• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
All THQN had to do is to stop associate themselves with the people behind that dreadful AMA.
Them and the rest of the gaming industry decided to ignore this and gave their nazi and pedophile enablers a second chance.

Again, this is very disappointing but sadly expected.

As things stand right now however, I believe the incident has been dealt with and am willing to place faith in the idea that these people have changed and learned from the experience.

While i generally agree with your ocassional posts i believe that in this instance they only learned how to get away with it.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Come on now. The reputation of this site is only "tarnished" in circles full of fuckwits. The kind of people who start review bombing game when publisher donates to charity focused on suicide prevention. Era has it's issues like any gaming community (like the taunting on the first page), but one of those issues isn't people caring about THQ:s inexcusable actions.

theres literally not a single good thing said anywhere on the entire planet about this forum. There are literally dedicated sites, youtube channels and twitter accounts whose sole reason is collecting and laughing at the stuff going on here. I mean, just now after the Ion Fury debacle, someone said to label resetera as a terorist organisation.

Otherwise, people dont even know this forum exists.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Can people please STFU in terms of relating this award for THQ to Germans all still being Nazis? I'm so over this. My country has learned from its past and while there are some right-wing groups here as well, those are everywhere, and usually far stronger politically in other places. We have not forgotten the past and drawn our conclusions, but it's fair to say we are not these murderers anymore. I am extremely disappointed to read something like this on ERA. Thank you and welcome to my ignore list to a certain poster.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
You gotta be partially blind to fail to recognize recent swings in Resetera's reputation because of some users and moderation practices. Even Era users call this place a bubble.
I'm well aware we are under scrutiny in the old forum in example. I'm well aware there are Youtubers who ridicule Era. But the problem isn't Era, when those are communities that are vocally against inclusion, diversity and common decency. Era has the reputation of being "SJW". That's not a bad thing.
There are literally dedicated sites, youtube channels and twitter accounts whose sole reason is collecting and laughing at the stuff going on here. I mean, just now after the Ion Fury debacle, someone said to label resetera as a terorist organisation.
I know and I know what kind of people those are. Can you say labeling resetera as a terrorist organisation because of a thread calling out transphobia and homophobic language is in any way reasonable?

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I think we're long past the point where anybody needs informing about what THQ did.

Obviously, holding an AMA on 8chan was dangerously stupid and it's a good enough reason to be completely turned off by them. Not wanting to buy THQ Nordic games because they advertised themselves on 8chan is an understandable position to take and nobody's complaining about that. But like any other self-boycotts it's also your prerogative.

Mine, and I think everybody else's big concern was the potential that a major game company like THQN would normalize 8chan and the rhetoric they use. That the only audience that THQN would now want/allow is shitheads on 8chan and having a big game company on their side isn't a good thing. And that just didn't happen. Eventually 8chan would garner its own massive backlash through mainstream coverage due to tragic event completely disconnected from THQN. The site was shut down, the alt-right lost a major platform, and everybody not a nazi hates 8chan now. In that regard the threat of 8chan normalizing nazism is over, not that it's still not a threat but it's still a major loss for them. Hell, THQN washed their hands basically right away and they haven't done anything similar before or after since. That's why it's easy to move on from. Not is 8chan and what it represents gone, but THQN hasn't shown any consistent right-wing or alt-right behavior before or after since. So it comes across less of them being shitty alt-right organization and more of a stupid marketing stunt done out of apathy by the management. It doesn't make it less wrong, but does make it easy to move on from. And where you stand on this is going to depend on where how ready you are to move on. Some never will which is fine, but this also didn't make a dent in the greater discourse around 8chan and internet nazism so it's easy not to care about it.

Ultimately though I think the approach we're taking with THQN is starting to get increasingly unnecessary. This forum talks about shitty companies all the time. Chick Fil A, unlike THQN, consistently has shitty values and does active harm to marginalized groups. Yet, that doesn't make anywhere near as much noise as this. Nintendo literally caved to Gamergate by firing an employee who was a target of theirs. Where's there copypasta telling them they were complicit in helping Gamergate? Those are whataboutisms sure but isn't "why do you care about EGS more?" and "Disney wouldn't have done this" also whataboutisms?

