• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence - it's a bit simple but it's fun and I think it's one of the better Dracula origin stories.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - I actually prefer it to FFT. I like how much simpler everything is.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: it's a legit good jrpg. Very reminiscent of a lot of the good jrpgs from the PS2 era.

Assassin's Creed III - probably the best written game in the series.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite - It plays great, I think the art style is fine and I more or less love the roster. Seeing someone like Jedah again was great.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - it's honestly my second favorite BioWare game behind Mass Effect 2. I really like all the characters, the world is beautifully designed, and I actually wanted more after the game was finished.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
detroit-fugitives-flowchart-100.jpg

Detroit: Become Human. I mean, it's liked by many people, but still bashed by many because of David Cage meme. I liked Cage jokes before, but after this game I think they're completely irrelevant.
The writing is alright, ok, I didn't like Markus story, because he's weak overall, but the other two characters are really enjoyable, especially Connor, android detective. I looooooooved him, not only because he was very well written, but because you could choose between completely different personalities when playing as him. You can be a professional, a nice, but a bit awkward, goofy android, and cold hearted machine. And... I loved the last option the most! Reminded me of T-1000. We don't have enough games, when we can be evil characters, so there's that. Kudos to Quantic Dream for giving me this option, this was the best.
Ant this game is glorious when it comes to options you make during chapters and outcomes you get. After every chapter a flowchart pops out, so you can see how many scenes and choices you missed, so you can replay it later. And those aren't your classic Telltale choices, when in the end choice doesn't matter and you always get the same finale. Every route is different and your characters can die. I even missed a whole chapter and other cool stuff when playing for the first time.
And if you don't like movie-games in general- give it a try. I wasn't a fan of cutscenes in games I play and liked a specific type of gameplay the most (soulslike), but his game changed my tastes in games a bit. Now I want to try everything, the more diverse choice in game genres I have, the better.

I only hope... this game won't have a sequel. The amount of choices you have is a problem here. I always picked the most evil options, so those probably won't be considered as a canon when making another game and that would make me sad a hell.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey You, Pikachu!
It's wholesome fun and a charming way to interact with Pokemon.

Mario Sunshine
Despite some quirks is a mostly solid game with the smoothest Mario has ever controlled in 3D and diverse tropical settings.

Pokemon Let's Go
Literally Pokemon Yellow and the most challenging Pokemon game in a very long time. AI is decent (for Pokemon) in this entry and there's a real nice balance to the difficulty. Haven't lost this much in over 13 years.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Every single Monster Hunter before World. All these hipster gamers suddenly thinking they are fans but was all hatin' before. Back in the day, we had to cook our own meat >:(

World-only players trying to lecture thousands of hours MonHun veterans on how thrash the older games are... makes my blood boil >:(

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3

I think the game looks really good (the colors, the sharpness) and the gameplay is a lot of fun.
It has got a great pool weapons and collecting orbs is fun as ever.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I guess starfox adventures. It's an original IP that is a 3d zelda clone, that had starfox paint put on it. It has both some better and worse aspects to 3d zelda. Definitely flawed, but some great things to it.

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I guess starfox adventures. It's an original IP that is a 3d zelda clone, that had starfox paint put on it. It has both some better and worse aspects to 3d zelda. Definitely flawed, but some great things to it.
I love it a lot. Despite using stock sound effects, it has a ton of charm in its presentation. I'm still impressed by those moving grass textures. Like sorcery.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Shadow the Hedgehog. Yeah, you heard me. It has a lot of problems, but it has a pretty unique style of gameplay that's pretty fun when you're speeding through levels. Every Sonic game is great when you hit a flow and get through the levels, and Shadow the Hedgehog is no exception and can reach it pretty well.

Expert Mode is also a great way to experience the game after you A-rank everything.

Valkryie Chronicles.

I mean, why showing no love for it? This game is fantastic and y'all should not sleeping on it.

Is it even hated? Everyone I know loves the series. Underrated for sure, but hated seems a bit reaching.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII has already had people defend it in this thread better than I could but I just want to chime in and show my support for a flawed but solid game.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
7858d6735b2a1fe804dd7fe4ac338e1a9da413cd.jpg

Aside from the obvious production values that are among the best of its generation, look at how damn good the art style is

BPlGSJU.jpg

LL

Now imagine those production values and art direction, and add one of the best OSTs of the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Cg92jbc88

And last but certainly not least, my favorite combat system of the series.

