• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The creator of Rawhead Rex and Jericho is not a particularly discerning character.
Rawhead Rex was a killer story even if the movie is trash. And Jericho was game work. He's not infallible but if it's the right thing it could be really good.

And considering the climate in the UK I am going to take it as a win that a property he created as a gay man in the UK just hired a trans actress.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Have their being a good hellraiser movie in the last 30 years ?

Forced diversity, we all know leather wearing torture demons can only be white straight men

I am very curious to see the reaction to this because .... most people that cry forced diversity are very transphobic, and by their OWN definitions she would fit the "white men" definition. Maybe even straight considering she portrais lesbians in L word and Sense 8 xD

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yes. I hope this ends up being good. it's been far too long since we've had a good Hellraiser movie.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I hope Clive is properly involved in this one.

He turned in a script years back for a remake, but I don't know if he's actively involved on the project currently.

One thing is, as people noted above, Pinhead was described as having an effeminate voice in the book, even if it doesn't say what exactly they were.

Also in the book, Pinhead has a small role with very few lines. I mean, all the Cenobites are secondary characters, because Frank and Julia are our main villains. But in the novel Pinhead is not prominent--its just in the film half the Cenobites couldn't talk or see in their makeup, which led to Doug Bradley getting the bulk of the lines.

Now, I'm not saying they're definitely going to sideline her--the studio knows who everyone expects to see. But I kinda am worried that is a possibility.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I always kinda saw the Cenobites as genderless anyway. When your goal is to pursue pleasure beyond all bounds of reason it seems like a concept as flimsy as gender would get dropped quickly.

Not familiar with her prior work, but I hope it goes well.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna ask about Doug Bradley, and then I found out it's a reboot. Yeah, this is a good choice.

(Would be nice to see Doug appear in a cameo role though)

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Hellraiser has been shit outside of his work

To be fair, the Hellraiser comics took the first two movies and ran with it to interesting places, better imho than what Barker did later in the Scarlet Gospels.

Trivia: the first issue of the Books of the Dammed comic tie in was written by Lana Wachowski.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Whats worse? Getting mad about a woman being cast as Pinhead or making a new Pinhead movie in 2021 after Pinhead went to space

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Is Clive fully on board with this one?

He's getting the rights to Hellraiser back at the end of the year. Two Hellraiser projects are in production -- an HBO show, this movie -- and he signed onto be a producer for the HBO show. (We haven't gotten an update on that one in a long time, though.) Part of this announcement is that he's also now a producer on this, albeit later into the process.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
He's getting the rights to Hellraiser back at the end of the year. Two Hellraiser projects are in production -- an HBO show, this movie -- and he signed onto be a producer for the HBO show. (We haven't gotten an update on that one in a long time, though.) Part of this announcement is that he's also now a producer on this, albeit later into the process.
Oooh, first I heard about an HBO show. That could have enormous potential!

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for the further details, I knew he was producer on the HBO thing but not the movie.

Even cooler.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This was once a project that was trying to squeeze out one more movie before the OG rights reverted to Barker in December. Production got delayed because of COVID. I guess he's happy enough with what they were doing because it certainly seems like he could have killed the project instead of joining it.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This was once a project that was trying to squeeze out one more movie before the OG rights reverted to Barker in December. Production got delayed because of COVID. I guess he's happy enough with what they were doing because it certainly seems like he could have killed the project instead of joining it.
If that's the case I wonder if he had influence on her hiring?

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I was going to say why are these idiots are all mad. Doesn't the main girl end up being pinhead?

Stupid chuds
"No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder why Barker went with Doug Bradley for the original. Maybe marketability in the 80s? Or maybe he just wanted Bradley in that role.
I imagine the writer Clive and director Clive are just two separate artists at some point and he just wanted to kinda flip things on his own. There is this story where Doug Bradley almost went for an extra's role instead of the Pinhead role because he didnt want his first big acting gig to be one where his face was made up:

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pinhead being a woman makes perfect sense. The anti-SJW brigade fears nothing more than a woman.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I was confused until I realized there was a new L Word. I haven't seen any of her work, but I'm down for the casting.

wagesoffear98

Dec 8, 2019
Between this and the news that the film's apparently going to stick closer to The Hellbound Heart, I'm incredibly excited about this. Very curious how it's going to stick closer to Hellbound Heart without getting an NC-17, though - that book gets pretty adult at points.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Between this and the news that the film's apparently going to stick closer to The Hellbound Heart, I'm incredibly excited about this. Very curious how it's going to stick closer to Hellbound Heart without getting an NC-17, though - that book gets pretty adult at points.
It's going straight to Hulu, technically anything is fair game.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm getting my wires crossed, but is HBO Max doing a Hellraiser tv show too?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is this an actual movie or more of that straight to dvd crap?

Done in the comics already, but still.

1yPLFB5l.jpg
I forgot that Pinhead has some serious nipple chaffing

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People really shouldn't get bent out of shape about this.

I mean, they will.

But they shouldn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Great choice. TBH, if I had just heard they were making a new Hellraiser, I'd immediately write it off a something I have no interest in. Rebooting it with Jamie Clayton as Pinhead makes me think they actually give a shit and it might be worth watching. I never saw the L word, but she was amazing in Sense8. If Barker can't direct, I'd like to see the Malignant director do it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Keeping my expectations low but Bruckner is a real talent so could turn out well. Also hoping the streaming release just lets them go buck wild with the extreme S&M.