• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
This show was fucking excellent.

Suspense!

Grandeur!

Bizarre human conveyance contraptions.....

Regardless, Thunderbirds is incredible and sits on the throne of greatest television cinema.

Oct 28, 2017
rwvgwqeoe4.gif

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Loved that show.

I remember AMC or some other channel would have marathons where they'd had fun factoids appear at the bottom of the screen.

Did any if the dvd/Bluray releases include that as an option?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The puppet shows was oddly engrossing. Except for Joe 90, the premise is too fucked up

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Dammit. 90s Australian comedy was gold. Curse you, ABC.
d_generationfkpz0.png

On a more serious note, not enough people know about Thunderbirds 1965. A project where filmmakers took audio drama recordings and turned them into three full fledged Thunderbirds episodes. They painstakingly recreated the original sets and props and puppets.
945f3852962e3ad12c85e74qx5.jpg

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
so, I just checked the news and I didn't see anything about the T-birds. So are they go or nah?

don't start a thread like that if the Thunderbirds are not actually Go.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
I think I still have the box set on DVD somewhere.

God I loved this show so much as a kid.

The live action movie was kind of meh, but the scene where they have a few frames of Marionette animation always made me choke up a bit.

Nollemaster

Oct 27, 2017
I got to know this show this show as a kid because my dad still had some of the old toys. Launching the Thunderbird 2 from the inclined ramp off Tracy's Island was the coolest shit.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this show as a kid growing up in England, despite it being from my dad's time.

It was ahead of it's time! Swing wing aircraft (TB1), vertical take off/landing rockets and more are all just happening today (SpaceX)

Great show.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it as a kid.

I still remember the hype from Blue Peter doing the build your own Tracey Island.

DO NOT GOOGLE OR EVEN LOOK AT THE NEW THUNDERBIRDS!

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this show as a kid and I remember my parents bought me a toy set with metal versions of the Thunderbirds but honestly I remember almost nothing about the show.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I got to know this show this show as a kid because my dad still had some of the old toys. Launching the Thunderbird 2 from the inclined ramp off Tracy's Island was the coolest shit.

Yeah I loved the show as a kid but the toys even more. I have the island with the mini vehicles, the big Thunderbirds 1 & 2+4 and a bunch of figures.

ywvggG7.jpg

Best set.

Those launch sequences are still amazing. It's funny though how slow everything was back then. Each step in the process was shown in great detail, like the conveyor belt slowly moving towards container 3, or the bar with the seat retracting in the sequence for 3.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I went on holiday to Gambia in Africa once, and caught a small boat on a day trip to a smaller island that took a few hours. Got chatting to most of the other people on the boat, and this older guy told me how he used to be on the team that made all the miniatures for Thunderbirds.
He went on to make models for a few films too, and I asked him which was his favourite thinking he'd mention a film I'd never heard of....and he just casually said 'oh probably Alien'...... which is when I flipped out!

Spent the rest of the trip asking him questions, he basically said most of the thunderbirds guys were hired up to work on Alien for lots of interior miniature spaceship stuff. They were the 'go to' British team for a while apparently.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Thunderbirds was life for me as a kid.

If you didn't grow up and at least TRY and build that Tracy island set thanks to blue peter then you didn't have a childhood, as far as I'm concerned!!!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

Aw yeah!

My favourite toy as a kid was a replica of the Thunderbirds island with all the Thunderbirds and characters.

EDIT:
Yeah I loved the show as a kid but the toys even more. I have the island with the mini vehicles, the big Thunderbirds 1 & 2+4 and a bunch of figures.

ywvggG7.jpg

Best set.
Hell yes, this is the one I had, too <3

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
Did anybody ever watch the big budget live action film they did ages back?

If not, try and imagine loving something as a child, then seeing everything you enjoyed about it changed, ruined, removed or just wrong. Only thing it had going for it was confusing my penis into thinking I would shag Lady Penelope. I'll fetch you your Rolls you dirty posh girl...

Last edited:

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK

If not, try and imagine living something as a child, then seeing everything you enjoyed about it changed, ruined, removed or just wrong. Only thing it had going for it was confusing my penis into thinking I would shag Lady Penelope. I'll fetch you your Rolls you dirty posh girl...
It's a weird one for sure, very much 'of it's time'; directed by Johnathan Frakes of all people.

ddC4nh7.gif

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
when I was a young lad I'd watch it every day

I loved it :3

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

If not, try and imagine loving something as a child, then seeing everything you enjoyed about it changed, ruined, removed or just wrong. Only thing it had going for it was confusing my penis into thinking I would shag Lady Penelope. I'll fetch you your Rolls you dirty posh girl...

I actually grew up watching it, being very much of that generation of kids who caught the reruns in the 90s. I didn't quite realise what was off about it at the time, and admittedly ended up focusing on the visuals because hotdamn those redesigns were actually pretty great. The film at least understood the sense of the overly grandiose stock footage.

Been a while since I watched the new series, and while it was awkward in places, I did it find it well done in points as well. Again, mostly visuals - one sequence that sticks out to me is when Alan is goes on a spacewalk (long story, Thunderbird 5 got taken over by an AI) and there's some really cool tracking shots with the camera because it's all in space and so there's no real up or down, so it follows his path as he shifts orientation.

Honestly though part of what's made being a fan of the show interesting is slowly coming to understand its influence on another culture and its entertainment - specifically Japan's, and the development of mecha tropes. Mazinger Z rising from the swimming pool? Lifted from Thunderbird 1's launch sequence. Super Sentai (and thus, Power Rangers) took a lot of damned notes from Thunderbirds in realising how miniatures could be used to depict machines of a massive scale, and GoGoV (and thus, Lightspeed Rescue) in particular is a full on homage, with the show being rescue themed and centred around a single family of heroes, in the sentai version anyway. Seriously, look at this, and it's not hard to spot the DNA of Thunderbird 2 in there. Really, if you see some overly long and detailed launch sequence in a Japanese work of fiction that both pads for time and looks cool, you can thank Thunderbirds for that. Shoji Kawamori - of Macross fame - even repaid the favour by designing Thunderbird Shadow for the new show.

The legacy it has is honestly astonishing.

St. Alphonzo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

ywvggG7.jpg

Best set.

Those launch sequences are still amazing. It's funny though how slow everything was back then. Each step in the process was shown in great detail, like the conveyor belt slowly moving towards container 3, or the bar with the seat retracting in the sequence for 3.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show always made me wish Gerry Anderson had given the classic The War of the Worlds a stab in the same style.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I was a Thunderbirds fan as a kid and my classmate was a Captain Scarlet Kid. We used to have arguments about it on the bus to school lol. That being said the Stingray theme sticks in my head better.

Stingraaaay STINGRAY!