XIII makes the obvious (but correct) decision to ditch random encounters in favor of on field monsters, this has several benefits

-You can pick and choose which fights you want
-Attacking a monster from behind gives you an advantage in battle
-You can avoid battles entirely

The core combat systems take the traditional menu based ATB formula that the series had become known for and mixed it up in a way that made it fresh and even more satisfying. Rather than just physical attacking your way through random encounters that are designed to chip away at your HP/MP over a long period of time, XIII replenishes your HP/MP after every battle and instead chooses to make every random battle something you have to pay at least a little bit of attention to. There are very few battles where you don't paradigm shift at all, and if you get lazy you wont get you 5 star rating which gives you additional rewards after battles.

The paradigm shifts gives the player a fast paced battle where you have to stay on your toes, it's true that you aren't directly in control of every single action that your character takes, but the excellent A.I. does what you want almost every time, i mean if your character is low on HP and you paradigm shift to a medic, its going to heal that character 999/1000 times, how is that any different from manually going into the magic list, selecting cure, and casting it on the character? That's just a slower way of doing it.

The stagger gauge is also an excellent layer of depth, you can choose to focus on ravagers to fill it up and stagger the enmy as quickly as possible, or you can just get the stagger bar up high (which lowers its defense) and keep it there rather than staggering and making the bar reset again, it gives the player something else to think about.

The game also gives players a good variety of choices with its gear, you can turn lightning into a ravager that can raise the stagger bar quickly, or you can bulk up her HP or strength and make her a better commando/medic/sentinal. Each character has their own strengths and weaknesses and exclusive spells/abilities.

Ironically enough, the biggest complaint of the game is it's ultra linear level design, but as i replayed the game this generation, i actually found the pacing refreshing. After every game going open world, it's nice to be able to just get from point A to point B with 5-10 minutes of travel.
It's also worth noting that the game is extremely polished, i've put 150+ hours into the game, got the platinum trophy, and i can't even think of a bug that i ran into.

I got so much shit for liking this game! lol The game has many flaws but I ended up loving it, especially the art style and soundtracks.

Oct 26, 2018
I will fight tooth and nail for DmC. Most fun I've had last gen
Sunset overdrive and sea of thieves as well. Those two games are my gotg, still haven't binged agame this gen as much as I did sunset

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck everyone, I like Star Fox Zero.

Controls can be a legitimate learning curve just everything else that people are okay with or make excuses for.
I really like Star Fox Zero. I don't necessarily disagree with some of the complaints, but I still had a load of fun playing it and revisit it from time to time in the same way I did the SNES and N64 entries.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Dragon Age 2
- The NPC party members were super memorable.
- Got away from the "save the world" cliches.
- Friendship/Rivalry system was innovative and something I would have liked to see continue. The rivalry romance was an extremely interesting touch.
- One of the few Bioware games with no busywork filler quests.
- Depending on difficulty, combat can be made to be a fair amount more complex than Origins or Inquisition.

I get the sense DA2 could have been really good with an extra year or so in the oven - a lot of its criticisms were at least partially down to a short-ish development cycle.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XV.
It is among the very best in many areas including art direction, graphics, animation, music, and characters. The story is nice too, but it could have been delivered better, I guess.

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
VIew7eT.jpg

And as someone who adores the Secret games almost as much. I could rewrite why in my own words, but it's always easier to just refer to what my old friend Stumpokapow once said:

Legend of Mana is the best game Squaresoft made on the PS1, the pinnacle of the Mana series, and probably their best game ever made.

If you played Legend of Mana once, as like a ten year old, and immediately exclaimed "lol this isn't secret of mana this is bullshit", you're basically a joke of a poster. There's a lot of people like this, perpetuating the myth that the game wasn't any good because it immediately put people off ten+ years ago because it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2 part 3. Analyze the game with a level head and you'll see where it shines.

Although some games don't work when looked at from a reductionist standpoint, let's break Legend of Mana down into categories.

Music: Does Legend of Mana have garbage music? Well, no. The composer was Yoko Shimomura, who you would know from all the Kingdom Hearts games, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Little King's Story, and a whole lot more--and this is her best original soundtrack ever. It's a sprawling 50+ song soundtrack with virtually no duds, excellent synth samples, and lots of solid emotional notes.

