• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
But you still place him as better(or less horrifying) than Carole because of the husband murder theory?
In the absence of not knowing just how many cats Antel euthanized (which might make him more horifying in the end), Carole possibly actually getting away with murder and living a life of running a tourist trap is a bit of a horrifying thought.

I'm absolutely ready to accept Antel being worse as more stuff does continue to come out about him.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda think the "craziness" of this documentary was a bit overblown tbqh. Besides Joe's bizarre sexlife, nothing made me go "wow". But at least I got a few chuckles. Fuck Carole for the bad shape of her zoo, though.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda think the "craziness" of this documentary was a bit overblown tbqh. Besides Joe's bizarre sexlife, nothing made me go "wow". But at least I got a few chuckles.
The guy in Miami admitted to at least watching his goons murder and dismember an FBI informant.

Doc Antel and Joe whatever use their cats to get sex with women. Doc seems to employ them and had them sleep in cages or dens, kind of like the animals he abused.

Carol might have murdered her husband in plain sight and gotten away with it.

And Joe ran for POTUS and then governor of OK.

Dude its pretty fucking crazy.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
The "if it makes you feel better" is oddly antagonistic. I disagree with seeing Doc as the least horrifying and asked about it.
I was just responding to your post asking someone else how they ranked these psychos.

Not trying to be dick (and sorry if I came off that way).

But they are all pieces of shit. I wouldn't even argue too much if someone though Carol is probably the least shitty of all of them, but thats just not great company to be in.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The "if it makes you feel better" is oddly antagonistic. I disagree with seeing Doc as the least horrifying and asked about it.
And I don't mind being questioned on that. I honestly went from briefly thinking Antel was the one non-horrifying big cat owner in the series to very quickly thinking he was also horrifying the more they got into him, while I did get a tad bit more sympathetic to Carole.

And again, I think Carole's stuff is more horrifying on the surface right now, but it looks like we already know the possible worst about her, while Doc is clearly going to only just have more stuff come out about him that makes him more of a nightmare.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst ones are clearly the people who are selling cats illegally which is like most of them. And the Cub petting people like. Like in no way is Carol the worst one.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Carole is exponentially less horrible than the men. The reason why the hate on her is escalated is because her douchebaggery is underneath the surface, unlike the rest.

No way does she compare to Doc, Jeff, Tim, or Joe. Murder or no murder.
I mean, if she murdered her husband, she doesn't compare to the others, but not for the reason you think.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
The fact that constant death threats are nothing until handing someone else money is crazy. I know that's not the weird part of this show but still.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
The guy in Miami admitted to at least watching his goons murder and dismember an FBI informant.

Doc Antel and Joe whatever use their cats to get sex with women. Doc seems to employ them and had them sleep in cages or dens, kind of like the animals he abused.

Carol might have murdered her husband in plain sight and gotten away with it.

And Joe ran for POTUS and then governor of OK.

Dude its pretty fucking crazy.
Looks like I have to rewatch this, 'cause a lot of those must've flew past my head lol

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that constant death threats are nothing until handing someone else money is crazy. I know that's not the weird part of this show but still.
There is a smidge of dark humor in that the government refused to do anything about the death threats Carole was receiving until money was exchanged (never mind the snake incident, which you'd think would have been cause enough for them to do something) when Don was similarly denied a restraining order against Carole because he didn't have more than words to go on either.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
There is a smidge of dark humor in that the government refused to do anything about the death threats Carole was receiving until money was exchanged (never mind the snake incident, which you'd think would have been cause enough for them to do something) when Don was similarly denied a restraining order against Carole because he didn't have more than words to go on either.

I don't know how you fix that. The fundamental issue is a prosecutor isn't going to want to justify it to their boss (or a DA to the taxpayers) for bringing charges that they 100% can't win. And when these threats are just speech between two drunk/high idiots, they can pretty easily just say "we didn't mean it, we were just exaggerating over some beers."

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you fix that. The fundamental issue is a prosecutor isn't going to want to justify it to their boss (or a DA to the taxpayers) for bringing charges that they 100% can't win. And when these threats are just speech between two drunk/high idiots, they can pretty easily just say "we didn't mean it, we were just exaggerating over some beers."
The snake incident does make that a little weirder. If Carole isn't misleading what happened there, that's something you'd think she'd be able to either pin directly on him or at least get the police to investigate once they saw that he was doing videos about shipping her snakes, only for her to actually get snakes in the mail.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The snake incident does make that a little weirder. If Carole isn't misleading what happened there, that's something you'd think she'd be able to either pin directly on him or at least get the police to investigate once they saw that he was doing videos about shipping her snakes, only for her to actually get snakes in the mail.

I'm sure she called the cops. But I doubt they had any evidence it was Joe, and you can't act on his other threats based on a crime you can't pin on him. Something the doc could've done better with is to repeatedly highlight Joe and Carole's locations. It's actually pretty hard to get from Oklahoma to Florida without getting tracked in some kinda way (traffic cams, gas stations, etc...).

It's a tough crime/situation to get sorted.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the first few episodes of this. All kinds of fucked up but seriously entertaining. If you told me it was a mockumentary I'd believe it.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I obviously love "I Saw a Tiger" and it's of course a banger, but I've also been hooked on this one.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly think the layout of this really sold it
Joe does bad thing(intro)->start at beginning and make Joe look 'likeable' -> introduce people that look progressively worse than Joe -> "nah, Joe wasn't so bad he just got pushed and cornered into a meltdown"->
Nope Joe was always bad and just fell further

Like you legitimately know the dude is bad but when you get to all his people turning on him at court you kinda feel a bit bad.
Same with him basically being setup

Crazy how investing and intriguing it is.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I've only watched episode one, but literally everyone interviewed in the show so far is like a real life Venture Bros villain, so I can't wait to finish this.
FUCK! While watching this thing, I KNEW that one guy reminded me of someone.

