• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I was honestly surprised by this news.

My knee-jerk reaction is to be pessimistic about it and question the reasons behind this decision by all parties involved. However, I have learned over the years to be careful with my first impressions. So, I'm open to the project until I find out more about it. Like, why are they continuing the story? Why is Kit Harrington coming back when he clearly said he never wanted to again? Is George ok with this? What would the story even be about? Would other GoT cast members be coming back? Etc.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

George is working very closely with HBO on all these new projects so I guess if it's real he's OK with it.

But we'll have to wait until he comments on it

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
This will probably be the worst GoT show but will have the biggest audience due to Kit Harrington's star power, and because nerds want to know what happens "next" more than they want to know about some old Targarian drama where we already know too much about the "canon".

The only show that makes sense to me is a Fall of Valyria show. We know nothing about this period so it's free for someone to write an interesting story. Of course they aren't making this show.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that they wanted us to believe that the north isn't (as) cold any more because that one dude got stabbed. That's how I took the flower growing at the end at least. Not only did stabbing him beat the existential threat of a supernatural winter, it also defeated normal weather patterns and destroyed the existing climate and ecosystem in the north so that Jon could be slightly more comfortable in his ending.
I mean, they established that the north wasn't always as desolate and cold back in season 6 with the flashbacks via Bran.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
This will probably be the worst GoT show but will have the biggest audience due to Kit Harrington's star power, and because nerds want to know what happens "next" more than they want to know about some old Targarian drama where we already know too much about the "canon".

The only show that makes sense to me is a Fall of Valyria show. We know nothing about this period so it's free for someone to write an interesting story. Of course they aren't making this show.

This is dismissive of HOT D to an exent that's a bit absurd. Why adapt any written story to film, like the first five ASOIAF novels (though I maintain that Feast/Dance weren't exactly adapted), when some of the audience (fans) already know the story?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm actually kinda into this. If they can make it good it can remove some of the bad taste of the original show's ending, like how Mandalorian dulled how bad TROS was.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
A new story, hopefully by better writers, that eventually gets him on a new Iron Throne... with the help of a dragon, of course.

I'm pretty sure that they wanted us to believe that the north isn't (as) cold any more because that one dude got stabbed. That's how I took the flower growing at the end at least. Not only did stabbing him beat the existential threat of a supernatural winter, it also defeated normal weather patterns and destroyed the existing climate and ecosystem in the north so that Jon could be slightly more comfortable in his ending.
I mean, they established that the north wasn't always as desolate and cold back in season 6 with the flashbacks via Bran.
Yes, I agree. Season 6 was also terribly written.
GRRM has himself indicated in the past that the weather patterns in Westeros (the super-long seasons) may be magical in nature, so that defeating the others restored the normal weather cycle isn't some out of nowhere idea.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Legitimately the reason I'm honestly interested in this still is just that it didn't really feel like season 8 ended anything. The political situation was still a shitshow and I was like "Wait! What happens to the North? Who gets all those empty castles? What about the Night's Watch?"
It was all a mad dash to the finish line and I don't understand why. Daenerys' big victory speech and the immediate aftermath of that had my imagination running wild. There was very obviously another season at the very least, of her running King's Landing, and everyone around her conspiring to remove her.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
GRRM has himself indicated in the past that the weather patterns in Westeros (the super-long seasons) may be magical in nature, so that defeating the others restored the normal weather cycle isn't some out of nowhere idea.

The extended seasons yes, but the north is cold because it's the north of a spherical world more or less shaped like ours. If it ends up thawing near the north pole in the books I don't imagine it would be framed as a great thing, especially since Martin has likened the treatment of the Others issue by Westeros at large to ignoring the threat of climate change on Earth.

The extended seasons yes, but the north is cold because it's the north of a spherical world more or less shaped like ours. If it ends up thawing near the north pole in the books I don't imagine it would be framed as a great thing, especially since Martin has likened the treatment of the Others issue by Westeros at large to ignoring the threat of climate change on Earth.
The North isn't near the North Pole, it has regular summers with bountiful agriculture, etc. There's no reason that the lands beyond the Wall would be different.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I like him as an actor so good for him. Now for the source material why, I mean I'll watch it but still.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
George is working very closely with HBO on all these new projects so I guess if it's real he's OK with it.

Untrue. HBO greenlit the Long Night prequel series without George's involvement, and hired a showrunner who wasn't even familiar with the books. He was pretty pissed about it, and predictably the project crashed and burned.

Unless you meant the series that came about after that one. Either way, George hasn't commented at all on this Jon Snow series, despite talking about other nascent projects, so... I really don't think he's involved. I mean, he can't be expected to help much with a sequel series when D&D already massacred the last few seasons, corrupting the foundation it'd be building on.

I honestly don't even see what the premise could be of this show, assuming Jon stays north of the wall. It'd be boring as hell. No more White Walkers, no more Children, no more giants, wildlings seriously thinned out / migrated south.

