• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they are giving away free 10$ to purchase game's on their store sale for a reason.
Yeah, lol. I would never in a million years buy anything on EGS otherwise. Some of the EGS indie exclusives became 65-75% off with the discounts and it will be a very long time (if ever) to get that big of discount on Steam when it finally launches there a year late. So I picked up a couple of those indie titles and that will be it unless some other amazing sale happens in the future for new titles added to the store.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
11 years and thats the only time I wanted to leave. I'm impervious to the actual trolling, but watching everyone get permed or walk away is still turning my stomach.
I didn't and don't want to leave because I play a lot on consoles too but it cemented my decision of not articulating proper PC discussion or posting lengthier/meatier posts ever here. I'll just do that somewhere else because that wasn't nice to watch and maybe mishandled.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Don't almost all games sell the majority copies on consoles?

There are also (generally) two consoles. PC is somewhere between Xbox & PS4 in sales.
There is also differences that PC games have longer tail (and PC players buy more DLC, which makes copies sold more profitable and no used game sales since games usually tied to service - The Witcher 3 is probably sole exception in recent history - you'll miss on patches and DLC though).

Witcher3.jpg

Ubisoft: (Q4 PC is even ahead of PS4, but full year is still behind)
bIiywH0.png

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A lot of prominent PC Era members got fed up with the toxicity and style of moderation and deleted their accounts/moved elsewhere. Mostly frustration at having the same arguments multiple times and seeing folks banned for articulating their views in ways that didn't jibe with prevailing sentiment at the time. Site admins and mods coming in to (perhaps in jest) troll PC Era at the wrong time.

I see. That's a shame, although understandable. Not the first time I've heard of PC Era getting fed up with the trolling and shitposting thrown their way.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I see. That's a shame, although understandable. Not the first time I've heard of PC Era getting fed up the trolling and shitposting thrown their way.

TLDR, we get a lot of trolls stubborn members in which repeat the same talking points over and over again as they were discussed to death and refuted in the past. It seems like some PC gaming forum members just got fed up with the channels getting clogged by the same 3 or 4 people and left. That's if this is referring to the situation I think this referring to.

It's a damn shame. I can somewhat relate but keep my sanity by filling up the ignore list when I realize they are arguing in bad faith. Also, we have really awesome and knowledgable posters on this site that make it worth it for me. Also I don't blame moderation at all as this topic is a minefield and they do go after the more transparent people. It's a rough job with this topic.

Last edited:

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Developers aren't entitled to do whatever they want to consumers for their own benefit and still do well. There's a balance that has to be struck.
You sound like they wronged customers or did something horrific. Terrible sentiments on your part too.

Support the developers that make your games, even if you don't buy their games.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Misrepresenting site staff and numerous previous infractions for trolling.
It was a solid 7/10 for me. Gorgeous environments (especially with RTX) and creative gameplay mechanics, decent gunplay/movement, but laughable storytelling and voice acting, with bland level design to boot. Worth checking out but don't expect it to reach the highs of some of the other entries.

A lot of prominent PC Era members got fed up with the toxicity and style of moderation and deleted their accounts/moved elsewhere. Mostly frustration at having the same arguments multiple times and seeing folks banned for articulating their views in ways that didn't jibe with prevailing sentiment at the time. Site admins and mods coming in to (perhaps in jest) troll PC Era at the wrong time.
What? ResetEra mods being terrible with moderation and overly sensitive to further their narratives? No, never.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've been considering the effect on the popularity of the franchises since this started. I dont know if it really make a dent or not, but I'm curious.

Even if you're still doing good on consoles, the hit you take in the PC sphere both in sales and in the fans you gain could be worse than you planned for.

Some franchises might be easier to skip than others. If elder scrolls 6 was exclusive, it would be easier to break people down. But Control for instance is going to get destroyed out there because it'll be easy to pass on. Will losing a ton of their PC sales doom control's future prospects as a franchise? We may never know.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a fan of the Metro games, I was excited for this when it got announced and I would still love to buy it on PC someday, but I refuse to support EGS in any way.

