• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I don't understand how people here are trying to downplay taking a drug like cocaine of all things as something normal. It's of course bad this happens, and yes victim-blaming should always be called out but in this case dangerous & risky behavior turned out well... dangerous?

Devaluing the lives of people who die because they do drugs is wrong.

If someone intentionally put poison in restaurant food and people died, nobody would say "well they were eating food prepared out of sight by someone else, they knew the risks." It's not as different as you might think. The only reason these people weren't able to know they were taking fentanyl is the lack of a well-regulated market. They were poisoned.

People are always too eager to assign personal responsibility to victims of things they themselves have not experienced and believe they would never do. Drug use is an extremely complicated issue.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just... don't do cocaine? Is hard to feel sorry for very irresponsible people.
You're getting dunked on, but i feel the same way.

No one should have to die from buying some mixed drugs tho'. Hope they'll catch the person that did it.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
what is the best idea? Please enlighten us.
Decriminalisation and regulation, stop using drug laws as a tool of state oppression, end the absurd and counter productive war on drugs, provide people with safe and reliable recreational drugs.

Edit: literally any compassionate person who spends any time thinking about this can easily come to these kinds of conclusions.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people who are getting angry in here about the "drugs are dangerous" posts also doing these drugs? What's the matter? These posts are perfectly reasonable.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're getting dunked on, but i feel the same way.

You both suck. And I don't advocate taking coke. You still suck. Addiction is real. Lots of deaths are caused by a lack of consistency in supply and a lack of quality treatment programs and so on. It's complex. The solution isn't "just don't do coke". You want to be Nancy Reagan? I'm going to call you out. You need educating. You are ignorant.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks) Dismissive Commentary Over a Series of Posts
You both suck. And I don't advocate taking coke. You still suck. Addiction is real. Lots of deaths are caused by a lack of consistency in supply and a lack of quality treatment programs and so on. It's complex. The solution isn't "just don't do coke". You want to be Nancy Reagan? I'm going to call you out. You need educating. You are ignorant.
I'll live with that.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing how we always get someone spouting right-wing bullshit in threads.

Edit: make that two people, fucking hell...

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Are people who are getting angry in here about the "drugs are dangerous" posts also doing these drugs? What's the matter? These posts are perfectly reasonable.

Yes because we believe that people shouldn't be dying if they take drugs, deserve help if they are addicted, and believe in ending a racist war on drugs, that means we must do drugs too.

I don't even know how you even came to that conclusion.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
What a horrible loss of life, RIP.

In all seriousness, how does one do this? What does "being careful" look like in the context of buying drugs? Do the people who sell them know whether or not they're selling a tainted product?
There's historically been lots of publically available testing kits for MDMA, I would imagine that it's similar for fentanyl.

I don't understand how people here are trying to downplay taking a drug like cocaine of all things as something normal. It's of course bad this happens, and yes victim-blaming should always be called out but in this case dangerous & risky behavior turned out well... dangerous?
The chance of dying like this from coke is not an inherent danger to the activity like a car or skateboarding accident. The "risk" here came from a business making a conscious decision to poison its customers for a quick buck. If anything, the real danger is the unregulated free market.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Drugs aren't dangerous as much as not knowing what they might be laced with is. That's where the gov has failed by criminalizing drugs, which in turn makes them even less safe to consume. Fentanyl is also insanely cheap to cut with other drugs so it's a huge profit margin for drug smugglers and such which is encourages them to use it more frequently.

I'm in the camp you shouldn't die because you partook in using a drug.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see anyone doing this.

You'd probably be surprised at how common taking drugs like that is.

Legalization, services for those addicted including supervised consumption sites, and, you know, some empathy.

That's great for the future but not so great for now. Right now cocaine is illegal and there's no telling what you're getting. Doing hard drugs now is a roll of the dice. The "war on drugs" was a joke and the money spent on arresting or stopping purchase of drugs should have been spent on education and treatment.

until then don't do drugs unless you're prepared for the consequences.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That's great for the future but not so great for now. Right now cocaine is illegal and there's no telling what you're getting. Doing hard drugs now is a roll of the dice. The "war on drugs" was a joke and the money spent on arresting or stopping purchase of drugs should have been spent on education and treatment.

So these people deserved to die?

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
No, I haven't done hard drugs in many years, but I have compassion for people who have addiction problems and I have empathy for the three people who died last night.

Maybe these ultra conservative folks can make a new topic about how bad drugs are instead of shitting up a thread about three people who lost their lives. Victim blaming is putrid trashy shit no matter how you try to dress it up.

Drugs aren't going away. The only reasonable action is to decriminalize so that we aren't funding cartels and terrorists.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Issue with coke is that it's so ubiquitous, you really have to trust where you are getting it from and that sense isn't always there when you are in party mode.

Dealers really need to stop lacing fentanyl in man, a lethal dose is so damn small and it's not something a huge chunk of them are equipped to muck around with.

OP
OP
Cheesebu

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
yea, usually when the dealer cuts the coke with some bullshit they add fentanyl so that the buyer doesn't notice it's less coke. Only it typically kills them.
This isn't quite correct. If you add fentanyl to anything it is a tiny, tiny amount. You could die from a an extremely minuscule amount. If a dealer is cutting coke to make it look like more, he's using baby powder or some harmless shit like that.

Edit: oh I think I misunderstood, you were talking about cutting with nondrugs and also fentanyl. Still though, nobody is going to think a fentanyl high is just coke. They're completely opposite effects.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Was a joke? You know it still continues, right?

How about we shouldn't victim blame? It's not as simple as "don't do drugs".

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe using drugs is normal for everyone in the US, or people younger than me, or I don't know... But I have never used drugs, and most people I know have never used drugs too. I still feel bad for people dying for this, and I don't blame the people, but I must admit a fantasy of mine would be a world without any dangerous drugs. Be careful everyone :)

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
there are ways to reduce transmission of STDs. Not so much when you're using cocaine from God knows where.

Actually, there are places that give out fentanyl testing strips for those exact kinds of situations. These same places often give Narcan training courses and Narcan out as well.

How about advocating for this "right now"?

lupe121283

Oct 31, 2017
For foreign folks, yes drugs usage is very common in the United States. Sad that the comedian died. Feel for their family

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Just don't be an addict" should qualify for a ban IMO. It's that terrible. Yes, I know commenting on moderation can be an offense. I'm pissed and I'm not sorry about it.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I am pretty sure that the chance of being hit by a car if you leave your home is *way* smaller than the chance of dying of a dose of cocaine *if you consume it*. Of course there are way fewer people taking cocaine than leaving their homes, so it's likely more people die from car accidents than from cocaine. But taking cocaine clearly is the more dangerous choice than leaving your house.

Stay home and don't do drugs. Only way to be safe.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
At this point you have to be afraid that fentynal is laced in everything to cut costs, insane to think that they get richer off more people dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.