Not wanting to personally support THQN because of 8chan? Absolutely understandable. Discussing fighting nazis pedophiles online? Awesome I love doing that too. But going into some unrelated thread otherwise, and posting literally the exact same thing long after the point of relevance? I think you're better off discussing fighting internet Nazism elsewhere because it's not going to make much of a difference on top of ruining people's excitement for whatever remake is coming out.

I agree with most of your points here, but for me, even singling out Chick-Fil-A as an example of evil corporate culture shows how relative the practice of corporate accountability can be. The CEO has apologized and stopped giving money to the organizations that most upset people. Now I believe they still give money to Salvation Army and some other orgs that people find problematic and that's fine, my point isn't to defend Chick-Fil-A. My point is, how do we put them on a spectrum with companies like Nestle, and whatever Blackwater is calling itself today? It's difficult to objectively rank companies by how evil their corporate culture is for any number of reasons, not the least of which is how sensitive a person is to the specific topic at hand.

Different people are going to be different levels of upset based on their own perspectives and awareness, and I'm sympathetic to that, but I think in most cases people project their anger at corporations as a surrogate for meaningful political action. Probably because our society has been so thoroughly indoctrinated by capitalist thought that "vote with your wallet" is the most viable recourse for a lot of disenfranchised people.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) : Thread Derailing, Mod Whining, and Metacommentary
To me it is and so was NeoGAF im here for the breaking news and gaming related stuff, i couldn't careless about your discussion
I agree with you, I pick and choose spots to post these days on here for fear of being banned or ganged up on. It's like treading on thin ice here posting. This site is very good to get up to date news, Reviews etc. But people will attack your grammar on here to diminish your points, and will label you something over the slightest disagreement and its allowed.

I come here to read up on gaming news with a busy work schedule for the most part but that's about it. It's not a welcoming community in the least.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
It's the gleeful way that a lot of these people are doing it that is the problem.

Not that rational when nowhere in the post he/she is answering to does the person he/she is quoting say "all Germans are Nazis". Just comes off as tone policing.

And gamers aren't some oppressed minority being shat on for what they are but what large parts of the gamer community DO, so I don't understand why, in light of all the crap that gamers do (all the harassment, racism, homophobia, misogyny etc. that is on display in nearly every random competitive match ever played with chat involved and when many of the most popular "gamer celebrities" are toxic shitheads who keep getting away with bigotry & toxic behaviour) there'd be much controversy about a statement like that. Gamers have earned that reputation by driving away women, POC & other minorities from a lot of different communities en masse. Even a relatively progressive forum such as ResetEra is often too toxic for a lot of minorities & women who then abandon this forum because the (presumably) majority white, straight, male userbase is acting shitty towards them, and then you can expand that to the larger gamer crowd who give even less of a shit how they & others behave.

I was not tone policing whatsoever, I would never do such a thing.

I was saying that a statement like "something ironic about a nazi supporting company winning an award in Germany." is unacceptable, it's implying that the only reason this company won an award in Germany is because in the posters opinion, the company as a whole supports Nazis.

I don't think me finding that unacceptable is tone policing at all, I am just trying to stop those sort of bigoted generalisations about individuals who, firstly had nothing to do with the individuals who posted in that AMA and secondly, about German people in general supporting Nazism which is, imo, completely unfair and unjustified.

Some people who play games are oppressed minorities though, that's the point, when you use a term like "gamers" to describe a group in a derogatory way you are including every person who plays videogames, most people aren't going to be aware of how some people use "gamer" as a hateful ideology, like I said, even a site like Twitter, which is much larger than a gaming forum, isn't a representation of the wider public opinion.

I myself am a minority and I complete agree with everything you are saying about individuals in gaming communities and even some people who represent these communities, I have experienced this first hand myself.

But I also understand that there are many gamers who stand against this, such as the people on this very forum and the people who I play games with and let's face it, the vast majority of people who play games outside of these toxic communities, so I believe that using "gamer" as a generalisation is not helpful when discussing issues like this, it's better to focus on the individuals who are participating in the toxicity rather than lumping them all under one category because some people use the word "gamer" in an ideological sense to spew hateful rhetoric.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you, I pick and choose spots to post these days on here for fear of being banned or ganged up on. It's like treading on thin ice here posting. This site is very good to get up to date news, Reviews etc. But people will attack your grammar on here to diminish your points, and will label you something over the slightest disagreement and its allowed.

