• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
CBS All Access is firing up the USS Enterprise.

The streamer has handed out a straight-to-series order for Star Trek: Discovery spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The drama will see Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprise their respective Discovery roles as Capt. Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One as the series explores the years the former manned the helm of the Enterprise. The show follows the trio in the decade before Capt. Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

Alex Kurtzman will oversee the drama, as he does with all things Star Trek for CBS All Access. The series premiere was written by Akiva Goldsman, who collaborated with Discovery bosses Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet on the story. The trio exec produce alongside Henry Alonso Myers, Kurtzman's Secret Hideout topper Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Aaron Baiers, Akela Cooper and Davy Perez co-exec produce.

"When we said we heard the fans' outpouring of love for Pike, Number One and Spock when they boarded Star Trek: Discovery last season, we meant it," said franchise captain Kurtzman. "These iconic characters have a deep history in Star Trek canon, yet so much of their stories has yet to be told. With Akiva and Henry at the helm, the Enterprise, its crew and its fans are in for an extraordinary journey to new frontiers in the Star Trekuniverse."

Strange New Worlds marks the third live-action scripted Star Trek series and fourth overall for CBS All Access, joining the flagship Discovery, Patrick Stewart vehicle Picard and forthcoming animated series Lower Decks. Another Discovery spinoff — Section 31, starring Michelle Yeoh — is also in development for the streamer. A younger-skewing CG-animated series is also in development for CBS All Access corporate sibling Nickelodeon. All of them are exec produced by Kurtzman. Goldsman, it's worth noting, will remain an executive producer and on Picard. All of the series hail from CBS TV Studios, where Kurtzman is under a rich overall deal, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Star Trek’ Pike and Spock Series Set at CBS All Access

Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn will reprise their 'Discovery' roles for 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' on CBS All Access.

finally! hit it!

Last edited:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The streamer has handed out a straight-to-series order for Star Trek: Discovery spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The drama will see Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprise their respective Discovery roles as Capt. Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One as the series explores the years the former manned the helm of the Enterprise. The show follows the trio in the decade before Capt. Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

Please please please get a better creative team on thi-

Alex Kurtzman will oversee the drama, as he does with all things Star Trek for CBS All Access
Oh godfucking damnit

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I will say if they stick to the "modern interpretation of the classic Enterprise interior design" I'll watch this purely for the fanservice so fuck it, I guess they got me

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Three big swings at new Trek seasons from Kurtzman and three misses.

I have no reason to think that this would be any different.

However Anson Mount was excellent as Pike so I'll probably check out at least the first episode of this.

*sigh *

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I want some future track. 50-100 years post Voyager or Picard. That way the sets and sfx makes sense.

Seriously them having touch screens before Kirk and Archer fucks with my "will actually" nerd bone

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
If Kurtzman can restrain the urge to do some season spanning save the galaxy shit, I'm in.

If he can't, I'm still mostly in, but dammit I know I'm likely gonna be disappointed with where that sub-plot goes, whatever it is

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
If Kurtzman can restrain the urge to do some season spanning save the galaxy shit, I'm in.

If he can't, I'm still mostly in, but dammit I know I'm likely gonna be disappointed with where that sub-plot goes, whatever it is
I guarantee someone will be special because of their blood, literal or metaphorical

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I want some future track. 50-100 years post Voyager or Picard. That way the sets and sfx makes sense.

Seriously them having touch screens before Kirk and Archer fucks with my "will actually" nerd bone
Do we have any idea what Discovery S3 actually is so far? Its been my hope that it will be exactly this

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't love or hate Discovery but good lord did Picard make me realise how much worse it could have been. I don't have high hopes for this at all though, it needs a big shift in leadership. Shame they can't get someone like Simon Pegg as a showrunner.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Instantly my "most wanted" Trek series now. Loved Pike in Discovery, Spock was ok, and Number 1 was promising.

Still a bit disappointed about Picard, though. That was supposed to be "it" for me!