Here's one of my favourite tracks; Youtube translates it as "The Great Virtue of Gathering Mana's Spirit. This is a moving piano place with interesting composition, a great piano sample and sound quality, and is used at a perfect place in the game.

Here's some kickin' rad fighting music; "The Darkness Nova". It's high octane and driving synth buttrock, which is about what you expect from fighting. Synth quality is a little bit lower here, but the composition is great. Actually, it reminds me a lot of Mystic Quest's better rock tracks, which is a huge compliment.

Graphics: Legend of Mana is pretty inarguably one of the pinacles of 2D, sprite-based graphics on consoles. You've got Excellent dialog portraits, Cool large boss sprites, and another, Beautifully rendered backgrounds, great use of colour, and another, and of course, great concept art. I don't really want to spoil anything here, but some locations like the final dungeon, the Bejeweled City, the seaside town, the Dudbear town, and a few others are spectacular.

Combat: Legend of Mana has truly excellent combat. The major decision they made that pays off is to get rid of being able to attack up and down, effectively making the game a true linear combat system; orient yourself to be on the same plane as the enemy, and attack. This makes combat feel significantly more precise that the earlier Mana games, where it was largely sloppy.

What kind of combat and combat-related mechanics do you have?
Well, you've got:
- You can discover at least 30 different combat moves (the game calls them abilities), largely by using existing combinations of other moves. This is really cool because it encourages experimentation and switching up your abilities. You start with a few basic skills; let's say Jumping and Retreating. Press jump, your character jumps. Press retreat, your character retreats. Press them together and s/he does a back-roll handspring. Combine high-jump with back-roll and you get a full backflip. Combine back-roll with back-flip and you've got flip-kick. At first you sort of intuit how skills come together, and you're generally rewarded with an ability that makes total sense. The best part is that this isn't grindy at all, doing this simply a few times will unlock the more advanced moves for use on your character.

- There are maybe 10 different classes of weapons. Battleaxe? We've got that. Bow and Arrows? We've got that. Just like that other Mana games, you've got an extraordinary leeway in how you want to play the game. Maybe you'd like to master all the skills, of course. Weapons bring with them techniques; techniques are special weapon moves which combine the unique attributes of the weapon you're using with the unique attributes of the abilities you've unlocked above. The game is excellent at integrating its manifold systems together and letting you use as few or as many as you'd like to use.

- Experience sharing is an interesting thing. When you kill enemies, they drop experience crystals. Your ability to share experience with combat partners depends on who picks what up. Very neat and simultaneously frustrating, just the way we like those kinds of mechanics.

- Weapons can be crafted. Your first playthrough of the game you probably won't bother, since you can use the stock weapons, upgrade them by buying new ones at stores, and move on. But if you so desire, you can multiply the strength of your end-game weapons by a factor of ten by using the awesome crafting system. Like crafting systems in most game's, Legend of Mana's is a little obtuse at the start (I won't hear anyone praise SMT's walkthrough-requiring demon fusion systems and criticize this one). The gist is that you apply raw materials which have obvious grades and organic items which don't and in the end you get a new weapon. If you want to engage in MMO-like min-maxing, the option is there. You can spends dozens of hours doing this. If you just want a quick boost, that option is there too. Awesome!

- Where do you get organic items, you ask? Excellent question. Remember that backyard orchard I posted in the screenshots above? There. You get seeds in the course of the game, and each seed matures, subject to some conditions, into a different fruit. So that's a second integrated crafting system to go along with the weapon crafting.

- So this pretty much describes all the aspects of the single-player combat system, but wait, there's more! As a free bonus, there's tons more you can do.

- First, two player co-op including a rudimentary form of character import is in the cards. Some might say "but Secret of Mana had three player co-op". I've never used the SNES Multitap, but I think if the difference between Legend of Mana being brilliant and Legend of Mana being garbage is support for a multitap accessory, especially in 2010, you guys are nuts. In the mean time, there's also a vs battle arena if you want to use it.

- Second, you often get a story related partner. These are of mixed utility. Some of them get in your way, some of them actively contribute to combat.

- Third, you can bring a pet with you. Although they're rarely required (I think the fossil digging quest might be the only non-pet quest that requires one), the system is deep. It combines a Pokemon-style daycare system with a wide variety of diverse pets. There's about 50 pet types, and raising them is enjoyable if you choose to partake in it.

