• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Give us H.E.R.B.I.E.

Justice for H.E.R.B.I.E.

We better get Dragon Man too and the Moloids I love them

odvs6bt7wxm01.jpg

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Just realized that we could possibly get an interaction between MCU Cap and 2000s F4 Johnny Storm via some multiverse shenanigans

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Id argue a lot of people don't know the origin. If it wasn't for that last movie, I would've forgotten they were astronauts or something like that.
They can show a clip when some reporter asks, "so, how did the Four of you become so Fantastic?" It doesn't need to be half of a movie.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
No origin story? The hell? So the F4 somehow just always existed in the MCU? And no one has mentioned them until now?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
No origin story? The hell? So the F4 somehow just always existed in the MCU? And no one has mentioned them until now?

There will either be a reason for that or they get their origin in the modern MCU, it's just gonna be quickly recapped or something and not the focus of the first movie.

He's just saying we are not gonna be waiting half the movie for them to get their powers and the other have to accept them and figure them out. These characters will hit the ground running in the MCU like Spider-Man, and they can get right into the weirder and more adventurous side of the F4 that previous movies didn't show us.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
There will either be a reason for that or they get their origin in the modern MCU, it's just gonna be quickly recapped or something and not the focus of the first movie.

He's just saying we are not gonna be waiting half the movie for them to get their powers and the other have to accept them and figure them out. These characters will hit the ground running in the MCU like Spider-Man, and they can get right into the weirder and more adventurous side of the F4 that previous movies didn't show us.

Hmm, ok. Well maybe that alone is a clue. Potentiality that a portal just opens at the start of the movie and another universes F4 just becomes the main universes MCU? I don't see how they'd hit the ground running and pretend they were here all along without them literally just showing up, tearing through universes in the middle of a fight or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Hmm, ok. Well maybe that alone is a clue. Potentiality that a portal just opens at the start of the movie and another universes F4 just becomes the main universes MCU? I don't see how they'd hit the ground running and pretend they were here all along without them literally just showing up, tearing through universes in the middle of a fight or something.

Could have been trapped in the Negative Zone or out in space, or maybe Kang/He Who Remains time-manipulated them out of existence or some shit. There are a million comic booky ways they can work them into the modern MCU without breaking continuity.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
All that means is they won't spend 2 hours on who they are, how they met, how they got their powers, learning to use them, and becoming a team for the final ~20 minutes of the movie.

NO lol there have been dozens of ideas in this thread about how they could do it without resorting to that kind of unimaginative multiverse emergency lever. I even made a post earlier summarizing like 5 of them:

• They were a team in the 60s working with Hank Pym and got lost in the Quantum Realm

• They were a team in the past unconnected to Hank and did their own experiments and got lost in the Negative Zone (which is likely going to come into play in The Marvels)

• They're a modern team and their origin is told via flashbacks theoughout the entire movie

• They're a modern team and their origin is told in the background across multiple other projects like The Marvels and Secret Invasion, similar to what they're starting to do with Mutants

Example:
Fury is up on the SWORD station and introduces someone to his top scientist Reed Richards. He can either have his powers and give a brief 3-sentence summary of how he got them there, or he doesn't have powers yet and it happens in another show. Or in-between shows.

• They're a modern team and their origin is covered in a montage for the first 3-5 minutes of the movie

Example:
The movie could just start with a home movie of Reed's proposal to Sue. He wants it to be special and against better judgement and warnings of danger he gets his pilot friend Ben Grim to fly them into space so he can propose against the backdrop of the cosmos with Sue's brother Johnny along to film it. While up there they get hit with cosmic radiation, the camera shorts out. Clips of their bodies warping horrifically, clips of them training with their powers, clips of them making their suits, ending in a fantastic wedding and the Marvel Studios logo. 3-5 minutes and it's done. Movie starts with "Six months later" or something and we hit the ground running.

• He Who Remains knows that any Reed existing will inevitably result in a Kang so he's been purposefully stopping Reed or Nathaniel Richards from coming into existence in any timeline, and now that he's dead, Reeds can exist and form the Fantastic Four

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Good. Origin stories suck.

It's not like the FF's origin is really interesting, anyway, and part of the reason the last two FF movies blew was because they kept trying to tie everything into the origin story. Quit putting Doom there with them! Let him be his own thing.

Just do a five-minute flashback to explain their origins to anyone who cares. Heck, make it the animated intro to the movie Rankin Bass-style or something.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
All that means is they won't spend 2 hours on who they are, how they met, how they got their powers, learning to use them, and becoming a team for the final ~20 minutes of the movie.

NO lol there have been dozens of ideas in this thread about how they could do it without resorting to that kind of unimaginative multiverse emergency lever. I even made a post earlier summarizing like 5 of them:

• They were a team in the 60s working with Hank Pym and got lost in the Quantum Realm

• They were a team in the past unconnected to Hank and did their own experiments and got lost in the Negative Zone (which is likely going to come into play in The Marvels)

• They're a modern team and their origin is told via flashbacks theoughout the entire movie

• They're a modern team and their origin is told in the background across multiple other projects like The Marvels and Secret Invasion, similar to what they're starting to do with Mutants

Example:
Fury is up on the SWORD station and introduces someone to his top scientist Reed Richards. He can either have his powers and give a brief 3-sentence summary of how he got them there, or he doesn't have powers yet and it happens in another show. Or in-between shows.