Oct 31, 2017
ok cool but when does Disco Season 3 premier? I'm trying to be patient but I've been ready

I like Pike but didn't LOVE him like so many other people but I'm really interested in seeing more of Number One, Spock and that dope Enterprise set

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
ok cool but when does Disco Season 3 premier? I'm trying to be patient but I've been ready

I like Pike but didn't LOVE him like so many other people but I'm really interested in seeing more of Number One, Spock and that dope Enterprise set

I believe they are waiting for the music to be recorded for discovery s3 and that might take a while because of the way the world is

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for something a bit more episodic. This sounds like a nice setup for that, and a chance for the creative team to return to some classic format a bit.

It'd be kind of ironic if this new totally serialized batch of Trek was invigorated by an episodic series. Kind of the mirror image of what happened last time with DS9.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy that I will have such a deep backlog of Star Trek to watch whenever they retire CBS All Access and roll it into a HBO Max type subscription with Showtime

Oct 31, 2017
I believe they are waiting for the music to be recorded for discovery s3 and that might take a while because of the way the world is

I know... I'm just being impatient lol

It'd be nice if they dropped the entire season to binge instead of making us wait to watch new episodes weekly

Score the entire thing with tracks from TOS. Boom. Done.
youtu.be

Star Trek background music.

Audio rights goes to Paramount and Gene Roddenberry.

2) Put that shit on CBS All Access
3) Profit

Make it so

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Picard is why I'm worried about this. The worst Kurtzmanisms combined with the worst trends of modern serialized storytelling. If this ends up more like Discovery I'll be happier

Totally agree with you. The meandering pace of Peak-TV is really grating when it's not done by the Matthew Weiner, Vince Gilligan and David Chase's of this world.

But I always find myself optimistic again at the time of such announcements.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just happy that I will have such a deep backlog of Star Trek to watch whenever they retire CBS All Access and roll it into a HBO Max type subscription with Showtime

Just add CBS as a channel through Prime. Great streaming quality for Trek, plus 30 years of The Young and the Restless!

But seriously. Artists charge for content, can we get over that yet?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any idea what Discovery S3 actually is so far? Its been my hope that it will be exactly this

Season 3 is, per the ending of season 2, set
950 years after Discovery seasons 1-2 took place - aka, around the start of the 33rd century. The Federation has apparently all but fallen apart, reduced to a rump state, though this is by inference of the flag in the trailer

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Just add CBS as a channel through Prime. Great streaming quality for Trek, plus 30 years of The Young and the Restless!

But seriously. Artists charge for content, can we get over that yet?
But I already can stream all of start trek on Prime without needing a CBS Subscription!
I get that Artists have to charge for content, but CBS is asking for $10 a month and there is literally nothing else on their service

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017

Blame the Kelvin movies for making six times the revenue of anything else with the name on it. But yes, your post is accurate to my response as well. I'm hoping for episodic, maybe a few plot threads from season to season TNG style or some two-and-three part épica like Manny Coto's Enterprise. Guess we'll see, won't we? ;)

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
But I already can stream all of start trek on Prime without needing a CBS Subscription!
I get that Artists have to charge for content, but CBS is asking for $10 a month and there is literally nothing else on their service
I for one feel that they provide a very robust catalog. Why just the other night I was watching The Twilight Zone, followed by the 1960s Mission Impossible show! I can't count the number of good shows on one hand

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017

How many new Star Trek series are worth $10 a month appears to be the operative question. Unless you're also a fan of The Mentalist. It is nice having 60 Minutes on demand.

I let my mom watch Y&R and Bold and the Beautiful through my login when DirectTV and CBS had a contract dispute, too.

I waste $10 a month on dumber shit, guaranteed. I spend that in Steam games I never launch, for sure.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This has serious potential and I love the Enterprise sets in Discovery Season 2 more than I love anything in the franchise since TNG has ended. One of my biggest questions is whether they will have Dr Boyce from the original pilot as a regular on the show. The dynamic between him an Pike was really interesting.

I mean just look at that...

Ent-Dis-Sea2.gif

Last edited: