• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't seen it, I suspect Conspiracy would be right up your street.

twj88wH.png

It's a dramatisation of the Wannsee conference, a bureaucratic meeting in pleasant surroundings where some high-ranking German officials are calmly and inexorably guided to the notion that the logical course of action is, well, The Final Solution.

It's *horrible*. And yet so *banal*.

This is an excellent recommendation. I second it.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
I watched it in my teens and I still feel scared. The dryness of it all makes it really much more powerful. Thanks to everybody who recommended Testament, but I'm not sure I want to go through similar emotions again. Honest question: is there really a point in torturing yourself (again) if you already know how fragile things are? At which point, if ever, does it become morbid curiosity?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
watched it in school when studying the cold war

the utterly flat, bleak depiction of the apocalpyse is incredibly chilling and carries a lot more weight than more action-focussed colourful depictions

Oct 30, 2017
I've been working my way through Chernobyl over the past week and between that and Threads, I feel like being exposed to radiation would be the most terrifying realization in the world.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I've always wondered is why would you even want to survive through something like that? If a nuke was being dropped on my city, I'd get as close as possible so I can be vaporized and if I couldn't do that then just give me a gun so I can take myself out.

I mean what's the point of living after a civilization-destroying event like that. You won't live long enough to see any sort of recovery so may as well end it as soon as possible.

Oct 26, 2017
Only intended to watch about half an hour or so of this last night but found it so gripping that I just had to see how it ended. Man. It pulled no punches. Just unflinching and devastating. I think is the most powerful anti war film I have seen since Grave of the Fireflies. While I find war themed films harrowing in general, it's so much worse when it depicts the civilians who have to pick up the pieces. I'll definitely be recommended this to others. I'm most impressed by this was made on such a shoestring budget.

And man, I can't believe some of you have watched this as children. I'm pretty hardened from decades of horror films so while I didn't necessarily find the imagery shocking, it was definitely haunting. I'd imagine this would have shattered me when I was younger

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, what is the meaning of the title?
It's in the opening monologue.

"In an urban society, everything connects. Each person's needs are fed by the skills of many others. Our lives are woven together in a fabric. But the connections that make society strong also make it vulnerable."

It's quite chilling.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
It's in the opening monologue.

"In an urban society, everything connects. Each person's needs are fed by the skills of many others. Our lives are woven together in a fabric. But the connections that make society strong also make it vulnerable."

It's quite chilling.
Ahhhhh right that makes sense. Also fits with one of the last scenes in the movie when you see the kids breaking down fabric to create loose threads.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Saw this last week. That Ken Loach-esque beginning really helps set up the punch the second half of the film delivers. Just this constant sense of dread when they're trying to live their lives during a heated political era. You hope things get better and it just plummets even further down.

Oct 26, 2017
One thing though, things devolve incredibly rapidly where societal norms and language are considered. I think when the film hits its conclusion, we're at maybe 13 years after the war. Is it realistic to expect that language would devolve that rapidly in a post nuclear society? I've never seen any fiction where that's taken into consideration. Like the children are depicted as practically feral

Makes you wonder which nations would have faired best in that world

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
It's 3:40am and I just finished watching it. Yeah I shouldn't watched it before bed... but THANK GOD I didn't watch it after eating dinner! 🤢🤢🤢

If anyone has access to Kanopy streaming through their library account, or Hoopla.. it's on there. I believe Kanopy might be alittle clearer.

That was a ride. There's nothing like films from the 80's.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't have to, I did. Knowing in the UK we were 4 minutes from dying in a fireball hotter than the centre of the sun became a remarkable thing to live with.

Carnby I'd suggest tracking down Raymond Briggs' 'When the Wind Blows' - book or movie, both are equally emotionally devastating.
Me too. I grew up in the 80s with all the weird media around it, in the full knowledge that in the event of WWIII, the south-east of the U.K. where I lived would no longer exist shortly after it started.

Oct 30, 2017
Me too. I grew up in the 80s with all the weird media around it, in the full knowledge that in the event of WWIII, the south-east of the U.K. where I lived would no longer exist shortly after it started.

Yep, I grew up literally a stones throw from the docks in Tilbury, Essex. We all knew in the event of war we'd be vaporised in the first wave of bombs, and tbh after being dosed up with Threads as kids, I was fine with that. My dad used to say that if it came to it, we'd all wander down to the field at the end of our road that overlooked the docks, and "see" it happen so we wouldn't suffer.

Weird time. Made the fall of the Berlin wall even more poignant though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One thing though, things devolve incredibly rapidly where societal norms and language are considered. I think when the film hits its conclusion, we're at maybe 13 years after the war. Is it realistic to expect that language would devolve that rapidly in a post nuclear society? I've never seen any fiction where that's taken into consideration. Like the children are depicted as practically feral

I think the idea is that the UK is so centralised and small that there is no chance of rebuilding. There is no organised education and nobody around to raise kids, when all remaining adults have to work long manual labour shifts to get even half the calories they need, the lack of sunlight, electricity and people along with radiation sickness making everything a hundred times harder. Every adult that survived, even if they aren't sick or struggling to survive along with caring for others, is in shock for the rest of their lives at the brutal destruction of their past lives and likely almost everyone and everything they loved. Life is hard, short, dark and painful, and that distancing makes the next generation live under different rules.

