• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Will Smith did a great job with what he had to work with, so of all the characters to be re-cast it's a shame it had to be him. But Idris would nail this role and it's something I'd definitely love to see.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Obsession is one of my favorite movies, but idris doesn't have half of willie talent and charm. I never figured out how he became the internet's black actor in a world with Denzel, micheal jai white, and that dude from the all state commercials

Will Smith always kinda seemed like Tom Cruise to me, in that he has way more charisma than acting talent really.

That said Will was fine in Suicide Squad, the problems were mostly with the script/writing.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Wasn't he constantly whining about how empty super hero movies are and how he hated his time on Thor because it wasn't as meaningful as his other roles? I don't criticize him for having that point of view, to each his own. But to then come back in another cape flick? Lame.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't he constantly whining about how empty super hero movies are and how he hated his time on Thor because it wasn't as meaningful as his other roles? I don't criticize him for having that point of view, to each his own. But to then come back in another cape flick? Lame.

He was a bit player in Thor. Maybe they are promising something a little meatier here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
giphy.gif

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It's always jarring when characters' actors are replaced, but at the same time, I'd love to see Elba in this movie. I hope this happens.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
At this point we can assume anyone who's not Gal, Mamoa and Margot (and maybe Ezra) are getting recasted.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
He's probably salty that he jumped on the first offer they gave him for a bit part when he probably could have been Black Panther if he waited.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have loved to see him as John Stewart... Will have to settle for this I guess. Good get for DC anyway.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like they should have just moved on from the character but sure. If you're going to replace Will, that's a good choice.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Damn Will. Thought they were ditching the character of Deadshot entirely, not re-casting. How do you choose Aladdin over this

They're not related. Aladdin comes out this summer while SS2 hasn't started production.

It sounds like it was for Bad Boys, but that's probably an excuse. The studio must have him under contract for a sequel, they could've forced him but probably preferred to recast.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Cast him as Green Lantern, you cowards. Don't waste him on a second tier villain.

"I like that I have a little part in Thor. I'm neither movie star or day player. It allows me to do other things I love. The last one [Ragnarok] was fun. The others weren't fun. They're work. But on this one, Taika [Waititi, the director] was great. I wish I was more present in the Marvel family. I like what I have, but I also wish that I had a bigger character in the Marvel universe... It's been great, but I kinda think I need a bit more. I want to be a superhero. I like the idea of that."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/idris-elba-heimdall-mcu-character/amp/

It seems like it was mostly the experience of the job in the first two films that he couldn't stand. Some conjecture here but in Ragnarok he was running around, outside, actually acting and doing stuff whereas in the first two films he was just standing around all the time with a silly costume, sword and most likely always on a green screen.

Idris is fine with other dumb roles or supporting roles in films like Pacific Rim and Hobbs and Shaw after all. Pure conjecture but by his own complaints J couldly easily imagine that those were likely simply more enjoyable and fulfilling to actually work on than playing Heimdall.

Lantern is gonna be a child heavy film if we ever get another, he's probably not gonna be into that.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Obsession is one of my favorite movies, but idris doesn't have half of willie talent and charm. I never figured out how he became the internet's black actor in a world with Denzel, micheal jai white, and that dude from the all state commercials

The internet watched The Wire, where Idris Elba turned in a better performance than Will Smith's entire career put together.

Huge upgrade.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure he recently said he doesn't know if Heimdall is dead, but he would like to come back, and at other points he has indicated he would also like to be cast in a bigger role in the universe. So ... who knows?