• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this a vanity project for RDJ? I feel like I've seen tons of interviews with him and his wife that boil down to "We wanted to make a movie our kids could watch."

Obviously doesn't excuse the film being garbage, but would explain why certain things ended up as they did. My kids like fart jokes, so the movie ends with me getting a huge dragon fart in my face.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
The ending vexed the moviemakers. Even when it was decided that the dragon was constipated, there was debate over logistics. One cut, according to sources, featured Dolittle removing a boulder-sized stool out of the dragon. In the end, the film showed bagpipes as the constipating culprit, with the good doctor enduring a windful of gas.
And you thought being a Hollywood filmmaker actually required talent.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Was Universal hoping to start a sexual talking animals cinematic universe or something? This doesn't even qualify as a "passion project", just why?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
At the Endgame wrap party. ..

Chris Evans: I'm going to do an oscar nominated film.

Scarlett Johansson: I'm going to get an oscar nomination, and be in two oscar nominated films.

RDJ: I'm going to stick my hand up a dragon's ass.

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this a vanity project for RDJ? I feel like I've seen tons of interviews with him and his wife that boil down to "We wanted to make a movie our kids could watch."

Obviously doesn't excuse the film being garbage, but would explain why certain things ended up as they did. My kids like fart jokes, so the movie ends with me getting a huge dragon fart in my face.
It's weird because it's not as though the Marvel movies can't be enjoyed by kids.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
RDJ is a bad producer with a bad eye for material. It's a shame he'll never let himself work with a PTA or a Fincher again because he could absolutely get the Oscar he wants if he was willing to relinquish control outside of himself and his wife.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so let me get this straight

the studio wanted a family friendly comedy with talking animals

they then proceeded to market the film as a hugely over dramatic, VERY SRS BSNS movie showing like, no talking animals at all until several trailers in, set to an extremely depressing cover of "What a wonderful world"

what in the fuck did they think would happen? It's fucking Doctor Dolittle. The comedy and the talking animals and the whimsy need to be the central focus, otherwise what the hell are you making a Doctor Dolittle movie for? He goes to the fucking moon in the books for crying out loud, this is not Lord of the Rings/Game of Thrones here.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another case of giving actors too much power. Stay in your lane, homie. This one's on Uni.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
LOL ppl are usually pretty smart these days about not watching terrible films.

all of that sounds dreadful. should've killed it early instead of releasing that garbage

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOL ppl are usually pretty smart these days about not watching terrible films.

all of that sounds dreadful. should've killed it early instead of releasing that garbage

Yep, people shit on RT all the time but goddamn if it hasn't made it 10x harder for Hollywood to ram shit films down out throats and have them make bank. They actually have to TRY nowadays.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u1.jpg

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Saw this in the theater (thanks unlimited passes for letting me watch any garbage I feel like).

It was pretty cute and harmless. Didn't hate it.

But god damn, what a waste of money.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Was this a massive troll from RDJ just to see what he can get away with or is he back on drugs. This whole thing is mental from racist dogs to now this mess

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
RDJ and Chris Hemsworth must realize that people only want to see them play their MCU characters,it is what it is.Also cant believe RDJ lost his post-avengers leverage on a fuckin Dolittle movie,he could(still can?) greenlit every movie he wanted with creative freedom in every studio and he choose that shit lmao