- Fourth, you can craft a golem from scratch. This is probably the deepest system in Legend of Mana. You start by assembling great materials to give him high HP and high attack. This is basically like weapon crafting, but more expensive. But where the golem really shines is that you get to "program" him. By combining basic commands, you get various final combat attack patterns; specific skills have specific ranges. Very cool, very tough to master, and like raising pets and crafting weapons, totally option.

- I would be amiss if I didn't mention that the game has the best NG+ mode of any game ever made. If you want to play it like Chrono Trigger and use NG+ to steamroll over the game, feel free. If, however, you want a little challenge, there are two additional difficulty levels. I should warn you, it will take you 15+ minutes to kill the basic beginning of game enemies in the highest difficulty if you don't have an optimal crafted weapon. These modes really put your mastery of all the games mechanics to a test.

- I very deliberately left the world design feature until last. New areas appear on the world map when you use certain items in certain locations. The closer you put the items to your home base, the easier the enemies are and the worse the treasure and sold items from shops are. So building the world requires not only finding the items in question, but also placing them effectively. If you want to ignore this feature, ignore it. Stick stuff anywhere. If you want to really min/max the game, you'll have to master this. Speedrunners will note that putting the last dungeon right next to your home base is the only plausible way to complete a weakling run. There's also a system of elemental affinities involved here but it's one of the game's few underdeveloped mechanics.

Story and Quest Design: Legend of Mana doesn't have one storyline, it has three. You can do any of them or all of them. I won't spoil what they are, but each storyline consists of about ten quests taking you across as many locations, and you will certainly stumble on the genesis of each when you begin the game. Each story is pretty involved and requires you to get to know several characters and follow them. Where most RPGs have certain character vignettes in a town (say, FF6 with the injured soldier writing letters to his girlfriend on the Veldt), Legend of Mana logically extends this by showing you that the other characters in this world are on their own adventures like you're on yours. Follow their antics through towns and intervene to help them.

As you complete one or more of the story lines, the Mana Tree blooms in the background, bringing with it an inevitable final confrontation and the beginning of a new destruction/creation cycle. This is very consistent with the cyclical nature of history in other Mana games, and if you actually liked the stories of the earlier games, you'll like the story here. One storyline follows the story of the Dragon Gods--a story which will involve you dying and being brought through the underworld itself, one follows two star-crossed lovers--including through the carcass of a giant dead worm-God, and one follows the bizarre species of Jewel Beasts.

The quest design here is excellent. Some quests are your typical explore, combat, boss combat, story scene layout. There's nothing wrong with that, since virtually everything in all the rest of the Mana series let alone every other RPG does this. But some quests are truly unique. Consider the Dudbear language--at one quest, you agree to sell a bunch of lamps as a travelling salesman to help a guy impress the woman he thinks he's in love with (his romantic misadventures are a whole quest chain in the game and it's genuinely hilarious stuff). To do this, you need to learn the Dudbear language! Dub duba duda dubba! Dubba dadda? Dada dadda! The cool thing about this is that each conversation tree in Dudbear has a lot of leeway, so it's kind of like a non-English version of something like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol in that there are many ways to steer the conversation to sell the lamps.

Or have you ever went on an archaeological dig with some students to help find parts of a bone? You'll have to do it in this game, and once you've assembled the bone, place it on the world map to create the next dungeon you'll be going into.

Have you ever let a stoned fortune teller trap you in a dream world? Noticed your pet cactus ran away? Helped a positively terrible merchant sell overpriced junk to unsuspecting citizens? Composed poems to help a guy get hooked up? Sure there's no Santa Claus and so it misses the opportunity for a quirk fourth-wall break like in Secret of Mana, but the quest design here is varied, filled with developed characters, and engaging.

Also you can play as a boy or a girl which is an option that more games should have.

Overall: Legend of Mana holds up better than any other game on a technical level from the PS1 era. The graphics and music are legendary for a reason. The much maligned game design is frankly never criticized in detail, just dismissed, and in the mean time I've demonstrated that the game can be as simple or as complicated as you make it, that every combat and crafting system integrates with one another very well, and that the game is rewarding and deep if you choose to make it so. The quest design is varied and despite criticisms of the game being story-light, if you realize that the story is about the characters of the vivid, lush world, instead of being a self-important angry teen saves the world quest, the story is actually one of the better ones both on the PS1 and in an RPG in general. Despite major changes to the Mana formula, it keeps intact the spirit and far moreso than the later much worse games in the series, provides a blueprint for how to modernize some of the Mana gameplay beyond the 16-bit era.