• They're a modern team and their origin is covered in a montage for the first 3-5 minutes of the movie

Example:
The movie could just start with a home movie of Reed's proposal to Sue. He wants it to be special and against better judgement and warnings of danger he gets his pilot friend Ben Grim to fly them into space so he can propose against the backdrop of the cosmos with Sue's brother Johnny along to film it. While up there they get hit with cosmic radiation, the camera shorts out. Clips of their bodies warping horrifically, clips of them training with their powers, clips of them making their suits, ending in a fantastic wedding and the Marvel Studios logo. 3-5 minutes and it's done. Movie starts with "Six months later" or something and we hit the ground running.

• He Who Remains knows that any Reed existing will inevitably result in a Kang so he's been purposefully stopping Reed or Nathaniel Richards from coming into existence in any timeline, and now that he's dead, Reeds can exist and form the Fantastic Four

Awesome, haha, yeah, I guess all of these would work. I like the idea of slowly introducing them throughout post credit scenes throughout the next phase and a half. Or just showing small scenes of their origins in the other movies.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Strange decission for the f4, not gonna lie. Could always be not an origin story, but still show the backstory and then jump in time.

Also, why not ask Brad Bird about directing. He made the best f4 movie in existance and mi4 was great.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Honestly I think it's going the Endgame route.

They will show an abridged version of the comic origin.

The experimental space ship who's mission got scrubbed.

Reed bringing in Sue, Johnny and Ben to break in and due the mission anyways.

The cosmic rays bombard the ship. They all start to transform and crash somewhere.

They marvel at their new powers and you get this shot

fantastic-four-hands-in-a-circle-133540.jpg

Then the Marvel opening and a black screen that says, "X YEARS LATER"

I would like to point out that the first issue of the Fantastic Four gave 5 pages to the origin in a 40+ page book and wasn't even started until page 9.

Oct 8, 2019
Reed Richards will most likely be in his 40-60's because that was what Marvel was looking for the mysterious Benefactor which is most likely Doom goven the information we now have.

I fully expect that the explanation is that the Fantastic Four went missing in like the Negative Zone, and have only now returned alongside Reed and Sunsan's two teenage children.

thegww.com

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios Casting "The Benefactor" - Norman Osborn Finally Coming To The MCU?

Marvel Studios may already be casting the first big Phase 4 villain. The GWW has obtained a character breakdown for someone under the code name “The Benefactor.” All that is known about the character is that he is a “mysterious and nefarious benefactor.” The studio is searching for a male actor...

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to point out that the first issue of the Fantastic Four gave 5 pages to the origin in a 40+ page book and wasn't even started until page 9.
Sure if you want to reduce their story to that 5 pages this decision is fine. However you will be ignoring decades of building the characters and relationship, not to mention the interaction between Reed/Doom.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Sure if you want to reduce their story to that 5 pages this decision is fine. However you will be ignoring decades of building the characters and relationship, not to mention the interaction between Reed/Doom.
Which can be built up in the movies.

Doom's first appearance didn't spend the whole comic talking about there relationship to each other. Fantastic Four #5 spent 5 panels on a single page setting it up. It then was built up more ove the last 60 years.

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Right choice, I don't want two hours of that. BUT that doesn't mean we won't get an origin. I think their origin will be worked into the movies leading up to phase 6.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
All you need is somebody taking a two minute tour through the baxter building in order for some tour guide to give an abridged origin story to the audience

no big deal

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
There are so many ways you can go over their origin in the movie without having to make the whole movie about it. A small 10-15min sequence before the title, a couple lines of dialogue spread throughout the film or even the visual end credits sequence. Don't need the whole movie to tell us they got space radiation
Yup. You can pretty briefly show them going to space and getting their powers and then skip ahead to already being active and knowing their shit.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Which can be built up in the movies.

Doom's first appearance didn't spend the whole comic talking about there relationship to each other. Fantastic Four #5 spent 5 panels on a single page setting it up. It then was built up more ove the last 60 years.

Yes, but I feel they are speeding up to reach the current status soon, and Doom to become a major player in Secret Wars (as it should be).

And in those movies they don't have the luxury of taking the time, actors do old.

They need to set up the characterization right, so I worry they will skip important bits.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The origin stories are the worst part of every super hero film series. Just youtube it if you are curious

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yes, but I feel they are speeding up to reach the current status soon, and Doom to become a major player in Secret Wars (as it should be).

And in those movies they don't have the luxury of taking the time, actors do old.

They need to set up the characterization right, so I worry they will skip important bits.

I'm worried about this too as i don't think 1 year is enough time to go from F4 to Secret Wars but they are hopefully approaching it as just one of multiple events that will shape Reed and Doom's relationship instead of the culmination of all those years of buildup like 2015 Secret Wars was.