• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 29, 2018
Hell yes. I can't wait for this. They did a great job introducing Pike/Spock/Number One in Discovery season 2. I'd love it if this could be a bit more episodic than the first two seasons of Discovery and Picard, but I'm excited either way.

Interestingly Google was recommending me a bunch of sites that purported to have this news yesterday, but I didn't get excited/spread it around since I had never heard of any of those websites before. But more than one of them mentioned that the Section 31 show was being put on hold for this.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Glad this finally got confirmed. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

Sephiroth503

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly the news I needed to hear today. The Enterprise crew were really good in Disco S2 so delighted we'll get more of them.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Peck was a fine Spock, but I am most excited for more of Mount's Pike and Romijn to get her due. She was criminally underused in Discovery S2.

Oct 31, 2017
Interestingly Google was recommending me a bunch of sites that purported to have this news yesterday, but I didn't get excited/spread it around since I had never heard of any of those websites before. But more than one of them mentioned that the Section 31 show was being put on hold for this.

Well, yeah; I still don't trust any of those generic name geek sites but if this jumps ahead of Section 31 in production, that would be a big disappointment, to me.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017

Season 3 is, per the ending of season 2, set
950 years after Discovery seasons 1-2 took place - aka, around the start of the 33rd century. The Federation has apparently all but fallen apart, reduced to a rump state, though this is by inference of the flag in the trailer

Hmm on the one hand
setting it in the ruins of galactic civilization might just be really dreary
but on the other hand
maybe this will actually do the "limited resources, no support network, struggle for survival" thing better than Voyager

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
more than one of them mentioned that the Section 31 show was being put on hold for this.

Im okay with this. I love Michelle butI've had enough of the whole idea of Section 31. It violates my utopic future vibe, at best, and provides fodder for haters to say the entirety of the noble explorer Starfleet is a sham, at worst.

it was a Star Trek edgelord idea in the first place, and its only perverted into something worse in iteration.

Peck was a fine Spock, but I am most excited for more of Mount's Pike and Romijn to get her due. She was criminally underused in Discovery S2.

This right here. Our last major on-screen female first officer was the Velveteen Vulcan, so I already like the air of authority and competence Rebecca brought to her brief appearance.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017

Cavill is great, but Mount was always my number 1 Geralt pick. Dude looks like he was born to play him.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Glad we get to see more of that gorgeous new Enterprise bridge set.

O4hjpV4.jpg

REW

Oct 27, 2017
I very much hope this is mostly episodic. I've enjoyed all the new Trek shows, but i really want some classic style, new adventures every week, Trek.

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
Those two were the only things I liked about Discovery S2. I have zero hope for this with the current creative team but would be so happy to be wrong.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with more Discovery-style Trek, if they continue building on the plot from Picard as well, ideally in a spin-off show.
He has done a pretty good job so far imo, I love Discovery and Picard was good even if it had flaws.
Yeah, sure, Picard was the one with "flaws"

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
They were rumored to have been working on this for a while , but I doubt they were anywhere close to done.

Strange New Worlds imply that the series will be using the more classic Trek formula with an episodic format.

I know Kurtzman wanted each series to have a slightly different format and style so I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah! This could actually be a proper old school Star Trek show! Discovery is pretty good it's just so much of the cast were very emotional making Pike and Spock so critical because they were the only two that weren't crying all the time. This is really cool news.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, okay. I liked Pike and Spock in DIS S2, but I just want more stuff set in the 25th century beyond Picard seasons 2 and 3.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with more Discovery-style Trek, if they continue building on the plot from Picard as well, ideally in a spin-off show.

Yeah, sure, Picard was the one with "flaws"
Yes it was. I'm not saying Discovery was perfect but Picard way way more flawed and I enjoyed it less than Discovery.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this one is more episodic. It's a good set up for something like that, and personally I'm over every Star Trek season being a save the galaxy in a season plot line.

Also hopefully it's shot more like Picard vs Discovery. Picard is hardly perfect, but it was significantly better than Discovery in this regard.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I really hate Discovery, but Pike was one of the shining spots. I just dont trust anything they are putting out right now, its all just garbage scripting, good actors and character's can only take you so far if your scripting crew is wannabe daily soap opera rejects.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate Discovery, but Pike was one of the shining spots. I just dont trust anything they are putting out right now, its all just garbage scripting, good actors and character's can only take you so far if your scripting crew is wannabe daily soap opera rejects.
Its not even that they're wannabe soap opera rejects, its that they're wannabe prestige TV rejects. Its all about season long dramatic plots that highlight how fundamentally special and important the main cast is

Oct 25, 2017
This has serious potential and I love the Enterprise sets in Discovery Season 2 more than I love anything in the franchise since TNG has ended. One of my biggest questions is whether they will have Dr Boyce from the original pilot as a regular on the show. The dynamic between him an Pike was really interesting.

I mean just look at that...

Ent-Dis-Sea2.gif

Definitely not a bad looking enterprise bridge! Updated but very recognizable.

QtmLPyn.png

As compared to...

CO1vi3N.png

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Alex Kurtzman sucks at getting "trek" in my opinion. All the things he has been involved with are things I did not enjoy even after giving them a lot of time.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Alex Kurtzman sucks at getting "trek" in my opinion. All the things he has been involved with are things I did not enjoy even after giving them a lot of time.
Kurtzman is not really interested in politics and he's not really interested in systems. He's interested in "special people" and apocalyptic threats that they must stop, and his work is so horribly one note because of it

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I just learned that Ethan Peck is Gregory Peck's grandson, and I feel like I should have picked up on that much, much sooner.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's 100% what they should do.

Make it an anthology where the crew explores strange new worlds (*GASP*) and at no point gets involved in a battle for the fate of the universe, and we might have something here.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Between this, the Section 31 show and Discovery, I'm happy where Trek is heading.

Never thought Picard would be the weakest of the bunch.

Huddy

Feb 11, 2018
Best news in forever.

Mount nailed Pike, he was a shining light in Discovery S2, can't ******* wait!

YESSSSSSSS

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Yes it was. I'm not saying Discovery was perfect but Picard way way more flawed and I enjoyed it less than Discovery.
Couldn't disagree more. But I also understand that Discovery and Picard are trying to do and be very different things. In the case of Discovery, I don't really understand what that is, but I have to assume the people making had some idea.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This will be huge. I imagine it will get some critics onboard since this version of pike has been almost universally adored.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Anson Mount's line about the show dealing with optimism and the future gives me hope. It's a subtle acknowledgement that the criticisms have been heard.I will allow myself a bit of optimism in turn.