• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA

So Machine Gun Kelly's newest album just dropped. I know just a couple songs from his discography but heard the album was his take on all the Pop-Punk that inspired him.

Travis Barker drums throughout and helped produce, and he has some awesome guest singers like Halsey

I genuinely really love the album. Feels right at home with the music that I grew up listening to and MGK really captures this sound and style really well.

Anyone else listen yet? What are your favorite tracks?

If you want more punk than pop-punk:

Last edited:

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
i absolutely despise MGK's music but have been weirdly into the track he had on the new tony hawk soundtrack. if the whole album has that pop punk vibe i'll def check it out

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Bloody Valentine and Concert for Aliens are great. I haven't heard the rest but excited to give it a go

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't sound that bad. My first experience with him was with the linkin park tribute show for chester, and I wasn't impressed but I didn't hate it either. A punk pop sound seems decently fitting for him.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't bad at all.

I only know MGK from the eminem diss track and some other rap shit. DIdn't think too much of him. But this is impressive.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
finally gave this a listen. found myself pleasantly surprised at how many tracks I genuinely fucked with. that said, as a whole the whole thing is pretty repetitive and most of the songs sound extremely similar. like kiss kiss and bloody valentine sound almost identical

forget me too i think is my favorite one of the bunch. halsey bringing the paramore vibes hard

MrPoppins

Oct 27, 2017
Silicon Valley - CA
It's surprisingly one of the best pop-punk albums in years. Travis's influence definitely permeates and it takes my back to my early Blink fandom days. MGK can be easy target for people to hate on but no denying that dude is a multifaceted talent. Always crack up when he pops up in some random movie now and then too and demonstrates decent acting chops.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Checked this out last night, I don't have much experience with MGK's usual stuff but am a huge Travis/blink fan and hearing the drums come in on title track I knew I was going to enjoy this. Travis is the fucking bomb, this album is a lot of fun.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I only know MGK because he played Tommy Lee in the Motley Crue movie lol

I checked out Bloody Valentine and it's not bad. I wish it veered a little more to the punk side than pop. It's catchy but sterile.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Going off the two tracks in the OP, it doesn't seem bad but it's not particularly inspired. Musically there's not really anything interesting going on beyond Travis Barker Travis Barkering.

Halsey completely upstages MGK on forget me too imo. MGK is kind of delivering the verses like a rapper but he never really emotes all that much so the first chorus kind of sounds like a bored karaoke version of the second one.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
This album is the surprise pop-punk banger of 2020. Concert For Aliens feels like it was ripped right off of Enema of The State/Take Off Your Pants and Jacket and I'm here for it.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Machine gun kelly is wwe theme entrance theme quality. I base this on WWE constantly boasting about him every chance they get. Pass.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Mgk said on twitter he's putting out the deluxe edition tomorrow. According to fans there were 3 songs recorded with Yungblud and one with The Used so I imagine those will be part of this.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
getting Bloody Valentine on the Tony Hawk soundtrack will be doing him wonders. The song fit right in with the rest of that amazing soundtrack. There any good pop-punk albums this year?

OP
OP
TolerLive

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
It's surprisingly one of the best pop-punk albums in years. Travis's influence definitely permeates and it takes my back to my early Blink fandom days. MGK can be easy target for people to hate on but no denying that dude is a multifaceted talent. Always crack up when he pops up in some random movie now and then too and demonstrates decent acting chops.
I just finished The King of Staten Island like 5 minutes ago. Didnt know he had a cameo in it!

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Deluxe is out on streaming now, still missing his other songs he played for people with Yungblud but maybe they're saving that for a joint project or ep or something. I can see why the tracks didn't make the album would've ruined the flow but here's the one with The Used and Yungblud which is good IMO.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I only know of him from Crue's biopic, but this ain't bad. Fun and energetic.

digitalsea

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
getting Bloody Valentine on the Tony Hawk soundtrack will be doing him wonders. The song fit right in with the rest of that amazing soundtrack. There any good pop-punk albums this year?

Neck Deep as mentioned by the poster before me. If you don't mind your pop-punk to be a bit on the heavier side, Four Year Strong released an absolute ripper of an album as well, with some cool grunge influences. Haven't taken the time to give the new New Found Glory record a good shake yet, but it seemed good at first listen.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Neck Deep as mentioned by the poster before me. If you don't mind your pop-punk to be a bit on the heavier side, Four Year Strong released an absolute ripper of an album as well, with some cool grunge influences. Haven't taken the time to give the new New Found Glory record a good shake yet, but it seemed good at first listen.
Thanks for the recommendation. Been going back and listening to some "The Used" and Jimmy Eat World but I'm always down for some new recommendations. Thanks as well b3llydrum

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
Not really following this year, but in terms of bands wise you should definitely check out The Wonder Years. Probably the best pop punk band out there the last couple of years.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for the recommendation. Been going back and listening to some "The Used" and Jimmy Eat World but I'm always down for some new recommendations. Thanks as well b3llydrum
As for the Used, their first two albums are their peak in my opinion. I think In Love and Death is the pinnacle of their sound and creativity. Everything after that is weirdly commercial and not nearly as cohesive and unique as their first two albums.