It's not a fun, adventurous, 'there's freedom in our new feudal liftstyle, this is how we start living now we aren't office workers any more!' take on the apocalypse, and that's what makes it so effective compared to a lot of prior (and more recent) post-apocalyptic media and the laughable government information leaflets of the time. As anyone that survived wouldn't be stepping out the next morning to clear up like London after the blitz. There wouldn't be a next morning in terms of literal and metaphorical daylight at all.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scary in an existenstial sense, maybe. The fact that society has no defense against something like that. The preparations we have are and will always be meagre.

I loved the movie but it was quite brutal. The story of the movie's release is also interesting.

With how badly we've handled this pandemic I'm 100% certain we're completely fucked if the scales of fate ever tip this way for us. I have zero faith we would be able to survive a nuclear disaster.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
With how badly we've handled this pandemic I'm 100% certain we're completely fucked if the scales of fate ever tip this way for us. I have zero faith we would be able to survive a nuclear disaster.

Totally. Also,
they even have what looks like reasonable infrastructure to deal with it and it's not even mildly effective lol

Definitely gonna give this a whirl. On my list now, thank you!

I love "Threads" threads, and for those who watch it for the first time to say how they found it. I watched it myself a few years back because someone mentioning it here (or at the old place, I can't remember which). Since then I tell everyone I know to give it a look, especially those into their horror or post-apocalypse movies.

There's something about Threads that makes people want to recommend it to others haha. Which is odd considering the subject matter and the nature of the film. But I know I am always on the hunt for someone who might not have seen it. I've noticed that others seem to feel the same way 😬

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I know how important this is to people in the British horror community that I've been connecting with lately so this has been on my to-watch list. This thread made me sub to Shudder.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I'd also recommend The Road, by Cormack McCarthy - the book, but the film was a good adaptation if you'd like to start there.

The disaster isn't shown and left to interpretation, but the state of the world and the characters will stay with you.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Totally. Also,
they even have what looks like reasonable infrastructure to deal with it and it's not even mildly effective lol

Definitely gonna give this a whirl. On my list now, thank you!

There's something about Threads that makes people want to recommend it to others haha. Which is odd considering the subject matter and the nature of the film. But I know I am always on the hunt for someone who might not have seen it. I've noticed that others seem to feel the same way 😬
I think there's a kind of empathetic dread to it. Watching it hangs a sword of Damocles over one's mind, and wanting others to experience it to helps relieve some of that stressful despair. We can be stressed out together

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I know how important this is to people in the British horror community that I've been connecting with lately so this has been on my to-watch list. This thread made me sub to Shudder.

Shudder one of the few apps I subscribe to and I love it. My advice is to watch one movie per week. Pick anything that looks remotely interesting. You'll find some great horror deep cuts on there. Also, stay away from Shudder originals. I've only had back luck with those. Shudder exclusives are worth watching. They can easily be confused, so read the fine print on the thumbnail.

And watch the Joe Bob Briggs live specials. They're a blast. There's one next Friday at 9pm EST.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The part where the kids are watching old school/educational VHS's about the name of animals is something that wouldn't seem out of place in The Last of Us or The Walking Dead, that scene has stuck with me ever since I watched that movie.

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads should be shown to many more people, as bleak as it is. Pointing thousands of nuclear weapons at your own species is a form of insanity. There's a lot on people's plate already but it should be talked about more. No, we're not safer with them.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
I will say this: the existence of nuclear weapons has absolutely forced an increasing number of humans to adopt a less warlike view of matters. It used to be that war was a glorious and masculine pursuit that built nations and empires and defined generations. Ever since the guns of August, that's been screwed up, and ever since Trinity and the two on Japan, we've begun seeing war as the scourge of humanity. Not all of us unfortunately, but hey, at least something is tempering us for once. It'd be amazing if we ever reached a point where we willingly refused to wage war even without the threat of total thermonuclear destruction looming behind us.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Totally. Also,

That last shot of the emergency council bunker haunts me.

For me, Threads is basically anti-nuke propaganda. I don't watch horror movies as a rule, I hate jump scares, and psychological horror can really fuck me up sometimes. But Threads isn't a movie I recommend to people just for the thrill of it; I genuinely think it's important for people to watch, to know, to have that visceral feeling of "oh, THIS is what nuclear apocalypse might look like, it's different from what I read in books and articles." I watched The Day After before Threads and it's a compelling movie, but it never puts the fear of god into you the way Threads does. Threads doesn't pull its punches. It might be one of the most important movies of all time, as far as I'm concerned.

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
That last shot of the emergency council bunker haunts me.

For me, Threads is basically anti-nuke propaganda. I don't watch horror movies as a rule, I hate jump scares, and psychological horror can really fuck me up sometimes. But Threads isn't a movie I recommend to people just for the thrill of it; I genuinely think it's important for people to watch, to know, to have that visceral feeling of "oh, THIS is what nuclear apocalypse might look like, it's different from what I read in books and articles." I watched The Day After before Threads and it's a compelling movie, but it never puts the fear of god into you the way Threads does. Threads doesn't pull its punches. It might be one of the most important movies of all time, as far as I'm concerned.