GameSpite readers will note that Jeremy Parish named the game the #1 most underappreciated game of all time and discussed it in GameSpite Quarterly #6. I won't transcribe what he wrote and I don't agree with him 100%, but relative to the hate the game gets, the title of #1 most underappreciated rings true for me.

I don't want to say "haters gonna hate", but virtually everyone who hates the game played it once a decade ago, didn't get it, and immediately bitched that it didn't match their expectations for a Mana sequel. If you have the maturity to come to terms with that and actually play the game for what it is, it is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 6 is a game that gets a lot of unfair criticism, it had great combat hampered by needless setpieces, you should only play the mercenaries mode of that game to really appreciate the combat.

Love RE6's combat system and Mercs mode, but that sort of highlights why the (non-hyperbolic) criticism is deserved. Outside of that side mode, which is already an odd place for a game to exemplify itself, the game was a bloated mess. I'd say the set pieces were far from the primary issue, but more-so that the campaign encounter design and alternative enemy behavior and mechanics from Mercenaries that dragged down the gameplay.

Just some examples:

• Some enemies like the Napad are far harder to counter and coupde grace in the campaign. While it can be waved off as a difficulty adjustment, the way it was handled was awkward and dragged out encounters by putting the emphasis on the weaker gunplay.
  • Much of the gameplay against ranged enemies discouraged the combat system, leading to people often falling back to treating it as an awkward Gears of War. This is a result of the ease of bullet knockdown and poor encounter/level design.
  • Some aspects were clearly tuned to co-op gameplay rather than single player games. Infamously is the A.I. behavior in the Ustanak bulkhead sequence.
That all said, the game is far from terrible. People should check out the Mercs mode and play the campaign in co-op, and it's likely they'll have fun for a good deal of it despite the myriad of issues.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
A lot of the big ones I would have picked have been covered.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies?
Actually, pretty much all of the Rare output under Microsoft. Goes without saying they're not 10/10 perfect, but I'll still get a kick from booting up some Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo thanks to backwards compatibility. They're also the most blatant normal map porn, and I love it.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Battleborn.

- The gameplay was a great riff on MOBAs adding shooter elements to the core concept. It wasn't a hero shooter like a lot of people falsely believed.

- The characters were cool and imaginative. Comparisons to Overwatch were overblown and a bit unfair.

- The game's art style wasn't for everyone but I appreciated it and especially loved the anime style cut scenes in the campaign mode.

- The lore/world was interesting and justified the characters being so different. There was only one dying star left in the universe so the few aliens left alive from all reaches of the universe were in one system together using the Battleborn tournament to settle differences as opposed to war.

- If it had been an early Battle Royale game it would still be around today.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Yakuza-dead-souls-ps3-cover-1.jpg

It's not the worst Yakuza game by a long shot.

Maybe it boils down to how much anyone could tolerate unusual control scheme, framerate drops when things busy, clunky camera angles, unpolished shooting gameplay, etc.

But a fun Yakuza game, and I thanked SEGA localized it.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I can't really say that it's 'hated' since it reviewed relatively well, but Arkham Knight is one of the best games I've ever played. I like it way more than Asylum, and I like it more than City, which were both good games. It's comic book goodness and one of the most complete packages across the board.

Arkham_Knight_Superman.jpg

Rocksteady made very massive strides with the freeflow combat system in Arkham Knight to the point I'll never be able to have as much fun with the previous games as I once had. It's responsive and gives you more options for stringing your combos together than before: you can grab enemies off the ground to extend your combo, use melee weapons (a more balanced alternative to the shock gloves in Origins), counter throw enemies for crowd control, perform environmental takedows, and finish off combos with the Batmobile. The Predator sections are highly rewarding by virtue of the improved AI having more tools to negate Batman's stealth advantages, in addition to Batman having more tools to engage enemies with. I thought Arkham Origins was a case of a game not reaping the benefits from a bigger world than its predecessor, but Arkham Knight does a great job of utilizing the larger play space as a playground for Batman: side missions are readily available, Batmobile missions are readily available, plenty of Riddler trophies to find, more than enough NPCs to fight, all challenge maps can be accessed directly from the map without any menus, and the near flawless traversal mechanics perfectly accommodate the size and verticality of the map.

