• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've been over this. Anybody that looks old to a zoomer is a boomer. It's not like real boomers will mind they took over their name and most of them are dying from old age or covid anyway.
So, yes. Resetera is full of 30s.-40s something people that have the boomer mindset.

I mean I know almost no one in their 30s who has a "boomer mindset" but sure ok, stereotypes (especially incorrect ones) are super cool.

If anything a lot of 30 year olds have a "I don't care anymore" mindset, which has its own set of problems.

Sep 14, 2019
I mean I know almost no one in their 30s who has a "boomer mindset" but sure ok, stereotypes (especially incorrect ones) are super cool.

If anything a lot of 30 year olds have a "I don't care anymore" mindset, which has its own set of problems.

I was called a "Boomer" by some early 20's twink 😒

I just wanted to rant 🤷🏽‍♂️

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yup. And Im sure it has nothing to do with the fact that FaceBook is launching their TikTok competitor, Reels...

www.politico.com

Facebook launches its new TikTok clone: Instagram Reels

Facebook has a long tradition of cloning competitive services.

This shit is so fucked up.
It's just cheaper to lobby politicians to ban competitors.

Nothing ever change.

nqh4UwC.jpg

Spring

Oct 31, 2017

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We do actually have civil liberties. At a bare minimum, I can say fuck Trump fuck Xi free Uyghurs free Tibet free Hong Kong and Taiwan is an independent country and there's not even the possibility I could get arrested for it.

I'm glad the bar is in hell for you. Try organizing to reduce police powers so they can't kill you at a traffic stop and get back to me on those civil liberties

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow! Is this real? This is why FB is trash, no regret quitting it. I haven't been on social media the past few years.
techcrunch.com

Facebook expands Instagram Reels to India amid TikTok ban | TechCrunch

As scores of startups look to cash in on the video content void that ban on TikTok and other Chinese apps has created in India, a big challenger is ready

Must be a coincidence. Zuckerberg just really really care about privacy and he was concerned about the personal information of poor TikTok users.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

generations mean nothing, the colloquial term for anyone over like 25 is a boomer to gen z

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is really funny if only because it completely screws over the Oracle execs who spent a long time bribing Trump

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
techcrunch.com

Facebook expands Instagram Reels to India amid TikTok ban | TechCrunch

As scores of startups look to cash in on the video content void that ban on TikTok and other Chinese apps has created in India, a big challenger is ready

Must be a coincidence. Zuckerberg just really really care about privacy and he was concerned about the personal information of poor TikTok users.
So all these national security and spying scares are just a front for Zuckerberg to make some more $$$

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
User Banned (Permanent): Downplaying US civil rights abuses, prior severe bans for downplaying racism (including rationalizing racist Asian jokes)
we also have literal concentration camps you fascist enabler

No, the US does not. And you're the one defending autocracy using whataboutisms. If you truly believed in democracy, then preventing autocratic regimes access to information is the only logical conclusion. The US is clearly problematic too, but just one country is problematic, allowing another problematic country access to information doesn't somehow make the world a better place.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
No, the US does not. And you're the one defending autocracy using whataboutisms. If you truly believed in democracy, then preventing autocratic regimes access to information is the only logical conclusion. The US is clearly problematic too, but just one country is problematic, allowing another problematic country access to information doesn't somehow make the world a better place.
lol you need to go google search the definition of concentration camps

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not for the ban, but I do think a lot of of people don't understand the treasure trove of data TikTok has. I say this as someone who uses it frequently. After being an active user for a relatively short amount of time the algorithm gets incredibly specific to things you'll like, more so than I've seen anywhere else. TikTok creates an incredibly specific psychological profile of its users and feeds them content and a rapid pace. In the wrong hands it could be abused to shape public opinion, which we've already seen social media algorithms do, but I think the pinpoint accuracy of the algorithm coupled with the rapid-fire pace with which it feeds you videos makes it a whole other beast.

That said, Pandora's Box is open so even if it's banned in the U.S. the reason would just be so that a U.S. company with government contracts sets up a U.S.-based psychological data farming operation.

Really fucking cool place though, gonna be sad to see it go.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Watching you continually move goalposts to justify your Sinophobia has been something.

