu Youth Group Bobby and co. trying to flash-sing and proselytize with a contemporary Hillsong United piece.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Lmaoo was looking for the same gif.

Flying is already a pain to deal with, so becoming a captive audience for some annoying guy with a guitar just adds to the awful experience.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
After the first song, I would have gotten up and said "Now it's my turn".

I would then proceed with my interpretation of Closer by Nine Inch Nails - you know, to keep with the Easter theme.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
This happens all the time on flights within U.S Territories. It's why you bring headphones. If someone is carrying a musical instrument onboard and they're with a group, you're in for a surprise concert once the seatbelt light is off whether you like it or not.
Wrong. That doesn't happen.

Having people sing songs out loud on a airplane without permission from flight attendants or from the captain is very inconsiderate to people who have paid a lot of money to fly & expect peace & quiet. They're not on a charter bus, in a shopping mall or in a subway.

If they want to do that, then they should do it on their own time on either a charter plane or on a private plane.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Planes still require masks, do they not?

The one time I'll use the term "muzzle them!"

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Bloke in the green shirt is pretty much how I'd be feeling. If it was one person I'd find it irritating but stick my headphones on the same way I do with drunk weirdos on the train, but seeing dozens of them grinning and banging on about it is just grim in either its utter lack of self awareness or seeming enjoyment in how uncomfortable they were making others, but also in the apparent endorsement of this shit by the flight crew. I'd be grabbing video footage of the flight crew endorsing it or failing to shut it down, and if they did, getting a refund afterwards. I can't imagine they let just anyone inflict a mass weird singalong on their customers.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Very inconsiderate, but I still think people are overreacting a bit. If it was just one song, that's not long enough to be a serious annoyance to anyone.

Now more that? Yeah, time to sit your ass down then.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Sitting down on an airplane and seeing some dude a couple rows up unbuckle their guitar case sounds like a fucking nightmare.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.asiaone.com

'Inappropriate and honestly scary': Singaporean man gets flak for conducting Christian worship on flight

Passengers onboard an easyJet plane had an in-flight entertainment of a different kind after a Singaporean man, Jonathan Neo, conducted a mid-flight Christian worship session. In the videos trending on social media, Neo was standing along the plane aisle strumming his guitar while singing out...

I thought the guy gave off a Singaporean vibe when I first saw this lol
I'm Singaporean.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I swear to god I would stand up and cuss them out, then call the cops when the plane landed.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Just uncomfortable. I hate people singing on a subway, and I would hate this even more because I can't just get off at the next stop.

Sit the fuck down.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
www.asiaone.com

'Inappropriate and honestly scary': Singaporean man gets flak for conducting Christian worship on flight

Passengers onboard an easyJet plane had an in-flight entertainment of a different kind after a Singaporean man, Jonathan Neo, conducted a mid-flight Christian worship session. In the videos trending on social media, Neo was standing along the plane aisle strumming his guitar while singing out...

I thought the guy gave off a Singaporean vibe when I first saw this lol
I'm Singaporean.

Prior to this controversy, Neo was heading to Przemyśl, a Polish border town closest to Lviv, Ukraine on March 23 to help refugees at the Polish-Ukrainian border.

oh so he's going to proselytize under the guise of humanitarian aid

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Very inconsiderate, but I still think people are overreacting a bit. If it was just one song, that's not long enough to be a serious annoyance to anyone.

People pay good money to be on these airplanes, even economy class is expansive. The least you can do is respect the other passengers. Even if they didn't pay, even if it's the bus, or the train, just don't expose everyone to your shit assuming they ALL want to hear it. It,s not any different from those obnoxious people in commute that blast their phone with their music to make sure their friend hears.

I think there's a difference between a professional gospel choir on a flight being prompted by the flight-staff to perform as a special treat vs. impromptu Youth Group Bobby and co. trying to flash-sing and proselytize with a contemporary Hillsong United piece.

From my point of view as a passenger, it's the exact same thing. Doesn't matter if they're good or not or prompted by the flight attendants. I don't care if the music is good or not, it's just not the time. If people want to listen to music, they can listen with earbuds or headphones on.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
In my experience a lot of religious humanitarian missions like this just get in people's way. Feels like it's some kind of weird ego trip for them.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
From my point of view as a passenger, it's the exact same thing. Doesn't matter if they're good or not or prompted by the flight attendants. I don't care if the music is good or not, it's just not the time. If people want to listen to music, they can listen with earbuds or headphones on.

Yep I agree as I'd prefer neither. But I can understand the difference between having say Renee Fleming on a flight vs. random youth group.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Religious people are so entitled. Pushing their fantasies on others. One of these days they'll be met with the ridicule they deserve and not the respect they now receive.

Only time I've told people I'm an atheist is when I'm asked. But boy I've lost count on the number of times I've been told about Jesus and their great book.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

No, it still really fucking sucks no matter how many songs it is. It's obnoxious as hell, and I don't want to have to deal with behavior like that on a plane.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
No, it still really fucking sucks no matter how many songs it is. It's obnoxious as hell, and I don't want to have to deal with behavior like that on a plane.

Theres also the fact that its a plane theres a lot of shit you aint supposed to do because again, its on a plane. It shouldn't have to be said to not do this shit on a plane but apparently, they're gonna have to get that shit in writing because of this fool.

SPEA

Oct 29, 2017
This happens all the time on flights within U.S Territories. It's why you bring headphones. If someone is carrying a musical instrument onboard and they're with a group, you're in for a surprise concert once the seatbelt light is off whether you like it or not.
This is just a lie or you're trolling. I fly ALOT and nothing like this has ever happened to me.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Read once that the irritation is practically the point, and this sort of proselytizing is less about increasing their numbers, and more about further securing the ones they already have. Basically that they encourage this sort of behavior, and others, such as door-knocking, in part because it garners a negative reaction, which in turn furthers an us vs them vibe and thus makes the zealot feel closer to other zealots.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The religious fundies must have seen the polls that people are getting less religious, so they have to go more extreme with their messaging and forcefulness. I've noticed a really, really hard push lately.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I've toured with one professional gospel choir of 50 people and we were asked to sing on every flight. We had secular stuff specifically for things like that, but choral music at large is inherently religious, especially in classical music when most text comes from sacred music. We'd sing one SHORT song (1-2 minutes) and then be quiet. Every director I've ever had is uncomfy with it. If a group is jazzed to invade the public with their music, I'd definitely not want to be a part of it.

I also agree that it's not considerate of the other 150 people who paid to be there and in quiet. But point is - they were likely asked to do so because a flight attendant thought it'd be a fantastic idea lol.

Any flight attendant who asks for and enables this nonsense should be fired.

Yes, I am serious.

It's unprofessional and disrespectful to customers who want no part of it.