Speaking of the Riddler trophies, many were upset that Rocksteady tied them to the 'complete' ending of the game, which is fair, but I personally didn't view it that way. The ending was the icing on the cake to me; the main incentive for finding the trophies in Arkham Knight versus the previous games is that you get an actual boss fight with Riddler this time, and get to see how the Catwoman subplot concludes. Arkham Knight had almost the exact number of trophies as Asylum, but in Asylum all you get for finding them is a few lines of off-screen dialogue of Nigma getting arrested, which wasn't worth the time at all. The riddles unlocked some pretty interesting content, too, like the Gotham City Stories. Who would've thought that the coolest thing Rocksteady would ever do with Bane in three games would come via some lines of text:
Homecoming

Two hundred and fifty four days, seventeen hours and nine minutes. It seemed like a lifetime, yet he still hungered, every waking moment a test of will. He'd never truly be free from the cravings, but at least now he'd found a means to channel all that pain into something productive... something worthwhile. He'd returned to Santa Prisca broken and desperate, still reeling from his run-in with Batman in Arkham City. He was searching for solace, a fresh start, a means of making the nightmare stop. When he arrived in the slums of his homeland and found a young boy bleeding out from a gunshot wound in the street, mother wailing by his side. Bane realized what had really drawn him back here. Beneath the veneer of luxury resorts and spas, Santa Prisca was a hotbed of corruption, ruled by vicious cartels, drug lords armed up on Venom, embroiled in a bloody turf war that had claimed countless innocent lives. Bane had started from the bottom and worked his way up. Now, as the sun bled out over the horizon, he admired the fruits of his labor : twelve severed head lined up on the beach in various states of decay - the twelve most powerful drug lords on the island. His work was almost done. Just one target remained - Peña Dura, the stone fortress in which he'd been born, raised, and forever corrupted. It was time to tear it all down.

The Batmobile was definitely over-relied on, particularly the multiple boss fights involving it, but that would've only ruined the game if it wasn't fun to use, i.e. if it controlled poorly and wasn't useful. Instead, it was very fun to use, controlled perfectly, and served its purpose quite well. The way it was integrated into the environmental puzzle-solving was clever enough. Rocksteady undoubtedly spent a lot of time getting the Batmobile right, so I don't blame them for wanting to use it. I had problems with Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight character as well, but it was their best work with Joker by far.

Where I give Arkham Knight the most credit is how smoothly it transitions from one form of gameplay to the next without interrupting the player with load screens and other contextual barriers. What makes the open world so great is that, in the space of mere seconds, you can be wrecking APCs in the Batmobile to gliding across skyscrapers and initiating a stealth Predator mission at a militia watchtower overlooking the vast, dynamic city. The ease at which you can go from Batmobile-Freeflow-Predator-Gliding-Side Mission-Story Mission is an unparalleled superhero fantasy that can't be fulfilled in many other open world titles. Spider-Man came close, but even that wasn't quite on the level of Arkham Knight in some ways. Both are really in a class of their own.

Kinn

Oct 28, 2017
Perfect Dark Zero

I loved the multiplayer mode. Gave me endless hours of entertainment .

OP
OP

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VIew7eT.jpg

And as someone who adores the Secret games almost as much. I could rewrite why in my own words, but it's always easier to just refer to what my old friend Stumpokapow once said:

didnt knew it was hated, i played a lot, it was not my favorite game, but the gameplay is very good, and its a coop action RPG on a ps1, i cant think in any other game like that.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game in the series. Most customization, most nuanced story, best PVP.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think lords of shadows 2 is pretty alright. game got shat on a lot when it released. looks great, sounds great, plays great. there are some really good story moments, heartwrenching ones even but also some bad ones. but for me it has always been a game thats more than the sum of its parts - i like it more than the first one

239250_2014-03-26_000x3kbk.jpg

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Starfox Assault was the best Star Fox with great multiplayer and is what the template for future StarFox games should be.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Love Paladins, but still breaks my heart people keep swipping it under the rug as a "Poor's man Overwatch". Compared to the Blizzard game, yeah, is not as polished and the hitboxes are FREAKING HUGE, but at the end of the day I feel like more love has been poured into Paladins.

They get characters faster, more maps more often, content is being delivered constantly compared to how stale has Overwatch become in the meta and on the regular events. You can see Paladins indeed have the lowest budget, but the dev team makes everything they can with it.