TCB

Oct 19, 2019
If the Kenobi show taught me anything, its not to have hope they can fix a previous story's problems with a sequel... they'll only dig it deeper.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/vg3lot/spoiler_extended_on_her_podcast_journalist_joanna/

Pop culture journalist claims in a podcast that he's "all in" for this show. If true, I wonder about what the story would be. I wouldn't think that GRRM would support something hacky that disturbs the "ending" of ASOIAF to the extent that some people are suggesting. I would guess (maybe I just hope) that it's a more contained, lower stakes epilogue.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/vg3lot/spoiler_extended_on_her_podcast_journalist_joanna/

Pop culture journalist claims in a podcast that he's "all in" for this show. If true, I wonder about what the story would be. I wouldn't think that GRRM would support something hacky that disturbs the "ending" of ASOIAF to the extent that some people are suggesting. I would guess (maybe I just hope) that it's a more contained, lower stakes epilogue.

Maybe inspiration struck and now he has more books planned for after he finishes A Dream of Spring

..........................................lol

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It depends entirely on George's involvement. We know that HBO wasn't involving him basically at all for the cancelled Long Night prequel, for instance, and that the showrunner for that wasn't a series fan and barely knew anything about it. That's bad.

So is this series something George wanted and is involved with, or is it HBO winging it again? If it really even exists, I'm guessing it's the latter, in which case I give 0 fucks.

Hot D, on the other hand, is helmed by a book superfan and George is given extensive deference, which should make for an amazing story that doesn't totally collapse in on itself like the main series did because D&D stopped giving a shit and treated it like "their baby," spurning George's feedback.

But Benioff and Weiss (I refuse to say D&D, that's already taken, goddammit) were also super fans. I don't think that's necessarily an automatic mark of quality, nor is a lack of fandom a mark of lower quality. In fact someone coming in from the outside could potentially make something very interesting, in the same way Nicholas Meyer couldn't have given less of a shit about Star Trek yet still made Wrath of Khan.

I also don't think it should really matter whether or not the original author is involved, especially one in this case who can't seem to even finish his own story. And an author like Tolkien wasn't exactly personally involved in the LOTR trilogy and it still turned out pretty good.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Not watching this shit lol. It's cute that they think they can follow up season 8 with whatever garbage. They should remake season 8 instead.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I'll only watch if Jon Snow's first mission is to figure out who threw Bran into the ocean.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who he is even gonna fight though? The Walkers are gone, unless they are going to adapt the Night Queen mythos.
Let him live his life in exile with his BFF Tormund.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I'm a bit more optimistic about House of the Dragon since they already have everything they need from GRRM. This though... hard to get excited. I just want a show that is S1-4 of Game of Thrones again.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

He's all in on making that paperrrrrrrrr, and finding excuses not to write.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Who he is even gonna fight though? The Walkers are gone, unless they are going to adapt the Night Queen mythos.
Let him live his life in exile with his BFF Tormund.
Dany shows up for revenge after being resurrected by the red priests of Valyria where Drogo took her. The mad queen is even madder after he killed her and Drogo starts eating wildlings.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I have no clue what the hell they could even do with Jon where he ended up. Like what enemies are there to fight?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Resurrect Rome you bastards!
rome-hbo.gif

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
He could fight the grumpkin king.
Or maybe the night king Arya killed was a grumpkin and Jon has to kill the real one.
Maybe he could take on Lord Snark?

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Hot D has potential and I am actually getting excited for it, but this sequel does zero for me. lf it happens.

Because of the bland character that Jon has been for seasons and because most of the good characters got ruined in the main show or killed.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

The fact that we have some kind of epilogue at all is kind of fascinating tbh, like he wants more part on what would be the "true ending" of the story (as I don't think he'll finish the books), because he either didn't like the S8 ending or that he understands that most people didn't like it and wants to "correct' that

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, if that journalist isn't full of shit, and this has GRRM's blessing (or it was even his idea to retcon the show ending somehow with an epilogue)...

...then I'm still disappointed he's not just letting HBO do their thing to concentrate on writing... but also intrigued

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dany shows up for revenge after being resurrected by the red priests of Valyria where Drogo took her. The mad queen is even madder after he killed her and Drogo starts eating wildlings.
The dead speak
Somehow the Night King returned

I would not mind if it's just Jon Snow doing human/zombie hybrid things and just day-to-day stuff.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I don't understand why GRRM doesn't just hire ghost writers to finish the books and focuses all his attention on television. Literally everyone involved would be happier and people waiting for the books could care less if they were 100% written by him as long as they come out. It's obvious his true passion lies with television and it would be cool to see him have the time to devote to actually writing episodes of these shows.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
The more I think about this the more I believe this has to be about the gods, Id be down for that. With a focus on bran of course and jon as the plot driver, including appearances of sansa and lots of arya. I think people would like that.