• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
- I don't get the appeal of TikTok
- Ditto for e-sports
- Ditto for streamers and Youtubers and influencers
- "Content creator" is a stupid fucking term for the above
- Modern "metal" (post-djent-caverncore-whatever-the-fuck) sucks

Oct 26, 2017
Physical media is more important and precious to me than downloads. Convenience is all fun and games until the service runs out, or the content is rotated out, or DRM kicks in, or your hard drive gets fried. Fuck that. Give me my physical copies.

Yep. Yeah popular stuff like Taylor Swift, Arianna Grande, and Drake will probably always be available. But songs or artist that only had modest or brief popularity could easily just cease to exist in 10-15 years if the rights holders don't bother to put them on a streaming service. Before people would at least download the digital media to their desktop computers and copy them to a physical media, so there was a decent chance quite a few people still had a copy out there for a particular song. But now for stream-only/digital-only media, Youtube is literally the only failsafe from total oblivion. But if a song didn't get uploaded there, or the rights holders had it removed, or the Youtube uploader account was banned, then that song is lost.

Music has become more and more like a commodity so maybe future generations won't care. But if I really enjoy a song, I like knowing that I can enjoy it anytime I want for at least the next 10-15 years and possibly beyond.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a weird take.

Naaah, buddy. Weird is the premise of the thread...this is my safe space! 😅

I think he's referring more to the fact that people multitask with audiobooks

Right, this is the biggest part to it.

✊🏾

Commutes. They are a godsend on commutes.

Do you not worry you'll miss stuff? I'll have to try it maybe

If you have to think about stuff, you aren't paying attention to the book

That's what I feel.

Damn it, man. There was too much care taken in this answer for me to brush it off with something glib. So here goes:

I'm an auditory person

So am I. The best way I found for myself to study in uni was through discussions and listening in on lectures. But I find myself more focused in those situations (I'm not trying to multi task). One of the pros of audio books I see pushed around is being able to "read" them as you do other stuff. I don't get that.

reading during commute always made me sick because I have transport sickness

Same. I can maybe put on a podcast here, but it means I won't finish it if it goes beyond the commute. So audio books are out for me since it would be more time efficient for me to sit and read it.

It's not something I do while doing something really active, like I wouldn't read a book on audiobook while playing a game (even while grinding or doing a menial job), or while working

Okay, I think I get you.

Podcasts&Music are better for that because you can zone out and it doesn't affect much.

But I can't do this, lol, because I feel like my attention moves away from either the game or podcast. Maybe it's the type of podcast I listen to? I sit down to podcasts and do nothing else really (other than breathe/eat/drink). I've tried podcasts at the gym and I feel like I'm missing something in the discussion because my attention is on working out.

as if you'd need to be visually impaired to enjoy an audio book

Not my intent. Was just offering one use case that I could picture. But if it came across that way, that's on me.

It also opens up a world of possibility when it comes to performances, there are many types of Audiobooks, ranging from the more classic ones where the narrator simply narrates the story, complete with the "He said", "She said", to narrators that literally act for all the characters, to books that are complete with music, different voice actors for all characters + the narrator.

This sounds interesting, although I'm still not sure I would opt for an audio book here. Probably for reasons I'm not even sure or can articulate well yet. I'd have to try it out then and have a think.

It's just a great way to consume books, in my opinion

Lol, I honestly posted my opinion about them because it's what I can see is an out of touch view, but one I can't shake.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Peter Gabriel is better than Phil Collins.

There I said it.
Hmm... Can agree but can also disagree. Solo career wise? Def, Gabriel beats Collins. But Collins in his own right is a fantastic drummer, singer, and writer. Gabriel himself is a fantastic singer, lyricist, and writer too. I frankly love both eras of Genesis and both guys. They're like two brothers from different families.

But sorry, Collins is a better drummer than Gabriel. Gabriel couldn't keep up with drumming on "Turn it on Again"!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
edHGuEI.jpg

???

fuck

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
On this note, I don't consider e-sports a sport. Competition akin to chess/checkers/hungry hungry hippos? Sure.

Something that requires skills and technique? Yes.

