• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
this is a league of legends youtuber

FY5Pdcj.png

butreallytho

Oct 27, 2017
I've been seeing forever that "thumbnails like these increase view counts" but I don't understand why. For me, they have the opposite effect as a viewer.
Anybody have any thoughts or links (preferably articles or posts, not a YouTube video) to help me understand this?

My contribution to the thread: an article from 2018 about these types of thumbnails with examples
openspace.sfmoma.org

Your Pretty Face is Going to Sell - Open Space

On YouTube, there’s a long tail of content that pretty much guarantees the inclusion of every potential human interest. There are skate videos, makeup tutorials, and backyard surgical removals of blackheads. And yet the presentation of a lot of this content — especially when it’s trying to...

And a bonus link about "YouTube voice" from 2015 (linked in above article)
www.theatlantic.com

Why Do So Many People on YouTube Sound the Same?

The attention-grabbing tricks of "YouTube voice"

Last edited:

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been seeing forever that "thumbnails like these increase view counts" but I don't understand why. For me, they have the opposite effect as a viewer.

Same here, I will never click on an ugly, repulsive, trying-to-be-edgy thumbnail. Or even on one where the host makes/ photoshopped to some unnatural face. But I'm 40, so these images probably have the opposing effect on young people.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chip Cheezum has some of the best ~classy~ thumbnails

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

And a couple of other recent ones I've seen that are good -

New Frame Plus

maxresdefault.jpg

Patrick H Willems

maxresdefault.jpg

Austin McConnell

maxresdefault.jpg

Basically, keep it simple, use solid color choices, and make it obvious what the video is about.

Of course that probably doesn't appease the algorithm gods and I absolutely understand why people go for the ugliest designs if they work. Must kill them a little bit inside each time, though.

Also can someone please tell digital foundry to stop formatting their text at the bottom of the thumbnail it drives me bananas

TyFSH0N.png