• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I'll probably wait to see this in the 2nd or 3rd week (unless one of my friends already got tickets).

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Was just able to get some tickets for me and my buddy after hours of maintenance and errors on AMC's site. Had to settle for IMAX 3D which is still good but was hoping to get Dolby.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if something really captures the zeitgeist in a big way, it's entirely possible for a contemporary flick to edge out Avatar. It would probably have to be a film no one saw coming though.
You'd literally need the biggest perfect storm in movie history to dethrone Avatar.

EVERYTHING would have to go right: marketing, the release date, pre-sales, previews, A-List stars, and the movie being genuinely good and worth rewatching.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It crushed a lot of servers last night and today

Cineplex here in Canada is still kinda borked.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
As for Avatar it was really a rare occasion. I knew people who hadn't been to the cinema in years who came out to see Avatar.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Hm... tweet says "most anticipated movie of all time" and I assume he got numbers to back it up, while some people in another thread said SW, Harry Potter, LOTR, TFA, Phantom Menace etc. were more anticipated.
I browsed that thread for a minute had a few giggles, but Star Wars lost me years ago, it's just not that good anymore.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
You'd literally need the biggest perfect storm in movie history to dethrone Avatar.

EVERYTHING would have to go right: marketing, the release date, pre-sales, previews, A-List stars, and the movie being genuinely good and worth rewatching.

You forgot a very important factor; exchange rates.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Star Wars still reigns supreme. It has been digested and spread throughout media for decades. MCU isn't able to even match that even though it is literally pumping out 3 movies a year. MCU relies on quarterly sales for toys. I would be curious to know the sales for toys and merch and how they coincide with the movie releases

Do you work with kids? Because I can assure you they don't run around playing stormtroopers and jedi anymore. Not for longer than a few weeks after a new episode drops, anyway. But they do run around playing superheroes.

No one Marvel movie is ever going to change pop culture the way the original Star Wars did, but superheroes have replaced it as the foremost modern mythology of our time. It's what these kids dream about, and what shapes their imaginations. I don't think the MCU is going to leave the kind of lasting mark on the world that Star Wars did, but at this moment in time it's king of the hill.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
So considering the movie opens at 8am on a Wednesday (at least here in Australia), what stretch of time constitutes what will be reported as 'Opening Weekend' numbers?

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
So considering the movie opens at 8am on a Wednesday (at least here in Australia), what stretch of time constitutes what will be reported as 'Opening Weekend' numbers?

That Tuesday night/Wednesday morning until the end of day Sunday.

Also a quote from Deadline, by way of Regal:

Over at Regal Endgame is outpacing their website advance ticket sales for any Marvel movie in the circuit's history. Within eight hours of going on sale, Avengers: Endgame has doubled all the first week sales for Avengers: Infinity War.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Do you work with kids? Because I can assure you they don't run around playing stormtroopers and jedi anymore. Not for longer than a few weeks after a new episode drops, anyway. But they do run around playing superheroes.

No one Marvel movie is ever going to change pop culture the way the original Star Wars did, but superheroes have replaced it as the foremost modern mythology of our time. It's what these kids dream about, and what shapes their imaginations. I don't think the MCU is going to leave the kind of lasting mark on the world that Star Wars did, but at this moment in time it's king of the hill.
It's just not kids who matter when it comes to these things which is why Jurassic and Star Wars made so much money. Super hero is just a popular genre that sells a lot. That doesn't make it king or whatever you want to call it. There's more factors to this.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Got a ticket for a Saturday night showing. It's more convenient for me, and I'm good with spoilers.

Thanos better watch out for his cornhole, man.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Drafthouse just gave up during the morning, and tickets were unavailable to purchase for a short time until they got Fandango to take over. Never saw that happen, not even for Star Wars.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
There's always a bit of residuals, as in left over hype after a huge movie of franchise comes out.
Look at Avengers, it made 1.5b and yet Iron Man 3 some how made 1.2b.
People were high as hell from TFA and getting another Star Wars just a years a later with the Death Star and Vader definitely increased the hype for it.

I really believe Captain Marvel wouldn't have made it to 1b without the IW and EG hype.

Oh yeah I def agree with that, but IW made $35m more OD and $100m more ow than RO so surprised when I saw it was ranked 5th and RO 4th.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Lacking this didn't stop Avatar
Except that huge swathes of people obviously rewatched Avatar multiple times in theatres.

Again, I'm gonna call it: When Avatar 2 comes out and makes stupid amounts of money. The new excuse will be to give Disney credit for saving the sequel. That without Disney behind it, it would have failed.

All these 'it could only ever happen once. Avatar was a perfect storm of a release that can never be replicated' ignore that Avatar was the second time in a row that Cameron had a movie release like that.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's just not kids who matter when it comes to these things which is why Jurassic and Star Wars made so much money. Super hero is just a popular genre that sells a lot. That doesn't make it king or whatever you want to call it. There's more factors to this.

We're clearly concerned with different metrics for success here, but no matter how you slice it Jurassic isn't in the running.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
This was definitely the most difficult time I've ever had purchasing a ticket before, and I've been to plenty of opening nights on big films before. Crazy.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Over at Regal Endgame is outpacing their website advance ticket sales for any Marvel movie in the circuit's history. Within eight hours of going on sale, Avengers: Endgame has doubled all the first week sales for Avengers: Infinity War.

Doubled the first week sales in eight hours? That's pretty incredible.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I legit got the shakes watching the post credits scene for Captain Marvel.

My wife and I have seen every single one in theaters together since before we were married.
Iron man we we're just friends.
We were dating by the time Hulk came out.
We were married when we went to go see Avengers 1.
We'll be sneaking out while the kids are at school to see Endgame.

Time flies like an arrow :D

less

Oct 25, 2017
Ah my mistake.

I think Endgame can do it.

Whatever it takes

Nah. This movie does actually have a good chance at taking down Titanic. If it doesn't...then Cameron has a shot of actually managing to take the top three spots in the all-time box office. XD

Also, best seat I was able to snag was on midnight on Friday.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
We're clearly concerned with different metrics for success here, but no matter how you slice it Jurassic isn't in the running.
I count the metrics that count. You may as well say anything currently popular is the top when that doesn't really matter to a brand because brands can fade easily. Game of Thrones would be considered top but it will bw quickly forgotten soon after the final season similar to Breaking Bad or other really good and popular shows.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I count the metrics that count. You may as well say anything currently popular is the top when that doesn't really matter to a brand because brands can fade easily. Game of Thrones would be considered top but it will bw quickly forgotten soon after the final season similar to Breaking Bad or other really good and popular shows.

We're in a thread about how this thing is poised to take down the highest grossing Star Wars movie, and you're arguing that Star Wars is superior because it makes more money? It doesn't, and it probably won't ever again.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if we all live to be 80 I doubt we'll ever see a recording breaking event like this again

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Had to queue in the vue website for an hour to get mine. First time I've ever seen any midnight showings sold out near me, had to go with nearly midnight on Thursday for a free seat. No Internet for me during the day!

Oct 25, 2017
Yall talking about Avatar I'm still waiting for something to beat Gone with the Wind.
Victor Fleming still the king 80 years running.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's why two years after it opened the Flight of Passage ride at Disney World still gets nearly seven hour long lines.

Everybody liked watching beautiful shit. But there's like absolutely 0 hype for that world anymore, nobody except some people going to disneyland and Cameron's fans care for Avatar.