• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
E8i97Of.gif

I noticed Thymesia when it popped up a month or so ago on Twitter but it hasn't gotten much traction so far which is a shame, it looks pretty amazing! This recent video showing off an "elite enemy" encounter especially stands out:

Some videos from last year:

Note that the game is developed by a small Taiwanese team so you have to give the following text a bit of leeway (taken from their Facebook page, no Steam listing) but here's the pitch for Thymesia.

"The truth may never lay within our hearts. Tales about those who have self-awakened are fallacies."

Intro
《Thymesia : 記憶邊境 》a 3D action role-playing PC game. Combination of realistic aesthetic style and with the atmosphere of the darkness in medieval times rendered with deadly feelings that present to the players an over and beyond game experience.
In a way, players could create their own playstyle, by its absolutely smooth and delicate combat feedback, possibilities in action and controls along with comprehensive skill tree sets. Players could strategize freely and felt the optimal gaming experience.

There's a myth about a town that kept Pandemic antidote...the King sent a secret to retrieve the care from the town where no one has ever stepped on the forbidden/dangerous land. One day, the secret found this mysterious map which leads him to the unknown.
"Malice Striker" shivering echoes through his ears..., pieces by pieces, together, the intricated lore has begun.

Features
The realistic aesthetic design of real darkness in which situated people in horror scenario moments.

Stunning detailed design in battle scenes featuring various combat feedbacks for the optimal gaming experience.

A variety and dynamic "Skill System" that brings out the differential battle style of different players.

Death is no longer a punishment but a path to unearthing the truth.

Also, they're planning a PC-only (at first) global launch but no specific date at the moment.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
E8i97Of.gif

I noticed Thymesia when it popped up a month or so ago on Twitter but it hasn't gotten much traction so far which is a shame, it looks pretty amazing! This recent video showing off an "elite enemy" encounter especially stands out:

Some videos from last year:

Note that the game is developed by a small Taiwanese team so you have to give the following text a bit of leeway (taken from their Facebook page, no Steam listing) but here's the pitch for Thymesia.

Also, they're planning a PC-only (at first) global launch but no specific date at the moment.

The gif you posted is everything wrong with all these Souls ripoffs. I honestly dunno how you think that looks good lol.

The only dev that was able to have good combat other than Fromsoft is Team Ninja.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The gif you posted is everything wrong with all these Souls ripoffs. I honestly dunno how you think that looks good lol.

The only dev that was able to have good combat other than Fromsoft is Team Ninja.

Just down to personal taste, but there's a fast cadence to the movement that I appreciate. Then again, I adored Ashen and I know some folk had issues with how combat felt there.

I suppose I'm not a particularly good judge in this space haha.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I mean for a small team it's pretty impressive but to me a Souls game should aim for more than just satisfying looking combat and harder difficulty.

It should have good/great level with a intriguing looking world that makes me wanna explore it and discover its secrets. It's an aspect that seems ignored way too often which is why I gave up on the Surge 2 after 20 hours of gameplay for example despite enjoying the great combat.

So far I've never seen anyone come close to what From Software does with their world and enemies design.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with making a soulslike is that you need enemy variety.

That requires substantial animation work, which is hard to come by in a small studio

Oct 25, 2017
I think this looks excellent as a combat system demo. It has the kinetic qualities of a good action game, great animations, and decent hit feedback.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It should have good/great level with a intriguing looking world that makes me wanna explore it and discover its secrets. It's an aspect that seems ignored way too often which is why I gave up on the Surge 2 after 20 hours of gameplay for example despite enjoying the great combat.

This is part of the reason why I loved Ashen so much; I had such a great time exploring its environments.

HJHJ

Oct 28, 2017

Would you mind explaining what you feel is wrong in that gif? What quality is it lacking that Fromsoft or Team Ninja demonstrate?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you mind explaining what you feel is wrong in that gif? What quality is it lacking that Fromsoft or Team Ninja demonstrate?

Yeah, it's weird to single that gif out, it looks pretty impressive to me, especially in comparison to other attempts at the genre.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Movements, animation, visual cues and most importantly attacks do not have weight. If you played a lot of Nipponese games like Souls or MonHun you will notice the difference. It's not just that a new small indie studio will get all the nuances and refinements right of the established studios, but Nipponese devs are clearly just better than everyone else when it comes to melee combat. There used to be a Gamasutra article about the mindset and process of making Nipponese combat and gameplay and why it usually feels so snappy and responsive but can't seem to find it.

HJHJ

Oct 28, 2017
Movements, animation, visual cues and most importantly attacks do not have weight. If you played a lot of Nipponese games like Souls or MonHun you will notice the difference. It's not just that a new small indie studio will get all the nuances and refinements right of the established studios, but Nipponese devs are clearly just better than everyone else when it comes to melee combat. There used to be a Gamasutra article about the mindset and process of making Nipponese combat and gameplay and why it usually feels so snappy and responsive but can't seem to find it.
I'm sorry but I don't see how the animations lack weight. The player character while using a fast weapon still has strong pauses/framing between each attack to emphasize speed and power, similar to Bloodborne's Blades of Mercy:

The enemy uses nothing but heavy swings, with plenty of anticipation frames with quick follow through to sell the power if it's attacks. E.g. The two preparatory short hops to gather momentum before the leaping attack or the short pause pause after struggling to lift the sword before it comes slamming down.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry but I don't see how the animations lack weight. The player character while using a fast weapon still has strong pauses/framing between each attack to emphasize speed and power, similar to Bloodborne's Blades of Mercy:

The enemy uses nothing but heavy swings, with plenty of anticipation frames with quick follow through to sell the power if it's attacks. E.g. The two preparatory short hops to gather momentum before the leaping attack or the short pause pause after struggling to lift the sword before it comes slamming down.
yeah but it wasnt made in japan so uh its automatically bad, sorry i win bye bye

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Looks impressive, but I'm somewhat let down by the title. I expected more meat in my Meat Souls.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

But they're not Nipponese devs so what do they know about melee combat, casual Western plebs!

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
The way enemies are going at you in this reminds me more of Team Ninja than From Soft. Looks more like Ni-oh than a Souls game (which is fine).

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Game most def looks good for a clone. Look forward to seeing more of this.

There are weebs, there are people that go out of their way to study there just to get a local gf, there are cultural experts, there are vtubers pretending to live in Akihabara and apparently there are Nipponese gaming virtuosos.
Tell me I'm missing some joke and the needle haven't moved this much.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Nice. I missed this thread initially. Following them on Twitter now.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I missed this thread initially. Could be good, but that's one hell of a shameless Souls/Bloodborne rip-off...
And now:

Dat Sekiro rip off lol

I mean, it might still be a great game and I hope it succeeds, but this game is pretty shameless, let's be real.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
hope they go beyond the combat inspiration and have a great sense of exploration, danger and a cool storytelling. looks interesting.

I missed this thread initially. Could be good, but that's one hell of a shameless Souls/Bloodborne rip-off...
And now:

Dat Sekiro rip off lol

I mean, it might still be a great game and I hope it succeeds, but this game is pretty shameless, let's be real.

after beating and loving Sekiro i wondered how long until we would start to see the "sekirolike" games, this one is preeetty blatant.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
This looks pretty good, especially for such a small team. The Sekiro-style parry vid is a bit of a downer, they should try to keep things fresh considering the previous vids already looked so similar to Bloodborne's Blade of Mercy. That said, I do love Sekiro, and that style of combat isn't being done elsewhere. It would be great if it were a specific weapon feature.

Team17 Publishing, New trailer
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.