• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be shocked if Foxx is playing an MCU version of Electro, independent from TASM 2.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or they're just using him because he's an amazing actor, he liked playing Elektro, Feige liked his Elektro, and they'll just create a new Elektro with a new story in the MCU.

This is a series that didn't want to touch Uncle Ben or the Goblins, there is no way they are just simply doing a hard reboot of Electro 5 years later with the same actor.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a series that didn't want to touch Uncle Ben or the Goblins, there is no way they are just simply doing a hard reboot of Electro 5 years later with the same actor.

There's no comparison to how often Uncle Ben and the goblins have been adapted in popular media when compared to Elektro.

I think it's far more likely they're hiring a talented actor for a role he once played to join the MCU than to bring in the same story from the story and movie that made Sony amenable to Spidey in the MCU in the first place.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
It could be both he could be playing a new version and the ASM version could show up to intro Spiderverse.

Spiderverse could be their next Civil War in terms of tentpole.

Oct 27, 2017
Could it be that he's playing the character in Spider-Verse 2 and someone has picked up the story or passed on the rumour slightly wrong?

It would be a really odd decision if he reprises the role in Spider-Man: Homesick (or whatever it will be called) unless that film is going full-on multiple dimensions. If they are going that route I actually think two versions of Electro from different dimensions teaming up to fight Spidey could be pretty cool.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Fiege is directly managing this version of Spidey, I think this is a good chance to fix some mistakes of the past. Strange choice, but they probably have a good ideas to show something unique.

Spidey will be a fugutive in this sequel, so story has to be different than in other films.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda feel like their stance changed after seeing JK Simmons reprising as JJ.

Also...I'm guessing Feige really like Jamie Foxx performance Netflix's Project Power.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Blu-Ray-3.jpg

Nice, I knew that this Collector's Item would appreciate in value nicely.
What the hell

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Does sound like Sony are trying to stand in their own way, of them making another decent Spider Man movie.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
If they bring back Dafoe but actually give him a good Goblin costume this time, i'm in.
He made a great Norman.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
This casting is Mental Tourture.

Almost a Self Destroyer for the character of Electro

This makes my Pulse racing

Bit mind destructing this one is

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yep! It's in the Sony mail leaks, he actually liked that part of Electro lol

In general he liked Electro as a whole, except for the dumb kid-like personality before transformation.
Very weird. I remember reading some of his take aways from the TASM series but I must've missed that. I'm not mad about this signing because there is no way they can do worse than TASM 2.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Very weird news. I do get a Sony exec vibe from even revisiting such a character, so my first reaction was multiverse? Feige did say something strange in his press statement for us to expect surprises as Spider-Man is the only hero who can cross universes and the Morbius trailer was all sorts of weird with Keaton and the Raimi costume graffiti but I chalked that up to Sony incompetence and them just doing what they wanted even if it's not canon to the MCU.

That said if it's somehow a spiderverse type of movie, wouldn't it be more important for Andrew or Tobey to sign on first before they make that story decision? Kind of like they needed Robert Downey Jr. to sign on for Cap 3 or it wouldn't have been Civil War. Could they have somehow kept that under wraps but not Jamie Foxx? I don't see that. Unless it's a very brief scene to establish he's hopping dimensions and they either don't need other Spider-Men to show up or just throw a stunt man in the TASM2 suit? Not sure. Like perhaps it's just for a silly sequence of events before Holland lands in Tom Hardy and Jared Leto's universe as awful as that would be. I hope not and Foxx seems too big of an actor to waste on a gag like that.

It could also turn out to be a Marvel Studios decision and they're just rebooting Electro with the same actor the same way they did with J.K Simmons as Jameson but its still a weird pick. If you're going to do a villain that was seen on screen already why Electro? I highly doubt he's the main villain. Perhaps it's something to do with him being a prominent member of the Sinister Six in the comics? I've always felt like Sony's had this lowkey ambition of building up to an eventual S6 movie with villain actors reprising their roles as sort of like an anti-Avengers phase 1, so maybe they landed on Electro to fill up the roster and thought giving Foxx another shot would lend it more weight after the constant reboot fatigue. You'd still have to reestablish him though so i'm not sure how much it helps, but it's what I'll assume for now. If it's multiverse i'm sure we'll get more indicators before the movie releases.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I liked the design of Foxx's Electro a lot (in fact I liked the Rhino design too). The issue was always just the story of him being a fanboy and the bullshit that causes his turn being something as childish as having the news pay attention to Spider-man for four seconds or whatever. On top of the muddy characterization & motivations they also gave him so little to do in that movie especially compared to the threat and character they built up with Vulture in Homecoming

Last edited:

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
So, they are simply giving it another shot with Jamie Fox? I like it, a very unique move. Hopefully they will officially confirm the casting and some story details so we can end the speculation about multiverses.

It would not be so hard to create a a brand new Electro origin and on-screen presence. Script for the ASM2 was really meh regarding him.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
In a way it makes sense that the same actor can/should play the same character across the multiverse. DC has done it plenty of times in the Flash tv show. John Wesley Shipp played the OG Flash in the 90's, Barry's dad and Jay Garrick in the current Flash show. So, even if he's not A Barry Allen, he's still tangentially connected to the Flash universe and characters.

Now, why we have 3 different looking Peter's, eh, some things don't always stay the same across the multiverse. But seeing Simmons as JJ from the Tobey series and Foxx as Electro from the Garfield series now all in this new 3rd universe, it makes sense if you think about comic book logic.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Looks like the Marvel snipers got to Foxx since he deleted the post.

Here's what he posted:

spider-man-3-jamie-foxx-instagram-electro-spider-verse-1239312.jpeg

Can't wait to see classic yellow/green Electro! And the artwork seems to confirm Spider-Verse???

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I love how he simultaneously confirmed his Electro is new but also posted fan art with Andrew and Tobey to add to the confusion.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This totally upsets the continuity of the reboot. lame.

Not necessarily. It could just be accepted that this is an alternative world. They already did this in spiders, with Mary Jane be on the same voice actress and appearance in her world but Peter Parker being played by two different people (and having subtle differences physically) in another world. Also, impression I got is that the Bugle has always been a TV station in this world but our favorite J Jonah Jameson has always worked there.