• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1)
Developer: Square
Publisher: Square/Square Enix

s-l300.jpg

Unfortunately, I've never had the opportunity to play the full game. My memories of this game is actually from the old Pizza Hut Demo Discs way back. I played the demo rather religiously, and it was just amazingly fun. I loved throwing my sword around and absorbing enemies to gain their abilities. Paired with the charming graphics, a fantastic soundtrack and character designs, the whole thing was just very memorable to me. A really, really fun action RPG that I wish I could have the opportunity to play. If I recall correctly, I remember reading an article where someone from Square said they lost the source code for some of their games. Do you think Brave Fencer Musashi was one of them?

-

Mischief Makers (N64)
Developer: Treasure
Publisher: Nintendo

f32ca29b2486a87b524bec13f8ed2c57.jpg

I never owned this game, but I actually rented this game multiple times from my local Blockbuster when they were still around. It was such a unique side scroller that I couldn't help but keep renting it. The most memorable parts of this game, besides the obvious ''Shake Shake'' that Marina does, was the music. It was so bizarre yet, catchy and good. Some of the stage and character designs were so out there too, I loved it.

-

Silhouette Mirage (Sega Saturn/PS1)
Developer: Treasure
Publisher: Working Designs

Silhouette-Mirage-cover.jpg

I owned a copy of this game for the PS1. I never see anyone talk about it, or probably don't know that it exists. This game came out on the Sega Saturn, and was eventually ported to the PS1. Like Mischief Makers, this was also developed by Treasure. A side scroller with an interesting gimmick. Shyna, the character you play as, has two sides to her character. One side is called Silhouette and the other is Mirage. Silhouette is represented as the ''pink'' color where as Mirage is represented as the "purple'' color if I remember correctly, I might have them mixed. Enemies also had this mechanic, and you deal more damage by attacking with the opposite color. You do less, and take less by matching the color of the enemies or attacks. So essentially, think of it like Ikaruga in a way.

One thing I loved about Shyna was one of her moves reminded me of Marina from Mischief Makers. While Marina is known to "Shake" things, Shyna is known to ''Bam'' things.

The game also had different routes/endings the player could take which led to exclusive boss fights to that route. Also, if it weren't for this game, I wouldn't have bought Lunar 2 Eternal Blue Complete. With that said, I think this game was actually re-released on the Japanese PSN, 10 years ago. Sadly, I don't think that was ever released in the West.

Last edited:

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IIRC Silhouette Mirage's difficulty was changed for the NA release by Working Designs, for the worst.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I always wanted to play Brave Fencer Musashi, but never owned a PS1. There were a lot of cool action-adventure games on that thing.

Mischief Makers, though? Hell yeah I rented a copy for like a month from my local rental place, never renting from them again because of the late fee...
tumblr_p1cczse9D61r2d90eo1_400.gifv

Mischief Makers must return. Its too good to never be seen again. I never really understood the game at the time, but its sense of style and overwhelming charm made it one of the most unforgettable games I've ever played. Its bosses were all spectacular.

And y'know what? Bring these goofballs back while we're at it.
maxresdefault.jpg

...I wanna fight their megazord again.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Oh man Silhouette Mirage is like being hit by a ton of bricks. Forgot all about that game but now remember seeing it all the time in OPM during a time.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
For me itd be

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

I still play it and to this day it's in my top2 fighting games of all time. No port and no real hope of none largely due to both extreme technical and licensing difficulties involved. I dream of it returning in any manner.

Wizards and Warriors franchise
v2p_SVMyePLBhHT2oI-9yb0HrMb7aEX7qUxjgycHuOserXNXhq6kGy2i6lpPltRdjxJG41GlwZAQ06O43DanCabkQgbeD-33

I loved it as a kid. It was one of the biggest NES era franchises and one of Rare's first major successes. The third game ended on a cliffhanger with you sucked into a vortex after reassembling the IronSword and fighting Malkil and betrothed to like 3 women. Awesome good stage based platform, exploring, rpg action titles. Not truly a metroidvania but one of the titles that could've easily became one and done it well. It had platform shooter stuff, loot grinding for chests filled with new spells or items, rpg towns and shops as well as quests and even guilds and class based skills later, tons of hidden areas and large stages to open explore, one of the first with a true continue system as well as one of the first games to utilize equipment that changed your looks.