Certainly won't be paying full price for it once it hits Steam, though.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
wasnt it like 2.5x the sales? LMFAO fucking liars. 2.5 times the launch of lsat light maybe, which isnt much to be honest, last light peaked at 16k lol

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
You sound like they wronged customers or did something horrific. Terrible sentiments on your part too.

Support the developers that make your games, even if you don't buy their games.
Customers do feel wronged by EGS exclusivity. Especially the way that it was done for Metro Exodus, where the game was pulled from Steam with only a brief warning. Consumers that feel wronged have every right to express themselves about it here, as long as they follow the forum rules.

Once again, developers are not entitled to unconditional support. We don't have to tow the company line just because they do.

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Customers do feel wronged by EGS exclusivity. Especially the way that it was done for Metro Exodus, where the game was pulled from Steam with only a brief warning. Consumers that feel wronged have every right to express themselves about it here, as long as they follow the forum rules.

Once again, developers are not entitled to unconditional support. We don't have to tow the company line just because they do.
Thanks, I know the situation. Hoping the devs don't do well because of it is a terrible mentality kid.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Someone explain this all to me. Is it that hard to use the Epic store? Or is it a principle thing?

Its various issues including that it sucks to use the epic store, things are more expensive on the epic store, principal things as you call it.

The first glance at the situation may reveal that epic is going out of their way to put steam users in discomfort. That's kind of a big one.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Everybody that is unhappy with the way epic and involved publishers are conducting busines should be happy that the game bombed and hurts the involved parties financially.

That is literally what "Voting with your wallet" means, neolibs.
Or is that entire phrase also just another load of corporate bootlicking that stops to be the "mature solution" the moment it shows that its working?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
What actually happened tho

Aaayyyyee. Okay I feel like I started this. I don't want anymore. There's really no good place to discuss it. there's a lot of different ideas about what actually happened. I have my own and I have occasionally aired it out but I don't want to do that here.

I'm going to pm you (efit: apparently you to me because for some reason I can't pm you) my hypothesis and if anyone else wants to know I'll be an open book privately. but I would like to make this my last reply on the topic here. :>

Last edited:

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully they don't. I like developers doing well.

Horrible sentiment on your part.
This EGS exclusivity deal was done over the heads of the developers, when the game was already finished and set to release on Steam in a month or two, on such a short time frame that physical PC copies had to slap an EGS logo on top of the Steam logo. All this EGS money is going straight to publishers (unless self-published). The dev team is not going to see a single cent of that money because they had already finished their work.

Oct 31, 2017
Don't almost all games sell the majority copies on consoles?
It's rather normal (but not even necessarily always true) for a game to have a console as leading platform in sales. This typically looks something like "35-45% on PS4, 25-35% on PC, 25-35% on XBONE".

it's definitely not the norm for a game with a concurrent release to have the overwhelming majority of their sales on consoles with PC being so far behind.
Especially not for a East European franchise with a strong PC user base where in the previous installments the PC was always the leading platform.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Considering this is about revenue (money) made, isn't the situation even worse because more money was made per copy sold on EGS compared to consoles, meaning that it sold even less than its revenue % on PC would suggest?

Last edited:

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
????

You enjoy an entire studio might go down because the sales of their hard working game didnt meet end?
I was only referencing EGS sales. There was nothing about the studio going down in the OP so maybe I missed that on one of the other pages? Would hope that isn't the case considering it sold well on consoles.

Oct 31, 2017
????

You enjoy an entire studio might go down because the sales of their hard working game didnt meet end?
If that studio/dev/publisher tried their best to fuck me sideways? Abso-fucking-lutely.
I'm not sure when we even went into this mindset that someone selling me a product is somehow entitled to my money no matter what, honestly.

