• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

golden_apple-_publicity_-_h_2020_.jpg

The specialty comic book market is facing something that could, without an appropriate response, prove decimating to the industry as a whole.

"We have reached the moment we have been dreading," said the email.

It was from Ed Greenberg, the owner of Collector's Paradise, the comic shop which has three stores in the Los Angeles area. In an email to his customer base, he was reacting to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti's "Safer at Home" emergency order, which was unveiled Thursday and mandated non-essential services close.

"We have been selling comics for close to 26 years now, and this is truly the first time that we are uncertain about the future of our store, our industry and our favorite art form," continued the email, which in many ways summed up the precarious state of the comic book retail business.

Even before the coronavirus pandemic, comic shops had been struggling to reinvent themselves as sales slumped — but with social distancing, self-quarantining and the effects of COVID-19 changing the way the world works, the specialty comic book market is facing something that could, without an appropriate response, prove decimating to the industry as a whole.

Comic shops were already in the process of adapting this week. When The Hollywood Reporter stopped by Los Angeles' Golden Apple on March 18, it had limited its hours, with its staff wearing gloves and sometimes masks. It had also limited the amount of people it let into its store and even set up a comic book car hop – but this latest news packed a Thanos-sized punch.

As of Friday, all of California and New York are under statewide shutdowns of non-essential businesses. Illinois also followed suit.

"I sent an email to my top five suppliers asking if they were going to be offer returnability on the other end of this — I have three weeks of orders in the pipeline, and zero ability to sell those books in a meaningful way," longtime California retailer Brian Hibbs wrote on Facebook at the start of the week, ahead of the enforced closure of his two stores. "Two of the five ignored me, the other two gave me really really dark answers and it is clear they are using each other as excuses, and only one, Image, stepped right up and said 'Yep, returnable for now.' It's probably only 80% of the reassurance I want, but at least it is something."

Guidance from both publishers and central distributor Diamond Comics Distributors has arrived through the week, albeit in evolving, often contradictory, piecemeal fashion. (Plans for May's Free Comic Book Day event were initially expanded for the entire month, before being indefinitely postponed a day later, for example.)

"As we all encounter new and uncertain challenges in response to COVID-19 and take extraordinary measures to prioritize the safety and wellbeing of everyone in the industry and beyond, our thoughts are with the entire industry and community we all support," said Marvel Entertainment president Dan Buckley in the statement. "We have spoken with many retailers about the economic impact to their stores from this situation, and we are here to help."

DC, at time of writing, has yet to release its own statement. THR reached out and a spokesperson confirmed that the publisher is working on a meaningful plan to help alleviate current stresses on the comic book industry, and that communication to retailers is forthcoming.

Indie publisher AfterShock Comics has suspended new releases for four weeks, while Vault Comics has suspended them through the end of April. Boom! Studios announced it will stagger new releases and guarantee a level of returnability throughout the year. Oni Press has made all releases returnable for the foreseeable future, and is reassessing its release schedule for the remainder of the year.

Comic Shops also opened their doors to host RPG sessions, signings and pop culture merch to stay afloat but even after some stores survived the recession, it's likely half of them will come out of this safe when everything subsides.

If you have a comic shop you can get books from, make sure they have a mail in service or curbside pickup. Support them in these trying times.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just shut down like other businesses. Or try to get an online store up and running so people can still support you.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by
Oh no, not the comic book shops!

EDIT:

Ignore my ill-timed joke.

Last edited:

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From my experience the people that go to comic shops for group RPG seasons already don't practice the best hygiene.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I think comic shops that're more "hobby shops" are better off, but yeah this shit sucks. There's only one store within a reasonable distance from me and if it's shut down I'll be forced to trade-wait

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
people losing jobs and their livelihood, let's make light of it!!

There's a surprising lack of empathy going around here for looking at the long term effects of the fallout from this. People just look at, oh that's not essential, shut it down as the immediate impact without understanding what that means over time. People just want to flip switches without understanding these things.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
There's a surprising lack of empathy going around here for looking at the long term effects of the fallout from this. People just look at, oh that's not essential, shut it down as the immediate impact without understanding what that means over time. People just want to flip switches without understanding these things.
"Shut em all down!" are the people who may have the opportunity to not worry working from home.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I too celebrate comic book shops getting closed off. All hail Amazon, lord conglomerate

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
everything like this is closing, comic book shops, mom and pop video game shops, collectables shops, record stores etc. It really sucks, this virus can't go away fast enough.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I don't have any locally to support because they have all closed down but I still buy comics every now and then through the mail and will try to continue doing so throughout this. I love comic shops and I hope the struggling ones can survive through this.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Corona will literally kill off all the slowing dying businesses. Gamestop, comic shops have been dying a slow death since a while now but this will accelerate it to immediate instead of some more years. Shame

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bought a board game and a few other things from my local comic book/hobby gaming shop a few weeks ago because I knew this was going to hit them pretty hard.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Just today I was thinking about how Free Comic Book Day will not happen this year, along with that Black Widow synergy and temporary purchase bump gone. These are good people who are passionate about what they do. They deserve assistance.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Just today I was thinking about how Free Comic Book Day will not happen this year, along with that Black Widow synergy and temporary purchase bump gone. These are good people who are passionate about what they do. They deserve assistance.
There's a big long line of passionate people who deserve assistance, but aren't going to get it

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Close em. If we MAKE the government and corporations handle this right then they will get the chance to open again some day but nothing is worth the health risk. (OMEGA LEVEL ARMCHAIR TALK COMING OUT OF MY ASS) Unfortunately with them closed it may finally push comic book companies to do day of digital releases which probably would be the death of a bunch of comic shops which is what I think many of them are afraid of.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Close em. If we MAKE the government and corporations handle this right then they will get the chance to open again some day but nothing is worth the health risk. (OMEGA LEVEL ARMCHAIR TALK COMING OUT OF MY ASS) Unfortunately with them closed it may finally push comic book companies to do day of digital releases which probably would be the death of a bunch of comic shops which is what I think many of them are afraid of.
?

They already do day of digital releases

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Was reading on twitter a comic shop trying to get people to do pull boxes and then you just pick them up, I guess something like curbside.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Hence why I mentioned curbside pickup or mail in. Sadly some shops DO NOT have that option.
I dont think it would be that hard to arrange a safe social distancing pick up of your weekly books. However, I dont think comic shops are staying afloat through comic books alone. They need those Magic, Yu-gi-oh, and board gaming groups to come in, stay around, and buy shit. Not just the games, but selling sodas, pizza slices, etc. Those are all parts of what help comic shops pay their bills.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My LCS is part of a tiny chain. I hope they can manage through this.