But I think a sport needs an element of physicality.

I get the argument, but it is a bit of a blurred line where something is or is not a sport. There's plenty of sports which are low on physicality.

But it really doesn't matter whether is is or isn't, but I do think e-sports are more interesting than meat sports.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
People here care way too much about what streamers and Youtubers do and say. I'd rather hear nothing about them, good or bad. Ever. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there, but it feels like on balance it has platformed a larger number of undesirable people whose voices shouldn't be widely heard.

I also hate the degree to which "communities" coalesce around games or other forms of media. It seems to be an overwhelming net negative that promotes entitlement, gatekeeping, harrassment and other toxicity.

Last edited:

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
  • Have no interest in TikTok
  • "Influencers" is a dumb concept
  • I enjoy almost all chain pizza--it's not my favorite, but it's serviceable
  • Twitter is not real life and that will continue to be true no matter how much you think that's a boomer thing to say
  • I'm tired of people calling everything "wild"
  • Ditto for the expression "having a normal one"
  • The suburbs are ok
  • I like going to the movie theater
  • I still use Facebook and so does almost everyone I know
  • Most people spend far too much money on coffee
  • Everyone should budget and be mindful of how they spend their money
I have many. Nothing too controversial I guess, but definitely bordering on boomer/curmudgeon by today's standards.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I absolutely think music in general is better now than it's ever been (or at least has the potential to be), but so many of these Tik-Toks you see on Instagram ("I can't believe my sister did THIS") all have the same fucking song on it. Not literally the same, but it just sounds the same. It's like artists are making music just to end up in these shitty 10 second videos.

It's either some pitched voice girl singing over a chill beat or some flavor of the week medio rapper that sounds bored. That's it. Every video.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
  • I still use Facebook and so does almost everyone I know

So do I, as much as I hate it.

Maybe I am making excuses but I am in a profession which skews towards the whitebread and millennial/boomerish (high-school teaching in a middle-class area) and it is almost essential to have Facebook to stay socially relevant and networked with your colleagues. I tried to pivot my staffroom towards Discord and Teams during Covid but it didn't take.

It's also really hard to cut the cord once you have a kid and Facebook has become your way of keeping extended family in the loop.

I have fantasized about cutting the Facebook cord, but I doubt I will actually follow through.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
You realize you can just....stop feeling this way, right? Like work on yourself a little sheesh. This isn't just out of touch, it's fucking cruel
Right? There's a lot of wack opinions in this thread (that tattoo hate on the last page, hoo boy) but this is the only one that has actually made me think less of the person who wrote it. Looking down on someone because of a medical condition they can do nothing about it is straight up scummy.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Gen Z is having decidedly mixed success with their attempts to revive 90's fashion trends that Millenials kicked to the curb.

- Bringing back high-wasted pants/jeans (or "mom jeans" as we called them), is actually something I've come around to. It's a pretty cool look, much to my surprise.
- Less successful, however, is this bizarre attempt by young dudes to bring back the middle-part hairstyle that half of every 90s boy band sported. This, I refuse to accept. I'm telling you now, any guy that actually looks good with a middle-part (and there are very few) will always look even better with a good ol' side-part.

Let's all just hope and pray that the Zoomers don't try to resurrect frosted tips or godawful spray-tans that plagued the late 90s and early 2000s fashion.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
-Dabbing is stupid.
-The flossing dance became the "how do you do fellow kids" of dances the instant it became popular.
-"Elf" is a terrible movie and Will Ferrell has never once been funny in his entire life. It is not charming. It is Will Ferrell shouting LOOK AT ME for 2 hours.

Composer

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
- I don't get the appeal of TikTok
- Ditto for e-sports
- Ditto for streamers and Youtubers and influencers
- "Content creator" is a stupid fucking term for the above

You and I should hang out. Spot on for everything.

Here's mine:
90's Action/sci-fi female stars (Scully, Xena, Ripely, etc..) were way more progressive, than anything in the last 20 years. (I'm looking at you Wonder Woman).
Book stores are dope.
Singing over an instrumental-version of an already famous song is dumb. It shouldn't really count.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
From what I understand people use those platforms to talk to people in their inner circle. Why don't you just call them or send them a text message?
For me facebook is mostly to check in on friends/family that aren't in my inner circle but I still like to see how they are doing.