I come here to read up on gaming news with a busy work schedule for the most part but that's about it. It's not a welcoming community in the least.
Fully agree. Almost never post if I think it's a divisive opinion, not worth it.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty naive, imo.

High up staff members did something disgusting. THQ failed to prove they consider this an issue.

Not calling this out and just letting it float on by is exactly the kind of thing that helps this kind of hate become normalized.

This attitude of (in)directly blaming anyone who does not unconditionally join your crusade to being part of everything that's wrong according to you surely is not helping me to sympathize with your point of view.

THQ got a rapid Nazi-pedo--alt-right following out of all of this who will flock to their games & defend anything that they approve of that us EsJeiDoubljuus criticize.

Not surprised that gamers in general and a sizable portion of gamers her are fucking trash.

And neither do these. I can't see anyone sane really thinking that spouting off such stuff will be a help for your cause, but what do I know...

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns of Bigotry and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts; Prior Severe Ban for Dismissing Concerns Surrounding Representation
I'm well aware we are under scrutiny in the old forum in example. I'm well aware there are Youtubers who ridicule Era. But the problem isn't Era, when those are communities that are vocally against inclusion, diversity and common decency. Era has the reputation of being "SJW". That's not a bad thing.
I mean, it isn't good either. "SJW' has been used as a pejorative term for what feels like years now. And for some good reason. It really feels like a pretty sizeable group here are only doing it for personal validation rather than "the greater good", given how absurd some takes are.

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
Gameranx steals other people's videos, just FYI.
I had no idea, thanks for the heads up

Exactly i rarely post here anymore it just not worth it

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This attitude of (in)directly blaming anyone who does not unconditionally join your crusade to being part of everything that's wrong according to you surely is not helping me to sympathize with your point of view.

And neither do these. I can't see anyone sane really thinking that spouting off such stuff will be a help for your cause, but what do I know...
It's not blaming people without good cause, this is literally how hate becomes normalized.

Normal, every day folk not standing up to it often enough.

We need to fight it, actively. Not just put our heads down.

This is not attacking individuals, this is reality.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017

Where is the lie tho?

People and gamers obviously do no give a fuck so fuck them :)

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Tottaly agree. By his point of view, all the germans shoud be blame by the nazis, as the italians.

I'm not even gonna point the finger to all the americans because the USA was in favor of all dictators in south america during the 80s and 70s.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I was not tone policing whatsoever, I would never do such a thing.

I was saying that a statement like "something ironic about a nazi supporting company winning an award in Germany." is unacceptable, it's implying that the only reason this company won an award in Germany is because in the posters opinion, the company as a whole supports Nazis.

I don't think me finding that unacceptable is tone policing at all, I am just trying to stop those sort of bigoted generalisations about individuals who, firstly had nothing to do with the individuals who posted in that AMA and secondly, about German people in general supporting Nazism which is, imo, completely unfair and unjustified.
It doesn't imply that at all. It isn't the wisest comment but all it says is that there's some irony that a company that KNOWINGLY gave a huge signalboost to a hive of pedo-Nazis is getting a reward in German gameshow (basically, "funny how the gamer community doesn't give a fuck"), a country that cracks down on Nazis/Nazi propaganda fairly hard. That doesn't imply anything about everyone at THQ being nazi supporters or that the poster thinks all Germans are Nazis (which is what you said in your first post).

And, again, "gamers" aren't some oppressed minority. "Gamers are trash" isn't some harmful generalization, it speaks volumes of the current state of the hobby where women, POC, gay & transgender people & such have to abandon it (or at least not participate as freely & openly as they'd like) because they face so much toxicity & harassment from (mostly male) gamers.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck off. It's possible to not agree with what THQ Nordic did but then not want to boycott a company because of the thousands of people that are involved with their games.

You first mate.

fucking lol at dumbasses saying "you shouldn't boycott a company cause of what they do".
Yes I fucking can, that is what capitalism says all the time "VotE WItH yOuR WaLLet".