3247343-tumblr_mr2k7pplts1qc615wo1_400.png
=
james-garretson-tiger-king-1585080770103.jpg

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It is fascinating to me that almost all the murder shit happened several years into this documentary's filming. They started in 2014!

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It is fascinating to me that almost all the murder shit happened several years into this documentary's filming. They started in 2014!

Thats one of the best things about this show. It was being filmed as all this crazy shit was happening. Not like other Netflix docs where they make it after the fact and have to interview people about past events.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats one of the best things about this show. It was being filmed as all this crazy shit was happening. Not like other Netflix docs where they make it after the fact and have to interview people about past events.
Icarus is also like this, where the filmmakers set out to make one thing and then stumble into something much bigger.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys really trying to argue/place a hierarchy on who is the shittiest person? C'mon now. Every single person featured is guilty as fuck of a myriad of things, and every single one is a narcissistic piece of human trash. There are no good people here. And there are certainly no legitimate animal rights advocates.

Which of course is what makes it so deeply compelling and entertaining.

Oct 27, 2017
So I've decided to watch this and see "Limited Series" and wondering if it's just temporarily available or is this what a show with a small amount of episodes or one not getting another season is labled?

But my main concern after watching the setup is.... this guy isn't getting any money from this is he? I see above that I guess the guy is still in prison but didn't know that coming into the thread. Don't like the idea of glorifying his misdeeds and him making money off of them is all.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Ok started watching this a few hours ago, just finished episode 3 and fucking hell this is a wild ride, so much fuckery is afoot. Who the fuck are these people, they are all insane.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm at work and I binged the whole series and just looked up a podcast. Thing is littered with 1 Star reviews, I guess all the episodes were free up until this documentary blew up so now they've been charging for it or something?

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I loved the series but it's sad this begin as a documentary on Tom Crutchfield and it switched gears, because holy hell, is Tom a character asveekk. Hopefully they do a follow up series using some of the nut ass reptile breeders, those dudes make Tiger breeders look sane.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
So I've decided to watch this and see "Limited Series" and wondering if it's just temporarily available or is this what a show with a small amount of episodes or one not getting another season is labled?

IIRC, it's Netflix labelling for a series that's a one-and-done, rather than one that is planned for renewal/already has further seasons due to come to Netflix later.

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC, it's Netflix labelling for a series that's a one-and-done, rather than one that is planned for renewal/already has further seasons due to come to Netflix later.
Thanks, that sounded right when I was thinking out loud.

Watched most of the first ep before my son came into the room. I struggled finding the remote to pause when he was shooting the dynamite. Thankfully just a smoke cloud was paused on screen when he came in. Pretty fascinating and I may restart to watch with my wife once we finish Locke and Key together.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So was Making A Murderer though. Point is, at the end of the day, if the ratings are there and there is more story to tell, they will make more.

Nov 2, 2017
So was Making A Murderer though. Point is, at the end of the day, if the ratings are there and there is more story to tell, they will make more.

I think the hard part about making a follow-up season of this could be in gaining such intimate access to these people again. It took the makers of this series years of contact with some of these notoriously very private exotic animal breeders to gain enough trust to get the footage we saw (assisted by Joe's penchant for documenting his life on film), and at least some of them have expressed quite some displeasure in how they were portrayed. Not sure they'd be able to ingratiate themselves with these folks in the same way again.

Then again, some of these folks are so narcissistic that maybe any publicity is good publicity. Joe certainly seems happy with the attention.

Oct 27, 2017
Before reading the posts about his imprisonment, my thought process and original framing of the question was gonna ask if it was limited to "limit" monetary flow to this guy as I assumed it was a doc "for" him, not necessarily about the underlying dirt on him and the industry and that the imprisonment was current. Thought that was just part of his history and he got out early and this doc was his tale.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the hard part about making a follow-up season of this could be in gaining such intimate access to these people again. It took the makers of this series years of contact with some of these notoriously very private exotic animal breeders to gain enough trust to get the footage we saw (assisted by Joe's penchant for documenting his life on film), and at least some of them have expressed quite some displeasure in how they were portrayed. Not sure they'd be able to ingratiate themselves with these folks in the same way again.

Then again, some of these folks are so narcissistic that maybe any publicity is good publicity. Joe certainly seems happy with the attention.

See, I'm wondering if they really even need much more direct access to them? What I mean is, this doc was shot from what, 2014-2018/2019? That's years of footage and interviews. They probably edited down several thousand hours of footage to a 7 hour package. I'm guessing there's lots of stuff that wasnt used for time constraints or that didnt directly propel Joe's narrative that could be revisited for this.

Or they could just bet on everyone signing up again because theres no such thing as bad publicity.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, one of the most interesting things about the show is all of the people being carny scum, without realizing they are carny scum. They all think the way they do things is right and all their competitors are wrong.

They probably just need to say 'we will make another season and you can say whatever you want' and they will all end up exposing themselves as carny trash almost immediately anyway.

Deleted member 28474

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, he fed their addictions to the point they were totally reliant on him. He is a predator and a piece of shit.