• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Time to finally pull the trigger and get one last payday before it all collapses.

The Fast and The EXpendables

Last edited:

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So they're taking the piss just to have something to be mad about at China.

Not really, the headline is just stating 'here are three things that are objectively true: China's mad at Cena, the movie got weak reviews, and the movie is making less money.'

The article is clarifying that it's tricky to know EXACTLY how much the first two are causing the last thing, and which one is more impactful. The article title is 3 headlines in one and the body of the article is being careful not to make early assumptions. They're PROBABLY related, but without reading the audience's minds it's impossible to know definitively.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Make it more grounded. We already have 8000 superhero movies a year, F&F needs to dial it back to pseudo reality.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
9 films too late, I cannot believe this series ever made it past the first one. I enjoy parts of them but they are just too ducking stupid to ever take seriously in any regard, how it's one of the biggest franchises ever astounds me.
It's one of the biggest franchises because no one takes it seriously because they're not supposed to. It's a cartoon, and that's what people enjoy about it.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some reviews are:
www.rottentomatoes.com

F9 The Fast Saga

Vin Diesel's Dom Toretto is leading a quiet life off the grid with Letty and his son, little Brian, but they know that danger always lurks just over their peaceful horizon. This time, that threat will force Dom to confront the sins of his past if he's going to save those he loves most. His crew...
65% at RT šŸ˜¬

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
9 films too late, I cannot believe this series ever made it past the first one. I enjoy parts of them but they are just too ducking stupid to ever take seriously in any regard, how it's one of the biggest franchises ever astounds me.
Because they're mostly dumb fun films that don't take themselves seriously.

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get the feeling that execs and suits will put the blame all on Cena, ignoring the movie's quality.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would audiences care that much about Cena's gaffe? I'm not sure I get the framing for this situation that article is using.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see John Cena pathetically debasing himself was for nothing.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Fast and Furious is one of my favourite blockbuster franchises to watch in theatre. It's just so over the top and fun to watch lol. Hopefully F9 does well elsewhere.

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
Spoilers are online everywhere for F9 and it sounds...wild lmao.
Would you say it soundsā€¦Wild Speed?

origin_1.jpg

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Was surprised to see some of the usual people who lap up FF were really down on F9, sounds like they finally reached breaking point for the ridiculous-ness

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Article title: THR: F9 falls 85% in China amid weak reviews, John Cena controversy

Article: Whether John Cena's humiliating Taiwan/China gaff has had anything to do with the F9's weak legs in the Middle Kingdom is difficult to determine.

So which one is it lol. I also honestly doubt Chinese people give a fuck about what an American has to say about anything.

This is the usual tactics when it comes to news involving China. Put in elements that are technically true but in reality are just there to click-bait and incite panic.

Everyday people probably could not care less about what John Cena said. It's far more likely the bad reviews affected the enthusiasm. But gotta put that shit in the title though!

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Does the average Chinese citizen actually care about what some American celebrity says about Chinese sovereignty? To the point where they'd avoid going to a film he's in? I'm genuinely asking, because I have no idea and am very curious. Is it like a Dixie Chicks situation?

It depends on a lot of things. This Cena thing is 'minor offence'. It helps that Cena isn't really a star in China, because wrestling is very niche here. If he is Tom Cruise tier actor then things could be far worse. All in all China's official media wasn't push this 'contronversty' hard and not that many people knowledged it.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Put Donnie Yen or Jet Li or whoever in the next one and It'll skyrocket back to those numbers again. The movies are stale at this point, Cena is just an excuse if he even is one.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Tokyo Drift is the last well-told entry. From 4 on, every installment is really dumb. The script always feels like it was assembled from 200 different drafts. Tokyo Drift is the last movie that feels like it was mainly written by one person from beginning to end and remains coherent throughout. You can enjoy it without having to turn your brain on and off.
5 is the peak of the franchise. It's been pretty downhill from there

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5 is the peak of the franchise. It's been pretty downhill from there

Speaking personally, I could not get over the amount of damage that safe inflicted on the streets, and the sequence itself was just completely unbelievable, how in sync the characters were without any communication, it just broke my suspension of disbelief. It was big and impressive and set a standard for the rest of the franchise, but it completely took me out of the film because it seemed to be all about the spectacle. All the spectacle in F1 and F3 works for the plot. Fast Five had spectacle for the sake of spectacle, where nothing had consequences or needed to make sense. That sequence wouldn't belong in a film that's well-told.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems that the movie isn't very good, which is a shame as I thought it would go back to the highs of 5-6 with Lin returning.

Losing Paul certainly didn't help.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Not really, the headline is just stating 'here are three things that are objectively true: China's mad at Cena, the movie got weak reviews, and the movie is making less money.'

The article is clarifying that it's tricky to know EXACTLY how much the first two are causing the last thing, and which one is more impactful. The article title is 3 headlines in one and the body of the article is being careful not to make early assumptions. They're PROBABLY related, but without reading the audience's minds it's impossible to know definitively.

Yeah

We really can't rule out that China reacted to the Cena controversy and just went "Welp, I guess we can't see him"

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
honestly after reading the plot for this, I still don't understand how we got from the masterpiece that is Fast 5 to this

Nov 27, 2017
California
I personally know 3 people pissed they gotta wait a month and bootleg a copy so idk what universal was thinking, they did it because they didn't want to get spoiled
Should've been a week or two max difference

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
hit the breaks? is this some kind of new idiom?

i'm familiar with hitting the brakes, but not the breaks

Oct 27, 2017
Some reviews are:
www.rottentomatoes.com

F9 The Fast Saga

Vin Diesel's Dom Toretto is leading a quiet life off the grid with Letty and his son, little Brian, but they know that danger always lurks just over their peaceful horizon. This time, that threat will force Dom to confront the sins of his past if he's going to save those he loves most. His crew...
65% at RT šŸ˜¬
What's with the emoji? That's literally in line with the others

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Idc if the movie trash I'm still watching cuz I enjoy the stupidity. Yeah 5 was the high of the franchise and every subsequent film has gotten worse but whatevs. I know what I'm going into and I'm happy.