• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As Knives Out concludes yet another strong weekend at the box office, writer-director Rian Johnson is already working on a follow-up to his hit original whodunit, lining up a potential franchise for Lionsgate.

Johnson told The Hollywood Reporter at Lionsgate's pre-Golden Globes party on Saturday night that he was already developing a sequel centered on Craig's Southern detective Benoit Blanc investigating a new case. He added that he was eager to make the film quickly, ideally in the next year.

Lionsgate and MRC's Knives Out, made for a reported $40 million and boasting a star-studded cast including Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, Christopher Plummer and Toni Collette, became a shining beacon for original films in a 2019 box office dominated by sequels and franchises. It is up for three Golden Globe awards on Sunday - best comedy/musical picture and best comedy/musical actor and actress for Craig and co-star Ana de Armas. (MRC shares a parent company, Valence Media, with The Hollywood Reporter.)

Lionsgate has not officially greenlit a Knives Out sequel, but given the film's $247 million haul worldwide, the film could be the beginning of a lucrative franchise for the studio and for Craig as he wraps up his stint as James Bond in the upcoming No Time to Die. Lionsgate film president Joe Drake told THR at Saturday's party that he's eager to read a script.
No real surprise, but nice to get something a little more concrete. I could watch a lot more CSI KFC.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be interest to see if he can avoid making a straight who dunnit again, since that structure will be tough to duplicate. Pretty exciting either way.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
good shit, the first was a really fun twist on a classic murder mystery

you can tell rian is a fan of the genre

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Johnson did tell the Filmcast that he would hop right onto a sequel if the first was successful, so not too surprised. Looking forward to it!

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Lionsgate finally get a win. Let Johnson and Craig go nuts.

He added that he was eager to make the film quickly, ideally in the next year.
Wonder if he's worried about potential clashes with his Star Wars scheduling.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
With this, and Death on the Nile being another big budget Poirot film...

is the whodunit back?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! I remember talking to someone here about how cool it'd be to have a Benoit Blanc franchise, like a sort of modern-day Poirot.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6x budget to box office multiplier makes this a no brainer, the first movie is quite a big hit for the studio.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Glad we're getting this. Branaghs christie movie sucked ass so i needed a good alternative that also had an interesting cast

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will Benoit Blanc have a different accent this film as Rian Johnson has bemused himself on twitter?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I hope he can make 3 and have Daniel Craig do a different but equally awful accent in every one.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Fantastic news. Hope we get more whodunnits because I eat them up.

Craig as Inspector KFC is sooooo much more fun than his depressed James Bond.

Domino Theory

Ripple Effect Studios
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
I've seen Knives Out three times already. Love it and Rian's work. It feels appropriate for them to have Blanc be the main thread for future movies, but please bring Evans as Ransom back!

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
YES

Benoit Blanc cinematic universe here we come

0d1baaec382718e2196e64b94179f5c8510d46bc.gifv

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Yay. I loved Knives Out. This is easily my favorite performance of Craig's and I want more of the character.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I've seen Knives Out three times already. Love it and Rian's work. It feels appropriate for them to have Blanc be the main thread for future movies, but please bring Evans as Ransom back!
giphy.gif

man, one of the reasons i love murder mystery film adaptations in the ensemble cast

it's always so much fun

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I absolutely loved Knives Out, but I really don't see how you can make a sequel for it. Really feels like a one off, but if they find a way to make it magical then down for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Now I want a retelling of Brick with Blanc investigating the whole thing. I think this idea could work as long as he does different locales/character types.