Castlevania

I know we got Bloodstained and all but I miss the original franchise as well. Konami killed the igarashi titles and sadlyords of shadow 2 instead of doin more stellar prerendered 3d with a few open area sections for tightly designed cinematic narrative went and tried to do full 3d stage design again in the sequel and screwed it up as bad as all the prior attempts by konami to do so. I like 3d stage design but if your middling to bad at it and your previous prerendered job stood out and was praised for being amazing then why toss it? So they killed one style and then failed to continue the next after starting over. I miss Castlevania being a top franchise to expect titles from every other year....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
For me itd be

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

I still play it and to this day it's in my top2 fighting games of all time. No port and no real hope of none largely due to both extreme technical and licensing difficulties involved. I dream of it returning in any manner.

Wizards and Warriors franchise
[Imghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/v2p_SVMyePLBhHT2oI-9yb0HrMb7aEX7qUxjgycHuOserXNXhq6kGy2i6lpPltRdjxJG41GlwZAQ06O43DanCabkQgbeD-33[/img]

I loved it as a kid. It was one of the biggest NES era franchises and one of Rare's first major successes. The third game ended on a cliffhanger with you sucked into a vortex after reassembling the IronSword and fighting Malkil and betrothed to like 3 women. Awesome good stage based platform, exploring, rpg action titles. Not truly a metroidvania but one of the titles that could've easily became one and done it well. It had platform shooter stuff, loot grinding for chests filled with new spells or items, rpg towns and shops as well as quests and even guilds and class based skills later, tons of hidden areas and large stages to open explore, one of the first with a true continue system as well as one of the first games to utilize equipment that changed your looks.

Castlevania

I know we got Bloodstained and all but I miss the original franchise as well. Konami killed the igarashi titles and sadlyords of shadow 2 instead of doin more stellar prerendered 3d with a few open area sections for tightly designed cinematic narrative went and tried to do full 3d stage design again in the sequel and screwed it up as bad as all the prior attempts by konami to do so. I like 3d stage design but if your middling to bad at it and your previous prerendered job stood out and was praised for being amazing then why toss it? So they killed one style and then failed to continue the next after starting over. I miss Castlevania being a top franchise to expect titles from every other year....

Yeah, there are quite a few games I'd love to see come back in some shape or form. I tried my best to narrow it down to the top three. I was struggling between Silhouette Mirage and Skygunner for my third. Honestly, if I re-titled my OP to the top four, then definitely Skygunner would be included.

DOHKowIUIAAExIb.jpg:large

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Xenosaga please. It's a disgrace that it has not been remade or remastered for modern consoles.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Xenosaga please. It's a disgrace that it has not been remade or remastered for modern consoles.

Xenogears/Xenosaga is definitely up there within my Top 10.

As much as I would love a remaster of the Xenosaga series, I don't think people would enjoy it very much. What I'd love to see is a re-imagining of the story that was supposed to be 6 games long or something like that.

Perhaps condensed and put into 1 game using a similar art style or design to KOS-MOS and T-elos found in Xenoblade 2.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
is this a clickbait title?

YES

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I would love to see a return of Black & White. I'm still surprised no one even tried to do at least a similar game with Creatures and town management as a godlike being.

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
- Fable 4
- No One Lives Forever 3
- A *true* Syndicate sequel, even though I enjoyed the FPS re imagining quite alot.

I am destined to be eternally disappointed.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Xenogears/Xenosaga is definitely up there within my Top 10.

As much as I would love a remaster of the Xenosaga series, I don't think people would enjoy it very much. What I'd love to see is a re-imagining of the story that was supposed to be 6 games long or something like that.

Perhaps condensed and put into 1 game using a similar art style or design to KOS-MOS and T-elos found in Xenoblade 2.

Or at least remake Xenosaga entirely by combining the three episodes into one large game. And use either Xenosaga Episode 1 or Episode 3's gameplay.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jazz Jackrabbit

lDbJF8UqFbtd1k__9QePZd81gpEgXcfdaFvOTR4B_ypkFyG8y2jh2OPoS6ioMyaO8voEXI1M1aaUSdm2XbKxM23HoTwHRfvONTF7HuZf9ry_OjAnys62flrP22MFhmdI3nlSrbtn

Because the 2nd installment is still one of the finest, most polished, most brilliant 2D platformers ever. Massive variety, fast-paced gameplay, fantastic level design, memorable music, lovely characters. The game got various expansions, it's being modded and has custom maps being done for to this day. Unfortunately Epic Games is making way too much money with Fortnite to bother with other projects, hence the fact they canned every other project they had going (RIP Paragon, RIP Unreal Tournament) so the chances of this actually happening are slim. But in today's indie scene they could easily outsource it to a talented dev. One can dream.