People like old friends from high school or cousins i grew up with that I'm no longer close enough to randomly call, text or hangout with but its still nice to see their big life events like getting married, having kids, buying a house, etc.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I don't get audio books. If I want to get into a book, I'll sit and focus on it. The hell are you listening to a book for while trying to do something else? (This opinion doesn't apply to the visually impaired).
I have to disagree, between work and family it can be really difficult to find time to sit and read so I'll listen to an audio book on my 2+ hour daily commute or when I take the dog for our evening walk.

But if you're talking about listening to an audio book while playing a video game or watching a movie or something than yeah thats weird.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
VHS is still an appealing format. So many things only released on it. And I cut my teeth on low quality images, so would never complain.

Oct 26, 2017
On this note, I don't consider e-sports a sport. Competition akin to chess/checkers/hungry hungry hippos? Sure.

Something that requires skills and technique? Yes.

But I think a sport needs an element of physicality.
Chess is recognized as a sport by the international Olympic committee. Darts and snooker are sports and require no physical exertion.
Competitive video games meet all the requirements of being a sport.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right? There's a lot of wack opinions in this thread (that tattoo hate on the last page, hoo boy) but this is the only one that has actually made me think less of the person who wrote it. Looking down on someone because of a medical condition they can do nothing about it is straight up scummy.
Yeah exactly, that and the awareness that it's wrong but the complete refusal to do anything about it. They should be ashamed of themselves for even posting it.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I don't understand the appeal of volggers on Youtube and why people watch them and give them money.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
To me, sports are only things which a)take place entirely in the real world, with no virtual anything, b) outside the total and absolute control of any single company and c)cannot physically be done without the countervailing force of an opponent. Esports are most certainly not sports, but so too aren't the likes of crew or track. They're competitive, yes, but not sports. That isn't to say that anything which fulfills the above criteria is therefore a sport, but rather, anything which does not fulfill it is then not a sport.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Video tutorials are dumb and inefficient. Most of the time is wasted by the person introducing themselves and telling people to subscribe to their channel. It's much quicker to just read an article and find your answer.

Tablets are useless. I made the mistake of buying one and it mostly collects dust. Either I will use my phone or my computer. There is rarely ever a situation where I want to reach for a tablet.

I miss small websites and blogs. It was fun to stumble across hidden gems.

Handheld gaming is dead and mobile games will never be a replacement.

I'm actually surprised at the people who say they don't understand streamers. They are basically just the modern version of talk shows. It's just someone chatting and reacting to stuff. Not sure what there isn't to get about that. I do think the culture of having to basically beg for donations is a little weird though.

Oct 27, 2017
Physical media is more important and precious to me than downloads. Convenience is all fun and games until the service runs out, or the content is rotated out, or DRM kicks in, or your hard drive gets fried. Fuck that. Give me my physical copies.

You'll have to pry my physical books, movies, games and CDs/LPs from my cold, dead hands. Physical forever.

Also, I don't like Radiohead.

Radiohead is boring, pretentious wankery made by and for boring, pretentious wanks.

Tool also fucking sucks.

True. Metal was at its best in the 80s and 90s.

Most tattoos are mistakes.
Change that to all and I'm there. It's a body bumper sticker.

My 20+ tattoos feel personally offended.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Copyright claims are stupid, and also dumb. Back in my day, people could play music in the backgrounds of videos without getting chastised or banned by their social platform.

If you "watched" a movie while looking at your phone, taking two 15-minute bathroom breaks, or getting distracted by some other nonsense, you didn't actually watch it. Serious films can only be fully experienced with your (more or less) undivided attention. You can't watch There Will Be Blood -- or something -- miss half of the nuances on the actors' faces, and then say that your viewing is worth just as much as that of someone who engaged with the whole thing.

Hustling 24/7 is a stupid mentality that invites burnout and ensures that you'll miss out on the moments and experiences that make life worthwhile. I scorn the fetishization of work just as much as boomers look down on "lazy" youngsters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.