Pretty much the only thing I have to look forward in Overwatch is the Archives updates once a year (since is the only update that brings something new to the table and not rehashed game modes with skins I'm probably not getting), Paladins at least offers me skins I want to buy with direct purchases each two months. Also, I feel like Paladins has evolved into a great direction as it keeps going forward and it's in a great place right now.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
It is heavily maligned, but I really like Valkyria Chronicles 2. It certainly has some problems with balancing the different aspects of its story and pacing, and it can be a little grindy, but it does a lot of things well.

The game features segmented maps with the ability to quickly withdraw units and instantly redeploy new ones. This means that unlike VC1 or 4, where you mostly drag a team of ten units along a linear battlefield, you are instead using your entire squad in a complex, multi-front battle. Battles often feature situations where you are defending on one side while trying to send troops around long paths to flank the enemy from behind, or having to attack in two or three places at once.

VC2 has a fun cast of characters, and it does a lot more with them than the other localized games. VC4 is way better than 1 in that you can get special missions featuring a trio of characters, but in VC2 each character has several story events and a unique mission.

It is also very experimental and innovative with its classes, giving each class a branching promotion tree that provided new weapons and capabilities for each branch. Some of these classes, like Gunners, Anti-tank Snipers, Fencers, or the Anthem Corps, were fun to use and offered some interesting options. The tank was also super customizable, and could be anything from an APC to a heavy tank with a wide range of turret options, including specialized artillery mortars and ridiculously huge cannons.

Enemies also had some nice variety. It added a number of things like fortified gatling towers to the enemy pool, but the real stand-out are the "V2" mass-produced artificial Valkyrur. Those enemies are big threat, capable of shredding tanks and shrugging off all gunfire, and finding ways to avoid them, exploit their weaknesses, and ultimately take them down was a fun challenge every time. It also has a bigger pool or recurring bosses than 1or 4, and they're not as annoying to fight, especially since they're never unkillable.

VC2 gets a lot of hate, but I wish VC4 borrowed a little more from it, or was at least half as experimental.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Two I can immediately think of:

1. Artifact
header.jpg

It's a legitimately fun card game I still play, marred by bad marketing, messaging, and a questionable business model that made people get frustrated and stop playing. I really enjoy the game, and still play it sometimes when I can (one of the less than 1000 people playing it), but it's community is pretty much dead. Surprisingly even with the low player count, I can STILL find a match quickly. I like the three boards to it, as I also play a ton of Dota. I think it's mechanics are quite neat.

This. I don't have time to play many games, but I have 100 hours in Artifact and I definitely got my money's worth. It's terribly infuriating to go to any general discussion of the game. It's so transparent to me which posters haven't actually played the game and are just aggrieved for reasons that have nothing to do with the game.

VIew7eT.jpg

This is so perfect and I agree with everything Stumpokapow said. Legend of Mana was so deep design-wise and many people just didn't grok the system (though the enemy AI and difficulty let the game down a little). Do you have a link to the post? This will be my go-to post for this game in the future.

Last edited:

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This. I don't have time to play many games, but I have 100 hours in Artifact and I definitely got my money's worth. It's terribly infuriating to go to any general discussion of the game. It's so transparent to me which posters haven't actually played the game and are just aggrieved for reasons that have nothing to do with the game.
Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. I have seen legitimate criticism from people that played it and dropped it, but also most of the criticism I see just links that video of the initial reaction to it's announcement at TI7 with the "Awwwwwww" from the crowd. I don't think the crowd's initial reaction to a game's announcement really says anything on how the actual game turned out, especially when no gameplay was shown.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. I have seen legitimate criticism from people that played it and dropped it, but also most of the criticism I see just links that video of the initial reaction to it's announcement at TI7 with the "Awwwwwww" from the crowd. I don't think the crowd's initial reaction to a game's announcement really says anything on how the actual game turned out, especially when no gameplay was shown.

That, and their universal fallback argument is the low concurrent player numbers. Fair enough, it certainly has a bunch of flaws and is not a game for everyone, but the conflation of a game's popularity and whether that game is fundamentally sound just derails any discussion of actionable feedback on the game's problems.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed III is the ultimate evolution of the traditional Assassin's Creed formula and one of the best in the series. Connor was a fantastic character with a lot of depth. The American Revolution setting is one of the best settings in the series. The QoL issues and the tailing missions take unfair precedence in discussion of the game, hopefully both of which will be fixed with the Remaster.