I wonder when Mr. Sweeney will get tired of his vanity project.
I wish. The sooner the better.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Modwhining and driving thread derailment; numerous previous infractions
It was a solid 7/10 for me. Gorgeous environments (especially with RTX) and creative gameplay mechanics, decent gunplay/movement, but laughable storytelling and voice acting, with bland level design to boot. Worth checking out but don't expect it to reach the highs of some of the other entries.

Yeah, I noticed how mods and admins in previous threads would post dumb shit like the COD Steam group meme without a hint of irony or self-awareness, as if they're incapable of following their own rules.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Everybody that is unhappy with the way epic and involved publishers are conducting busines should be happy that the game bombed and hurts the involved parties financially.

That is literally what "Voting with your wallet" means, neolibs.
Or is that entire phrase also just another load of corporate bootlicking that stops to be the "mature solution" the moment it shows that its working?

If that studio/dev/publisher tried their best to fuck me sideways? Abso-fucking-lutely.
I'm not sure when we even went into this mindset that someone selling me a product is somehow entitled to my money no matter what, honestly.

It's bizarre how certain people want to move the goalpost where even "Voting with your Wallet" is toxic consumer entitlement. So just support any product if you don't like their practices less you be toxic and have an awful mentality? So we should just support businesses now carte blache or we are part of the problem?

How the fuck did we get here?

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
good

you treat a large chunk of your playerbase poorly with last second exclusivity changes...then you get bad sales. you reap what you sow

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to me that they won't even discuss PC sales because they were so bad.
I'm glad it has been a disaster for them.

Am I misremembering or wasn't there news about Metro Exodus sales on EGS to be absolutely amazing and better than expected around the launch window?
They certainly tried to spin it that way:

They may not be lying but they certainly aren't being honest unless they're releasing hard numbers.
For example:

dasdasdasar6kwe.png

"Metro Exodus. Exclusive to the Epic Games store. 2.5x Steam sales of previous game, Metro: Last Light."

Must have sold really well on the Epic Games store, right?

metrollpeakplayers-phjel.png
metrollowners-06jpu.png

Oh. Steam Spy estimates 0–20,000 owners for Metro: Last Light, and SteamDB reports a peak of 16,970 players for the week the game launched.
Then you realize that Metro Exodus was still available for pre-order on Steam for a day before it was pulled from sale, with some people rushing to pre-order and get a Steam version rather than EGS. It was also bundled with graphics cards, which is probably being counted towards those sales numbers as well.

they dont care, that is what the egs payout was for. be profitable even if they sell 0 unit.
While that may be the case for smaller indie games, I doubt that is true for something like this.

even more so when Era scared away half of PC era last month lol.
Was there a specific incident that I missed? I don't often check many of the general PC topics, but have noticed that some people seem to have left or are not posting here that much anymore.
I must admit that I have considered leaving for somewhere else after how poorly handled the discussion and moderation has been regarding, well, everything related to the EGS.

I wonder if the same will happen with Remedy's Control.
It's probably doing much better than Metro relative to how it would have sold on Steam due to large discounts in the EGS sale for many regions.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
It's bizarre how certain people want to move the goalpost where even "Voting with your Wallet" is toxic consumer entitlement. So just support any product if you don't like their practices less you be toxic and have an awful mentality? So we should just support businesses now carte blache or we are part of the problem?

How the fuck did we get here?

My guess is growing up with "capitalism is all and corporations are people too" ingrained in us either consciously or subconsciously. Kind of like the second amendment here in the US.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Deserved, the way they went about the exclusivity deal was just awful.
Though I'm glad it wasn't enough to straight fuck the game over and 4A found success still, but eh, hope the EPIC money was worth fucking over what would have probably been a slam dunk massive success. Hopefully they learn their lesson and don't pull a "surprise! It's exclusive now" BS move again.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was there a specific incident that I missed? I don't often check many of the general PC topics, but have noticed that some people seem to have left or are not posting here that much anymore.
I must admit that I have considered leaving for somewhere else after how poorly handled the discussion and moderation has been regarding, well, everything related to the EGS.

I won't discuss this any further then this as it's offtopic but I'll leave this here: