• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Click not interested, skip the videos. I don't know what to tell you except that you're clearly stopping to watch long enough to check the comments, so you're engaging.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Conspiracy TikTok is the most dangerous and dumbest parts of TikTok. The amount of stupid af theories that get hundreds of thousands of upvotes is crazy. I've now seen videos of people being cautious of all vaccines now, and it's crazy dangerous the amount of young people that have access to this app.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Why are some people getting so defensive about tiktok? It's not everyone's jam, it's cool.

OP
OP
Raiden

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
100%. Don't engage with content you don't like, but absolutely do engage with content you do. A simple like is enough.

Yeah it definitely needs this. Instagram has this and it works great.
Oh man. But i love to hatewatch as well
Unrelated to TikTok, but I once saw a facebook post from someone seriously arguing that clouds go behind the sun. That proves the earth is flat. Their proof? A video of some thin clouds going in front of the sun during a sunset. They were trying to claim that since you couldn't see the cloud in front of the sun, that was proof that the clouds were infact, behind it.

Never mind that the clouds in question were thin and whispy. Nor that the sun is an order of magnitued brighter than those clouds were in the sky.
I know this exact same guy on Tik Tok, he is definitely the craziest one of the bunch. Believes clouds are behind the sun like you said, believes the elites are feeding on baby blood, and also that McDonald's is using little babies for their meat. Doesn't believe space is real.

Okay I found my problem, i love to hatewatch these people and engage in comments.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see food, lots of food. Anti-work/work from home content. Chicago food and apartments. I am seeing big booty women in bikinis despite not subscribing or liking any of them(I swear). Lately, I've been seeing dog and cat videos.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

I know this exact same guy on Tik Tok, he is definitely the craziest one of the bunch. Believes clouds are behind the sun like you said, believes the elites are feeding on baby blood, and also that McDonald's is using little babies for their meat. Doesn't believe space is real.

Okay I found my problem, i love to hatewatch these people and engage in comments.
DUDE

lol

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Why are some people getting so defensive about tiktok? It's not everyone's jam, it's cool.
I don't think anyone is getting defensive.

It's just the algorithm is really good on there, and if you're getting content you dislike, maybe look into the content you consume outside of tiktok or the people you associate with.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
If you're hate-watching it, the more TikTok will recommend it to you. Maybe that's what's going on?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I dislike about TikTok is how many shit dating takes I'm forced to see from literally everyone. I thought at least someone would be reasonable but LOL nope, everyone in their mid-20s and early 30s are in fact dumb. Makes me wanna quit the dating game.

Also, the fact that being on it for 30 minutes can often turn into three hours. But other than that, my TikTok is full of...uhm....nerd stuff and things I refuse to elaborate on here lol.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm that old, that I had to Google Fyp...guess I'll just stick to Twitter, which can be worse enough at times. Why do I keep looking at comments on social media.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I started a new account recently and it was pretty funny seeing the algorithm just desperately trying to guess what I am interested in. Some of it was a little odd, but it was mostly just, like, pet videos and odd dances.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use TikTok but I get sucked into watching YouTube shorts every evening which are mostly just tiktok reposts. I basically only get:
3 food vloggers who just eat stuff or cook
1 forklift mechanic who makes fun of weird tool advertisements
A couple of science channels that just do basic experiments, mostly with vacuum chambers.

I guess those are my primary interests. Food, bad tools, and vacuums.

Last edited:

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I don't think anyone is getting defensive.

It's just the algorithm is really good on there, and if you're getting content you dislike, maybe look into the content you consume outside of tiktok or the people you associate with.

I dunno, it seemed like 'your engagement with the video, even to dunk on it, is what's causing the videos to pop up' was more helpful than 'if you see shitty videos then you're a shitty person' :p

It's not a good idea to 'hatewatch' or consume videos just to make fun of them. You're still supporting them and helping them get money, sponsors, recommendations, engagement, etc. You're helping to make their viewpoints seen by more people. There are already organizations who track what's being said and debunking them.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes watch re-uploads on Youtube Shorts. Do not engage with TikTok directly at all.

And I fully admit it's total brain rot. But training the algorithm to not be full of total garbage means there's occasionally interesting stuff to watch.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
First time I created an account, it suggested videos to me of some trashy looking older woman dancing "sexy" or attempting to and singing along to current music. Ended up realizing it was my 40 something year old stepsister.

Jul 1, 2020
TikTok threads are always the best honeypot for the boomers of the forum.
Another thing I notice in the TikTok discourse by people who don't use it or are resistant to it is that they talk about the Chinese government doing this and that with the data but ignore or fail to realize that western governments have similar jurisdiction over any data held on any server in their respective territories.

I didn't understand it at first but after using it for a while I think it is the platform that serves me the most content that I actually want to engage with. YouTube does an ok job but is pretty insistent about me watching content from channels that I don't care about and categories I don't care about.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I just use TikTok to watch stupid/silly entertainment. I can't believe people will actually "learn" anything from it.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I read that as TikTok is Soul Training and thought it was some kind of retro dance challenge.

Jul 1, 2020
I just use TikTok to watch stupid/silly entertainment. I can't believe people can actually "learn" anything from it.
I found some TikTok creators that focus on IT and have learned multiple things like how to import data into Excel from any website with a data table and a service/chrome extension that will automatically create step by step documentation based on you just doing the thing.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Tiktok is great. It's Day 19 of No Poop July so we're just getting warmed up.

My whole feed is comedy, cooking, comedy about bad cooking, and the occasional thirst trap.

As a general PSA, Tiktok hasn't been a predominately teen app for a long time now. Half of my feed is older people with comment sections that are clearly written by millenials and not Gen Z. You can tell based on whether people use "😂" or "💀". Also Gen Z ends every comment with "fr" or "ong".

It's a dangerous app though because you can lose a few hours without realizing it. It's like the MMO/Civilization game version of YouTube with the time warp and everything.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Even though there are legitimate reasons to dislike Tiktok, all people ever do is complain about kids dancing or batshit trends/conspiracies being spread on there.

Anyone who has actually used Tiktok for more than like, an hour, knows just how specific the algorithm can get and that if it keeps showing you videos with stuff you do not like, you're either using the app wrong or lying. The only people I believe when it comes to the app forcing stuff they don't like on them are people who get stuck on a specific countrys for you page, because that happened to me a few months ago and it was annoying as hell.