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I mean, it isn't good either. "SJW' has been used as a pejorative term for what feels like years now. And for some good reason. It really feels like a pretty sizeable group are only doing it for personal validation rather than "the greater good", given how absurd some takes are.
Correct, it's been used as a pejorative. But it's bit weird that asking for more diversity, calling out harmful and offensive stereotypes etc. is considered something to mock, no? I definitely can acknowledge that actually discussing these things can be rather messy here sometimes. In example that comment about Germany in this thread, the taunting in the first page doesn't help either. But atleast these issues get brought up. This forum has a lot of people who actually care and also people who are actually affected. There can be some unreasonable takes here on occasion, but those are still essentially harmless.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

It's clearly you who is blind to the consequences to the kind of inaction you promote, and to how pandering to Nazi pedos in the way that THQ did in the AMA did get them a rapid alt-right/Nazi defense force that will be a negative to any kind of constructive discourse in the future, if/when controversies arise.

Andokuky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well...
If they didn't take any measures against those employees.

Didn't the CEO of the company say it was being dealt with internally and that policies and processes would change?

The guy who put it on, at least AFAIK, doesn't have a history of supporting the shitty things 8chan stood for. What measures need to take place here for the angry mob to move on?

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling and antagonistic behaviour, personal attacks against other members over several posts in the thread
Well then, good luck with your fight, all I will say is you definitely have lost any goodwill from me by now, so job well done, I suppose. Not that you care - "constructive discourse", my ass.

Much as I dislike the shitheads on the bad side, you're not a single bit better and clearly in some cases proud of that as well.

I'll better go vent my aggressions in Wreckfest then.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Correct, it's been used as a pejorative. But it's bit weird that asking for more diversity, calling out harmful stereotypes etc. is considered something to mock, no? I definitely can acknowledge that actually discussing these things can be rather messy here sometimes. In example that comment about Germany in this thread, the taunting in the first page doesn't help either. But atleast these issues get brought up. This forum has a lot of people who actually care and also people who are actually affected.
The problem is the absurdity of some examples, like the one you mentioned, which are what sticks out the most. Yes, there's a lot of good people here, but part of the bad rep is also due to how moderation enforces their way of thinking without clear and unbiased rules. This thread's first page is a prime example.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Despite all the posts in here claiming that everyone here knows about the controversy and there's no point in bringing it up in every thread,

there's still posters going with the "It was just 2 guys" argument

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You first mate.

fucking lol at dumbasses saying "you shouldn't boycott a company cause of what they do".
Yes I fucking can, that is what capitalism says all the time "VotE WItH yOuR WaLLet".

Where did I say you can't boycott them? You're well within you right to. Barely seen anyone in this thread saying you shouldn't boycott them.

You shouldn't be able to call people trash because they don't fall in line with you though.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the CEO of the company say it was being dealt with internally and that policies and processes would change?

The guy who put it on, at least AFAIK, doesn't have a history of supporting the shitty things 8chan stood for. What measures need to take place here for the angry mob to move on?

One of the guys is on the fucking board.
You can bet your ass I'd skip that shit if someone on the damn board showed such bad judgment.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind.

Some of you are in total denial of how hate spreads. Really sad to see.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
You can choose to not accept their weakass apology, boycott their games and continue to highlight their shitty behaviour whenever they are mentioned, but that doesn't mean it's okay to attack others and make them feel guilty for accepting the apology and wanting to support developers/franchises that are unfortunately under the Embracer/Nordic umbrella.

It's not a good vs bad/black and white situation.
There's nothing wrong with people that think THQ Nordic deserves the award or that they chose not to care about the ama incident anymore or that are willing to buy their games even if they care.

Don't demonize said users.

There's also nothing wrong with users that feel offended by what happened and decide to boycott their games.

I neither attacked anyone, nor demonized. I only stated what's happening in this thread. If people choose to support a publisher that ever so clearly catered to 8chan and that awfulness, by all means do it. I retain my right to call it out if I don't agree with it.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
My post was completely reasonable and this is literally how it works.

Your lack of conviction is exactly how we have let hate rise so much across the globe.

Very disappointing.

I'll give you that you're not resorting to insults like others on your side, but you still clearly convey the strict "fall in line with me/us or you are the enemy" attitude. I don't see how that is supposed to improve anything.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
While i generally agree with your ocassional posts i believe that in this instance they only learned how to get away with it.

You may be right my friend, I truly believe if nothing has changed it will only be a matter of time before something like this happens again and if it does it will represent a pattern of behaviour in which case serious reprecussions should be the result.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If I never shower, I stink.

