• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
abcnews.go.com

Venomous spiders prompt temporary Michigan library shutdown

Staff at a University of Michigan library temporarily closed the building after three venomous spiders turned up in a basement storage area

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Staff at a University of Michigan library temporarily closed the building after three venomous spiders turned up in a basement storage area.

The Mediterranean recluse spiders were found in late January in the Shapiro Undergraduate Library on the school's Ann Arbor campus. The library reopened Tuesday after being closed Sunday and treated Monday for spiders.

The spiders were not in any public spaces, said university spokeswoman Kim Broekhuizen, and staff closed the building due to a misunderstanding and out of an abundance of caution.

Bites by the spiders can cause problems ranging from minor skin irritation to tissue death, according to University of Michigan-Dearborn professor Anne Danielson-Francois, who identified an adult male spider that was caught in a glue trap at the library.

It's the spider's library now
Arachnophobia.gif

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Brown Recluse? They're pretty much harmless aren't they? As I understand it it's very rare to have a violent reaction to a bite.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure this is what really happed to the Library of Alexandria

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
That's a troll? That's a legitimate question. According to the Wikipedia page the Brown Recluse is pretty shy and most bites are relatively harmless.

Recluse bites are known to cause tissue necrosis, while very rarely fatal they will leave permanent damage where bitten if not treated quickly. They are far from harmless.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I get that, but it says the majority of the bites don't cause any symptoms at all.

The problem with recluse bites is that, when they do cause damage, the damage can be severe. Unlike most spiders where the bite causes some mild irritation at worst, recluse wounds can be both painful and longlasting.

EDIT: A family friend lost most of his hand to a particularly bad recluse bite.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but it says the majority of the bites don't cause any symptoms at all.

This isn't a statistic worth contemplating, its like saying "Only 3% of those bitten get killed" from another venomous animal. Recluse bites have roughly 10% chance of severe symptomatic reaction, unless we are talking allergy level where its so extremely rare to get any reaction from it anything over 1% is too big a chance inside a space where people constantly congregate, and 10% is way, way too high that people would have to be sent to the hospital just to get checked because there is so little time to treat a bite if they end up getting said reaction.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
The problem with recluse bites is that, when they do cause damage, the damage can be severe. Unlike most spiders where the bite causes some mild irritation at worst, recluse wounds can be both painful and longlasting.

EDIT: A family friend lost most of his hand to a particularly bad recluse bite.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I live in the NE so I never experienced them. There aren't a lot of venomous spiders here other than the occasional Black Widow.