Quake

0000002450.1920x1080.jpg

This franchise isn't dead: last-gen it received a 4th installment, the game's multiplayer scene lived on in Quake Live which was a browser-compatible remake of Quake 3, we had a couple spin-offs and the online-only class-based Quake Champions is still alive - not particularly active but definitely playable. But this franchise sits in a weird spot because the first game had this dark fantasy theme, delivering an exciting campaign with portals, ungodly creatures, dark and creepy rooms and whatnot. Quake 2 delivered a similarly awesome campaign, but it was full-on sci-fi, it had literally nothing to do with the world of Quake 1. And that's kinda it: all future games aside from Quake 4 came without a proper single player campaign, and even that was basically a Doom 3-esque dark corridor continuation of Quake 2. id Software themselves don't really consider it Quake. So this means the original Quake, despite being a highly appreciated game, it just never received a proper continuation in terms of campaign. I still hope that the new-found success of Doom pushed id to tackle this franchise as well with similar respect.

Unreal Tournament

UT-Screenshot.jpg

Speaking of which, despite receiving a new (now canned) project only a couple years ago, one can not just look at how mismanaged this franchise was, as Epic Games did everything they could to run a beloved franhcise to the ground in a couple years' time while Quake 3 (its main rival) was still thriving with remakes and such. They've made Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004, two incredibly beloved games, with 2004 still very much played by the community to this day. Tons of content, massive customization, game ran on potato PCs even back then, everything about it was just glorious. But then Epic Games found more success with Gears Of War, so the long-delayed Unreal Tournament 3 was basically a set of Gears Of War-esque locations and assets readapted for the classic UT gameplay, taking out tons of the features, shipping with bare minimum content and throwing away the awesome scalability of the previous game (but that's engine-bound). They eventually tackled a new installment a decade or so later, but they literally took members of the community to work on it, gave the game no exposure whatsoever then canned it as soon as Fortnite started making money. While arena shooters certainly aren't as big as they used to be, Unreal Tournament is dead due to incompetence as well. And I'd adore a new, ambitious, well-made installment.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
i have a soft spot for the early '00s bomberman games that had single-player story modes and RPG mechanics, i'd love to see them try something different and weird with the series again

also mega man battle network and chameleon twist

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
i have a soft spot for the early '00s bomberman games that had single-player story modes and RPG mechanics, i'd love to see them try something different and weird with the series again

also mega man battle network and chameleon twist

I really enjoyed Bomberman 64. You could play the multiplayer with the AI in that game.

I actually owned a copy of Bomberman Hero and Hero was quite different from Bomberman 64.

As for Chameleon Twist, I rented that game a few times as well. Really fun, but also really challenging.

tumblr_pp76yplDm21s3uawvo1_400.gifv

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Brave Fencer Musashi and Skygunner are two games I feel really nostalgic about but never played as much as I should have in the period when they were relevant. I too would like to see modern versions of those that were faithful in spirit and aesthetic!

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
A 3d open world gargoyle's /demon's crest on par with BOTW

The finale of Crusader No Regret

A new Lotus Turbo Challenge with that amazing soundtrack

Oct 27, 2017
You know who I'd like to return? Those two on the left (sorry Lo Wang, I never liked your game).

A77EF00DC00DD7C7AE284EF19331E7C884950025

I want a new Duke Nukem game, and a Blood remake/reboot/sequel in the vein of OG Blood. Because I always bet on Duke, and Caleb needs to live... again.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Brave Fencer Musashi and Mischief Makers, yes.

also Shadow Hearts.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you own the PS1 discs you can pick up a Pi4 (or even a Pi3) and dump the ROMs and play them right now on your modern TV

I have a Pi3 and PS1 games work really well on that, and I'm using a DS3 so it's pretty close to being authentic

I'm playing BoFIV currently and having a great time with it

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
If you own the PS1 discs you can pick up a Pi4 (or even a Pi3) and dump the ROMs and play them right now on your modern TV

I have a Pi3 and PS1 games work really well on that, and I'm using a DS3 so it's pretty close to being authentic

I'm playing BoFIV currently and having a great time with it

Hmm, I'm not familiar with those. What are they exactly?

I remember seeing a bunch of those raspberry Pi's in the place I work.