Can you remind me what happens in the last council bunker scene?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Can you remind me what happens in the last council bunker scene?

The last time we see the bunker, it still has power and all the lights are on, but everyone in it has died. I can't remember if they suffocated or starved to death. Soldiers find them after digging their way in.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads should be shown to many more people, as bleak as it is. Pointing thousands of nuclear weapons at your own species is a form of insanity. There's a lot on people's plate already but it should be talked about more. No, we're not safer with them.
But it's worth it, these days there are less wars and more genocides enabled by MAD. What's not to love?

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The last time we see the bunker, it still has power and all the lights are on, but everyone in it has died. I can't remember if they suffocated or starved to death. Soldiers find them after digging their way in.

Thanks...

And btw, what you said in your previous post is spot on. Well said.

Liamario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a horror movie. It's more of public awareness movie. It's absolutely harrowing, but I wouldn't put it into any genre. It's very like reality if nuclear was would have broken out- horrific.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to try this on Xenia. It's amazing, stuff of dreams. However I'm having a hard time with the sensitivity of my Series X controller being too high, I can't aim very well at all.

I wonder if an authentic N64 controller through Mayflash adapter would make it feel perfect since it's xinput. I suppose that would come down to how the C buttons being mapped to the right analog stick feels.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I will say this: the existence of nuclear weapons has absolutely forced an increasing number of humans to adopt a less warlike view of matters. It used to be that war was a glorious and masculine pursuit that built nations and empires and defined generations. Ever since the guns of August, that's been screwed up, and ever since Trinity and the two on Japan, we've begun seeing war as the scourge of humanity. Not all of us unfortunately, but hey, at least something is tempering us for once. It'd be amazing if we ever reached a point where we willingly refused to wage war even without the threat of total thermonuclear destruction looming behind us.

What's more amazing is that we still live under this threat, but everybody just ignores, or simply aren't aware of it.

This despite nukes being in the hands of more government actors, that Russia, China and the US are all engaged in ongoing warhead development aimed at creating 'usable' nukes (a posture that hasn't been seen since the 1960s).

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
What's more amazing is that we still live under this threat, but everybody just ignores, or simply aren't aware of it.

This despite nukes being in the hands of more government actors, that Russia, China and the US are all engaged in ongoing warhead development aimed at creating 'usable' nukes (a posture that hasn't been seen since the 1960s).
Entirely because of a delusion that the threat only existed because of the Soviet Union. This despite the closest we've ever come to total thermonuclear war being after the end of the Cold War.

The threat of nuclear war was almost never because of two superpowers duking it out. It's almost always been an escalating series of goofs and false alarms.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the stuff on Shudder can be watched for free, including Threads. I didn't check everywhere, but it's on Tubi. Someone mentioned When The Wind Blows a little back. That's on Tubi, also.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
But it's worth it, these days there are less wars and more genocides enabled by MAD. What's not to love?
Fewer wars and genocides among the major powers, that is. And it took a long while to get there; the latter half of the 20th century was still pretty bloodstained compared to the first half if you subtract the two biggest contributors (then again, there were more people to die anyway). Heck, the 20th century ended the way it started: with some damned foolish thing in the Balkans. I feel more people don't talk about the Yugoslav Wars or Bosnian genocide considering it was happening in the middle of the Millennial Mecca known as the 1990s. I've even angsted about this before, that all those Buzzfeed clickbait articles that talk about "how the 90s actually sucked" only ever talk about irrelevant middle-class American shit with Kurt Cobain and Tupac thrown in and never things like, you know, Srebrenica or Rwanda or the Second Congo War.

And even then, there's still been brinkmanship. Like between India and Pakistan. Fun fact: in that one, a chance meteor falling to Earth could've kickstarted nuclear war if it hit a few hours earlier. I don't think there'll be nuclear war between the USA, Russia, and China, but I have long felt that we would one day see a military nuclear exchange and it'll be in south Asia.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You'll notice the adults still speak normally. It's because,
as the film explicitly states in text, radiation exposure affects pregnancy and results in deformity and damage to the brain and nervous system of the child. It's genetic wounding. And as the harrowing final scene shows, it doesn't get better.

Humanity has faced Ice Ages, and famines and plagues. Absolutely terrible things. But we've never faced something like a Nuclear Winter, and frankly, I don't think we'd survive. If we did, we'd be a different species, more akin to animals. You don't recover from this and that's the overall message of the film.

Isn't it crazy that we not only still have these weapons but more potent and deadly ones now (like the hypersonic missiles)? We just kinda decided to not think about it as much. With all the tensions climate change will bring... it will get really bad.

Films like this are more important than ever because the answer is to come together and cooperate even more, and not to tolerate fascism and the far-right wing.

Last edited:

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watched this the other night due to this thread. Really sticks with you.
Ruth's daughter just emotionlessly scavenging a few trinkets from her after she dies feels so personally bleak.

Last edited: