• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So now the year is slowly ending and we have 3 AAA games from 3 different studios that have some of controversy

-Final Fantasy VII Remake

-The last of us 2

-Cyberpunk 2077

Do you think the future of development of games will change? Will studios discard interesting& ambitious storytelling/worldbuilding and just play it safe after seeing the reactions of userbase?

Ghost of tsushima is one of the most popular game of the year despite not necessary groundbreaking and playing it safe.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
They all ended up successful in one way or another so no nothing is going to change.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Can you please be clear about what you think is controversial about CP2077? And why that the reason that makes it controversial is ambitions or interesting? Because i think we're thinking about different things.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Ghost of tsushima is one of the most popular game of the year despite not necessary groundbreaking and playing it safe.
So are the other games you are comparing it to, though. FF7R and TLOU2 are massively popular and successful games. You speak as if they are not. Why would the runaway success of these games diminish games like them in the future?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
If they bend to the TLOU2 reaction then they may as well give up, it was just sad.
You shouldn't cater to people being plonkers.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how VIIR was controversial at all. Some people were mad about the ending for like a week and then moved on.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah stating the controversies might help ground the thread. I think the controversy about Cyberpunk is the tone of the company around bigotry, which I don't think is them taking a chance on storytelling or something, but rather, being very safe for their playerbase and punching down.

Not aware of the controversies for the other games.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Controversy = disagreement. Who's disagreeing that Cyberpunk is an unfinished mess?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We live in w highly political climate, we are thankfully less tolerant to the mistreatment of minorites in the media we consume, because of that, racist, homophobic, or transphobic shit that maybe would have flown ten years ago have no place in modern media, and it deserves to be called out. Cd projekts transphobia. Ff7 remakes heavily stereotyped barret, and tlou pt 2's poor mistreatment of its black characters, all should and have been called out

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like one of these things is not like the others

And by not like the others I mean made by transphobes led by cruel and shitty management

Not to excuse Naughty Dog at all but cmon now

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
So now the year is slowly ending and we have 3 AAA games from 3 different studios that have some of controversy

-Final Fantasy VII Remake

-The last of us 2

-Cyberpunk 2077

Do you think the future of development of games will change? Will studios discard interesting& ambitious storytelling/worldbuilding and just play it safe after seeing the reactions of userbase?

You think that Cyberpunk is controversial because of the game play and storytelling? That's not even on the radar of the issues wrong with the game and its development.

Also, what was the controversy around FFVIIR? I don't think I ever heard any controversy around it.

Dre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only controversial game out of those is TLoU 2

Cyberpunk is just disappointing because it's unfinished and needed an additional year in development.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Crunch your employees and sweep the GOTY awards.
that's the truth, and because of the other thing going on with tlou2 you see people actually defending it in the recent naughty dog crunch thread, if you compare the cyberpunk and tlou2 thread you can see the difference, no one is defending cdpr, but people are defending ND

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FFVIIR's ending controversy was pretty mild even compared to other ending controversies (like Mass Effect 3). I think most people are in "wait and see" mode with it.

The crunch of the other two and the bigotry in CP77 are on a whole 'nother level, really. And we'll almost certainly see this sort of furore happen more often as more people become confident and speaking up about those issues. While it absolutely sucks it happens, it's a good thing that it's finally getting called out on such a massive scale.

Oct 27, 2017
FF7R - small character changes, you are finding controversy where there was none
TLOU2 - narrative direction, events in the story
Cyberpunk - missing many features, buggy, barely running and severely downgraded

So one game had no real controversy, and another game has nothing to do with the story.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
that's the truth, and because of the other thing going on with tlou2 you see people actually defending it in the recent naughty dog crunch thread, if you compare the cyberpunk and tlou2 thread you can see the difference, no one is defending cdpr, but people are defending ND

I think of the crunch stuff as a real world and life problem(not a game one), if that was the controversy people meant then i don't mean to be dismissive.

OP
OP

Fusionterra

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You think that Cyberpunk is controversial because of the game play and storytelling? That's not even on the radar of the issues wrong with the game and its development.

Also, what was the controversy around FFVIIR? I don't think I ever heard any controversy around it.

Cyberpunk = releasing an unfinished game with bugs, bad optimization, good reviews despite all that
FFVIIR= Episodic release, the ending and whispers, some alternating in story

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIIR was actually surprisingly uncontroversial and after just a couple of months hardly anyone spoke about it anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there was really any controversy around FFVIIR. Some people just didn't like it, that's normal and happens to literally every game.

Closest thing to a controversy around FFVIIR was the game being split in chapters, but that's a 2015 debate, not a 2020 one.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Cyberpunk = releasing an unfinished game with bugs, bad optimization, good reviews despite all that

Cyberpunk is controversial because of the excessive crunch that went into the game (employees clocking 90+ hour weeks), transphobia, a fucked bonus system for employees.

The unfinished state of the game is pretty far down on the list.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'll assume that the controversy around The Last of Us Part II is the conditions it was made in and not the content of the game because I'm not sure some people not liking some story decisions qualifies as "controversy". Even then most people didn't have problems so it's not like a widespread thing.

But on that same note I'm not sure Final Fantasy VII Remake qualifies as controversial? Not everybody loved it but is that not just every game? Unless there's a story I'm missing.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Cyberpunk is controversial because of the excessive crunch that went into the game (employees clocking 90+ hour weeks), transphobia, a fucked bonus system for employees.

The unfinished state of the game is pretty far down on the list.

Sadly, the only reason it is sparking controversary for most people is due to the unfinished state that it is currently in.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We really comparing a goofy boss fight and whacky ending to severe crunch and blatant transphobia? Jfc

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake was announced as episodic very far in advance, and they said there would be story changes as well.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
What was the controversy with FFVIIR?

The main controversy here on Era was that the game was marketed as Final Fantasy VII Remake but only would go as far as Midgar. That tone changed once people realized what they meant with Remake.

Cyberpunk is controversial because of interesting and ambitious story telling?
Controversy = disagreement. Who's disagreeing that Cyberpunk is an unfinished mess?
The only controversial game out of those is TLoU 2

Cyberpunk is just disappointing because it's unfinished and needed an additional year in development.

We have a pinned thread about CDPR's/Cyberpunk 2077 transphobia and a pretty active thread about its toxic workplace culture, and y'all are really gonna talk about the game's bugs and cut corners?

You serious with this shit? Really? That doesn't affect real people, transphobia and toxic workplace conditions however do.

Oct 25, 2017
Quite an attempt at a guess there, but no. It's controversial because it is a garbage dumpster fire of transphobia, inhumane working conditions, bugs, performance issues, non-existent NPC and traffic AI, shallow RPG mechanics, and uninteresting side content after a 7-8 year wait.

It wasn't a serious question, OP's post is asking if because of controversy in these 3 game will their future game avoid controversial / ambitious story telling.

That's obviously not why CP is a controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.