You really can't go wrong with jimmy eat world.

My favorite pop punk album of the past decade is "Under Soil and Dirt" by The Story So Far. Perfect album in my opinion.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I LOVE this album. Thought it was fantastic. I've listened to it numerous times. Was such a throwback.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
How the hell is this MGK's best album? Listened to it yesterday and it blows everything else he ever did outta the water, with the exception of his last collab with Yungblud.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
It's crazy to me, because I find MGK's voice rather annoying, but I can't stop listening to this one. Tbh I can't even name an MGK song before this album. One of then most enjoyable albums I've listened to in years.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017

You failed to mention dogleg. They put out the best album in general of the year so far.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As for the Used, their first two albums are their peak in my opinion. I think In Love and Death is the pinnacle of their sound and creativity. Everything after that is weirdly commercial and not nearly as cohesive and unique as their first two albums.

My favorite pop punk album of the past decade is "Under Soil and Dirt" by The Story So Far. Perfect album in my opinion.

"Life's Not Out to Get You" by Neck Deep is right there with USAD.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a pop punk connoisseur, most of his lyrics are pretty shallow even for the genre. That Halsey track slaps hard though.

6/10 good effort .

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Bloody Valentine popped up on my recommended, and I'm mid-way in and I'm like "wtf is this?" thinking I somehow missed a banger of a Blink song like 20 years ago. I literally had to take a triple take at the artist, then Google'd to see if it was that MGK.

Needless to say, Bloody Valentine might be my surprise favorite song of the whole year.

Rest of the album outside of the Halsey track is a bit ... more of the same? It's pretty repetitive and the lyrics are average... but the sound is on point and gets closer to that pop punk sound I adore than anything else I've come across the last few years.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Bloody Valentine popped up on my recommended, and I'm mid-way in and I'm like "wtf is this?" thinking I somehow missed a banger of a Blink song like 20 years ago. I literally had to take a triple take at the artist, then Google'd to see if it was that MGK.

Needless to say, Bloody Valentine might be my surprise favorite song of the whole year.

Rest of the album outside of the Halsey track is a bit ... more of the same? It's pretty repetitive and the lyrics are average... but the sound is on point and gets closer to that pop punk sound I adore than anything else I've come across the last few years.
just wanted to pop in and say goddamn this is how I feel about MGK now, theyre playing a lot of MGK on the alt radio station now.

this album really nails that early 2000 vibes that I loved.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Sorry for the bump but I was curious to see if there was a thread on this here.

Definitely one of the best pop punk albums in a long time. Shame this year turned out as it did and he can't tour on it. A big tour on this album could really do good things for the scene.

The Used put out an album this year that's their best since Artwork. Definitely reminiscent of In Love and Death.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Sorry for the bump but I was curious to see if there was a thread on this here.

Definitely one of the best pop punk albums in a long time. Shame this year turned out as it did and he can't tour on it. A big tour on this album could really do good things for the scene.

The Used put out an album this year that's their best since Artwork. Definitely reminiscent of In Love and Death.
Damn, I'll have to check that out if it's truly reminiscent of In Love and Death. I wasn't a fan of Artwork - I thought some songs were catchy in parts, and I appreciated the much more cohesive sound especially after the previous one, but I'm still rooting for them.

Honestly the sharp and heavy production style of Jon Feldmann is what did it for me. Their heavy post-hardcore sound with the pingy snares and metallic guitars (see Sound Effects and Overdramatics) was god tier

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Damn, I'll have to check that out if it's truly reminiscent of In Love and Death. I wasn't a fan of Artwork - I thought some songs were catchy in parts, and I appreciated the much more cohesive sound especially after the previous one, but I'm still rooting for them.

Honestly the sharp and heavy production style of Jon Feldmann is what did it for me. Their heavy post-hardcore sound with the pingy snares and metallic guitars (see Sound Effects and Overdramatics) was god tier
Oh man I love Artwork. Super poppy songs cased in disgusting grit. There isn't another album like it in the whole scene IMO.

So Heartwork (the new album) definitely a good payoff for rooting for them. It's definitely a cleaner sound (not as clean as Vulnerable) but it feels inspired as ILAD did. There's one song called Obvious Blase that feels very much like Taste of Ink. Travis Barker drums on it and Mark Hoppus is on another one called Lighthouse which rules. First two tracks are amazing; Blow Me is one of my top 5 favorite Used songs now and Paradise Lost is a great opener. Definitely give it a shot.