Ricky

Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean: The Last Hope - it was the first SO game I played. I loved it so much I played through it 3 times over the course of ~6 months. I was trying to obtain all achievements but joined the Army and had spent too much time away to care about them anymore.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VIew7eT.jpg

Well shit, I was comfortable ignoring this game in favour of SoM2 but now I have to play it.

What have you done to me.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
as much as i loved ffxiii, it deserves the critique.

i would love squeenix to continue exploring paradigm and gambit systems. a paradigm x stagger system where you could tune paradigms with a system like gambits (/ roll your own paradigms) *phew-obama.gif

keep it simple for freshers, with a layer of complexity beneath the veneer for those that want it.

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
Well shit, I was comfortable ignoring this game in favour of SoM2 but now I have to play it.

What have you done to me.

The game's quite a bit deeper than it initially appears, especially with NG+ truly testing your understanding and exploitation of the various systems.

A couple of things Stump left out or didn't expand upon:

Minigame to play music for elementals to try and lure them to trap them for their crafting ingredients. Different elementals have different preferences for music mood. Instruments can also be used for magic attacks.

Minigame to capture pets. You have to bait them with food their type likes and capture them at the appropriate time. Then you get to raise them at your home and affect how they grow.

As you do quests and place lands in pretty much whichever order and relative location you want, the elemental properties of that land will affect those around it. Elemental levels of a stage combined with day of the week can affect the appearance of pets and elementals. Some rare pets will only appear if an element of a particular stage reaches a certain threshold, meaning things can be closed or opened to you depending upon how much thought you put into land placement, and subsequent playthroughs can be quite different due to that.

Your choice of area geography at the beginning of the game can be important for exploiting this. Distance some lands end up from your home will affect enemy difficulty and treasure quality. Some lands have much better rewards when far away vs close. It can be hard to find or trigger every quest in the first playthrough because of all the variables.

The game wasn't universally hated but was hated by many who simply wanted another Secret of. It's pretty widely misunderstood and not given a real chance. Making the difficulty of the first playthrough a bit steeper might've helped with that, as well as more info given so some of the systems aren't so arcane.

Legend of Mana has some beautiful dialogue moments and my favorite soundtrack of all time.

If you take a peek at something like the old GameFAQs for the game you can get an idea of the different systems and their depth.

Mrc3136.jpg

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game's quite a bit deeper than it initially appears, especially with NG+ truly testing your understanding and exploitation of the various systems.

Minigame to play music for elementals to try and lure them to trap them for their crafting ingredients. Different elementals have different preferences for music mood. Instruments can also be used for magic attacks.

Minigame to capture pets. You have to bait them with food their type likes and capture them at the appropriate time. Then you get to raise them at your home and affect how they grow.

As you do quests and place lands in pretty much whichever order and relative location you want, the elemental properties of that land will affect those around it. Elemental levels of a stage combined with day of the week can affect the appearance of pets and elementals. Some rare pets will only appear if an element of a particular stage reaches a certain threshold, meaning things can be closed or opened to you depending upon how much thought you put into land placement, and subsequent playthroughs can be quite different due to that. Your choice of area geography at the beginning of the game can be important for exploiting this.

The game wasn't universally hated but was hated by many who simply wanted another Secret of. It's pretty widely misunderstood and not given a real chance. Making the difficulty of the first playthrough a bit steeper might've helped with that, as well as more info given so some of the systems aren't so arcane.

The game has some beautiful dialogue and my favorite soundtrack of all time.

Awright, awright, I went and downloaded it! If this doesn't shake out I'm blaming you!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always love what people hate so there is so many games cited here that im in love with already. I'll make a list of my own later.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

As you do quests and place lands in pretty much whichever order and relative location you want, the elemental properties of that land will affect those around it. Elemental levels of a stage combined with day of the week can affect the appearance of pets and elementals. Some rare pets will only appear if an element of a particular stage reaches a certain threshold, meaning things can be closed or opened to you depending upon how much thought you put into land placement, and subsequent playthroughs can be quite different due to that.

Your choice of area geography at the beginning of the game can be important for exploiting this. Distance some lands end up from your home will affect enemy difficulty and treasure quality. Some lands have much better rewards when far away vs close. It can be hard to find or trigger every quest in the first playthrough because of all the variables.

Legend of Mana has some beautiful dialogue moments and my favorite soundtrack of all time.
In summary, Akitoshi Kawazu was the producer on this game.