Yes I am phobic of the CCP. I haven't moved any goalposts, my first post was

It is crazy to allow Chinese companies a level playing field over here where it's denied from us over there in what will become a much bigger market.

Both markets have rules, as one of the posts I replied to stated. But it is inherently an inequal market in that foreign companies are subject to additional restrictions than Chinese-native companies. It says enough that TikTok could operate here no-strings attached whereas Facebook etc gets banned and blocked over there.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Explain to me how it's whataboutism when the thread is literally about the United States.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The border camps aren't concentration camps, that's just whataboutism"

Thats right, we're only calling them concentration camps because China is in the mix now. Nobody ever thought to call them that before...Oops

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
oh boy do i have news for you

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
People using WeChat should consider that by using it they are helping the CCP refine their censorship and the oppression of the people they care about.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Explain to me how it's whataboutism when the thread is literally about the United States.

Because the US having problems is irrelevant to whether China's problems are sufficient to oppose its ability to have access American's personal information, morally. Just because I'm condemning China for human rights violations doesn't mean I'm looking the other way to US human rights violations.

So they shouldnt contact their family or fpr busoness?

There aren't other apps not beholden to the CCP they can't use??

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the US having problems is irrelevant to whether China's problems are sufficient to oppose its ability to have access American's personal information, morally. Just because I'm condemning China for human rights violations doesn't mean I'm looking the other way to US human rights violations.

You literally white washed America's human rights violations as "problematic", but go off.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sinophobia is strong in here huh.
Trump did a good job furthering that, that's for sure
I agree that Trump is causing a lot of anti-Chinese sentiment to come out of the woodworks and the TikTok ban doesn't accomplish much aside from political pressure, but I fail to see how taking issue with the CCP itself equates to sinophobia. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the grievances expressed by most of posters in this thread are directed at the Chinese government. Generalizing the very real problems and atrocities committed by the Chinese government as just anti-Chinese isn't right either.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Not really, and wechat isnt just a chat program, to get around chinese city, youll need a wechat account, its use for payimg and other thing, its a super app

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is WeChat widely used in the US? I have no idea, but if it is, it'll hurt Apple.
WeChat use is extremely common for expats.

Suggesting "use another app" is like telling your boomer parents to stop using Facebook; they are not going to stop, all their friends and family and connections are on there.

People will attempt workarounds until the effort becomes more inconvenient than a mass migration to LINE or something.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

No.

Like, that's where we're at. There isn't. That's how firm of a grasp WeChat has in China. This is the means in which you are contacting people in China from the outside. Your friends, your family, your workplace, anything.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
All that someone has to do to get around it is to download them from a APK or use a VPN. All this does will give a lot of angry young people out to vote against Trump.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone else would just make more apps similar to those two, & a lot of people will migrate to them. Give it a couple of weeks.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm not for the ban, but I do think a lot of of people don't understand the treasure trove of data TikTok has. I say this as someone who uses it frequently. After being an active user for a relatively short amount of time the algorithm gets incredibly specific to things you'll like, more so than I've seen anywhere else. TikTok creates an incredibly specific psychological profile of its users and feeds them content and a rapid pace. In the wrong hands it could be abused to shape public opinion, which we've already seen social media algorithms do, but I think the pinpoint accuracy of the algorithm coupled with the rapid-fire pace with which it feeds you videos makes it a whole other beast.

That said, Pandora's Box is open so even if it's banned in the U.S. the reason would just be so that a U.S. company with government contracts sets up a U.S.-based psychological data farming operation.

Really fucking cool place though, gonna be sad to see it go.
You don't know what data they have based on how effective their recommendations are, as recommendations are usually just built on "users who liked X liked Y, therefore if you like X, we give you Y" and don't necessarily involve scraping data.
In the grand pantheon of how effective social media platforms are at building user profiles, TikTok definitely sits close to the middle tier based on my experiences running advertising campaigns on the platform and actually trying to target specific user groups. Facebook is by far the most effective, to the point where they will basically handle the entire campaign for you since they know so much about their users.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So all these national security and spying scares are just a front for Zuckerberg to make some more $$$
I think it's part of it.
I think Trump want to ban tik tok because they made fun of him there, silicon valley want to kneecap competition like they always do, and Mike Pompeo want to ban all chinese tech from the US because cold war. That's enough of a coalition to get it done.