It doesn't matter how badly I want to smell good. It doesn't matter how I kick or scream that I don't smell at all. Until I recognize that not cleaning myself causes me to stink, and until I take the measures necessary to stop me from stinking, I'm going to stink.

That isn't me being made into a victim by anyone. That's me being a human being that lives in the real world.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you thate you're not resorting to insults like others on your side, but you still clearly convey the strict "fall in line with me/us or you are the enemy" attitude. I don't see how that is supposed to improve anything.
No I don't convey that in the slightest.

The reality is that we have allowed hate to rise and become normalized, all of us. So we all need to take more action, it's too important not to.

Never called anyone my enemy, don't put words into my mouth please.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I really hope this thread gets locked. This was supposed to be a discussion about the award, not another THQ Nordic argument thread.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
THQ has many seperate developers under their wing. I feel like you cant just treat it all as one evil entity.

With that I think it's deserved

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this thread gets locked. This was supposed to be a discussion about the award, not another THQ Nordic argument thread.
"I just want to talk about video games"

Plenty of other places online you can so this. This forum was literally built on principles that are against the hate THQ supported.

Consistency here is to be expected.

Go make a discord for no politics video game talk if you want. Plenty of people here will join you.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017

Discussing about THQ and the AMA is perfectly fine since it does relate to this award imo. Whats not fine is that a lot of the "arguments" are not arguments but name calling ( "you are trash if you still buy THQ games" , "you are trash if you boycot them because the developers aren't to blame") and when a thread is more than 50 % just name calling, maybe it needs to close.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece

Oh, you think that anyone that is against people enabling nazis and pedophiles is part of an angry mob because the enablers have no known history of supporting this kind of idiocy?

It wasn't that big of a deal normalizing 8chaners after all, it's the internet outrage all over again. /s

They had one decent thing to do and they chose to respond with the "hide it under the rug" process and policy, as it seems.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The problem is the absurdity of some examples, like the one you mentioned, which are what sticks out the most. Yes, there's a lot of good people here, but part of the bad rep is also due to how moderation enforces their way of thinking without clear and unbiased rules. This thread's first page is a prime example.
The thread's first page is full of immature posts, it's reveling in the controversy around THQ. I'm sure you also see how it doesn't atleast improve the discussion. There's definitely strict moderation and I personally like it, not that I would agree with every decision they make. But for me it makes this site one of the best places for gaming news and discussion (if not the best). I'm interested to read and talk about politics in games in example, here I can do it without people shouting about "SJW:s" and "outrage culture" to my ear.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Like, what kind of opinions do you hold that you are afraid to post them? The only "dogpiling" I see are the kind that are either followed by clear trolling/low-effort posts, straight up misogyny, racism, homophobia or transphobia, or dismissal of other people's concerns (i.e. going to the "Why women criticize sexualized female character designs" thread with a "why do you people care so much, this is such a dumb thing to be worried about" post). All-in-ll ResetEra is filled with a whole plethora of different opinions that are discussed fairly calmly all around the board (with maybe some overboards here and there but the worst kind usually gets bans (when mods notice/are notified) if it goes beyond argumenting the points and turns personal)

Something like "Uncharted 4 is unplayable trash with shit graphics" will get you a lot of answers, some of them perhaps a bit harsh. "I didn't really enjoy Uncharted 4 because of X, Y & Z" generally doesn't, at least not the kind where people will attack you. You people always say this but, like, outside of some fanboyish behaviour (that is still pretty tame compared to the doxxing/death threats you can get on other platforms), you either have to post in a very provocative way or hold some very shitty views or bring up your unpopular views in a shitty way to get ganged up on. Like, I crap on 2001: A Space Odyssey all the time, one of the holy grails of movie buffs, and I don't feel particularly dogpiled on even when there are sometimes quite a few people who pick up on that.

Besides, what is so horrible in getting quoted by some people?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy the turnaround this company has made. They went from dead to a bunch of awesome "AA" games.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I mean, it isn't good either. "SJW' has been used as a pejorative term for what feels like years now. And for some good reason. It really feels like a pretty sizeable group here are only doing it for personal validation rather than "the greater good", given how absurd some takes are.

So it isn't good to be inclusive, is that what I should take from your comment? Since SJW "tag" stems from just being inclusive and calling out misstreatments towards minority groups and other groups keen to discrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.